UVA 2010, RD Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
YCrevolution

Gold

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:50 am

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:26 am

CardinalRules wrote:
lt0826 wrote:Another WL today. Will be sending out an LOCI. I really liked UVa when I visited. But I suspect with all the EDs there will be little WL movement.
Local expert vanwinkle disagrees, or at least used to disagree.
I still disagree, based on conversations with adcomms. They are trying to intentionally underenroll this cycle and go to the WL in order to more effectively manage their class size and makeup. Last year was apparently a bit of an anomaly.

However, one of the things they'll be looking for from someone on the WL is a sign you really want to go there. Keep doing LOCIs and checking on your status if you want to attend. There will probably be a large WL and you do want to stand out as much as possible (in a good way, don't go stalking them or anything).
tommytahoe wrote:Also, it appears from a cursory read that UVA is somehow distinct from many other schools in the way it sometimes doesn't even have a list. That seems odd. Does that mean there may be only like 10 folks picked this year, form god knows how many waitlisters?
UVA always has a WL. Last year they only took like, less than five people off of it total due to overenrollment, which is considered an anomaly and something they've compensated for this year. As a result they're anticipating needing to go deeper into the WL than they did last year.

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:28 am

vanwinkle wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:
lt0826 wrote:Another WL today. Will be sending out an LOCI. I really liked UVa when I visited. But I suspect with all the EDs there will be little WL movement.
I still disagree, based on conversations with adcomms. They are trying to intentionally underenroll this cycle and go to the WL in order to more effectively manage their class size and makeup. Last year was apparently a bit of an anomaly.

However, one of the things they'll be looking for from someone on the WL is a sign you really want to go there. Keep doing LOCIs and checking on your status if you want to attend. There will probably be a large WL and you do want to stand out as much as possible (in a good way, don't go stalking them or anything).
tommytahoe wrote:Also, it appears from a cursory read that UVA is somehow distinct from many other schools in the way it sometimes doesn't even have a list. That seems odd. Does that mean there may be only like 10 folks picked this year, form god knows how many waitlisters?
UVA always has a WL. Last year they only took like, less than five people off of it total due to overenrollment, which is considered an anomaly and something they've compensated for this year. As a result they're anticipating needing to go deeper into the WL than they did last year.
hahahaha

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:43 am

vanwinkle wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:

I love VanWinkle's posts, but aren't they just increasing the WL size to just admit the same people they would have last year? Meaning they are dragging out the cycle for many students by putting them on a WL and then taking them off as opposed to just admitting the ones they want (like last year) and not using a much smaller WL? I think I would prefer they admit who they want, keep a small WL, and not use it if unneeded.

I also get that they have a very hard time at estimating yield.

I am not on their WL I should add.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:11 am

Kakarot wrote:I love VanWinkle's posts, but aren't they just increasing the WL size to just admit the same people they would have last year? Meaning they are dragging out the cycle for many students by putting them on a WL and then taking them off as opposed to just admitting the ones they want (like last year) and not using a much smaller WL? I think I would prefer they admit who they want, keep a small WL, and not use it if unneeded.

I also get that they have a very hard time at estimating yield.

I am not on their WL I should add.
The problems are that 1) they may need different pools to make up for unexpected things (unusually high withdrawal/decline rate from URMs, folks with WE, etc.) and 2) they do not know how many people will be willing to actually ride a WL into the summer. As a result they have little choice but to maintain a somewhat larger WL in order to ensure they have access to qualified students to fill any vacancies. This is especially obvious when watching how many people post on TLS that they got offered the WL and they're going to withdraw and go elsewhere; they don't know who will do that and who won't, and a larger WL is the only real way to compensate for that.

Last year was apparently crazy as they got a much higher matriculation rate than expected. My personal unverifiable theory is that with the economy caused people to choose higher-ranking schools over lower-ranked schools with $$$ at a higher rate than usual out of fear they might not get employment at the lower ranked school when they graduate. They've adjusted their model for this year to really make sure that doesn't happen again, which has the side effect of underenrolling enough that they'll probably need at least 10-20 folks off the WL at a minimum, if not a lot more.

My point in making these posts is generally that folks offered the WL should not give up if they want the WL. There's hope, especially for those who show they love UVA. The WL shrinks over the course of the summer as folks who got in elsewhere make plans elsewhere, giving someone who's really dedicated to going to UVA a greater chance. If you really want to go to UVA though, you should be letting them know that, so they call you first and don't have to go through a bunch of folks who are like "I got into Penn/Michigan/GU/Cooley and I'm going there instead" first to get to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

xcountryjunkie

Bronze

Post by xcountryjunkie » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:34 pm

Waitlisted last night with two sub-median numbers.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:39 pm

Withdrew from WL today. Good luck to those waiting!

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:55 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:

Hey, terrific insights, thanks. I'll use your advice to the other poster about being extremely interested. I am nothing if not solicitous!

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:06 pm

Do LOCIs post to your status checker? I sent one in via email last Tuesday and haven't heard a peep (not that I'm expecting one). I just want to make sure this is standard protocol.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:11 pm

sundevil77 wrote:Do LOCIs post to your status checker? I sent one in via email last Tuesday and haven't heard a peep (not that I'm expecting one). I just want to make sure this is standard protocol.
LOCIs do not post to the status checker. If you e-mailed it they should have replied.

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:45 pm

Just got the ding e-mail. That's one less status checker to mind.

someones alt

Bronze

Post by someones alt » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:53 pm

Just got the WL email. Withdrawal to follow shortly

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:05 pm

Waitlisted. Wish they would have just gotten that over with 3 months ago when they probably already knew they were going to...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

primusux

Bronze

Post by primusux » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:06 pm

Dinged today. Was a reach but still bummed. Good luck to everyone else.

strokes788

New

Post by strokes788 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:07 pm

Are these emails being sent right now, with the office being presumably closed or about to close? Or are these emails from earlier?

primusux

Bronze

Post by primusux » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:08 pm

Mine was just sent.

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:16 pm

primusux wrote:Mine was just sent.
Ditto...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:18 pm

GeePee wrote:Waitlisted. Wish they would have just gotten that over with 3 months ago when they probably already knew they were going to...
Gee Pee, didn't you write a Why Virginia? or send an LOCI? I sent an LOCI got waitlisted. I thought it would've made a difference.

Guaranteed take it to the bank that anyone without a decision will be put on the waitlist or denied. When people with numbers at or above both medians (or in some cases WAY above both medians) are all receiving WLs, the acceptance phase has officially ended. I don't want to come off as sounding entitled to a UVA acceptance, but I think this plainly shows that they have screwed up somewhere in the admission process. To think that I was actually kind of excited about the possibility of going there. Good riddance, UVA, friggin' bunch of ED whores. Guess I'm off to the Ding Bar thread...
Last edited by sundevil77 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:19 pm

I did write a Why UVA? with my acceptance, citing several specific programs. However, obviously they don't really care. They can continue to just accept splitters if they want. Whatever.

pleasepickme

Bronze

Post by pleasepickme » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:31 pm

WL today too. Numbers WAY above medians, but not that annoyed because I have lots of other good choices. Whatevs!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:39 pm

Given some things that were said to me recently I'm going to clarify earlier posts:

1) There is a chance UVA will not go to the WL this year. That doesn't appear likely, but it's still possible. They expect to go to the WL this year, but they also expected to have to go to the WL last year and due to higher than expected matriculation rate ended up not being able to more than a few times. So while I'm trying to be encouraging and convince you guys to not give up if UVA is your first choice, I don't want anyone to think I'm promising anything regarding the WL.

They may not go the WL, or they may only take a few, or they may take a lot. They won't know exactly how many students they need until after the first round of seat deposits are due. Until then everything is just projections, which can be wrong. However, there are strong possibilities there will be at least some WL spots offered, which is why I'm trying to encourage those who still really want to attend to stick with it.

2) The best thing you can do if you're on the WL is to make clear to UVA that they're your #1 choice and/or that you'd attend if accepted. They do very highly consider these things because they do have more folks on the WL than spots they can offer, and interest in the school is one thing that can really help distinguish you from the rest.

Show them you love the school, and they may show you some love in return, but be real about it. If you wouldn't immediately go there if accepted, then don't say you would. There's hope, but it's really only for the folks that really, really want to attend UVA. The rest probably actually should withdraw and go wherever else they're thinking they'd rather go.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:57 pm

WL'd!

Hey Virginia Law admits: I hear that Cambridge, Palo Alto, and Manhattan are nicer in the fall than Charlottesville. :wink:

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Waitlisted!

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:05 pm

tomhobbes wrote:Waitlisted!
LOL, you hadn't withdrawn? Tsk tsk.

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:06 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:Waitlisted!
LOL, you hadn't withdrawn? Tsk tsk.
I forgot, then when I finally remembered I was lazy and I was like "they'll probably waitlist me anyway, no harm done."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”