Minnesota 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
faceman9000
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:34 am

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby faceman9000 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:02 pm

robin600 wrote:
faceman9000 wrote:Because it is about medians and not averages, it is always better to be a splitter with one # above the median than to be "balanced" with both #s below. Whether or not justice is served by this system is certainly up for debate.

True true, I just sometimes think some schools take a 162/4.0 and 170/3.0 to balance each other when they could just take two 166/3.5s who most likely will attend anyways. I think UMN is kind of doing that this year. Maybe it's because they're a state school, are they one of the schools that has a %of in state students they need to meet?


Actually, UMN is not a state school--part of the publicly funded MN state school system that gives "state schools" that title--it is a large independent public university.

Again, it is all about medians when it comes to the USNWR rankings, so a 166/3.5 can only lower the #s of a school like UMN whose medians are 167/3.6ish. Remember that the median is the middle number so balance is virtually meaningless because an average is not taken. It does mean that you are a well-rounded candidate who can excel in class and on tests, which looks good on an app.

User avatar
faceman9000
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:34 am

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby faceman9000 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:10 pm

Every school does it to a certain extent. Splitters are the most common applicants out there. The rarest applicants are the ones who have both GPA/LSAT above the medians at any given t20 school, and of course they are likely to attend the best school to which they get accepted.

Schools need splitters, and splitters can be ever thankful for USNWR for the emphasis on medians and not means.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby robin600 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:48 pm

faceman9000 wrote:
robin600 wrote:
faceman9000 wrote:Because it is about medians and not averages, it is always better to be a splitter with one # above the median than to be "balanced" with both #s below. Whether or not justice is served by this system is certainly up for debate.

True true, I just sometimes think some schools take a 162/4.0 and 170/3.0 to balance each other when they could just take two 166/3.5s who most likely will attend anyways. I think UMN is kind of doing that this year. Maybe it's because they're a state school, are they one of the schools that has a %of in state students they need to meet?


Actually, UMN is not a state school--part of the publicly funded MN state school system that gives "state schools" that title--it is a large independent public university.

Again, it is all about medians when it comes to the USNWR rankings, so a 166/3.5 can only lower the #s of a school like UMN whose medians are 167/3.6ish. Remember that the median is the middle number so balance is virtually meaningless because an average is not taken. It does mean that you are a well-rounded candidate who can excel in class and on tests, which looks good on an app.

I agree with you to some extent, I think sometimes schools focus too much on the numbers for their rankings and less on well qualified candidates sometimes. There are a lot of people with extenuating circumstances that aren't given the benefit of the doubt because of numbers. I just think many schools should consider these circumstances more closely than they actually do.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby robin600 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:05 pm

Just sent off a LOCI!!!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:08 pm

robin600 wrote:Just sent off a LOCI!!!!!!!!!!!!



Good luck!

User avatar
bluejayk
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:06 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby bluejayk » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:24 pm

Got a weird call the other day from UM, just someone from admissions calling to say 'hi', asked me if I have any questions. I was admitted about a month ago, and got no call, no e-mail back then, maybe they just realized I had fallen through the cracks yesterday. Anyway, I felt kinda dumb, because I was driving home from work when the guy called and when he asked me if I had any questions about UM I was like "Uhm.. not right now. Uh.. thanks for calling!" Then, ten minutes later I remembered stuff I would have liked to ask.

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby CyLaw » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:25 pm

bluejayk wrote:Got a weird call the other day from UM, just someone from admissions calling to say 'hi', asked me if I have any questions. I was admitted about a month ago, and got no call, no e-mail back then, maybe they just realized I had fallen through the cracks yesterday. Anyway, I felt kinda dumb, because I was driving home from work when the guy called and when he asked me if I had any questions about UM I was like "Uhm.. not right now. Uh.. thanks for calling!" Then, ten minutes later I remembered stuff I would have liked to ask.


Exact same thing happened to me yesterday with an Alum.

ihatethelsat
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:19 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby ihatethelsat » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:24 pm

I got a waitlist today and my stats are 158/3.3. Just shows that numbers aren't everything, so don't always listen to the haters.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby robin600 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:31 pm

ihatethelsat wrote:I got a waitlist today and my stats are 158/3.3. Just shows that numbers aren't everything, so don't always listen to the haters.

+1 haters suck!

User avatar
Prairie
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby Prairie » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:50 am

i hope you guys are right about splitters getting love, as umn is my 1. i know i have a long, anxious wait ahead of me before i know. only went "in review" on jan. 6...

User avatar
faceman9000
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:34 am

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby faceman9000 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:29 pm

robin600 wrote:
faceman9000 wrote:
robin600 wrote:
faceman9000 wrote:Because it is about medians and not averages, it is always better to be a splitter with one # above the median than to be "balanced" with both #s below. Whether or not justice is served by this system is certainly up for debate.

True true, I just sometimes think some schools take a 162/4.0 and 170/3.0 to balance each other when they could just take two 166/3.5s who most likely will attend anyways. I think UMN is kind of doing that this year. Maybe it's because they're a state school, are they one of the schools that has a %of in state students they need to meet?


