UVA 2010, RD

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:36 pm

tacitus33 wrote:Waitlisted. I'm a total splitter - 175/3.2 - so is it safe to assume the GPA is the issue?

It could be a number of things, including just that they had more splitters than they wanted/needed and you didn't make the cut. Maybe you have less WE or weaker softs than other splitters that applied?

tacitus33
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby tacitus33 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:00 pm

vanwinkle wrote:It could be a number of things, including just that they had more splitters than they wanted/needed and you didn't make the cut. Maybe you have less WE or weaker softs than other splitters that applied?

Three years of WE, and a lot of other stuff on my resume - definitely more than most applicants I know, for whatever that's worth. Hard to evaluate one's own statement objectively but I'd say it's at least average, and I expect my letters were pretty good as well. So overall my guess would be that my softs are stronger than the average applicant.

If the GPA is the only thing giving them pause, how do you think that impacts my chances of getting in off the WL?

memaha
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:23 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby memaha » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:11 pm

Tacitus33, send them a LOCI! UVA is definitely one of those schools (especially now) that appreciates and takes notice if you tell them how much you are interested.

Apple Tree
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Apple Tree » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:45 pm

HMG wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:
boo jersey shore wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Just got 75K from Virginia. So surreal. Went straight to my number 1 choice.

How were you notified?


Mail.

First of all, congrats!!! I was wondering if you had a change in your status checker this week/today that corresponded with your letter offer of admission/scholly? Did it change to decision rendered before you got the mail? If so, any idea how long before?


Thanks! Actually i was admitted 3 months ago so i stopped checking the status checker once I was in. Sorry I can't be much help there...However, if I can remember correctly, my date changed a few days before they called and told me I was admitted back in December.

Apple Tree
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Apple Tree » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:46 pm

oneforship wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:
boo jersey shore wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Just got 75K from Virginia. So surreal. Went straight to my number 1 choice.

How were you notified?


Mail.


do you see any mailing on your status checker?


Yes. They put all their mailings in the status checker (including emails). :shock:

astro1819
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:18 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby astro1819 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:58 pm

Apple Tree wrote:Just got 75K from Virginia. So surreal. Went straight to my number 1 choice.


Wow, unreal!! As a numbers twin with the exact same offers from Mich, BU, and Vandy, it makes me wonder if I am even in the running for the same scholarship. If I got offered 75k, I would be absolutely FLOORED. You must've really stood out, amazing job, congrats!!

Apple Tree
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Apple Tree » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:27 pm

astro1819 wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Just got 75K from Virginia. So surreal. Went straight to my number 1 choice.


Wow, unreal!! As a numbers twin with the exact same offers from Mich, BU, and Vandy, it makes me wonder if I am even in the running for the same scholarship. If I got offered 75k, I would be absolutely FLOORED. You must've really stood out, amazing job, congrats!!


Lol, we are number twins! Our scholly amounts are exactly the same, haha. Good luck! I think you will get the same amount from Virginia too. I looked at your LSN profile. My extracurricular activities are not as impressive as yours (at least I think). Will you be going there if they offered you 75k?

astro1819
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:18 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby astro1819 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:39 pm

Apple Tree wrote:
astro1819 wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Just got 75K from Virginia. So surreal. Went straight to my number 1 choice.


Wow, unreal!! As a numbers twin with the exact same offers from Mich, BU, and Vandy, it makes me wonder if I am even in the running for the same scholarship. If I got offered 75k, I would be absolutely FLOORED. You must've really stood out, amazing job, congrats!!


Lol, we are number twins! Our scholly amounts are exactly the same, haha. Good luck! I think you will get the same amount from Virginia too. I looked at your LSN profile. My extracurricular activities are not as impressive as yours are. Will you be going there if they offered you 75k?


Haha, thanks. Unequivocal YES if they offered me 75k. You have just generated new hope for me (and probably a few other people on this board), but I'm trying not to get those hopes too high. I suppose I'll just have to wait and see if anything comes in the mail. Money will play a big factor in my decision.

Do you think you'll attend now that you have such a great offer?

Apple Tree
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Apple Tree » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:14 pm

astro1819 wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:
astro1819 wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Just got 75K from Virginia. So surreal. Went straight to my number 1 choice.


Wow, unreal!! As a numbers twin with the exact same offers from Mich, BU, and Vandy, it makes me wonder if I am even in the running for the same scholarship. If I got offered 75k, I would be absolutely FLOORED. You must've really stood out, amazing job, congrats!!


