UVA 2010, RD

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thickfreakness

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:37 pm

CG614 wrote:Anyone else notice how this UVA RD thread has turned into a UVA ED thread? Anyone get any decisions via RD lately?

+1 and no RD decion here over GPA at 75th LSAT.

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:00 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
CG614 wrote:Anyone else notice how this UVA RD thread has turned into a UVA ED thread? Anyone get any decisions via RD lately?

Didn't realize that they were giving out RD decisions this cycle.

HMG

Postby HMG » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:01 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
HMG wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:
HMG wrote:Sending a LOCI out today, been in status checker pergatory for months. I've heard differing opinions on weather or not to say:

While I am certain that the University of Virginia School of Law is where I most want to be, I am not as certain about my financial situation, and I was not yet prepared, on Monday, to turn down the scholarship offer that I received from the University of Michigan Law School. Please understand that I would consider an offer of admission to UVA Law very seriously, with or without a scholarship, although a scholarship would make my decision an easy one.

and include my scholarship offer from Michigan, or to leave this out. Thoughts?

I'd leave it out. Get the acceptance and then worry about the rest.

so you would not mention it at all, or mention it and not attach the offer? The reason I put this in was explaining why I agonized over faxing the ED agreement but ultimately decided not to.

Don't mention it at all. If you're writing a LOCI don't make excuses for why you didn't ED, just emphasize that you're interested in UVA and hope you'll have the option to attend. Talking money seems a little bit presumptuous and doesn't really convey why you want to attend UVA.

Sweet, thanks- I agree.

thickfreakness wrote:

+1

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:21 pm

What do guys and gals think about this...I'm writing a letter that resembles a LOCI. Like most of you, I'm RD but have been in under review purgatory for quite some time. The reason I'm writing is because I want to visit UVA on a trip I'm planning back East. The trip is coming up in a couple of weeks. However, I don't really want to make plans to visit if I ultimately get rejected. What do you think about letting them know that (1) I really want to visit the campus and (2) that I can only visit if I'm accepted?

Obviously I'm not going to issue an ultimatum or anything like that (I'm the one with zero leverage in the situation). I plan on adding a bit of Why UVA? into the letter and offer to submit additional info that would make their decision easier.

Thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea?

HMG

Postby HMG » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:46 pm

sundevil77 wrote:What do guys and gals think about this...I'm writing a letter that resembles a LOCI. Like most of you, I'm RD but have been in under review purgatory for quite some time. The reason I'm writing is because I want to visit UVA on a trip I'm planning back East. The trip is coming up in a couple of weeks. However, I don't really want to make plans to visit if I ultimately get rejected. What do you think about letting them know that (1) I really want to visit the campus and (2) that I can only visit if I'm accepted?

Obviously I'm not going to issue an ultimatum or anything like that (I'm the one with zero leverage in the situation). I plan on adding a bit of Why UVA? into the letter and offer to submit additional info that would make their decision easier.

I would definitely tell them Why UVA, make that the focus. Also, mentioning that you want to visit but you are not close sounds like a great idea to me- it really shows them how serious you are about the school. Im not sure about how/if you should phrase the "i want to visit but only if im getting accepted" aspect though.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:52 pm

HMG wrote:
sundevil77 wrote:What do guys and gals think about this...I'm writing a letter that resembles a LOCI. Like most of you, I'm RD but have been in under review purgatory for quite some time. The reason I'm writing is because I want to visit UVA on a trip I'm planning back East. The trip is coming up in a couple of weeks. However, I don't really want to make plans to visit if I ultimately get rejected. What do you think about letting them know that (1) I really want to visit the campus and (2) that I can only visit if I'm accepted?

I would definitely tell them Why UVA, make that the focus. Also, mentioning that you want to visit but you are not close sounds like a great idea to me- it really shows them how serious you are about the school. Im not sure about how/if you should phrase the "i want to visit but only if im getting accepted" aspect though.

Thanks for the advice. I really, really don't want to come off as pushy. I'm going to tread lightly, and make the focus Why UVA, but I think I'm going to need to somehow delicately phrase the whole "I really need to know if I'm gonna visit."

