UVA 2010, RD

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
YellowCake
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby YellowCake » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:42 pm

Hmmm I was File Complete, Pending Review/Decision on 11/16, and just had the date updated to 11/20.

Any idea what this means?

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:49 pm

fwiw, i went complete on the exact same day, am almost an auto admit (i'd like to think so anyway), and still haven't had my date change.
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28282
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Kronk » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:50 pm

There are no auto-admits in the dark land of yield protection that is the University of Virginia School of Law.

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:51 pm

VoidSix wrote:There are no auto-admits in the dark land of yield protection that is the University of Virginia School of Law.


so i've heard

User avatar
kurama20
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby kurama20 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:42 pm

talibkweli wrote:
VoidSix wrote:There are no auto-admits in the dark land of yield protection that is the University of Virginia School of Law.


so i've heard



You're getting in. It might take a while though---until I bit the ED bullet I was just sitting in complete/decision pending land. I faxed in my ED form on a Friday and got the acceptance call on a Monday though.

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:55 pm

kurama20 wrote:
talibkweli wrote:
VoidSix wrote:There are no auto-admits in the dark land of yield protection that is the University of Virginia School of Law.


so i've heard



You're getting in. It might take a while though---until I bit the ED bullet I was just sitting in complete/decision pending land. I faxed in my ED form on a Friday and got the acceptance call on a Monday though.



yo they don't play around about yield protection at uva.

doesn't that turnaround time make you think that you could have maybe gotten into some higher ranked places if you had held out and stayed RD?

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby 02082010 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:04 pm

I was admitted 16 days after I went complete. Still waiting on Georgetown, Duke, Cornell, Michigan, Chicago and NYU though.

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Rand M. » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:55 pm

talibkweli wrote:
kurama20 wrote:
talibkweli wrote:
VoidSix wrote:There are no auto-admits in the dark land of yield protection that is the University of Virginia School of Law.


so i've heard



You're getting in. It might take a while though---until I bit the ED bullet I was just sitting in complete/decision pending land. I faxed in my ED form on a Friday and got the acceptance call on a Monday though.



yo they don't play around about yield protection at uva.

doesn't that turnaround time make you think that you could have maybe gotten into some higher ranked places if you had held out and stayed RD?



Does quick turnaround suggest something like that? Curious

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:59 pm

It doesnt seem like many RDs have heard recently?

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:59 pm

in kurama's case, it appears as though they were hesitant to give him an acceptance that he might subsequently walk away from for a higher ranked school. as soon as he committed to ed, however, they all but jumped at giving him the go ahead.

to be sure, there is alot to be said for knowing when to fold. i'd bet the market for law school applicants is far from efficient; i'm sure plenty of kids tragically get yield protected from the bottom 14 and outright rejected from the t6, thereby leaving them assed out altogether.

User avatar
toolshed
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:35 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby toolshed » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:07 pm

talibkweli wrote:in kurama's case, it appears as though they were hesitant to give him an acceptance that he might subsequently walk away from for a higher ranked school. as soon as he committed to ed, however, they all but jumped at giving him the go ahead.

to be sure, there is alot to be said for knowing when to fold. i'd bet the market for law school applicants is far from efficient; i'm sure plenty of kids tragically get yield protected from the bottom 14 and outright rejected from the t6, thereby leaving them assed out altogether.


Eh, you shouldn't get totally YP'ed from a lower T14 if you can put together a coherent LOCI. If you have T6 numbers, you really have to screw up not to get in somewhere near the top.

User avatar
Anastasia Dee Dualla
Posts: 1165
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:03 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:06 pm

.
Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sat May 02, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby crackberry » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:19 pm

sharthree wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:It doesnt seem like many RDs have heard recently?


I heard on the 11th...I guess that was like nine days ago...but pretty recent.

Nine days is an eternity in TLS world.

User avatar
Anastasia Dee Dualla
Posts: 1165
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:03 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:20 pm

.
Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sat May 02, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
wadeny
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:52 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby wadeny » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:28 pm

crackberry wrote:
sharthree wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:It doesnt seem like many RDs have heard recently?


I heard on the 11th...I guess that was like nine days ago...but pretty recent.

Nine days is an eternity in TLS world.


