Minnesota 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
keemos

Bronze

Re: Minnesota 2010!

Post by keemos » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:13 pm

I was in Minneapolis these last couple of days so I decided to visit the law school even though my app is probably an auto reject. Personally, I thought the surrounding area was very blah, nothing much going on. The school itself was nice but the admissions office was also kind of blah. They didn't seem to care that I had applied and sent me away to take a self guided tour. I don't think this is standard procedure because I have heard that other admissions offices get really excited about applicants visiting their schools. Finally, I thought the dreary weather would probably have a negative effect on my mood and make my three years there pretty miserable so I guess I should withdraw before being rejected.

Mall of America was sweet though

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:44 pm

manwitaplan wrote:UMN is absolutely ridic...I sent my app in December. My app has been in review for about two months....I should just withdraw at this point.
I had a decision within seven weeks of submission. Certain other schools, however, haven't reviewed my app in nearly six months. I don't think you need to worry or be angered yet.
I was in Minneapolis these last couple of days so I decided to visit the law school even though my app is probably an auto reject. Personally, I thought the surrounding area was very blah, nothing much going on. The school itself was nice but the admissions office was also kind of blah. They didn't seem to care that I had applied and sent me away to take a self guided tour. I don't think this is standard procedure because I have heard that other admissions offices get really excited about applicants visiting their schools. Finally, I thought the dreary weather would probably have a negative effect on my mood and make my three years there pretty miserable so I guess I should withdraw before being rejected.
I personally had much the opposite experience. I found the people and staff to be friendly and helpful. FWIW, there are several other schools that offer only self-guided tours (NYU for example). Prior to visiting, I was terrified of the weather also. The weather was not only tolerable but actually pretty gorgeous last weekend IMO. Either way, I figure we'll be indoors studying most the time anyways.

Spaceman Spiff

Bronze

Post by Spaceman Spiff » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:52 pm

jman77 wrote:
84Sunbird2000 wrote:
current_steering wrote:so quiet recently. :shock: updates, anybody?
Nope - IN Review 2/2. Nothing since.
Same here. In review 2/2 and crickets since.
+1

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:53 pm

Minnesota sucks. The law school is awful. The administrators and faculty hate you (yes, YOU), it's cold, and there's a damn good chance you'll be eaten by a polar bear. See, it sucks. Now go someplace else...so I can have your spot. Kthxbai

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:53 pm

Slimpee wrote:Minnesota sucks. The law school is awful. The administrators and faculty hate you (yes, YOU), it's cold, and there's a damn good chance you'll be eaten by a polar bear. See, it sucks. Now go someplace else...so I can have your spot. Kthxbai
:lol: Hi Slimp!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:03 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
Slimpee wrote:Minnesota sucks. The law school is awful. The administrators and faculty hate you (yes, YOU), it's cold, and there's a damn good chance you'll be eaten by a polar bear. See, it sucks. Now go someplace else...so I can have your spot. Kthxbai
I think you could take a polar bear, nanc, so you're free to attend... :D

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:04 pm

Slimpee wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:
I think you could take a polar bear, nanc, so you're free to attend... :D
:wink:

So excited about my visit!

pjog

New

Post by pjog » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:13 pm

I was waitlisted last week (submitted app in early January) so I'm sure they've been pretty busy making decisions. Best of luck to anyone who has UMN as a top choice :)

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:56 pm

Just e-mailed my withdrawal from the waitlist -- best of luck to everybody still waiting!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

j.wellington

Bronze

Post by j.wellington » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:01 pm

Can anyone confirm that Minnesota notifies all admits by phone? In other words, if my status checker updates and I don't get a "612-" call, can I presume a rejection letter is in the mail?

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:09 pm

j.wellington wrote:Can anyone confirm that Minnesota notifies all admits by phone? In other words, if my status checker updates and I don't get a "612-" call, can I presume a rejection letter is in the mail?
Im not sure you can say "all" but I think that's their practice. I was WL'ed and it said so in the status checker before the email showed up. I'm not sure how rejections work...

GL!

cendien

Bronze

Post by cendien » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:17 pm

j.wellington wrote:Can anyone confirm that Minnesota notifies all admits by phone? In other words, if my status checker updates and I don't get a "612-" call, can I presume a rejection letter is in the mail?
I got my acceptance via email. Hold out hope!

j.wellington

Bronze

Post by j.wellington » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:39 pm

cendien wrote:
I got my acceptance via email. Hold out hope!
Ah, good to know. For the record, my status didn't change; I'm just on high alert for my few remaining schools. I went in review two days after I submitted in December and haven't gotten a signal since.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Prairie

Bronze

Post by Prairie » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:27 pm

i've decided to take a year off and work--should i withdraw from the school before i receive notification of acceptance/denial/wl? i'm only asking because i plan on applying to um next year, and i wonder if getting accepted and then withdrawing will hurt my chances next cycle (assuming i get accepted...).

fwiw: i went in review on 1/5, update on 3/5, nothing yet. i'm thinking such a long wait is not a good sign...

thanks,

p

foxyeconomist

Bronze

Post by foxyeconomist » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:37 pm

I have no idea, but that's no going to stop me from sharing my opinion. I don't think withdrawing earlier would hurt you, especially if you elaborate on your reasoning. (Is it to save up for school or because you got a great opportunity at work?) It might even help if you were destined for the rejection pile.

bakiewakies

New

Post by bakiewakies » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:45 pm

Withdrew today; had a 20k/year scholarship. Good luck everyone!

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:56 pm

Prairie wrote:i've decided to take a year off and work--should i withdraw from the school before i receive notification of acceptance/denial/wl? i'm only asking because i plan on applying to um next year, and i wonder if getting accepted and then withdrawing will hurt my chances next cycle (assuming i get accepted...).

fwiw: i went in review on 1/5, update on 3/5, nothing yet. i'm thinking such a long wait is not a good sign...

thanks,

p
i'd try a non-committing deferral first. that way if you do decide to attend next year, you don't have to worry about getting rejected. you should ask them what their deferral rules are.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

GTLAWSCHOOL

Bronze

Post by GTLAWSCHOOL » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:27 pm

Anybody update to under review today 3/12?

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:32 pm

GTLAWSCHOOL wrote:Anybody update to under review today 3/12?
Yes:
Current Status: Decision E-mail Sent
Current Status Date: 3/12/2010

Expecting my first rejection, but no e-mail yet.

GTLAWSCHOOL

Bronze

Post by GTLAWSCHOOL » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:36 pm

Jerome wrote:
Yes:

Check it again it was under review today, and just changed to Waitlisted.

j.wellington

Bronze

Post by j.wellington » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:38 pm

GTLAWSCHOOL wrote:
Jerome wrote:
Yes:

Did these just happen? Like, minutes ago?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GTLAWSCHOOL

Bronze

Post by GTLAWSCHOOL » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:39 pm

j.wellington wrote:
GTLAWSCHOOL wrote:
Jerome wrote:
Yes:

Did these just happen? Like, minutes ago?
yesm mine just changed twice within the last 15 minutes.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:40 pm

I must have just updated, it says e-mail sent.

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:44 pm

No change for me. Still IR 2/2/.

Headybrah

Bronze

Post by Headybrah » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:45 pm

decision email sent...

but no email in mah email box

Seriously? What are you waiting for?