UVA 2010, RD

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
texasgirl22

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby texasgirl22 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:21 pm

boo_pragmatism wrote:Got the acceptance packet today. Lot of info, with a little personalized not from Jason Dugas at the end. Good stuff.

when did you apply?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:31 pm

kurama20 wrote:Huh? Stanford has very few Supreme Court Justices . I believe the only ones are William Rehnquist and Sandra Day O'Connor. That's less than Columbia and Michigan. It's not even close to Harvard (14 including 5 current, and not including 4 that attended HLS but didn't graduate) and Yale in terms of number of SCOTUS (11 including 3 sitting) justices. Stanford is sort of in a weird position. It's clearly better than any law school not named Harvard and Yale---but it's really not quite on H and Y's level either. H and Y also massacre SLS in clerkships (particularly SCOTUS). Still it's obviously an amazing school.

That weather thing is really the only area where people on here are consistently able to point to SLS as being the same or better than H and Y.

My point was not that Stanford is better or even equal to Harvard or Yale. Rather, Stanford draws a different sort of person than Harvard does. I actually think Yale is a far better comparison. Lots of judicial-types, lots of academics, not so many BigLaw types. If you look at it in terms of percentage of the class, I bet Stanford has way more of those than Harvard. And it's not really fair to consider just raw numbers because Harvard's class size is like 3 times that of Stanford (or Yale).

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:28 pm

I actually think Stanford puts more than half its class into BigLaw. I understand your comparison--small class size, different emphasis than Harvard or Columbia--but I think that as far as academia is concerned, there are enough Yale and Harvard grads that want those jobs to cause Stanford students to go the BigLaw route. As for clerkships, I think if you really wanted to clerk, you would go to Harvard. I think that most prestigious judges realize that all three of those schools are phenomenal and essentially peers, and it often comes down to where the judge went to school. For instance, Alito and Sotomayor probably will hire a lot of Yale grads, while the Harvard justices will probably hire a lot of Harvard grads. Stanford grads probably get almost any clerkship they want in California and the western United States, though, which I don't think is to be discredited. There can only be so many supreme court justices, and I would imagine Stanford has a monopoly on prestigious non-SCOTUS clerkships in their region.

Stanford also has the weather, location (I truly believe there is no better three hour stretch of land than San Jose -> Berkeley and back again), girls, sports, and other things in its favor. In addition, they have a much better LRAP than Harvard (though Yale's COAP can't be beaten).

Back to point--anyone worried about UVA's reputation for lacking diversity and essentially being three more years of undergrad?

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:44 pm

boo_pragmatism wrote:
VoidSix wrote:Back to point--anyone worried about UVA's reputation for lacking diversity and essentially being three more years of undergrad?

As a small town kid from a TTT state school, the fact that I got into UVA is still punching me in the face. Objectivity is impossible at this point.

Your stats are very impressive. You earned it.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:50 pm

boo_pragmatism wrote:
UFMatt wrote:
boo_pragmatism wrote:
VoidSix wrote:Back to point--anyone worried about UVA's reputation for lacking diversity and essentially being three more years of undergrad?

As a small town kid from a TTT state school, the fact that I got into UVA is still punching me in the face. Objectivity is impossible at this point.

Your stats are very impressive. You earned it.

*Tips hat* for unexpected TLS kindness. Thanks for that.

Haha Boo... I hope you are caressing your acceptance packet right now.

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:05 pm

Ugh...my status checker hasn't changed since 10/15. I really thought that "Why Virginia?" was going to get me admitted without all this anxiety.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:22 pm

VoidSix wrote:I actually think Stanford puts more than half its class into BigLaw. I understand your comparison--small class size, different emphasis than Harvard or Columbia--but I think that as far as academia is concerned, there are enough Yale and Harvard grads that want those jobs to cause Stanford students to go the BigLaw route. As for clerkships, I think if you really wanted to clerk, you would go to Harvard. I think that most prestigious judges realize that all three of those schools are phenomenal and essentially peers, and it often comes down to where the judge went to school. For instance, Alito and Sotomayor probably will hire a lot of Yale grads, while the Harvard justices will probably hire a lot of Harvard grads. Stanford grads probably get almost any clerkship they want in California and the western United States, though, which I don't think is to be discredited. There can only be so many supreme court justices, and I would imagine Stanford has a monopoly on prestigious non-SCOTUS clerkships in their region.

Stanford also has the weather, location (I truly believe there is no better three hour stretch of land than San Jose -> Berkeley and back again), girls, sports, and other things in its favor. In addition, they have a much better LRAP than Harvard (though Yale's COAP can't be beaten).

Back to point--anyone worried about UVA's reputation for lacking diversity and essentially being three more years of undergrad?

This is all very credited. But the bolded I believe is what separates H and Y from other school's so much---particularly Stanford. Not that they are necessarily innately better schools---they just have so many influential alumni that it isn't even funny. And the truth be told, when you start getting to the margins for jobs things like alumin network become REALLY important. That's what makes H and Y so special, and it's exactly what ruleser was alluding to before. I think as time goes on Stanford's alumin network will get closer in strength to H and Y's, but never quite the same. I actually think their students love of the west coast is a lot of what hurts them in this arena. As beautiful and fun as the west coast is the east coast is where "things really happen" in terms of things like government and politics.

I'm not worried about the diversity thing at UVA. They have dramatically increased the number of URMs that attend the school in the last 2 years or so.

On top of that I have had a lot of black friends and associates tell me how great the school is. And to be honest for me I would like to attenda law school with an undergrad feel. It will help to lower the stress and make the adjustment easier. This is one of the things that scared me about a school like Chicago--I just don't know how I would do at a school where people are that intense and into the law. Life is about more than your job and school. On top of that I think that employers kind of like the fact that UVA kids are not total nerds who are constantly talking about Arthur Miller, Kant, and Epstein. Not that there is anything wrong with that but once you get out into the real world if you are constantly talking about that kind of thing you come across as socially awkward. It's also something that clients really don't care about at all. To me UVA is kind of the "non nerd'" top 14--along with Michigana and in a way Harvard (Harvard people seem to have a lot of interests and accomplishments that really don't have anything to do with the law, though they are still kind of "nerdy").

waiting4law

Postby waiting4law » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:51 pm

My apologies if this has been answered anywhere, but what does a date change for UVA RD out-of-state mean? I went complete on 11/16, and had a date change to 11/20. Does this mean a decision is on the way soon? 169/3.46 Ivy, if it matters.

Thanks for any information, I appreciate it.

bluejayk

Postby bluejayk » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:57 pm

waiting4law wrote:My apologies if this has been answered anywhere, but what does a date change for UVA RD out-of-state mean? I went complete on 11/16, and had a date change to 11/20. Does this mean a decision is on the way soon? 169/3.46 Ivy, if it matters.

It seems like it doesn't mean anything, sorry. My status changed once a few days after I went complete and then changed again on the 16th or so, but no word since then. I'm guessing the next week or two will be mostly ED decisions coming out. I'm gonna try not to worry about it until December 1st.

waiting4law

Postby waiting4law » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:58 pm

bluejayk wrote:
waiting4law wrote:My apologies if this has been answered anywhere, but what does a date change for UVA RD out-of-state mean? I went complete on 11/16, and had a date change to 11/20. Does this mean a decision is on the way soon? 169/3.46 Ivy, if it matters.

It seems like it doesn't mean anything, sorry. My status changed once a few days after I went complete and then changed again on the 16th or so, but no word since then. I'm guessing the next week or two will be mostly ED decisions coming out. I'm gonna try not to worry about it until December 1st.

Wouldn't it be nice to stop worrying! Anyway, tx for the info.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:39 pm

According to LSN, so far this cycle everyone with an LSAT > 168 has received admission, regardless of GPA.

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:50 pm

managamy wrote:According to LSN, so far this cycle everyone with an LSAT > 168 has received admission, regardless of GPA.

Except me :cry:

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:51 pm

managamy wrote:According to LSN, so far this cycle everyone with an LSAT > 168 has received admission, regardless of GPA.

That probably has more to do with WLs/rejects not rolling out yet.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:57 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

There's a 166/3.7 Ivy League graduate with decent softs who applied ED and was rejected already. Thought that was a bit rough.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:01 am

managamy wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

There's a 166/3.7 Ivy League graduate with decent softs who applied ED and was rejected already. Thought that was a bit rough.

To be admitted ED as a splitter you either need LSAT above 170 or a GPA above 3.85.

bluejayk

Postby bluejayk » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:04 am

Any predictions about non-ED admits in the three days before Thanksgiving? I would really love to be able to tell my assembled family I've been accepted at Dinner on Thursday.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:12 am

Wait are you saying everyone who has applied RD and been accepted has a 169+ or that all applicants with 169+ have been accepted, because I can attest that the second statement is not true.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:18 am

crackberry wrote:

Wait are you saying everyone who has applied RD and been accepted has a 169+ or that all applicants with 169+ have been accepted, because I can attest that the second statement is not true.

Just noticed the 169+ trend from LSN members who have posted their decisions so far. I didn't mean to cause the excitement that I apparently have.

To clarify, all those in the group that have received decisions (whether RD or ED) who have 169+ have been admitted. There are several with 168 or less who have not been admitted despite respectable GPAs.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:25 am

VoidSix wrote:Stanford also has the weather, location (I truly believe there is no better three hour stretch of land than San Jose -> Berkeley and back again), girls, sports, and other things in its favor. In addition, they have a much better LRAP than Harvard (though Yale's COAP can't be beaten).

Really? Most of that location is not that nice. Also, what girls have you been looking at? Northern California girls are nothing compared to much of the rest of the country. But, I guess if you have an Asian fetish, it is heaven for you. There's just not much variety outside of Asian women.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:33 am

irishman86 wrote:
VoidSix wrote:Stanford also has the weather, location (I truly believe there is no better three hour stretch of land than San Jose -> Berkeley and back again), girls, sports, and other things in its favor. In addition, they have a much better LRAP than Harvard (though Yale's COAP can't be beaten).

Really? Most of that location is not that nice. Also, what girls have you been looking at? Northern California girls are nothing compared to much of the rest of the country. But, I guess if you have an Asian fetish, it is heaven for you. There's just not much variety outside of Asian women.

:D I've heard this from countless people about the Bay Area---to be honest it kind of turned me off to the area---not to mention the really high cost of living and practically non existent Black population. The two bit time Bay Area schools are still amazing though.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:40 am

irishman86 wrote:

Have you BEEN to New Haven or Cambridge?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:47 am

VoidSix wrote:
irishman86 wrote:

I can't believe that you guys would actually let this sort of issue determine which law school you would select. Get your degree, then chase women.

Split5

Postby Split5 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:54 am

managamy wrote:
VoidSix wrote:
irishman86 wrote:

I can't believe that you guys would actually let this sort of issue determine which law school you would select. Get your degree, then chase women.

Someone with your user name saying that absolutely makes my day.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:00 am

Someone with your user name saying that absolutely makes my day.[/quote]

I'm glad, but I don't understand. You can't possibly have guessed the significance of the acronym that I chose, unless you're a tennis fan with major intuition.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:13 am

managamy wrote:
split5 wrote:Someone with your user name saying that absolutely makes my day.

I'm glad, but I don't understand. You can't possibly have guessed the significance of the acronym that I chose, unless you're a tennis fan with major intuition.

He's referencing the fact that your user name "managamy" is very close to the word "monogamy," meaning the act of having only one mate.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”