UVA 2010, RD

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
bwana73
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:36 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby bwana73 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:50 am

some of you might find this interesting ( I am already on the wait list so it doesn't really help me)... I am a bit of a stats nerd and took the data from LSN (LSDAS GPA, LSAT, URM status, and sex) and put it into a probit regression (it basically predicts the probability of being accepted) Using my stats I predicted the probability for a non-URM male, URM male, and non-URM female (there wasn't enough data to predict a URM female). The interesting part is that the probability of being accepted increases by over 20% if you are a URM or female holding gpa and lsat constant. I am sure this finding isn't unique to UVA, it is just the only school I cared about enough to run the tests on. Also, I am sure there are sample selection problems caused by only using LSN data, but it is still pretty interesting. It would also be interesting to include residency, but I didn't have the data.... just something to chew on.

umichgrad
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:53 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby umichgrad » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:16 pm

Dinged.

Annoyed that it took so long (FIVE MONTHS) but actually relieved, because I'm set on somewhere else and didnt want to move. Also I really didnt have a chance.

Congrats to everyone who's in!

virginiagirl55
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:31 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby virginiagirl55 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:17 pm

HMG wrote:
virginiagirl55 wrote:received a letter for a full tuition scholarship while on spring break. will definitely be attending; uva had been my dream school since i was old enough to know what law school was and i still can't really believe this is happening... i don't understand their cycle this year, but i am surely not going to argue with it. good luck to everyone waiting/waitlisted!


mind sharing your stats?


171, 3.9

berkeleykel06
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:39 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby berkeleykel06 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:50 pm

Any admitted student get their status checker updated today with two emails that it says were sent 3/15...but never arrived? I'm wondering what the one that says "student scholar" is about. Checked spam as well, nothing there. Before I go calling the school I want to make sure others got the email and know whether or not it is anything worth calling about.

berkeleykel06
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:39 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby berkeleykel06 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:04 pm

berkeleykel06 wrote:Any admitted student get their status checker updated today with two emails that it says were sent 3/15...but never arrived? I'm wondering what the one that says "student scholar" is about. Checked spam as well, nothing there. Before I go calling the school I want to make sure others got the email and know whether or not it is anything worth calling about.



Nevermind...just arrived.

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby bgdddymtty » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:06 pm

berkeleykel06 wrote:Any admitted student get their status checker updated today with two emails that it says were sent 3/15...but never arrived? I'm wondering what the one that says "student scholar" is about. Checked spam as well, nothing there. Before I go calling the school I want to make sure others got the email and know whether or not it is anything worth calling about.


Mine shows that one, as well as another sent today labeled "Prof. Devel." I received the latter email, and it's a generic message giving links to various extracurricular activities (e.g. moot court) and clinics offered by the school. My guess is that the "Student Scholar" email is similar in nature, and not related to scholarship notification. Sorry.

berkeleykel06
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:39 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby berkeleykel06 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:10 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
berkeleykel06 wrote:Any admitted student get their status checker updated today with two emails that it says were sent 3/15...but never arrived? I'm wondering what the one that says "student scholar" is about. Checked spam as well, nothing there. Before I go calling the school I want to make sure others got the email and know whether or not it is anything worth calling about.


Mine shows that one, as well as another sent today labeled "Prof. Devel." I received the latter email, and it's a generic message giving links to various extracurricular activities (e.g. moot court) and clinics offered by the school. My guess is that the "Student Scholar" email is similar in nature, and not related to scholarship notification. Sorry.


Yeah generic email. Figured that since I wasn't expecting a scholarship anyway and since they seem to send scholarships through regular mail. But I was still hoping for something at least mildly interesting.

strokes788
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:09 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby strokes788 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:13 pm

Finally got my YP WL. Application withdrawn. Good luck to those on the WL or are waiting and really want to go to UVA!

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby thickfreakness » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Another day, another no-decision from UVA. Anyone else get anything this afternoon?

strokes788
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:09 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby strokes788 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:49 pm

thickfreakness wrote:Another day, another no-decision from UVA. Anyone else get anything this afternoon?


Got waitlisted at 1 pm via email, 172/3.6

bluedevilkate
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:07 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby bluedevilkate » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:06 pm

has anyone discussed deferring scholarship money at UVA for teach for america? or have any anecdotal evidence of that being allowed?

Apple Tree
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Apple Tree » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:25 pm

bluedevilkate wrote:has anyone discussed deferring scholarship money at UVA for teach for america? or have any anecdotal evidence of that being allowed?


+1. For me, it's family and work reasons. It would be nice to know what criteria they look at when they decide whether to defer scholarship money.

Zara
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:37 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Zara » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:38 pm

my status checker has been at under review/pending decision since 2/8. The date changed yesterday but the status is still the same. what does that mean? I am pretty sure I'll be waitlisted but would just like to know so I can be sure about my decision to withdraw.

User avatar
badpixie
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby badpixie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:15 pm

Zara wrote:my status checker has been at under review/pending decision since 2/8. The date changed yesterday but the status is still the same. what does that mean? I am pretty sure I'll be waitlisted but would just like to know so I can be sure about my decision to withdraw.