Lol, we are number twins! Our scholly amounts are exactly the same, haha. Good luck! I think you will get the same amount from Virginia too. I looked at your LSN profile. My extracurricular activities are not as impressive as yours are. Will you be going there if they offered you 75k?


Haha, thanks. Unequivocal YES if they offered me 75k. You have just generated new hope for me (and probably a few other people on this board), but I'm trying not to get those hopes too high. I suppose I'll just have to wait and see if anything comes in the mail. Money will play a big factor in my decision.

Do you think you'll attend now that you have such a great offer?


Yeah, I'm 90% sure I will be going to Virginia. I'm going to the Apr ASW and if I like everything I see, I'm in. Although I'm trying to see if I can defer a year so I can make more money...

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby im_blue » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:23 pm

So far on LSN, 45 out of 70 (64%) above-both-median applicants have been accepted, of which 34 (76%) received scholarship money. However, I strongly suspect that VA residents make up the majority of both the accepted and scholarship pools, which means you really have to convince them of your interest as a nonresident.

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby existenz » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:06 pm

im_blue wrote:So far on LSN, 45 out of 70 (64%) above-both-median applicants have been accepted, of which 34 (76%) received scholarship money. However, I strongly suspect that VA residents make up the majority of both the accepted and scholarship pools, which means you really have to convince them of your interest as a nonresident.

LSN is particularly unreliable when it comes to scholarship amounts. Plenty of people don't enter their scholarship amounts, so I'm guessing that 76% scholly number is closer to 100%.

Interesting that only one ED admit has a scholly listed, but that's probably because so many of the ED applicants are major splitters and reverse-splitters.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby thickfreakness » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:08 pm

existenz wrote:
im_blue wrote:So far on LSN, 45 out of 70 (64%) above-both-median applicants have been accepted, of which 34 (76%) received scholarship money. However, I strongly suspect that VA residents make up the majority of both the accepted and scholarship pools, which means you really have to convince them of your interest as a nonresident.

LSN is particularly unreliable when it comes to scholarship amounts. Plenty of people don't enter their scholarship amounts, so I'm guessing that 76% scholly number is closer to 100%.

Interesting that only one ED admit has a scholly listed, but that's probably because so many of the ED applicants are major splitters and reverse-splitters.


I'm not sure that data-set includes people who are still waiting, as well. As far as residency goes, you'd have to click on every profile to check and a lot of folks on LSN don't disclose where they are in order to preserve some anonymity. I'll be interested to see how that same search set looks on April 1.

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby existenz » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:33 pm

thickfreakness wrote:I'm not sure that data-set includes people who are still waiting, as well.

It doesn't. There are 24 folks still "Pending" (excluding those who withdrew), though who knows how many of those people simply stopped updating their LSN profile.

Since 2/1, only 8 above-both-median candidates have been accepted on LSN, while 21 have been waitlisted. Would love to know the in-state, out-of-state breakdown on those folks.

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:55 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
existenz wrote:
im_blue wrote:So far on LSN, 45 out of 70 (64%) above-both-median applicants have been accepted, of which 34 (76%) received scholarship money. However, I strongly suspect that VA residents make up the majority of both the accepted and scholarship pools, which means you really have to convince them of your interest as a nonresident.

LSN is particularly unreliable when it comes to scholarship amounts. Plenty of people don't enter their scholarship amounts, so I'm guessing that 76% scholly number is closer to 100%.

Interesting that only one ED admit has a scholly listed, but that's probably because so many of the ED applicants are major splitters and reverse-splitters.


I'm not sure that data-set includes people who are still waiting, as well. As far as residency goes, you'd have to click on every profile to check and a lot of folks on LSN don't disclose where they are in order to preserve some anonymity. I'll be interested to see how that same search set looks on April 1.


I'm applied ED with 3.51/173 so some $ good be a possibility for me at some point.

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby bgdddymtty » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:00 pm

existenz wrote:Interesting that only one ED admit has a scholly listed, but that's probably because so many of the ED applicants are major splitters and reverse-splitters.


That's one reason, but I doubt it's the main one. Since ED admits are locked in, there's no need to let them know about scholarships immediately. UVa says that they announce most scholarships in late March/early April, so I'd be willing to bet (and am personally hoping) that many of those ED admits will receive scholarship awards soon.

virginiagirl55
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:31 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby virginiagirl55 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:00 pm

received a letter for a full tuition scholarship while on spring break. will definitely be attending; uva had been my dream school since i was old enough to know what law school was and i still can't really believe this is happening... i don't understand their cycle this year, but i am surely not going to argue with it. good luck to everyone waiting/waitlisted!

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby existenz » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:47 pm

virginiagirl55 wrote:received a letter for a full tuition scholarship while on spring break. will definitely be attending; uva had been my dream school since i was old enough to know what law school was and i still can't really believe this is happening... i don't understand their cycle this year, but i am surely not going to argue with it. good luck to everyone waiting/waitlisted!

Congrats! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

User avatar
suspicious android
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby suspicious android » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:53 pm

anyone know if it's worth taking the June LSAT if you've already been accepted but are hoping for a increase in $$ from UVa? I'm in state and 173, but below median GPA. I was thinking about taking it to maybe get off other waitlists, but I'm now leaning towards UVA or nothing, since I don't think I'm willing to pay sticker at my waitlist schools.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby IAFG » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:03 pm

suspicious android wrote:anyone know if it's worth taking the June LSAT if you've already been accepted but are hoping for a increase in $$ from UVa? I'm in state and 173, but below median GPA. I was thinking about taking it to maybe get off other waitlists, but I'm now leaning towards UVA or nothing, since I don't think I'm willing to pay sticker at my waitlist schools.

have you gotten any $ yet?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:21 pm

suspicious android wrote:anyone know if it's worth taking the June LSAT if you've already been accepted but are hoping for a increase in $$ from UVa? I'm in state and 173, but below median GPA. I was thinking about taking it to maybe get off other waitlists, but I'm now leaning towards UVA or nothing, since I don't think I'm willing to pay sticker at my waitlist schools.

173 is already well over their median LSAT. Increasing your LSAT score from there isn't going to help you much at all.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby thickfreakness » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:41 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
suspicious android wrote:anyone know if it's worth taking the June LSAT if you've already been accepted but are hoping for a increase in $$ from UVa? I'm in state and 173, but below median GPA. I was thinking about taking it to maybe get off other waitlists, but I'm now leaning towards UVA or nothing, since I don't think I'm willing to pay sticker at my waitlist schools.

173 is already well over their median LSAT. Increasing your LSAT score from there isn't going to help you much at all.



Yeah they might revoke your acceptance and put you on the WL. :roll: (just kidding, I think vanwinkle's response is TCR here.)

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby im_blue » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:41 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
suspicious android wrote:anyone know if it's worth taking the June LSAT if you've already been accepted but are hoping for a increase in $$ from UVa? I'm in state and 173, but below median GPA. I was thinking about taking it to maybe get off other waitlists, but I'm now leaning towards UVA or nothing, since I don't think I'm willing to pay sticker at my waitlist schools.

173 is already well over their median LSAT. Increasing your LSAT score from there isn't going to help you much at all.

+1, and all the money will be given away by late June anyway.

User avatar
suspicious android
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby suspicious android » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:03 pm

IAFG wrote:
suspicious android wrote:anyone know if it's worth taking the June LSAT if you've already been accepted but are hoping for a increase in $$ from UVa? I'm in state and 173, but below median GPA. I was thinking about taking it to maybe get off other waitlists, but I'm now leaning towards UVA or nothing, since I don't think I'm willing to pay sticker at my waitlist schools.

have you gotten any $ yet?



Nope. Hopefully I'll get something. Anyway, I'll just wait and see what they've got in store.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby IAFG » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:05 pm

suspicious android wrote:
IAFG wrote:
suspicious android wrote:anyone know if it's worth taking the June LSAT if you've already been accepted but are hoping for a increase in $$ from UVa? I'm in state and 173, but below median GPA. I was thinking about taking it to maybe get off other waitlists, but I'm now leaning towards UVA or nothing, since I don't think I'm willing to pay sticker at my waitlist schools.

have you gotten any $ yet?



Nope. Hopefully I'll get something. Anyway, I'll just wait and see what they've got in store.

same LSAT also resident also submedian GPA. we shall see.

HMG
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:07 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby HMG » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:42 am

virginiagirl55 wrote:received a letter for a full tuition scholarship while on spring break. will definitely be attending; uva had been my dream school since i was old enough to know what law school was and i still can't really believe this is happening... i don't understand their cycle this year, but i am surely not going to argue with it. good luck to everyone waiting/waitlisted!


mind sharing your stats?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ajoelles, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests