UVA 2010, RD

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
confuzzled888

Re: Cooley College of Law 2010, RD

Postby confuzzled888 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:38 am

i am spending 180k to go to cooley college :(

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:39 am

confuzzled888 wrote:i am spending 180k to go to cooley college :(

Cheer up, I got waitlisted.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:47 am

Ouch... well at least they have their own stadium now!

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/02/thomas-m--cooley-law-school-buys-stadium-naming-rights/

raperez129

Postby raperez129 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:18 am

doinmybest wrote:

Ouch... well at least they have their own stadium now!

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/02/thomas-m--cooley-law-school-buys-stadium-naming-rights/

Wow....I'm not sure I have the right words to comment on that article.... :shock:

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:33 am

Has anyone that is in state tried to negotiate a scholarship yet? Have they been met with the same denial as the others?

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:50 am

D-hops wrote:

Cheer up, I got waitlisted.

Cooley must be practicing YP this year.

creatinganalt

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby creatinganalt » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:44 am

Hi,

Need advice on negotiating a scholarship. I have a full tuition (Dean's Scholarship?) to UVa but I also have the Hamilton. While I'm waiting on Harvard, I'm losing hope and am trying to decide between these two schools and I think UVa is my first choice, even over Columbia. Question is: can I negotiate a stipend with the Hamilton? Will UVa up to that or is this my best offer from them?

astro1819

Postby astro1819 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:13 am

creatinganalt wrote:Hi,

Need advice on negotiating a scholarship. I have a full tuition (Dean's Scholarship?) to UVa but I also have the Hamilton. While I'm waiting on Harvard, I'm losing hope and am trying to decide between these two schools and I think UVa is my first choice, even over Columbia. Question is: can I negotiate a stipend with the Hamilton? Will UVa up to that or is this my best offer from them?

I doubt it. COL is lower in Charlottesville and full tuition is already extremely generous. I haven't heard of anyone being successful with scholarship negotiations this cycle, and UVA might assume that if you don't go with full tuition and lower COL, a few thousand dollars stipend won't change much.

That said, you could always try.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:21 pm

Any movement on the UVA waiting list yet? I don't imagine so, save for real YP admissions. But I've been away form this thread for a few weeks...

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:45 am

beef wellington wrote:
doinmybest wrote:Wow 138 pages about Cooley. There sure are a lot of people stressing about Cooley.

UVA seems to be quite the numbers whore judging by this thread.

Not really, just a YP whore.

virginiagirl55

Postby virginiagirl55 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:45 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
rv11 wrote:Does anyone know if this was required for ED acceptances as well? Imagine submitting only one app only to find out almost a year later you have nowhere to attend...

For those that are subjected to this, it has clearly said so in their acceptance letter. However, there's a really easy way around this:

jawsthegreat wrote:Just don't update your transcript with LSAC and it won't matter.

TITCR. Send your final transcript directly to UVA, and not to LSAC. Your LSDAS GPA will not change as a result and you'll fulfill the requirements.

sorry to bring this back around several months later, but is this actually a legitimate way to get around the GPA problem? i'm probably having an unnecessary freak out right now, but I keep thinking of worst-case scenarios of dipping below a 3.85 and losing my scholarship but not having put in a seat deposit anywhere else... is avoiding that situation really as simple as this? does anyone have personal experience?

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:47 am

virginiagirl55 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Send your final transcript directly to UVA, and not to LSAC. Your LSDAS GPA will not change as a result and you'll fulfill the requirements.

sorry to bring this back around several months later, but is this actually a legitimate way to get around the GPA problem? i'm probably having an unnecessary freak out right now, but I keep thinking of worst-case scenarios of dipping below a 3.85 and losing my scholarship but not having put in a seat deposit anywhere else... is avoiding that situation really as simple as this? does anyone have personal experience?

I spoke with Jason Dugas and this is what he said as well. If your gpa drops below 3.85 just don't send LSAC your transcript.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:28 am

berkeleykel06 wrote:
virginiagirl55 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Send your final transcript directly to UVA, and not to LSAC. Your LSDAS GPA will not change as a result and you'll fulfill the requirements.

I spoke with Jason Dugas and this is what he said as well. If your gpa drops below 3.85 just don't send LSAC your transcript.

love the commitment to ethical behavior :roll:

BuckNuts

Postby BuckNuts » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:22 am

Withdrew today. Hope the seat and $$ go to someone who will do great things...

