UVA 2010, RD

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
0L Hoping for 1

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:50 am

laolbjob wrote:My "File Complete, Pending Review/Decision" date just changed from 9/28 to 11/19.

Good sign?!

We dont know. Mine was at 10 something and then changed to 11/5. I got excited, but now its been there since 11/5

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:53 am

laolbjob wrote:My "File Complete, Pending Review/Decision" date just changed from 9/28 to 11/19.

Good sign?!

Same thing for me (actually, almost the exact same dates). No idea what it means. Just hoping it is not the date they drafted a rejection/waitlist letter.
Last edited by toolshed on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:54 am

Burberry by Burberry wrote:
toolshed wrote:
wackjickham wrote:It seems UVA uses a "trickling" process, unlike the steady stream of places like Georgetown or, to a lesser extent, Duke.

UVA should have their prostate checked.

I LOLd. Thanks, I needed that.

:lol: If we didn't laugh, we'd cry (at least in this thread).

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:58 am

Last edited by 5ky on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:59 am

Mine is still stuck at 10/23, but I see that there are people who have dates in September that haven't updated yet so I'm not worried.

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:09 pm

Mine is stuck on 10/13. I don't even check Harvard anymore.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:33 pm

violaboy wrote:Mine is stuck on 10/13. I don't even check Harvard anymore.

Not to piss anyone off, but I think those of you who are "stuck" on an early date should be happy. None of us whose dates changed to 11/XX have received decisions (I'm one of these. My date moved to 11/6 and has stayed there after having previously been 9/24 or something), so I think it means we've completed the first stage of review and they've yet to come to a conclusion on our files (or there's only one stage of review and they are holding us over to wait to reject/WL us sometime a little later).

BUT, for those people whose dates haven't moved, I think it means you're still in the queue (or still in review) and thus still have a shot at an impending acceptance. Remember, everyone who has been admitted so far has said they had NO CHANGE in their status checker before they were notified of admittance.

So while at other schools (Duke, Georgetown), status checker date changes can indicate an impending decision, I think they may be a bad sign at UVA.

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:36 pm

crackberry wrote:

Not to piss anyone off, but I think those of you who are "stuck" on an early date should be happy. None of us whose dates changed to 11/XX have received decisions (I'm one of these. My date moved to 11/6 and has stayed there after having previously been 9/24 or something), so I think it means we've completed the first stage of review and they've yet to come to a conclusion on our files (or there's only one stage of review and they are holding us over to wait to reject/WL us sometime a little later).

BUT, for those people whose dates haven't moved, I think it means you're still in the queue (or still in review) and thus still have a shot at an impending acceptance. Remember, everyone who has been admitted so far has said they had NO CHANGE in their status checker before they were notified of admittance.

So while at other schools (Duke, Georgetown), status checker date changes can indicate an impending decision, I think they may be a bad sign at UVA.

Oh, don't worry, I know that there is no difference between it staying and it changing (at least there seems not to be). Just pointing out that mine hasn't changed :)

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:42 pm

For peoples whose status changed, are you borderline, auto-admit, auto-reject? What kind of numbers do people have.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:44 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:For peoples whose status changed, are you borderline, auto-admit, auto-reject? What kind of numbers do people have.

Very much borderline: below median LSAT (but above 25th), above 75th GPA.

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:46 pm

crackberry wrote:

I certainly hope you are wrong about this...

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:49 pm

toolshed wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Well, I also hope I am wrong about it, FWIW.

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:52 pm

crackberry wrote:
toolshed wrote:
crackberry wrote:

I see your point though. And people with good numbers whose date hasn't changed could be under consideration for $$ as well, which would delay any movement.

I really wouldn't get worked up one way or the other. Honestly, none of us know what any of this means. We will hear when we hear.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:57 pm

Last edited by 5ky on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:00 pm

5ky wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:For peoples whose status changed, are you borderline, auto-admit, auto-reject? What kind of numbers do people have.

I updated 11/04 and not since then. LSAT at 75th, GPA above 75th, with a targeted LOR for UVA and a compelling Why UVA.

Thank god, I am glad to hear that. I am Above 75% LSAT and just under 75% GPA, with a Why UVA Essay and a Recommendation from a UVA Law grad. Also updated to 11/5 and not since then.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:02 pm

crackberry wrote:
toolshed wrote:
crackberry wrote:

I really had not thought about that. That is a very keen observation. My status checker never showed a new date, it just changed to Congratulations. But, if your date did change I wouldn't think it necessarily means something bad. It probably just means your file was reviewed once and will be reviewed again in the future. They say that most files are review more than once.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:02 pm

Interesting theory. Now I can be "stoked" on my status checker being static since 11/03.

Submitted 10/30, "pending decision" since 11/03.

I'm a "consider" on LSP. Total splitter. GPA a hair below the 25th, LSAT a point above the 75th. I live in the south and submitted a strong "Why UVA", though. And on LSN, a few others with worse GPA and LSAT have been admitted so far.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:11 pm

Last edited by 5ky on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:16 pm

5ky wrote:I think I would be more worried about Crackberry's theory if there were distinct waves of people getting into UVA currently. As it stands right now, it's mostly that slow trickle, with a few people hearing every so often.

I will get worried if a big wave of acceptances goes out and it consists mainly of people whose statuses were never updated. Until then, though, I'm going to assume that at least for some people, the updated status means it was reviewed and will be again, or it was reviewed and a decision was likely made, and you will be notified during the first wave of acceptances.

I agree (or at least I hope you're right). I went complete on 10/23, and my under review changed on 11/5. But I'm above the 75th for both GPA and LSAT, and I wrote a Why UVA.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:30 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Interesting theory. Now I can be "stoked" on my status checker being static since 11/03.

Submitted 10/30, "pending decision" since 11/03.

I'm a "consider" on LSP. Total splitter. GPA a hair below the 25th, LSAT a point above the 75th. I live in the south and submitted a strong "Why UVA", though. And on LSN, a few others with worse GPA and LSAT have been admitted so far.

Yeah but were some of those with lesser numbers ED? Given UVA's penchant for accepting ED applicants with mediocre/borderline numbers, I think this is something to be wary of.

virginiagirl55

Postby virginiagirl55 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:41 pm

i just submitted, but am waiting on my 2nd and 3rd LORs to come through. i am above their 75 gpa from a top 10 private and right at 75 lsat, but i didn't write a why uva, given they didn't ask directly for it... or did they, and i somehow missed it? i'm a virginia resident, and uva is one of my top choices. should i write the essay and mail it to them now? so confused.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:56 pm

virginiagirl55 wrote:i just submitted, but am waiting on my 2nd and 3rd LORs to come through. i am above their 75 gpa from a top 10 private and right at 75 lsat, but i didn't write a why uva, given they didn't ask directly for it... or did they, and i somehow missed it? i'm a virginia resident, and uva is one of my top choices. should i write the essay and mail it to them now? so confused.

They don't explicitly ask for one in the application, but they do (implicitly) welcome Why UVA essays. Seeing as you're from Virginia, though, and with good stats, you should be fine.

Burberry by Burberry

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:48 pm

I just thought I'd add my situation:

My "File Complete, Pending Review/Decision" date changed when my third LOR was sent to the law school.

bluejayk

Postby bluejayk » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:52 pm

My status changed on the 16th, one week after I got my first notice on the 9th. I'm wondering if the change was from them receiving and accepting my in-state tuition form. I was hoping for a quick acceptance, but I guess that's not in the cards.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:34 am

Is the File Complete, Pending Review/Decision the last status posted before the decisino is made? Just wondering whether to look out for some change.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”