Actually, UMN is not a state school--part of the publicly funded MN state school system that gives "state schools" that title--it is a large independent public university.

Again, it is all about medians when it comes to the USNWR rankings, so a 166/3.5 can only lower the #s of a school like UMN whose medians are 167/3.6ish. Remember that the median is the middle number so balance is virtually meaningless because an average is not taken. It does mean that you are a well-rounded candidate who can excel in class and on tests, which looks good on an app.

I agree with you to some extent, I think sometimes schools focus too much on the numbers for their rankings and less on well qualified candidates sometimes. There are a lot of people with extenuating circumstances that aren't given the benefit of the doubt because of numbers. I just think many schools should consider these circumstances more closely than they actually do.


Actually robin I agree with you completely. I should be clear that I am not advocating this system, rather, I want to explain UMN's strategy and why they have adopted it this cycle. GL with your LOCI, you have great passion and determination. I hope things work out.

kfollpub
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:20 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby kfollpub » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:22 pm

Is there a consensus how long decision are taking? I sent mine in 12/17, received 12/18, complete 12/18, in review a second time on 1/8.

167/3.55 with 3 years work experience, went to top liberal arts in the Midwest.

User avatar
Neil
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby Neil » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:52 pm

kfollpub wrote:Is there a consensus how long decision are taking? I sent mine in 12/17, received 12/18, complete 12/18, in review a second time on 1/8.

167/3.55 with 3 years work experience, went to top liberal arts in the Midwest.



I was: received 12/03, in review for a second time 12/18, accepted 01/07. Stats in profile, MN resident.

Good luck!

User avatar
UFMatt
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:59 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby UFMatt » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:55 pm

For me it was 6 weeks from completion for a decision, but then again I applied late October. Things might be faster now that they're in full gear.

jerzgrl630
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby jerzgrl630 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:58 pm

I've been under review since 12/8. This feels like an eternity. But I'm not an auto-admit (or even close) so I guess I just have to be really patient.

kfollpub
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:20 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby kfollpub » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:33 pm

Hm, that is interesting...I keep on going back and forth about whether I feel good about getting in or not. My numbers are in the median and I have really great work experience, but its hard to say....

uofmsbiggestfan
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 3:03 am

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby uofmsbiggestfan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:30 pm

kfollpub wrote:Is there a consensus how long decision are taking? I sent mine in 12/17, received 12/18, complete 12/18, in review a second time on 1/8.


I was complete on 11/13, UR 12/18, DR 1/7 if that helps out. I was also under the Early Action so they had to tell me by 1/15.

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby JOThompson » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:15 pm

ihatethelsat wrote:I got a waitlist today and my stats are 158/3.3. Just shows that numbers aren't everything, so don't always listen to the haters.

+1

They took a very holistic approach to my app. I didn't even think I'd get a waitlist.

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby calicocat » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:15 pm

In just a minute ago by phone call!

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby Veritas » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:15 pm

Oli wrote:In just a minute ago by phone call!

Congrats, Oli! Great week for you!

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby calicocat » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:17 pm

Veritas wrote:
Oli wrote:In just a minute ago by phone call!

Congrats, Oli! Great week for you!

Not bad! hehe

If anyone is curious Applied 11/14, UR 11/18 then 12/30. Status checker didn't change this morning. Will be getting packet in the mail in a week. No scholarship info over the phone.

Geist13
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby Geist13 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:29 pm

IN!! Just got the call. 167/3.09. Complete UR 11/20 -> UR 12/20 -> UR 12/30. Was expecting to get in, but super psyched as its the first non-safety i've heard from (my application does not, in fact, have a major defect!!!). Don't know how I feel about moving to the mid-west but of the three mid-west schools I applied to (MINN, WUSTL, UIUC) they're tops on my list.

For those interested, the call came before my status changed.

eagerbeaver
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:47 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby eagerbeaver » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:51 pm

Did anyone elses' status checker change to UR 1/14? This will be the fourth time my UR date has changed...And I applied under EA, so I should be hearing my response tomorrow! Anyone, anyone?

gugi13
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:36 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby gugi13 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:01 pm

My status checker also updated today for the 3rd time. I am not EA though but went complete 11/12 or around there.

User avatar
Neil
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby Neil » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:07 pm

Geist13 wrote:IN!! Just got the call. 167/3.09. Complete UR 11/20 -> UR 12/20 -> UR 12/30. Was expecting to get in, but super psyched as its the first non-safety i've heard from (my application does not, in fact, have a major defect!!!). Don't know how I feel about moving to the mid-west but of the three mid-west schools I applied to (MINN, WUSTL, UIUC) they're tops on my list.

For those interested, the call came before my status changed.


Congrats! Why no love for the Midwest? Having lived in the Northeast for a good part of the past seven years, I've heard plenty of bias against our "flyover" states. But I've met several people who moved out to Minnesota for college or grad school who have said they loved it. Cold in the winter, yes-- but I'd definitely recommend visiting, it suits a lot of people who wouldn't expect it to suit them.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”