Minnesota 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:26 pm

robin600 wrote:
Slimpee wrote:
sdegarmo wrote:at least you guys got waitlisted

gots rejected 165/3.3, but i hear UMN is more gpa weighted

same thing happened to me at fordham, everyone got waitlisted and i got rejected

MN is being wicked splitter-happy this year. a 161/162, 3.8 will get you in the door or a 169/3.0 and you're in.

Those of us in the middle aren't getting love...

A lot of schools are splitter happy this year. So for those of us who try really hard and succeed in both areas get fucked...gotta love life.

Can you retake the LSAT in Feb?

Either way getting WL'd with your numbers is a testament to how good your app was, since last year it was autodeny at Minn.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:27 pm

robin600 wrote:A lot of schools are splitter happy this year. So for those of us who try really hard and succeed in both areas get fucked...gotta love life.

robin, I understand your frustration, but statements like this are not fair. Sure, I'm a splitter, but that doesn't mean I didn't try hard in school. I went through a lot the first few years, and my gpa suffered for it, but I worked my ass off the last few years while also working full time. My low gpa does not mean I am not a hard worker or a good student.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:28 pm

ntzsch wrote:
robin600 wrote:
Slimpee wrote:

same thing happened to me at fordham, everyone got waitlisted and i got rejected

MN is being wicked splitter-happy this year. a 161/162, 3.8 will get you in the door or a 169/3.0 and you're in.

A lot of schools are splitter happy this year. So for those of us who try really hard and succeed in both areas get fucked...gotta love life.

which ones do you have in mind?

William and Mary, Georgetown, Indiana, Georgia ummm the list keeps going

jerzgrl630

Postby jerzgrl630 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:30 pm

I keep reviewing my status checker and holding my breath as it loads. I'm still in review but I'm terrified of the outcome.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:31 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
robin600 wrote:A lot of schools are splitter happy this year. So for those of us who try really hard and succeed in both areas get fucked...gotta love life.

robin, I understand your frustration, but statements like this are not fair. Sure, I'm a splitter, but that doesn't mean I didn't try hard in school. I went through a lot the first few years, and my gpa suffered for it, but I worked my ass off the last few years while also working full time. My low gpa does not mean I am not a hard worker or a good student.

NB, that's specifically why i said try really hard and succeed. I'm sure you tried really hard (I did too, eight surgeries actually) but you didn't get the higher GPA and that's fine, shit happens. I'm just saying that if you have a good gpa you should be rewarded. If that came out wrong I apologize. All I meant was if you're balanced you're fucked.

Rose Tyler

Postby Rose Tyler » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:31 pm

Those that got WL/Rejected, did your status checker change or did you get an email?

jackiemanuel

Postby jackiemanuel » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:31 pm

Rejected
2.65/170

jackiemanuel

Postby jackiemanuel » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:33 pm

chigal16 wrote:Those that got WL/Rejected, did your status checker change or did you get an email?

Rose Tyler

Postby Rose Tyler » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:34 pm

jackiemanuel wrote:
chigal16 wrote:Those that got WL/Rejected, did your status checker change or did you get an email?

Thank you, and sorry about the reject :(

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
robin600 wrote:
Slimpee wrote:

Can you retake the LSAT in Feb?

Either way getting WL'd with your numbers is a testament to how good your app was, since last year it was autodeny at Minn.

Thanks Desert Fox, I'm currently scheduled to retake the LSAT in Feb. but I have to wait for my accommodations to go through and LSAC is slower than molasses with processing them. I submitted everything a month ago and still haven't been approved yet (and I have been approved before obviously) so Feb. might not go through. I feel like I'm wearing a scarlett letter that says F for fail.

jerzgrl630

Postby jerzgrl630 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:46 pm

I don't know with any certainty on this, but is UMN really big on writing skills? I got that impression from them when I read the personal essay instructions but I was curious if anyone knew anything about this. I just ask because thus far their decisions seem a lot more spread out this year in terms of numbers.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:48 pm

jerzgrl630 wrote:I don't know with any certainty on this, but is UMN really big on writing skills? I got that impression from them when I read the personal essay instructions but I was curious if anyone knew anything about this. I just ask because thus far their decisions seem a lot more spread out this year in terms of numbers.

I think they're just spreading out because they know this app cycle is all sorts of messed up so they don't know who really will end up attending.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:53 pm

robin600 wrote:
jerzgrl630 wrote:I don't know with any certainty on this, but is UMN really big on writing skills? I got that impression from them when I read the personal essay instructions but I was curious if anyone knew anything about this. I just ask because thus far their decisions seem a lot more spread out this year in terms of numbers.

I think they're just spreading out because they know this app cycle is all sorts of messed up so they don't know who really will end up attending.

This is correct. They screwed up last year and don't want it to happen again this year so they're hedging their bets with splitters. Pretty smart, actually, because for a lot of splitters MN may be one of the best, if the THE best school they get into...

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:55 pm

robin600 wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:

NB, that's specifically why i said try really hard and succeed. I'm sure you tried really hard (I did too, eight surgeries actually) but you didn't get the higher GPA and that's fine, shit happens. I'm just saying that if you have a good gpa you should be rewarded. If that came out wrong I apologize. All I meant was if you're balanced you're fucked.

TBH, you're not really "balanced" for UMN. A WL shouldn't be such a shock, imho.

faceman9000

Postby faceman9000 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:58 pm

I believe they are. UMN is one of the only schools to allow up to 5 pages for a PS. I used all 5 and tailored it quite specifically to the school and its various programs and how my "personal" journey intertwined with the overall personality of UMN.

Everyone should also keep in mind that there is a new Dean of Admissions this year, and he is attacking apps with a very different strategy from the previous DOA because of some complications that occured toward the end of last year's cycle. With that in mind, it is not that uncommon for any school to accept splitters who have either GPA/LSAT above the median.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:02 pm

faceman9000 wrote:

I believe they are. UMN is one of the only schools to allow up to 5 pages for a PS. I used all 5 and tailored it quite specifically to the school and its various programs and how my "personal" journey intertwined with the overall personality of UMN.

Everyone should also keep in mind that there is a new Dean of Admissions this year, and he is attacking apps with a very different strategy from the previous DOA because of some complications that occured toward the end of last year's cycle. With that in mind, it is not that uncommon for any school to accept splitters who have either GPA/LSAT above the median.

What happened last cycle.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:06 pm

Desert Fox wrote:What happened last cycle.

Check out the 25th percentile on their website and then take a guess...

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:10 pm

Slimpee wrote:

Ha, gotcha.

faceman9000

Postby faceman9000 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:11 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
faceman9000 wrote:

What happened last cycle.

IDK the whole story, but I believe it involved a situation where they accepted too many applicants with both #s above both medians, and rejected/WLed too many people "on the fence". As you can imagine, the yield was too low near the end of the cycle and they had to go into panic mode--pulling all sorts of people off the WL, etc. They effectively gambled to raise both medians as high as possible and lost. So this year they have taken more of a strategic approach, accepting splitters with at least one # above the median who are far more likely to attend (and cancel each other out).

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:12 pm

faceman9000 wrote:They effectively gambled to raise both medians as high as possible and lost.

I have a feeling this will be Cornell this year.

http://cornell.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Most of the people in the green will get into better schools, and then Cornell will be fucked. And I will laugh, because I'm in the red.
Last edited by NancyBotwin on Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:12 pm

Slimpee wrote:

Ok. Now that is interesting. I was wondering what was up with those numbers. To be candid, and quite frankly this may make me sound like a jerk, I was really quite "turned off" by the 25th % figures at UMN.

I just couldn't fathom why there was such a discrepancy. If you are telling me that they have acknowledged this as a mistake, then this makes me a bit more interested in attending. I really love UMN, so I'm still planning a visit!

Also, got a call today from an Alum. He just wanted to chat, which was cool.

sckon

Postby sckon » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:13 pm

Waitlisted today. Not a top school for me so no loss. Good luck to everyone else.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:15 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
Ok. Now that is interesting. I was wondering what was up with those numbers. To be candid, and quite frankly this may make me sound like a jerk, I was really quite "turned off" by the 25th % figures at UMN.

I just couldn't fathom why there was such a discrepancy. If you are telling me that they have acknowledged this as a mistake, then this makes me a bit more interested in attending. I really love UMN, so I'm still planning a visit!

Also, got a call today from an Alum. He just wanted to chat, which was cool.

It's not that they acknowledge any mistakes but they thought they were well on their way to passing up BU and WashU but yeah...Faceman nailed it on the head...

faceman9000

Postby faceman9000 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:17 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
faceman9000 wrote:They effectively gambled to raise both medians as high as possible and lost.

Most of the people in the green will get into better schools, and then Cornell will be fucked. And I will laugh, because I'm in the red.

Ha, yes...and they will wish they would have at least WLed you...but they are dumb and stupid.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:17 pm

faceman9000 wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:

Ha, yes...and they will wish they would have at least WLed you...but they are dumb and stupid.

Exactly.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”