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:32 am

IAFG wrote:
berkeleykel06 wrote:
virginiagirl55 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

love the commitment to ethical behavior :roll:

I don't think it's unethical at all. UVA is the one who sets the GPA cut-off, so whether they focus on your LSDAS GPA or your final transcript GPA is up to them. And updating LSAC with your final transcript is not something that most people would do any way so its not as if UVA gets some leg up on other law schools by not having its students send in a final transcript to LSAC if we choose not to. Dugas was just making the point the the LSDAS GPA is the one the school goes by for the 3.85, so as long as that GPA doesn't change you are fine.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:43 am

moose wrote:I wrote a letter to Dean Trujillo outlining my serious financial situation and requested some assistance,..I did this on the advice of the Fin Aid Director. Well,...I got a response this morning. Basically Dean Trujillo said UVA has received more seat deposits than expected and any adjustments would have to be made in May. He also said he'll keep my appeal and if they were under budget he will be back in touch with me.

My first reading told me this is basically a no. I don't know too many entities that find themselves "under budget" these days. But I wanted to hear the thoughts of anyone with knowledge of how need based aid is doled out at UVA and peer schools.

Dunno the answer to moose's question, but, if true, the bolded part doesn't bode well for the waitlist.

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:43 pm

Address LOCIs to Jason Dugas? Yea?

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:52 pm

lawschoollll wrote:Address LOCIs to Jason Dugas? Yea?

Jason Dugas
Director of Admissions
University of Virginia School of Law

That's what I wrote in the top left under my name and details.

Addressed "Dear Mr. Dugas,"

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:02 pm

tommytahoe wrote:

Jason Dugas
Director of Admissions
University of Virginia School of Law

That's what I wrote in the top left under my name and details.

Addressed "Dear Mr. Dugas,"

Thanks

astro1819

Postby astro1819 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:48 pm

I think it depends who read your file and wrote your waitlist letter. Dugas reads the files with last names in the second half of the alphabet. Faulk reads those from the first half. Trujillo is the head of all admissions and financial aid.

crepesme

Postby crepesme » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:48 pm

waitlist fellows, did Dean mention anything about what is the chance to get off the waitlist this year? At least better or not that last year?

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:01 pm

crepesme wrote:waitlist fellows, did Dean mention anything about what is the chance to get off the waitlist this year? At least better or not that last year?

I haven't heard anything. Someone else may know. I think theirs was very small last year, but somewhere on another thread I got the sense that there may be more waitlist activity this year by comparison. But no, I don't really know.

In an email exchange with Jason Dugas two days after I found out about the waitlist, he told me that no he couldn't tell me the size of the waitlist, but that the number will certainly get smaller through April, May, June.

crepesme

Postby crepesme » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:14 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
crepesme wrote:waitlist fellows, did Dean mention anything about what is the chance to get off the waitlist this year? At least better or not that last year?

I haven't heard anything. Someone else may know. I think theirs was very small last year, but somewhere on another thread I got the sense that there may be more waitlist activity this year by comparison. But no, I don't really know.

In an email exchange with Jason Dugas two days after I found out about the waitlist, he told me that no he couldn't tell me the size of the waitlist, but that the number will certainly get smaller through April, May, June.

I just noticed moose's post:

moose wrote:
I wrote a letter to Dean Trujillo outlining my serious financial situation and requested some assistance,..I did this on the advice of the Fin Aid Director. Well,...I got a response this morning. Basically Dean Trujillo said UVA has received more seat deposits than expected and any adjustments would have to be made in May. He also said he'll keep my appeal and if they were under budget he will be back in touch with me.

cry.....

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:20 pm

crepesme wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:

moose wrote:
I wrote a letter to Dean Trujillo outlining my serious financial situation and requested some assistance,..I did this on the advice of the Fin Aid Director. Well,...I got a response this morning. Basically Dean Trujillo said UVA has received more seat deposits than expected and any adjustments would have to be made in May. He also said he'll keep my appeal and if they were under budget he will be back in touch with me.

cry.....

Is this about scholarship/need-based aid availability, or about WL seats availability?

crepesme

Postby crepesme » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:26 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
crepesme wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:

moose wrote:

cry.....

Is this about scholarship/need-based aid availability, or about WL seats availability?

"Dean Trujillo said UVA has received more seat deposits than expected"

I guess it means more ppl than they expected want to attend UVA?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”