UVA 2010, RD

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby thickfreakness » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:00 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:<---- Wants UVA, no T6 applications out, fears the YP.


I dont think your numbers are YP category to be honest. If you wrote a why uva, you have a good shot. I got in with a 3.8/173

sounds like YP


Lulz. Calling an over median WL YP is what it is. Whether it's actually YP or not doesn't really matter to me, because the end result is the same: I'm surprisingly waitlisted at school I consider to be my top choice.

User avatar
sundevil77
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:34 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby sundevil77 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:05 pm

memaha wrote:I do agree with both of you on the issue of getting $$. And I think it does suck if you have numbers that will get you into T6s but financially need $$ offers from MVP and then are getting shut out and WLed at all three of them. That does suck. A T-6 vs. a T-10 with $$ is definitely a harder choice (unless like r6_philly said, its HYS, which is a whole other thing).

But, I am mainly focusing on the responses that people have been throwing out there about how they didn't even want to go to UVA anyways, and how UVA doesn't compare to the others for location/academia/whatever. Yes if you wanted to get a $$ offer from UVA, I understand your frustration. But what I don't understand are the people whom are making it pretty obvious, after getting WLed that they never considered UVA as a top choice anyways, $$ or no $$.


Yes, but have you considered the possibility that I said those mean, nasty things about UVA only to take away the sting of the WL :cry: Probably half the people put on the WL considered UVA one of their top 3 or 4 choices. We don't know how to cope with rejection so we lash out at the thing that hurt us. :cry: *sniff, sniff*

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:12 pm

when you have above median numbers, WL feels like the worst kind rejection. It's like saying "you are good enough, but I am just saying no, not right now."

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:14 pm

Now for a serious question, how long after "File Complete, Pending Review/Decision" do you get a decision on average?

avacado111
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby avacado111 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:19 pm

r6_philly wrote:when you have above median numbers, WL feels like the worst kind rejection. It's like saying "you are good enough, but I am just saying no, not right now."


hahahaha. your seriously reading too much into it.

It's as simple as this: if you really want UVA badly tell them so in the form of an LOCI saying that if accepted you will attend or ED. If you don't show them this, then I think it's extremely fair. UVA wants people who wants them. It's that simple. If you did not communicate this in any way then there is no way to have the mindset above.

Also people have gotten in on this fourm who were not ED and had numbers above the 75% with $$. It's the way they communicated with how much they loved the school.

It's really simple.

berkeleykel06
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:39 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby berkeleykel06 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:21 pm

r6_philly wrote:Now for a serious question, how long after "File Complete, Pending Review/Decision" do you get a decision on average?


I think it took me about 6-7 weeks. Went complete early Jan.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:27 pm

avacado111 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:when you have above median numbers, WL feels like the worst kind rejection. It's like saying "you are good enough, but I am just saying no, not right now."


hahahaha. your seriously reading too much into it.

It's as simple as this: if you really want UVA badly tell them so in the form of an LOCI saying that if accepted you will attend or ED. If you don't show them this, then I think it's extremely fair. UVA wants people who wants them. It's that simple. If you did not communicate this in any way then there is no way to have the mindset above.

Also people have gotten in on this fourm who were not ED and had numbers above the 75% with $$. It's the way they communicated with how much they loved the school.

It's really simple.


I get it I get it, but it would be lying to confess one's love if you are just dating :lol: I think getting WL'ed while applying is more like getting put off when asking someone out for a date. They could just say no but they are going to say "well I can't fit you in but maybe next month".

Don't worry, I am just finding humor out of the whole thing. I expect to be WL by all schools and reapply earlier next year.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7124
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby los blancos » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:33 pm

Dignan wrote:
los blancos wrote:
Dignan wrote:Waitlisted. I'm stunned.


Enjoy Boalt. 8)


Blatant anti-CLS trolling. :)


Haha I somehow missed in your profile that you got into CLS. :mrgreen:


Enjoy Columbia. 8)

User avatar
sundevil77
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:34 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby sundevil77 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:36 pm

avacado111 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:when you have above median numbers, WL feels like the worst kind rejection. It's like saying "you are good enough, but I am just saying no, not right now."


hahahaha. your seriously reading too much into it.

It's as simple as this: if you really want UVA badly tell them so in the form of an LOCI saying that if accepted you will attend or ED. If you don't show them this, then I think it's extremely fair. UVA wants people who wants them. It's that simple. If you did not communicate this in any way then there is no way to have the mindset above.

Also people have gotten in on this fourm who were not ED and had numbers above the 75% with $$. It's the way they communicated with how much they loved the school.

It's really simple.


Not really understanding this. I think you mean that everybody who ED'd with numbers above the 75th got in with $$?

I expressed to UVA that they were one of my top choices, but I don't think it should be requisite to bind yourself to a school in order to be admitted. Seriously, I wonder how many people ED'd without even visiting the campus? For me, that would be unthinkable. But, I understand that UVA can do whatever the heck it wants. More power to 'em. I kind of feel like they're doing the whole Xerxes thing from the movie 300. They'll be kind to you as long as you kneel down and kiss their feet. Sorry, but that's not me.

Apple Tree
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Apple Tree » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:19 pm

Just got 75K from Virginia. So surreal. Went straight to my number 1 choice.

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby hannah87 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:22 pm

Apple Tree wrote:Just got 75K from Virginia. So surreal. Went straight to my number 1 choice.


what the what!! that's amazing. congrats!!! i have similar numbers. any money would be a HUGE shock to me, though.

Apple Tree
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Apple Tree » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:26 pm

hannah87 wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Just got 75K from Virginia. So surreal. Went straight to my number 1 choice.


what the what!! that's amazing. congrats!!! i have similar numbers. any money would be a HUGE shock to me, though.


I know!! I was expecting 0 from them so I didn't even both with researching it. I literally burst into tears when I saw the letter (my husband thinks I went mad). It even gave me more money than UT and Vandy!! I was so surprised when they accepted me because my lsat was not that strong. Suffice to say, I'm speechless now.

I just saw that we are number twins so good luck! I'm jealous that you got W/L at Columbia. :D
Last edited by Apple Tree on Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby hannah87 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:28 pm

Apple Tree wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Just got 75K from Virginia. So surreal. Went straight to my number 1 choice.


what the what!! that's amazing. congrats!!! i have similar numbers. any money would be a HUGE shock to me, though.


I know!! I was expecting 0 from them so I didn't even both with researching it. I literally burst into tears when I saw the letter (my husband thinks I went mad). It even gave me more money than UT and Vandy!! I was so surprised when they accepted me because my lsat was not that strong. Suffice to say, I'm speechless now.


that's so awesome!! big congrats :D . is it strictly merit-based? i wonder if other people are finding out today...

Apple Tree
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Apple Tree » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:31 pm

hannah87 wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Just got 75K from Virginia. So surreal. Went straight to my number 1 choice.


what the what!! that's amazing. congrats!!! i have similar numbers. any money would be a HUGE shock to me, though.


I know!! I was expecting 0 from them so I didn't even both with researching it. I literally burst into tears when I saw the letter (my husband thinks I went mad). It even gave me more money than UT and Vandy!! I was so surprised when they accepted me because my lsat was not that strong. Suffice to say, I'm speechless now.


that's so awesome!! big congrats :D . is it strictly merit-based? i wonder if other people are finding out today...


It looks like it's just merit-based. They also hinted in the letter that they are up for negotiation, but I don't have any better offer now (I guess except the one from Alabama but that's not really on the same level).

So if you got into Columbia that would be a great negotiation tool.
Last edited by Apple Tree on Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Apple Tree
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Apple Tree » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:31 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Just got 75K from Virginia. So surreal. Went straight to my number 1 choice.

How were you notified?


Mail.

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby hannah87 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:33 pm

Apple Tree wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
that's so awesome!! big congrats :D . is it strictly merit-based? i wonder if other people are finding out today...


It looks like it's just merit-based. They also hinted in the letter that they are up for negotiation, but I don't have any better offer now (I guess except the one from Alabama but that's not really on the same level).

