Minnesota 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
primusux

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Postby primusux » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:18 pm

bobbycortez wrote:applied early feb, in review 2/12, then updated to in review 4/30... then waitlist email. not bad considering my waaay sub-3.0 gpa... maybe if you havent received the email yet, it means youre in?

Do they not do it in batches? I know places like USC do all rejections one day, accepts another etc.

edit - better not out myself hah

bobbycortez

Postby bobbycortez » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:22 pm

primusux wrote:
bobbycortez wrote:applied early feb, in review 2/12, then updated to in review 4/30... then waitlist email. not bad considering my waaay sub-3.0 gpa... maybe if you havent received the email yet, it means youre in?

Do they not do it in batches? I know places like USC do all rejections one day, accepts another etc.

sigh... edit - I went IR at least 3 times. I vaguely recall a fourth but it was at least 3.

i know that in my previous email from them they stated i would be hearing within 10-12 weeks.. today was exactly 12 weeks from that email

on another note - id really like to send a LOCI, but im not doing anything new that i havent already told them via my application. hold off on writing and sending a LOCI?
Last edited by bobbycortez on Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

procrastinator

Postby procrastinator » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:23 pm

Minnesota's doing a waitlist now? 2 years ago I was placed under "competitive hold" or whatever they called it, which was like a waitlist, except with a solid terminal date.

primusux

Postby primusux » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:26 pm

bobbycortez wrote:i know that in my previous email from them they stated i would be hearing within 10-12 weeks.. today was exactly 12 weeks from that email

on another note - id really like to send a LOCI, but im not doing anything new that i havent already told them via my application. hold off on writing and sending a LOCI?

My thought would be to send one with some kind of update. Gotta show interest somehow.

KidCharlemagne

Postby KidCharlemagne » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:39 pm

Went complete on 2/1, in review several times - most recently 4/23. Haven't heard a peep in nearly 3 months.

procrastinator

Postby procrastinator » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:43 pm

My in review still says March 12.

skamike

Postby skamike » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:21 pm

I called today. They said it'll be another 1-2 weeks (above and beyond the 10-12 weeks they had originally quoted)

primusux

Postby primusux » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:32 pm

Still no email so looks like I'm out of luck until Monday at the earliest. Unless they process all rejections at once in the evening or something

primusux

Postby primusux » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:55 pm

Well, still no email even though it says it was sent. Does anyone know if the deposit area changes if you're in? If so then I wont worry about it cause it didn't change :(
Is there any other way to check?

thanks!

dvd

Postby dvd » Sat May 01, 2010 3:02 am

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

primusux

Postby primusux » Sat May 01, 2010 3:25 am

dvd wrote:
jman77 wrote:
Kitzhof wrote:Just got off the wait list! I can't believe I am writing this. :D

So it looks like they're already taking applicants off the waitlist (some even with offers of full rides), while they haven't even rendered decisions one way or another on several other applicants yet.

What a weird process they run...

And congrats, Kitzhof... my post was not meant as an affront to your acceptance, just an observation on the UMN admissions process.

In off the waitlist, and taking the opportunity! Regardless other whether or not it is weird.

Are you saying you just got an email?

jman77

Postby jman77 » Sat May 01, 2010 8:51 am

dvd wrote:
jman77 wrote:
Kitzhof wrote:Just got off the wait list! I can't believe I am writing this. :D

So it looks like they're already taking applicants off the waitlist (some even with offers of full rides), while they haven't even rendered decisions one way or another on several other applicants yet.

What a weird process they run...

And congrats, Kitzhof... my post was not meant as an affront to your acceptance, just an observation on the UMN admissions process.

In off the waitlist, and taking the opportunity! Regardless other whether or not it is weird.

As you very well should, it is a fantastic offer. Congrats! I still think it's somewhat bad form to be taking people off the WL while there are still several applicants hanging in limbo without a decision of some form or another.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Sat May 01, 2010 12:03 pm

jman77 wrote: I still think it's somewhat bad form to be taking people off the WL while there are still several applicants hanging in limbo without a decision of some form or another.

Why? Just because they haven't rendered a decision, doesn't mean that haven't read and assessed an applicants file and subsequently determined they'd rather admit someone from the waitlist.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Sat May 01, 2010 12:09 pm

Geist13 wrote:
jman77 wrote: I still think it's somewhat bad form to be taking people off the WL while there are still several applicants hanging in limbo without a decision of some form or another.

Why? Just because they haven't rendered a decision, doesn't mean that haven't read and assessed an applicants file and subsequently determined they'd rather admit someone from the waitlist.

Well if they have made that assessment, then they should either accept, reject, wait list or hold. Don't just leave people completely clueless this long after your (and many other school's) deposit date. I am no longer considering the U of MN...but I still think this is bad form. I mean, it is their prerogative...I am just glad I had a fee waiver!

jman77

Postby jman77 » Sat May 01, 2010 12:39 pm

nowinGA wrote:
Geist13 wrote:

Well if they have made that assessment, then they should either accept, reject, wait list or hold. Don't just leave people completely clueless this long after your (and many other school's) deposit date. I am no longer considering the U of MN...but I still think this is bad form. I mean, it is their prerogative...I am just glad I had a fee waiver!

Exactly. If you have already made an assessment and feel that people on the WL are better than people who have yet to get a decision, then doesn't it follow that it's in good form to reject or at least WL the people who have yet to hear a decision? Or at least inform them they have been put on hold, rather than just keep them hanging?

dvd

Postby dvd » Sat May 01, 2010 1:57 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Sat May 01, 2010 2:22 pm

Oh no, I'm not arguing that they didn't deserve to be admitted. My argument is more on the process itself. If you were waiting for a decision of any sort and have not heard back and the school is already past the 10-12 week timetable they indicated, then you learn that they have already started pulling people off the waitlist... you probably wouldn't be too pleased yourself.

And for what it's worth, some of the people still waiting for a decision have auto admit numbers as well.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Sat May 01, 2010 2:45 pm

Here's a more detailed explanation of how I understand the situation. You're already behind on your timetable; that's quite understandable considering the surge in applications at all schools this year. Majority of the schools are behind. However, you start pulling people off the WL although there are still outstanding applications. I see 2 potential scenarios at play.

1) You haven't read all applications yet. If so, how is it fair to start pulling from the WL when there are files you haven't even evaluated yet? Don't all applicants deserve to get a fair consideration?

2) You have read the pending applications and have decided that people on the WL are better suited for the target class you're putting together. If so, wouldn't it behoove you to communicate such to the applicants who are still pending, by either rejecting them or putting them on the WL? You know that applicants need to make decisions too, about putting down deposits elsewhere, finding places to live, etc., so isn't it only fair to provide them the information they need to make their decisions?

Alright, I think I've written more than enough on this topic. Congratulations once more to those who got admitted.

primusux

Postby primusux » Mon May 03, 2010 11:02 am

Email was finally sent this morning and was a ding. I'm the first person with my numbers to be dinged compared to LSN. In fact people with my numbers are getting in with $$$. This whole process is so frustrating.

krj02004

Postby krj02004 » Mon May 03, 2010 12:22 pm

Submitted on 3/1 and not a peep yet..... I've been accepted at Vandy and I'm on Reserve at Columbia. But if Minnesota gives me $$$.... I'm going!

What's taking them so long??!! And I've been "In Review" since 3/12...

Informative

Postby Informative » Mon May 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Quotes from Minnesota grads/students on MinnLawyer Blog:

"I’m planning on leaving the state, if I don’t find full time work by September. I still have a part-time semi-legal job until June.

I am taking another bar exam in a state with far fewer lawyers, and one that has a better overall employment rate. If the best I can do is a 30k job, that only required a bachelor degree, I might as well live somewhere with nice weather.

