UVA 2010, RD

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
GeePee

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby GeePee » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:53 pm

IAFG wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
chutzpah wrote:My thoughts: If UVA = happy and anywhere else = unhappy, then ED. If UVA = happy and Duke/Michigan = not as happy, but still satisfied, then don't ED. If you don't mind being in AA, I think the deal at Michigan is pretty sweet. How do the different schools stack up in terms of enviro law?

Because the middle of Virginia is ohsomuch better than the middle of Michigan?

yes.

Aww that's cute; UVA loves you so you love them back.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:56 pm

im_blue wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
chutzpah wrote:My thoughts: If UVA = happy and anywhere else = unhappy, then ED. If UVA = happy and Duke/Michigan = not as happy, but still satisfied, then don't ED. If you don't mind being in AA, I think the deal at Michigan is pretty sweet. How do the different schools stack up in terms of enviro law?

Yes. Citation: http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/b ... 3&clocid2=

But...you're still in Virginia.

HMG

Postby HMG » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:58 pm

im_blue wrote:
HMG wrote:
im_blue wrote:Yeah, just think of it as you're holding a UVA acceptance in hand with no money, and compare that to Michigan/Duke with $45k. If your choice is UVA, then fax in that ED form today!

God I just don't know! Obviously the best advice is do what will make me happy.. but I really dont know- that 45K could allow me to avoid working in big corporate law after law school, and let me do environmental work- which is what I want to do with my life. seems like that would make me more happy in the long run rather than being happy for 3 years in law school... or no? God sorry I'm so indecisive everyone!! crap... should I just get my ED ready???

What do you prefer about UVA that's worth $45k?

Well, I know everyone will think this is silly but... here goes: I'm from DC, my boyfriend lives here - he has a job in the city and UVA is only 2.5 hours away. Duke is 4-5 hours... not too bad but still quite a drive and we have already done long distance when he was still in school at... get this... MICHIGAN!! So last summer i convinced him to give up a job offer in Michigan to come back home, only to find out 6 months later that I got in to MI with a scholly. So needless to say, he's sore about MI. So naturally Duke seemed to be a front runner unless I heard good news from UVA. But the more I hear about UVA and talk to people who are currently there, the more I like it. Basically I'm just totally lost and unfortunately I haven't visited the schools yet so I don't really know which I would like best.

HMG

Postby HMG » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:01 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
im_blue wrote:
HMG wrote:God I just don't know! Obviously the best advice is do what will make me happy.. but I really dont know- that 45K could allow me to avoid working in big corporate law after law school, and let me do environmental work- which is what I want to do with my life. seems like that would make me more happy in the long run rather than being happy for 3 years in law school... or no? God sorry I'm so indecisive everyone!! crap... should I just get my ED ready???

This is a good question.

I just spent the whole weekend going through what you're going through now. Of course, your situation is very different from mine, and though I have no advice to offer you, I empathize with how difficult a decision it is.

FWIW, I got the call today and I'm glad I did it. :D

I take it you did the ED and got in today?? Congrats!!! Thats awesome! God... what to do what to do!

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:02 pm

GeePee wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

yes.

Aww that's cute; UVA loves you so you love them back.

i am probably not going to UVA. i was referring to weather and proximity to DC. as awesome as it is that A2 is 45 minutes from detroit...
Last edited by IAFG on Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:04 pm

HMG wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:This is a good question.

I just spent the whole weekend going through what you're going through now. Of course, your situation is very different from mine, and though I have no advice to offer you, I empathize with how difficult a decision it is.

FWIW, I got the call today and I'm glad I did it. :D

I take it you did the ED and got in today?? Congrats!!! Thats awesome! God... what to do what to do!

Yes and yes. I'm really excited! Take comfort in knowing that you'll be fine whatever you decide to do.

existenz

Postby existenz » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:05 pm

HMG wrote:Well, I know everyone will think this is silly but... here goes: I'm from DC, my boyfriend lives here - he has a job in the city and UVA is only 2.5 hours away. Duke is 4-5 hours... not too bad but still quite a drive and we have already done long distance when he was still in school at... get this... MICHIGAN!! So last summer i convinced him to give up a job offer in Michigan to come back home, only to find out 6 months later that I got in to MI with a scholly. So needless to say, he's sore about MI. So naturally Duke seemed to be a front runner unless I heard good news from UVA. But the more I hear about UVA and talk to people who are currently there, the more I like it. Basically I'm just totally lost and unfortunately I haven't visited the schools yet so I don't really know which I would like best.

Sounds like UVA is much more convenient. If you and your bf are that serious, you should talk with him about this and not us. Would you be really upset if UVA accepted you with no scholly $$$? Or would it be a bigger pain to relocate to Michigan/NC?

You probably do not want to do a long distance relationship for another three years. Talk to your boyfriend.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:06 pm

HMG wrote:
im_blue wrote:
HMG wrote:
im_blue wrote:Yeah, just think of it as you're holding a UVA acceptance in hand with no money, and compare that to Michigan/Duke with $45k. If your choice is UVA, then fax in that ED form today!