So if you got int Columbia that would be a great negotiation tool.


I don't think CLS is going to happen in this lifetime. But wow, I would be so thrilled with $ from UVa. It would be just the ticket to convince my husband to make the move. Otherwise, I'm probably going to Fordham.

Apple Tree
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Apple Tree » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:37 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:
boo jersey shore wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Just got 75K from Virginia. So surreal. Went straight to my number 1 choice.

How were you notified?


Mail.

Much appreciated. Congratulations, now go have a drink.


I wish I could! I'm on a lunch break and have to go back to work now. But I'll have to say, this letter and the fact that it's Friday today make the best pre-weekend joy!

Apple Tree
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Apple Tree » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:37 pm

hannah87 wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
that's so awesome!! big congrats :D . is it strictly merit-based? i wonder if other people are finding out today...


It looks like it's just merit-based. They also hinted in the letter that they are up for negotiation, but I don't have any better offer now (I guess except the one from Alabama but that's not really on the same level).

So if you got int Columbia that would be a great negotiation tool.


I don't think CLS is going to happen in this lifetime. But wow, I would be so thrilled with $ from UVa. It would be just the ticket to convince my husband to make the move. Otherwise, I'm probably going to Fordham.


We are number twins so you have a very good chance! Good luck to you!

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby hannah87 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:42 pm

Apple Tree wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
that's so awesome!! big congrats :D . is it strictly merit-based? i wonder if other people are finding out today...


It looks like it's just merit-based. They also hinted in the letter that they are up for negotiation, but I don't have any better offer now (I guess except the one from Alabama but that's not really on the same level).

So if you got int Columbia that would be a great negotiation tool.


I don't think CLS is going to happen in this lifetime. But wow, I would be so thrilled with $ from UVa. It would be just the ticket to convince my husband to make the move. Otherwise, I'm probably going to Fordham.


We are number twins so you have a very good chance! Good luck to you!


thanks, apple! congrats again!!

strokes788
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:09 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby strokes788 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:28 pm

After 3 months of my status checker saying December 16th complete/pending review, having applied the 15th, they updated my date to today. Is that a sign of my impending waitlist/ding? Or does the date change mean nothing. Were those who have recently received waitlists/dings also updated to a new date right before they got the email?

HMG
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:07 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby HMG » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:55 pm

Apple Tree wrote:
boo jersey shore wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Just got 75K from Virginia. So surreal. Went straight to my number 1 choice.

How were you notified?


Mail.

First of all, congrats!!! I was wondering if you had a change in your status checker this week/today that corresponded with your letter offer of admission/scholly? Did it change to decision rendered before you got the mail? If so, any idea how long before?

jgolimow
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:02 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby jgolimow » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:00 pm

strokes788 wrote:After 3 months of my status checker saying December 16th complete/pending review, having applied the 15th, they updated my date to today. Is that a sign of my impending waitlist/ding? Or does the date change mean nothing. Were those who have recently received waitlists/dings also updated to a new date right before they got the email?

Mind updated in the morning ... WL email at 5.

strokes788
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:09 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby strokes788 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:03 pm

jgolimow wrote:
strokes788 wrote:After 3 months of my status checker saying December 16th complete/pending review, having applied the 15th, they updated my date to today. Is that a sign of my impending waitlist/ding? Or does the date change mean nothing. Were those who have recently received waitlists/dings also updated to a new date right before they got the email?

Mind updated in the morning ... WL email at 5.


172/3.6+ here, which = definite yield protection WL/ding territory happening I'd guess like you at 5 since for some weird reason it seems like UVA loves to send it en masse right before the office closes (I guess to prevent getting calls/questions right after). Thanks for the info!

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby oneforship » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:11 pm

Apple Tree wrote:
boo jersey shore wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Just got 75K from Virginia. So surreal. Went straight to my number 1 choice.

How were you notified?


Mail.


do you see any mailing on your status checker?

tacitus33
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby tacitus33 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:31 pm

Waitlisted. I'm a total splitter - 175/3.2 - so is it safe to assume the GPA is the issue?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests