Minnesota 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
quadsixm

Bronze

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Post by quadsixm » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:09 pm

scgoaliface32 wrote:Yup I fiiiinally had to choose lol. UMN was super tempting and the admissions people were really nice, but I'm off to Boston so I hope my spot and the money goes to someone here!
Congrats on coming to a decision and ending your cycle! Best of luck to you.

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:36 pm

Hey all, will be withdrawing from the WL shortly.... 168/2.x

Those of you still waiting it out, hold faith 'til the bitter end... these things do work out!
Good luck and best wishes to all of you!

DoktorZaius

New

Post by DoktorZaius » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:52 pm

quadsixm wrote:Hey all, will be withdrawing from the WL shortly.... 168/2.x

Those of you still waiting it out, hold faith 'til the bitter end... these things do work out!
Where are you heading?

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:54 pm

DoktorZaius wrote:
quadsixm wrote:Hey all, will be withdrawing from the WL shortly.... 168/2.x

Where are you heading?
Will be headed to WUSTL this fall

Scuzzlebutt

New

Post by Scuzzlebutt » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:28 pm

How many WLers are out there? You think we still have a fighting shot?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:36 pm

Scuzzlebutt wrote:How many WLers are out there? You think we still have a fighting shot?
I'm still sitting on the WL but i'm pretty set on Iowa. I do think there's a chance right before classes...

cassieyuc

New

Post by cassieyuc » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:01 am

True!

NeedAdviceNow

New

Post by NeedAdviceNow » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:57 pm

Last edited by NeedAdviceNow on Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:34 pm

NeedAdviceNow wrote:Does anyone know if there are any seats available? Is there a chance they'll make an offer to somebody? It's almost a month since they sent that e-mail...
Yeah, they are moving. I withdrew last week via email but still got an "are you still interested" call this week. I withdrew again via voice mail.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DoktorZaius

New

Post by DoktorZaius » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:46 pm

Got in w/ 30k/yr via phone on Friday. The hilarious part is I had just walked into the George Mason law building (for orientation) when I received the call. What a thrilling development.

Now to figure out housing...

jebuschrist

New

Post by jebuschrist » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:47 pm

congrats! my orientation for another school is starting too. I'm avoiding signing a lease and buying books in hopes of getting into one of my w-l. curious what you did?

DoktorZaius

New

Post by DoktorZaius » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:42 pm

jebuschrist wrote:congrats! my orientation for another school is starting too. I'm avoiding signing a lease and buying books in hopes of getting into one of my w-l. curious what you did?
I hadn't picked up my books from the bookstore yet so it was easy to return those, and I only lost $500 to a temporary housing lease. About as clean a break as possible, and since UMN orientation isn't until the 31st I'm not in a ridiculous time crunch.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:33 pm

scgoaliface32 wrote:PS scholly negotiation this late in the game works- BC met UMN's offer so if anyone gets off a late waitlist with money, you've got nothing to lose by mentioning it to other schools.
Does it work in reverse? I spoke with a couple adcomms at UMN and they told me the policy was to never raise scholarship awards.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bobbycortez

New

Post by bobbycortez » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:28 pm

DoktorZaius wrote:Got in w/ 30k/yr via phone on Friday. The hilarious part is I had just walked into the George Mason law building (for orientation) when I received the call. What a thrilling development.

just in, but only $25k/year! I start orientation at USF (full price) today. This is a no-brainer, right?

DoktorZaius

New

Post by DoktorZaius » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:59 pm

bobbycortez wrote:
DoktorZaius wrote:Got in w/ 30k/yr via phone on Friday. The hilarious part is I had just walked into the George Mason law building (for orientation) when I received the call. What a thrilling development.

just in, but only $25k/year! I start orientation at USF (full price) today. This is a no-brainer, right?
Heh, they're probably running low on funds...but yeah, you'd be insane not to take this deal. Way less debt (not just due to the scholly, but also because I'd imagine housing in SF is really pricey) & a far superior educational experience & degree. If I were you, I'd go explain the situation to someone from admissions instead of attending orientation. Hope to see you in MN!

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:02 am

bobbycortez wrote:

if you can get an apartment lined up in time, yes. hope to see you in a couple weeks :)

bobbycortez

New

Post by bobbycortez » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:00 am

jayn3 wrote:
bobbycortez wrote:

if you can get an apartment lined up in time, yes. hope to see you in a couple weeks :)

anyone still looking for a roommate?!?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DoktorZaius

New

Post by DoktorZaius » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:16 am

bobbycortez wrote:
jayn3 wrote:
bobbycortez wrote:

anyone still looking for a roommate?!?
I am, but I don't have much of a head start on you. I'm flying up Thursday morning to scope everything out & see what's still available. Was planning on just looking for a studio or 1BR, but if I see any good deals on a 2BR I'll keep you in mind.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:52 am

My quick guide to neighborhoods, from my own hunt:

Franklin = you're going to get mugged
Cedar-Riverside = Pizza Hut won't deliver because they think they'll get mugged
Uptown = crawling with hipsters
Dinkytown = crawling with undergrads
NE = funky in the day, possibly unsafe at night (?)

...although at this point good luck with whatever you get. There are some good deals out there. Make sure you check out the bus directions on Google - sometimes something that looks further away can actually be a really short commute. Good luck guys =)

Scuzzlebutt

New

Post by Scuzzlebutt » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:43 am

To all ye who were just accepted -

GPA? LSAT? Not that anything matters at this point, but a halfway decent scholarship to go to school in Minneapolis certainly beats getting no cash and spending $1600+ a month for a box to live in here in NYC...

DoktorZaius

New

Post by DoktorZaius » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:42 am

Scuzzlebutt wrote:To all ye who were just accepted -

GPA? LSAT? Not that anything matters at this point, but a halfway decent scholarship to go to school in Minneapolis certainly beats getting no cash and spending $1600+ a month for a box to live in here in NYC...
3.22 & 167 male, out of state, non-urm.

And yeah, I hear it. The amount saved on housing in Minneapolis alone (vs D.C. in my case) will be huge after 3 years.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DoktorZaius

New

Post by DoktorZaius » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:47 pm

I dropped off my book order form @ the bookstore today & the woman who works there mentioned that an email had (or was supposed to have) been sent out indicating that we'll need the legal writing textbook Successful Legal Analysis and Writing: The Fundamentals for orientation. I didn't get the email, but then again I only just activated my UMN account today. If anyone did get such an email & it lists the assignment, please copy/paste it here or via PM.

Of course, it's possible I misunderstood & maybe said email is merely slated to go out, so if you haven't gotten anything yet don't riot on my account.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:58 pm

I went in and bought my books today. Along with the legal analysis & writing book, we'll need a bluebook.

For the record, the people in the bookstore were really nice and helpful :)

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:51 pm

Just released off the WL via email. It said that because i've sat on the WL that i'll be given priority consideration as a transfer student. It doesn't say that the priority is added weight to an application or that they'll just read it sooner.

Of course, if i do well enough at my current school it wouldn't be worth it to transfer to MN anyway...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”