UVA 2010, RD

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thickfreakness

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby thickfreakness » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:00 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:<---- Wants UVA, no T6 applications out, fears the YP.

I dont think your numbers are YP category to be honest. If you wrote a why uva, you have a good shot. I got in with a 3.8/173

sounds like YP

Lulz. Calling an over median WL YP is what it is. Whether it's actually YP or not doesn't really matter to me, because the end result is the same: I'm surprisingly waitlisted at school I consider to be my top choice.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:05 pm

memaha wrote:I do agree with both of you on the issue of getting $$. And I think it does suck if you have numbers that will get you into T6s but financially need $$ offers from MVP and then are getting shut out and WLed at all three of them. That does suck. A T-6 vs. a T-10 with $$ is definitely a harder choice (unless like r6_philly said, its HYS, which is a whole other thing).

But, I am mainly focusing on the responses that people have been throwing out there about how they didn't even want to go to UVA anyways, and how UVA doesn't compare to the others for location/academia/whatever. Yes if you wanted to get a $$ offer from UVA, I understand your frustration. But what I don't understand are the people whom are making it pretty obvious, after getting WLed that they never considered UVA as a top choice anyways, $$ or no $$.

Yes, but have you considered the possibility that I said those mean, nasty things about UVA only to take away the sting of the WL :cry: Probably half the people put on the WL considered UVA one of their top 3 or 4 choices. We don't know how to cope with rejection so we lash out at the thing that hurt us. :cry: *sniff, sniff*

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:12 pm

when you have above median numbers, WL feels like the worst kind rejection. It's like saying "you are good enough, but I am just saying no, not right now."

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:14 pm

Now for a serious question, how long after "File Complete, Pending Review/Decision" do you get a decision on average?

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:19 pm

r6_philly wrote:when you have above median numbers, WL feels like the worst kind rejection. It's like saying "you are good enough, but I am just saying no, not right now."

hahahaha. your seriously reading too much into it.

It's as simple as this: if you really want UVA badly tell them so in the form of an LOCI saying that if accepted you will attend or ED. If you don't show them this, then I think it's extremely fair. UVA wants people who wants them. It's that simple. If you did not communicate this in any way then there is no way to have the mindset above.

Also people have gotten in on this fourm who were not ED and had numbers above the 75% with $$. It's the way they communicated with how much they loved the school.

It's really simple.

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:21 pm

r6_philly wrote:Now for a serious question, how long after "File Complete, Pending Review/Decision" do you get a decision on average?

I think it took me about 6-7 weeks. Went complete early Jan.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:27 pm

avacado111 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:when you have above median numbers, WL feels like the worst kind rejection. It's like saying "you are good enough, but I am just saying no, not right now."

It's as simple as this: if you really want UVA badly tell them so in the form of an LOCI saying that if accepted you will attend or ED. If you don't show them this, then I think it's extremely fair. UVA wants people who wants them. It's that simple. If you did not communicate this in any way then there is no way to have the mindset above.

Also people have gotten in on this fourm who were not ED and had numbers above the 75% with $$. It's the way they communicated with how much they loved the school.

It's really simple.

I get it I get it, but it would be lying to confess one's love if you are just dating :lol: I think getting WL'ed while applying is more like getting put off when asking someone out for a date. They could just say no but they are going to say "well I can't fit you in but maybe next month".

Don't worry, I am just finding humor out of the whole thing. I expect to be WL by all schools and reapply earlier next year.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:33 pm

Dignan wrote:
los blancos wrote:
Dignan wrote:Waitlisted. I'm stunned.

Enjoy Boalt. 8)

Blatant anti-CLS trolling. :)

Haha I somehow missed in your profile that you got into CLS. :mrgreen:

Enjoy Columbia. 8)

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:36 pm

avacado111 wrote:

It's really simple.

Not really understanding this. I think you mean that everybody who ED'd with numbers above the 75th got in with $$?

I expressed to UVA that they were one of my top choices, but I don't think it should be requisite to bind yourself to a school in order to be admitted. Seriously, I wonder how many people ED'd without even visiting the campus? For me, that would be unthinkable. But, I understand that UVA can do whatever the heck it wants. More power to 'em. I kind of feel like they're doing the whole Xerxes thing from the movie 300. They'll be kind to you as long as you kneel down and kiss their feet. Sorry, but that's not me.

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:19 pm

Just got 75K from Virginia. So surreal. Went straight to my number 1 choice.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:22 pm

Apple Tree wrote:Just got 75K from Virginia. So surreal. Went straight to my number 1 choice.

what the what!! that's amazing. congrats!!! i have similar numbers. any money would be a HUGE shock to me, though.

