UVA 2010, RD

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Legacy316

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Legacy316 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:18 pm

sharthree wrote:
crackberry wrote:
sharthree wrote:
Legacy316 wrote:Thinking about withdrawing from UVA. Can someone tell me how to go about doing so?

Whyyyy?

He's in at Berkeley.

OH. Congratss.

Thanks. And thanks for all the help you gave me for my PS!

Legacy316

Postby Legacy316 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:19 pm

wired wrote:
Legacy316 wrote:Thinking about withdrawing from UVA. Can someone tell me how to go about doing so?

Send them a letter indicating you feel horrible being admitted to a school that you know "wired" should be attending and that you want your seat to go to him.

PM me for my real name, LSAC #, social security number, and credit card info so you can make sure they know it's me you are referring to.

PM'd.
:wink:

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:20 pm

Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sat May 02, 2015 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:02 pm

Legacy316 wrote:Yes, I'm aware of the rising tuition; but UCB is my dream school, and I think that I have a shot at some $, so we'll see.

Also, I'd go to UMich and UT over UVA anyway, so I really see no sense in waiting for them.

You should always keep as many schools on your plate as possible when deciding--if only for the very important reason of financial aid bargaining. If you withdraw from UVA you give up the very strong possibility of being able to bargain against Boalt for scholly money from a peer school. And actually with the way UVA's apps have been increasing and with the hike in the Cali school's tuition rates, they will probably respect a financial aid offer from UVA more than they normally would.

jm19

Postby jm19 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:44 pm

In by phone call this afternoon. Also offered a scholarship, but now I can't remember if he said the amount was renewable over three years or not. I am facepalming myself.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:52 pm

jm19

Postby jm19 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:04 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
jm19 wrote:In by phone call this afternoon. Also offered a scholarship, but now I can't remember if he said the amount was renewable over three years or not. I am facepalming myself.

Congrats! Your acceptance letter should say, but I think most/all UVA scholarships are renewable.

Thank you! I feel fairly certain that it is renewable, but I don't want to get my hopes up and then cry if I find out that it isn't. Either way, UVA is looking much more attractive after today!

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:08 pm

wired wrote:

Send them a letter indicating you feel horrible being admitted to a school that you know "wired" should be attending and that you want your seat to go to him.

PM me for my real name, LSAC #, social security number, and credit card info so you can make sure they know it's me you are referring to.

This is funny :lol:

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:13 pm

Wow, looking at LSN, UVA seems to have some very good turnaround times. A lot of people who went complete around my date or later have already received RD decisions.

Looks like this and NYU are the schools I should be most anxious about at this particular moment. Maybe I'll give CLS and Michigan and Northwestern and Chicago a break for a while...

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:14 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:Wow, looking at LSN, UVA seems to have some very good turnaround times. A lot of people who went complete around my date or later have already received RD decisions.

Looks like this and NYU are the schools I should be most anxious about at this particular moment. Maybe I'll give CLS and Michigan and Northwestern and Chicago a break for a while...

For some people. Others of us have been submitted since September and nothing.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:17 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:Wow, looking at LSN, UVA seems to have some very good turnaround times. A lot of people who went complete around my date or later have already received RD decisions.

For some people. Others of us have been submitted since September and nothing.

Hm, I wonder what the discrepancy is. I must say that from the beginning of this cycle I haven't been holding out much hope for UVA. As an out-of-state applicant with slightly splitterish numbers, I'm expecting to be waitlisted.

CommanderPutney

Postby CommanderPutney » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:45 pm

I have been growing increasingly nervous about UVA and wanted an outside opinion. I am an out of stater (169, 3.73), went complete on 10/27, status date under the "File Complete/Pending Review/Decision" changed on 11/09 but since then absolutely nothing. :| So, what do you think? Am I being paranoid? Or should I snuff out my last remaining hopes?

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:11 pm

CommanderPutney wrote:I have been growing increasingly nervous about UVA and wanted an outside opinion. I am an out of stater (169, 3.73), went complete on 10/27, status date under the "File Complete/Pending Review/Decision" changed on 11/09 but since then absolutely nothing. :| So, what do you think? Am I being paranoid? Or should I snuff out my last remaining hopes?

Anything other than a wait list in your situation would surprise me. So depending on what your hopes are maybe they should be snuffed out?

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:23 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
CommanderPutney wrote:I have been growing increasingly nervous about UVA and wanted an outside opinion. I am an out of stater (169, 3.73), went complete on 10/27, status date under the "File Complete/Pending Review/Decision" changed on 11/09 but since then absolutely nothing. :| So, what do you think? Am I being paranoid? Or should I snuff out my last remaining hopes?

Anything other than a wait list in your situation would surprise me. So depending on what your hopes are maybe they should be snuffed out?

Dude. If you want it. Ed it.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:25 pm

avacado111 wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:

Dude. If you want it. Ed it.

I mean yea if you want ED, but that will only make the inevitable wait list happen within 15 days as opposed to waiting 3 more months.

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:29 pm

i think it may be close to an in than a waitlist with a good ps/why uva.

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:41 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:

yeah i'm a 169/3.84 out of stater that went complete a few weeks earlier and i'm expecting a waitlist. my status date changed to 12/1... i dunno what that means (seemingly nothing for UVA). Good luck to both of us?

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:42 pm

avacado111 wrote:i think it may be close to an in than a waitlist with a good ps/why uva.

No, look at LSN from last year nobody with a 169 got accepted with lower than a 3.85 GPA, and this year is even more competitive. I hate to be a downer but based on numbers alone you look like a wait list or reject. Now if you have some WE or softs that we don't know about that could change everything.

Regardless Good Luck, I really do hope you get in.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:46 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
avacado111 wrote:i think it may be close to an in than a waitlist with a good ps/why uva.

No, look at LSN from last year nobody with a 169 got accepted with lower than a 3.85 GPA, and this year is even more competitive. I hate to be a downer but based on numbers alone you look like a wait list or reject. Now if you have some WE or softs that we don't know about that could change everything.

A couple 168, 3.9 RD out-of-staters have been admitted already this cycle, thus rendering this theory tenuous at best.

CommanderPutney

Postby CommanderPutney » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:51 pm

Well, thanks for the quick responses! I can't say it made me feel better, but I didn't really expect positive feedback and it's nice to have outside opinions (aside from my parents who approach every app by saying "You'll get in everywhere!" Nice, but not exactly informative).
Good luck to everyone else still waiting!

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:02 pm

crackberry wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:

A couple 168, 3.9 RD out-of-staters have been admitted already this cycle, thus rendering this theory tenuous at best.

How does the fact two people with a 3.9 getting admitted weaken the theory that you need a GPA of at least 3.85 to avoid a wait list with less than a 170? If you have a 3.85 or greater you have a solid chance with a 168 or 169 but below that its a wait list. Look at LSN this year has anyone with below a 170 been admitted with below a 3.85? No. To imply that the odds of anything but a WL is likely, unless there are some softs or WE, is simply giving false hope IMO.

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:08 pm

can someone confirm my general impression from this thread that your status date changing on the app status check doesn't mean anything?

elliefont

Postby elliefont » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:24 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Just got home and saw an email from Jason at UVA wanting me to give him a call...hotmail is blocked at work. I have GOT to get a blackberry so I can check emails at work!

I REALLY hope this is because I'm accepted instead of W/L...My status did not change to "Congratulations" like those who've been accepted...

Oh god, I must go watch some The Office to get my mind out of this...

They don't ask you to call unless they want to tell you you've been admitted.

are you 100% about this?? I want to go to sleep happy... !!!

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:27 pm

elliefont wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Just got home and saw an email from Jason at UVA wanting me to give him a call...hotmail is blocked at work. I have GOT to get a blackberry so I can check emails at work!

I REALLY hope this is because I'm accepted instead of W/L...My status did not change to "Congratulations" like those who've been accepted...

Oh god, I must go watch some The Office to get my mind out of this...

They don't ask you to call unless they want to tell you you've been admitted.

are you 100% about this?? I want to go to sleep happy... !!!

actually, they may call you if they want you to retake, or to tell you something about your file. This happened to a friend of mine.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:27 pm

gotmilk? wrote:can someone confirm my general impression from this thread that your status date changing on the app status check doesn't mean anything?

I — along with many people on this thread — can confirm that.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”