If you think 9 days is bad, you better hope you don't get placed on UVA's infamous WL. Judging from last cycle, that thing can stretch for months.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby crackberry » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:29 pm

wadeny wrote:
crackberry wrote:
sharthree wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:It doesnt seem like many RDs have heard recently?


I heard on the 11th...I guess that was like nine days ago...but pretty recent.

Nine days is an eternity in TLS world.


If you think 9 days is bad, you better hope you don't get placed on UVA's infamous WL. Judging from last cycle, that thing can stretch for months.

Eh, I'm not going to go to UVA anyway so I'd probably just withdraw.

User avatar
kurama20
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby kurama20 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:37 am

talibkweli wrote:
kurama20 wrote:
talibkweli wrote:
VoidSix wrote:There are no auto-admits in the dark land of yield protection that is the University of Virginia School of Law.


so i've heard



You're getting in. It might take a while though---until I bit the ED bullet I was just sitting in complete/decision pending land. I faxed in my ED form on a Friday and got the acceptance call on a Monday though.



yo they don't play around about yield protection at uva.

doesn't that turnaround time make you think that you could have maybe gotten into some higher ranked places if you had held out and stayed RD?



Yes and no. I'm positive that I could have gotten into higher ranked schools according (NYU, Michigan, and maybe Penn) to US News---I'm very unsure if I would have gotten into schools that are really stronger that I like (CC). I'm almost 100 percent that I would not have gotten into the schools that I really like (HYS).

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby ruleser » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:30 am

kurama20 wrote:Yes and no. I'm positive that I could have gotten into higher ranked schools according (NYU, Michigan, and maybe Penn) to US News---I'm very unsure if I would have gotten into schools that are really stronger that I like (CC). I'm almost 100 percent that I would not have gotten into the schools that I really like (HYS).

I really like this response. That's what it is really, isn't it. Yale/Harvard (I don't get putting Stanford in with those, it's just not the same) and then after those, other good schools. I don't think it matters much UVA/NYU/Berkeley/NU/GULC except where you prefer to be and practice. If you don't get Harvard/Yale, it makes sense to just try and get the T14 you like best for whatever reason. If you want to live/work Chicago, why would you choose Berkeley over NU?

User avatar
bluejayk
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:06 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby bluejayk » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:43 am

ruleser wrote:I really like this response. That's what it is really, isn't it. Yale/Harvard (I don't get putting Stanford in with those, it's just not the same) and then after those, other good schools. I don't think it matters much UVA/NYU/Berkeley/NU/GULC except where you prefer to be and practice. If you don't get Harvard/Yale, it makes sense to just try and get the T14 you like best for whatever reason. If you want to live/work Chicago, why would you choose Berkeley over NU?


Spent much time in California? It's got a similar aura to HY out there. Growing up in the east I thought of Stanford as a pretty good school out west that was known for having a really nice campus. In California, it's got major prestige; not like Harvard, but just a notch below. If I were offered both H & S for equal $, I'd choose S without thinking too hard about it; but if I were hoping to live back East, I probably wouldn't feel that way. Stanford apparently wins a lot of cross-admit battles with Harvard.

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby ruleser » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:45 am

bluejayk wrote:
ruleser wrote:I really like this response. That's what it is really, isn't it. Yale/Harvard (I don't get putting Stanford in with those, it's just not the same) and then after those, other good schools. I don't think it matters much UVA/NYU/Berkeley/NU/GULC except where you prefer to be and practice. If you don't get Harvard/Yale, it makes sense to just try and get the T14 you like best for whatever reason. If you want to live/work Chicago, why would you choose Berkeley over NU?


Spent much time in California? It's got a similar aura to HY out there. Growing up in the east I thought of Stanford as a pretty good school out west that was known for having a really nice campus. In California, it's got major prestige; not like Harvard, but just a notch below. If I were offered both H & S for equal $, I'd choose S without thinking too hard about it; but if I were hoping to live back East, I probably wouldn't feel that way. Stanford apparently wins a lot of cross-admit battles with Harvard.

I can't imagine. I live in LA - don't hear of Stanford like it's Yale or Harvard, just like it's a good northern CA school - even here I think UCLA/USC get your further in most professions. My test is really the top-end test - how many Presidents come from Stanford - HY are mainly the two king-maker schools. The rest make lawyers.

User avatar
kurama20
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby kurama20 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:47 am

bluejayk wrote:
ruleser wrote:I really like this response. That's what it is really, isn't it. Yale/Harvard (I don't get putting Stanford in with those, it's just not the same) and then after those, other good schools. I don't think it matters much UVA/NYU/Berkeley/NU/GULC except where you prefer to be and practice. If you don't get Harvard/Yale, it makes sense to just try and get the T14 you like best for whatever reason. If you want to live/work Chicago, why would you choose Berkeley over NU?


Spent much time in California? It's got a similar aura to HY out there. Growing up in the east I thought of Stanford as a pretty good school out west that was known for having a really nice campus. In California, it's got major prestige; not like Harvard, but just a notch below. If I were offered both H & S for equal $, I'd choose S without thinking too hard about it; but if I were hoping to live back East, I probably wouldn't feel that way. Stanford apparently wins a lot of cross-admit battles with Harvard.


Dude you know that you basically proved his point with that statement alone right? :)

User avatar
bluejayk
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:06 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby bluejayk » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:16 am

kurama20 wrote:Dude you know that you basically proved his point with that statement alone right? :)


Heh, yeah, I suppose. Although I do think the gap between Stanford and the rest of the T14 seems pretty big, I definitely don't see Stanford as just another top law school like Colombia. Oh well, it's just perception.

irishman86
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby irishman86 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:13 am

bluejayk wrote:
ruleser wrote:I really like this response. That's what it is really, isn't it. Yale/Harvard (I don't get putting Stanford in with those, it's just not the same) and then after those, other good schools. I don't think it matters much UVA/NYU/Berkeley/NU/GULC except where you prefer to be and practice. If you don't get Harvard/Yale, it makes sense to just try and get the T14 you like best for whatever reason. If you want to live/work Chicago, why would you choose Berkeley over NU?


Spent much time in California? It's got a similar aura to HY out there. Growing up in the east I thought of Stanford as a pretty good school out west that was known for having a really nice campus. In California, it's got major prestige; not like Harvard, but just a notch below. If I were offered both H & S for equal $, I'd choose S without thinking too hard about it; but if I were hoping to live back East, I probably wouldn't feel that way. Stanford apparently wins a lot of cross-admit battles with Harvard.


Agree with you and I am from California. I think the top Ivies like HYP are seen as more prestigious, but Stanford is definitely up there. Harvard by far has the most "wow factor," but Stanford is just a bit below it. It is probably the only school in the California where people will respond with "damn...that's amazing." Basically besides Stanford, I don't think we have any schools in the state that people really go gaga after. (Unless of course you are a techie and know about Cal-tech.)

That said, if I actually had the numbers I'd choose Harvard in a heartbeat because I don't like Stanford's campus (don't think it's nice; reminds me of Mexico) and Palo Alto is lame.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby crackberry » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:45 pm

ruleser wrote:I can't imagine. I live in LA - don't hear of Stanford like it's Yale or Harvard, just like it's a good northern CA school - even here I think UCLA/USC get your further in most professions. My test is really the top-end test - how many Presidents come from Stanford - HY are mainly the two king-maker schools. The rest make lawyers.

Stanford makes a lot of Supreme Court justices though. Also, Stanford weather >>>>>>> Harvard/Yale weather. And California girls >>>>>> East Coast girls.

User avatar
kurama20
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby kurama20 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:06 pm

crackberry wrote:Stanford makes a lot of Supreme Court justices though. Also, Stanford weather >>>>>>> Harvard/Yale weather. And California girls >>>>>> East Coast girls.


Huh? Stanford has very few Supreme Court Justices . I believe the only ones are William Rehnquist and Sandra Day O'Connor. That's less than Columbia and Michigan. It's not even close to Harvard (14 including 5 current, and not including 4 that attended HLS but didn't graduate) and Yale in terms of number of SCOTUS (11 including 3 sitting) justices. Stanford is sort of in a weird position. It's clearly better than any law school not named Harvard and Yale---but it's really not quite on H and Y's level either. H and Y also massacre SLS in clerkships (particularly SCOTUS). Still it's obviously an amazing school.

That weather thing is really the only area where people on here are consistently able to point to SLS as being the same or better than H and Y.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: applicationquestions, curry4bfast and 5 guests