I doubt that quote will be put in any U of M recruitment materials."

"The employment numbers being bandied about for this year’s graduating class are something like 1/3 of them have jobs."

"Many others are people like me who are working part time jobs that have no benefits and no chance of advancement as we struggle in our search for full time work."

Just thought I'd post some of these that I read recently. Not that anyone is finding great work other than the east coast schools and even they are having a hard time finding employment for all of their students at biglaw firms.

skamike

Postby skamike » Mon May 03, 2010 2:10 pm

regarding the practice of taking people of the WL before notifying outstanding applicants:

Here's how I see it. They know some applicants on the WL will find other schools, and they want to make sure that they are offered admission before they accept elsewhere. They may not have fit in at the beginning of the process, but they do now.

As for the outstanding (myself included), I would think that they have reviewed my file, and are deliberating. They probably don't want to put us all on the WL right away because sometimes a decision may cause an applicant to go somewhere else immediately (Especially considering it is late in the cycle, and odds are applicants have other offers on the table).

Yea, waiting sucks, especially when it's above and beyond the time period originally specified. After I applied, I remember reading the confirmation email and thinking "wow, 10-12 weeks...insane" ...who knew that was just the beginning.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:19 pm

skamike wrote:regarding the practice of taking people of the WL before notifying outstanding applicants:

Here's how I see it. They know some applicants on the WL will find other schools, and they want to make sure that they are offered admission before they accept elsewhere. They may not have fit in at the beginning of the process, but they do now.

As for the outstanding (myself included), I would think that they have reviewed my file, and are deliberating. They probably don't want to put us all on the WL right away because sometimes a decision may cause an applicant to go somewhere else immediately (Especially considering it is late in the cycle, and odds are applicants have other offers on the table).

Yea, waiting sucks, especially when it's above and beyond the time period originally specified. After I applied, I remember reading the confirmation email and thinking "wow, 10-12 weeks...insane" ...who knew that was just the beginning.

Your explanation is legitimate, but it still does not make the process itself legitimate. Look, I am waiting to hear back from a couple more schools, all of which I applied to on or about the same time I applied to UMN (USC, UCLA, Cornell, UC Davis, etc.). But I am not complaining about not hearing back from the other schools, because I am very aware of the spike in applications schools have had to deal with this year; the delay is very understandable. But if I learn that any of those 5 schools start taking people off the WL before even coming back to me and other similar applicants with a decision, you bet I will be questioning the fairness of that as well.

There are really 2 things working in combination that make this questionable in my view. 1) They are already behind their communicated timetable and have yet to make decisions on several applications and 2) they are already pulling people off the WL, notwithstanding no. 1. Take away either one of these 2 factors, and it probably would not be so much of an issue.

skamike

Postby skamike » Mon May 03, 2010 2:56 pm

jman77 wrote:
skamike wrote:regarding the practice of taking people of the WL before notifying outstanding applicants:

Your explanation is legitimate, but it still does not make the process itself legitimate. Look, I am waiting to hear back from a couple more schools, all of which I applied to on or about the same time I applied to UMN (USC, UCLA, Cornell, UC Davis, etc.). But I am not complaining about not hearing back from the other schools, because I am very aware of the spike in applications schools have had to deal with this year; the delay is very understandable. But if I learn that any of those 5 schools start taking people off the WL before even coming back to me and other similar applicants with a decision, you bet I will be questioning the fairness of that as well.

There are really 2 things working in combination that make this questionable in my view. 1) They are already behind their communicated timetable and have yet to make decisions on several applications and 2) they are already pulling people off the WL, notwithstanding no. 1. Take away either one of these 2 factors, and it probably would not be so much of an issue.

Yeah, it does suck. I wonder if the process is more complex than it looks, i.e something larger than simply accept, reject, waitlist

lifeaway1985

Postby lifeaway1985 » Mon May 03, 2010 9:16 pm

waitlisted 4/30

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”