For some people, a date change was followed by a decision within a few hours, but not for everyone. My date changed on 3/10, but nothing has happened since. I assumed my file moved from a pile on one person's desk to a pile on someone else's desk.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby thickfreakness » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:19 pm

Anyone think there will be movement this week? The ASW might affect application review, for obvious reasons, so I'm thinking there won't be a whole lot coming out the rest of the week unless they've got a bunch of decisions they're just waiting to flood out, similar to how they did with those large WL batches a week or so ago.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:47 pm

And my prediction was off. Waitlisted today. Can't justifiably call it YP, since I did try to indicate my interest in my application and throughout the review process. Disappointing, indeed.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby IAFG » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:48 pm

thickfreakness wrote:And my prediction was off. Waitlisted today. Can't justifiably call it YP, since I did try to indicate my interest in my application and throughout the review process. Disappointing, indeed.

why did you choose not to ED?

User avatar
bluejayk
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:06 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby bluejayk » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:49 pm

thickfreakness wrote:And my prediction was off. Waitlisted today. Can't justifiably call it YP, since I did try to indicate my interest in my application and throughout the review process. Disappointing, indeed.


jeez, that sucks.. figured you'd get some $ with your numbers.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:50 pm

IAFG wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:And my prediction was off. Waitlisted today. Can't justifiably call it YP, since I did try to indicate my interest in my application and throughout the review process. Disappointing, indeed.

why did you choose not to ED?



Thought a 171/4.0 would get in RD just fine and I really wasn't 100% sure I was set on UVA. I'm not going to commit my wife to move somewhere we haven't visited extensively and then risk being in a negative financial situation if merit aid wasn't what it needed to be. This narrows my cycle down to Duke vs. Vanderbilt.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby IAFG » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:52 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
IAFG wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:And my prediction was off. Waitlisted today. Can't justifiably call it YP, since I did try to indicate my interest in my application and throughout the review process. Disappointing, indeed.

why did you choose not to ED?



Thought a 171/4.0 would get in RD just fine and I really wasn't 100% sure I was set on UVA. I'm not going to commit my wife to move somewhere we haven't visited extensively and then risk being in a negative financial situation if merit aid wasn't what it needed to be. This narrows my cycle down to Duke vs. Vanderbilt.

well i am sorry to hear. it just wasn't an RDer's cycle at UVA.

HMG
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:07 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby HMG » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:13 pm

thickfreakness wrote:And my prediction was off. Waitlisted today. Can't justifiably call it YP, since I did try to indicate my interest in my application and throughout the review process. Disappointing, indeed.

So sorry to hear that, I know you were really keen on UVA. I'm still waiting on an answer but not very hopefull considering whats been happening to RD's of late. This sucks, UVA is def my #1 but for financial reasons, I just couldn't bring myself to ED. I've also got Duke under the belt with some $$- are you going to the ASW next weekend?

memaha
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:23 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby memaha » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:23 pm

thickfreakness wrote:And my prediction was off. Waitlisted today. Can't justifiably call it YP, since I did try to indicate my interest in my application and throughout the review process. Disappointing, indeed.


:( sorry to hear that. I'm sure you'll love Duke or Vandy though!

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:48 pm

HMG wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:And my prediction was off. Waitlisted today. Can't justifiably call it YP, since I did try to indicate my interest in my application and throughout the review process. Disappointing, indeed.

So sorry to hear that, I know you were really keen on UVA. I'm still waiting on an answer but not very hopefull considering whats been happening to RD's of late. This sucks, UVA is def my #1 but for financial reasons, I just couldn't bring myself to ED. I've also got Duke under the belt with some $$- are you going to the ASW next weekend?



Yeah I'll be in Durham from Thursday through Sunday. I'm really excited about it. I haven't heard anything about a scholarship from them, so I'm hopeful that's in the works.

HMG
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:07 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby HMG » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:03 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
HMG wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:And my prediction was off. Waitlisted today. Can't justifiably call it YP, since I did try to indicate my interest in my application and throughout the review process. Disappointing, indeed.

So sorry to hear that, I know you were really keen on UVA. I'm still waiting on an answer but not very hopefull considering whats been happening to RD's of late. This sucks, UVA is def my #1 but for financial reasons, I just couldn't bring myself to ED. I've also got Duke under the belt with some $$- are you going to the ASW next weekend?



Yeah I'll be in Durham from Thursday through Sunday. I'm really excited about it. I haven't heard anything about a scholarship from them, so I'm hopeful that's in the works.


I would think it is, they are usually pretty generous with money. Also, if you got any other scholly offers (maybe from Vandy??) I would consider writing them a letter "respectfully requesting consideration for any remaining merit scholarships"...it's been known to work. Maybe I'll see you there next weekend!

User avatar
publiuspublicola
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:27 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby publiuspublicola » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:42 pm

Just got my WL email today. Claims that they received 7,900 non-resident apps.

172/3.84, strong softs (MA, int'l fellowships in grad school)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aquinas, BrainsyK, Christinabruin, dianersg, ellielaw, Exabot [Bot], hoy456, kadams, lawschoolbound2017, MSNbot Media, ngmlsat, NotAGolfer, spursforever, sre08, ws120 and 59 guests