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:33 pm

sundevil77 wrote:
HMG wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I really, really don't want to come off as pushy. I'm going to tread lightly, and make the focus Why UVA, but I think I'm going to need to somehow delicately phrase the whole "I really need to know if I'm gonna visit."

How about "I live a long distance away from Charlottesville, but if accepted I will drop everything in order to visit the campus and experience the awesomesness of the school firsthand"...or something like that. Generally, I think it's better to get the short "if" out of the way and afterwards elaborate on the enthusiastic "then".

whatchootalkinbout

Postby whatchootalkinbout » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:09 pm

For those who sent a LOCI, did you receive a confirmation e-mail in return? If so, how long did it take?

gatorjax

Postby gatorjax » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:20 am

I did not, but your question makes me wonder if any else did/I should have

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:26 pm

whatchootalkinbout wrote:For those who sent a LOCI, did you receive a confirmation e-mail in return? If so, how long did it take?

I sent in a sort of LOCI (see posts above) on late Wendesday afternoon. I haven't received any sort of confirmation email. I had thought about calling the admissions office to ask if I should send a hard copy of the letter as well. But, considering their efforts to be a "paperless" admissions office I would think an email should be enough. Anyone want to call and find out? :)

examplepdf

Postby examplepdf » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:05 pm

waitlisted by email just now. my GPA's not stellar, but YP? I've been in at Columbia and NYU for over a month...

edit: did not write a Why UVA.

jgolimow

Postby jgolimow » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:27 pm

examplepdf wrote:waitlisted by email just now. my GPA's not stellar, but YP? I've been in at Columbia and NYU for over a month...

edit: did not write a Why UVA.

When did you go complete/under review?

holborn

Postby holborn » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:30 pm

Also just waitlisted via email. I'm not going to call YP but I am a little surprised.

brandontrout

Postby brandontrout » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:32 pm

Just got the WL email too. Probably going to withdraw because I have money elsewhere. Good luck to everyone else!

changeitup

Postby changeitup » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:43 pm

brandontrout wrote:Just got the WL email too. Probably going to withdraw because I have money elsewhere. Good luck to everyone else!

+1

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:43 pm

I've been complete since 12/9. This is the only school I'm waiting to hear from. Is this a generally normal wait time?

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:46 pm

changeitup wrote:
brandontrout wrote:Just got the WL email too. Probably going to withdraw because I have money elsewhere. Good luck to everyone else!

+1

Crap. I don't even want to look at my email because I feel a WL coming.

holborn

Postby holborn » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:48 pm

sundevil77 wrote:
changeitup wrote:

+1

Crap. I don't even want to look at my email because I feel a WL coming.

eh, if your gpa in your profile is accurate, you might be ok. from what ive heard recently on tls, ive made a completely random and uneducated guess that they are taking a lot of high gpa ppl right now.

unless all these waitlists are b/c the class is already pretty full. then were all screwed.

brandontrout

Postby brandontrout » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:56 pm

julesm2200 wrote:
unless all these waitlists are b/c the class is already pretty full. then were all screwed.

My gpa isn't great, so I'll definitely tell you it's all about gpa right now ;)

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:00 pm

I just looked and I have been under review for four months without a status update... UVA was one of the first schools I applied to.

I have exchanged some e-mails with Cordel Faulk in the past, and he is wonderful. However, it has been four months. I'll send them another e-mail on Monday, which is two weeks before my trip to all my LS's and hopefully they will let me know something.... I do like UVA...

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:01 pm

Kim617 wrote:I've been complete since 12/9. This is the only school I'm waiting to hear from. Is this a generally normal wait time?

I've been complete since 11/12

existenz

Postby existenz » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:04 pm

WL email. Applied 1/1. Out of state.

adrib

Postby adrib » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:05 pm

rejection email. no WL for me! lol.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:07 pm

I should add; Sorry to everyone being WL or Rejected!.!.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:09 pm

Today appears to be one of the days of reckoning.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”