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:26 pm

hannah87 wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Just got 75K from Virginia. So surreal. Went straight to my number 1 choice.

what the what!! that's amazing. congrats!!! i have similar numbers. any money would be a HUGE shock to me, though.

I know!! I was expecting 0 from them so I didn't even both with researching it. I literally burst into tears when I saw the letter (my husband thinks I went mad). It even gave me more money than UT and Vandy!! I was so surprised when they accepted me because my lsat was not that strong. Suffice to say, I'm speechless now.

I just saw that we are number twins so good luck! I'm jealous that you got W/L at Columbia. :D
Last edited by Apple Tree on Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:28 pm

Apple Tree wrote:
hannah87 wrote:

I know!! I was expecting 0 from them so I didn't even both with researching it. I literally burst into tears when I saw the letter (my husband thinks I went mad). It even gave me more money than UT and Vandy!! I was so surprised when they accepted me because my lsat was not that strong. Suffice to say, I'm speechless now.

that's so awesome!! big congrats :D . is it strictly merit-based? i wonder if other people are finding out today...

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:31 pm

hannah87 wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:
hannah87 wrote:

that's so awesome!! big congrats :D . is it strictly merit-based? i wonder if other people are finding out today...

It looks like it's just merit-based. They also hinted in the letter that they are up for negotiation, but I don't have any better offer now (I guess except the one from Alabama but that's not really on the same level).

So if you got into Columbia that would be a great negotiation tool.
Last edited by Apple Tree on Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:31 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:

How were you notified?

Mail.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:33 pm

Apple Tree wrote:
hannah87 wrote:

It looks like it's just merit-based. They also hinted in the letter that they are up for negotiation, but I don't have any better offer now (I guess except the one from Alabama but that's not really on the same level).

So if you got int Columbia that would be a great negotiation tool.

I don't think CLS is going to happen in this lifetime. But wow, I would be so thrilled with $ from UVa. It would be just the ticket to convince my husband to make the move. Otherwise, I'm probably going to Fordham.

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:37 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:
boo jersey shore wrote:

How were you notified?

Mail.

Much appreciated. Congratulations, now go have a drink.

I wish I could! I'm on a lunch break and have to go back to work now. But I'll have to say, this letter and the fact that it's Friday today make the best pre-weekend joy!

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:37 pm

hannah87 wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:
hannah87 wrote:

I don't think CLS is going to happen in this lifetime. But wow, I would be so thrilled with $ from UVa. It would be just the ticket to convince my husband to make the move. Otherwise, I'm probably going to Fordham.

We are number twins so you have a very good chance! Good luck to you!

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:42 pm

Apple Tree wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:
hannah87 wrote:

We are number twins so you have a very good chance! Good luck to you!

thanks, apple! congrats again!!

strokes788

Postby strokes788 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:28 pm

After 3 months of my status checker saying December 16th complete/pending review, having applied the 15th, they updated my date to today. Is that a sign of my impending waitlist/ding? Or does the date change mean nothing. Were those who have recently received waitlists/dings also updated to a new date right before they got the email?

HMG

Postby HMG » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:55 pm

Apple Tree wrote:
boo jersey shore wrote:

How were you notified?

Mail.

First of all, congrats!!! I was wondering if you had a change in your status checker this week/today that corresponded with your letter offer of admission/scholly? Did it change to decision rendered before you got the mail? If so, any idea how long before?

jgolimow

Postby jgolimow » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:00 pm

strokes788 wrote:After 3 months of my status checker saying December 16th complete/pending review, having applied the 15th, they updated my date to today. Is that a sign of my impending waitlist/ding? Or does the date change mean nothing. Were those who have recently received waitlists/dings also updated to a new date right before they got the email?

Mind updated in the morning ... WL email at 5.

strokes788

Postby strokes788 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:03 pm

jgolimow wrote:
strokes788 wrote:After 3 months of my status checker saying December 16th complete/pending review, having applied the 15th, they updated my date to today. Is that a sign of my impending waitlist/ding? Or does the date change mean nothing. Were those who have recently received waitlists/dings also updated to a new date right before they got the email?

Mind updated in the morning ... WL email at 5.

172/3.6+ here, which = definite yield protection WL/ding territory happening I'd guess like you at 5 since for some weird reason it seems like UVA loves to send it en masse right before the office closes (I guess to prevent getting calls/questions right after). Thanks for the info!

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:11 pm

Apple Tree wrote:
boo jersey shore wrote:

How were you notified?

Mail.

do you see any mailing on your status checker?

tacitus33

Postby tacitus33 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:31 pm

Waitlisted. I'm a total splitter - 175/3.2 - so is it safe to assume the GPA is the issue?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”