Minnesota 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
scgoaliface32
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby scgoaliface32 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:11 pm

Yup. Has anyone who is still waiting/waited 12+ weeks for a decision emailed the admissions office asking for an update or estimate of when they'd render a decision? For me this is 100% just for curiousity's sake but I definitely want my decision sooner rather than even later.

krj02004
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby krj02004 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:10 am

scgoaliface32 wrote:Yup. Has anyone who is still waiting/waited 12+ weeks for a decision emailed the admissions office asking for an update or estimate of when they'd render a decision? For me this is 100% just for curiousity's sake but I definitely want my decision sooner rather than even later.



Read the first comment on this page... i called the admissions office.

User avatar
scgoaliface32
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby scgoaliface32 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:04 pm

2+ months is 8+ weeks; you didn't say if you were over 12 weeks or not. Assumed you were somewhere in between 2 and 3 months.

Wondering if we can get an estimate for how long this "priority pile" means.

krj02004
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby krj02004 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:34 pm

scgoaliface32 wrote:2+ months is 8+ weeks; you didn't say if you were over 12 weeks or not. Assumed you were somewhere in between 2 and 3 months.

Wondering if we can get an estimate for how long this "priority pile" means.



Sorry... yes I'm over 12 weeks now (13 or 14). THe admissions rep said he couldn't give a time frame after 12 weeks... ust that the file is pushed ot the top. Whatever that means :(. I just don't see how there are too many spots open at this point.. And I know they've admitted WL folks, so I'm not expecting much.

User avatar
scgoaliface32
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby scgoaliface32 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:06 pm

Yea I feel you. I'm on week 13. How do you feel about your other options at this point?

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby Slimpee » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:12 am

I feel for those of you who have been waiting 12+ weeks...

I've been on the WL since 12/1 and just sent my 2nd LOCI. I'm not too hopeful, however, as i'm below both medians (although above both 25th percentiles)

krj02004
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby krj02004 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:57 pm

scgoaliface32 wrote:Yea I feel you. I'm on week 13. How do you feel about your other options at this point?



I'm down to Iowa or Vandy. Probably Iowa since they gave me a full-ride.... but I just talked to Vanderbilt and they told me to write a letter to the scholarship committee to re-review.

I guess I can't go wrong with either choice... but I like Minnesota's location and prestige more than Iowa's for sure.

krj02004
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby krj02004 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:01 am

Finally "In Review" again 6/9/10 :|

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby JOThompson » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:16 am

krj02004 wrote:
scgoaliface32 wrote:Yea I feel you. I'm on week 13. How do you feel about your other options at this point?



I'm down to Iowa or Vandy. Probably Iowa since they gave me a full-ride.... but I just talked to Vanderbilt and they told me to write a letter to the scholarship committee to re-review.

I guess I can't go wrong with either choice... but I like Minnesota's location and prestige more than Iowa's for sure.

+1 on the location.

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby Slimpee » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:51 pm

krj02004 wrote:
scgoaliface32 wrote:
I guess I can't go wrong with either choice... but I like Minnesota's location and prestige more than Iowa's for sure.


Minneapolis is a sick city for sure but as for prestige...they're considered pretty close to the same IRL. I've talked with several attorneys in the Twin Cities, including partners at larger firms, and all have said that Iowa is a great school and a few went so far as to say that Iowa and MN are very close to the same in terms of quality (including a former Dean and Faculty member at MN)...don't let TLS big-city bias sway you.

Plus, if you want to talk rankings Iowa and MN have been within 2-3 spots since USNWR started doing their thing: http://www.prelawhandbook.com/law_schoo ... sn_history

User avatar
talented_mr_ripley
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:31 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby talented_mr_ripley » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:35 am

biggest rip off ever at $75 application fee. You would think that would entitle us to have our apps read in three months or less, no such luck. Wherever that fee money's going it is not toward evaluating applications.

krj02004
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby krj02004 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:38 pm

Finally got my initial decision via email today. Waitlisted obviously... it's freakin mid-June.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby Tanicius » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:59 pm

krj02004 wrote:Finally got my initial decision via email today. Waitlisted obviously... it's freakin mid-June.


LOL... Man. I think this unexpected flood of applicants is nothing unique to Minnesota this year, but based on this thread they seemed to have really gone overboard admitting people early on.

User avatar
scgoaliface32
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby scgoaliface32 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:58 pm

krj02004 wrote:Finally got my initial decision via email today. Waitlisted obviously... it's freakin mid-June.


I say Congrats lol I'm still (STILL!) in review.

User avatar
sques001
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:14 am

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby sques001 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:48 pm

Any action on the Minnesota waitlist?? Have been on it since December :(

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby Slimpee » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:06 pm

sques001 wrote:Any action on the Minnesota waitlist?? Have been on it since December :(


Yes, there has been action. And i've been on it since Dec. as well.

But according to your profile you're in at Penn...why mess around w/ MN?

User avatar
sques001
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:14 am

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby sques001 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:23 pm

Slimpee wrote:
sques001 wrote:Any action on the Minnesota waitlist?? Have been on it since December :(


Yes, there has been action. And i've been on it since Dec. as well.

But according to your profile you're in at Penn...why mess around w/ MN?



Well I got into Penn State not UPenn.. so in terms of rankings Minnesota is top 20 while Penn is not even top 50.. I know someone who was on the WL from Minnesota last year and he didn't get in until late July.. so we're in for a longg summer

User avatar
jayn3
Posts: 667
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby jayn3 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:42 pm

If anyone needs somewhere cheap to live for July & August so you can do a good apt hunt, pm me....I'm moving out of my sublease for a killer place =)

User avatar
scgoaliface32
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby scgoaliface32 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:39 pm

Waitlist! WOOOO!!

krj02004
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby krj02004 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:12 am

scgoaliface32 wrote:Waitlist! WOOOO!!



LOL... join the club!

cassieyuc
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby cassieyuc » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:57 am

me too, just wondering when will the final decision be made?

do you guys think UNC is a better choice than UMN in terms of location?

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby Tanicius » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:42 am

cassieyuc wrote:me too, just wondering when will the final decision be made?

do you guys think UNC is a better choice than UMN in terms of location?


For what career location?

cassieyuc
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby cassieyuc » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:21 am

private law firm opportunities.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby Tanicius » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:52 pm

cassieyuc wrote:private law firm opportunities.


I mean in what part of the country?

User avatar
dvd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby dvd » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:10 pm

'
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 88234, bleakchimera2, crimsonknight, eastring, glockov, Google Adsense [Bot], Kaziende, lawschool2016nyc, lg77, Long shot hero, longsh0305, mav1993, mm2368, mse2020, MSNbot Media, potterotter, Snowjon, ValeVale, VapidP, whodareswins, yuppitsme and 43 guests