God I just don't know! Obviously the best advice is do what will make me happy.. but I really dont know- that 45K could allow me to avoid working in big corporate law after law school, and let me do environmental work- which is what I want to do with my life. seems like that would make me more happy in the long run rather than being happy for 3 years in law school... or no? God sorry I'm so indecisive everyone!! crap... should I just get my ED ready???

Well, I know everyone will think this is silly but... here goes: I'm from DC, my boyfriend lives here - he has a job in the city and UVA is only 2.5 hours away. Duke is 4-5 hours... not too bad but still quite a drive and we have already done long distance when he was still in school at... get this... MICHIGAN!! So last summer i convinced him to give up a job offer in Michigan to come back home, only to find out 6 months later that I got in to MI with a scholly. So needless to say, he's sore about MI. So naturally Duke seemed to be a front runner unless I heard good news from UVA. But the more I hear about UVA and talk to people who are currently there, the more I like it. Basically I'm just totally lost and unfortunately I haven't visited the schools yet so I don't really know which I would like best.

$15k a year buys a lot of DTW-DCA plane tickets, and UVA is still 2.5 hours away from DC. On the other hand, if you're planning to work in DC, that's also an additional plus in favor of UVA over Michigan/Duke. But yeah, talk to your bf and make a decision in the next 45 minutes or so.

getmetolawschool

Postby getmetolawschool » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:25 pm

so i'm WL rd and just wondering, has anyone decided to fax in a form at the last minute?! having a panic attack if i should take this risk and if it even makes sense (and of course there is like 30 min to make up my mind at this point).....

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:27 pm

getmetolawschool wrote:so i'm WL rd and just wondering, has anyone decided to fax in a form at the last minute?! having a panic attack if i should take this risk and if it even makes sense (and of course there is like 30 min to make up my mind at this point).....

Someone on this thread faxed in their ED form this morning and got in a couple hours later.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:33 pm

im_blue wrote:
getmetolawschool wrote:so i'm WL rd and just wondering, has anyone decided to fax in a form at the last minute?! having a panic attack if i should take this risk and if it even makes sense (and of course there is like 30 min to make up my mind at this point).....

Someone on this thread faxed in their ED form this morning and got in a couple hours later.

Probably should have just done this as opposed to overnighting it USPS. But it added to the effect, I like to think.

getmetolawschool

Postby getmetolawschool » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:36 pm

I do NOT have uva numbers so I guess my main worry is that I'm giving up my .2% chance of getting in off the waitlist for what will likely be a flat-out rejection ....

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:36 pm

im_blue wrote:

Has anyone done this successfully yet, where they were waitlisted and then turned it into ED? I feel like you wouldn't be able to do that, and could only ED before an initial decision was made on your file.

portena

Postby portena » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:37 pm

So apparently in my excitement I more or less misunderstood Dean Faulk...I thought he told me I'd be getting a minimum of 30k, pending any need-based scholarships, but it was actually 30k per year! Just got the letter in the mail. This pretty much makes my decision for me. Wowww

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:38 pm

portena wrote:So apparently in my excitement I more or less misunderstood Dean Faulk...I thought he told me I'd be getting a minimum of 30k, pending any need-based scholarships, but it was actually 30k per year! Just got the letter in the mail. This pretty much makes my decision for me. Wowww

Congratulations, that's awesome! If there's one thing better than attending UVA, it's attending UVA for cheap. :D

existenz

Postby existenz » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:43 pm

portena wrote:So apparently in my excitement I more or less misunderstood Dean Faulk...I thought he told me I'd be getting a minimum of 30k, pending any need-based scholarships, but it was actually 30k per year! Just got the letter in the mail. This pretty much makes my decision for me. Wowww

Awesome!

portena

Postby portena » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:43 pm

Thanks guys. I love UVA, so this is huge for me!

HMG

Postby HMG » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:15 pm

portena wrote:Thanks guys. I love UVA, so this is huge for me!

Congrats!!! Mind sharing your stats?

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:16 pm

When does UVA begin to pull from their waitlist?

portena

Postby portena » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:17 pm

HMG wrote:

Last edited by portena on Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HMG

Postby HMG » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:33 pm

portena wrote:
HMG wrote:

Thanks! 171, 3.98

Did you do ED or were you RD? Sort of wishing I had done ED now... uugh

TheSharklord

Postby TheSharklord » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:35 pm

Congrats! I'll see ya in the fall! I'm another scholly beneficiary (thrilled!) and there are very very few things which could change my decision now...esp since I'm already looking at apartments...

Are you going to the ASW on the 19th?

PS: And yeah 30k vs 30k/yr is huge! You got to be surprised twice!

portena

Postby portena » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:47 pm

HMG, I was RD. Good luck!

TheSharklord, thanks! I am going the 19th. I haven't even thought about apartments, and it stresses me out. But it's good stress :)

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:48 pm

Ah Charlottesville housing. When I was an undergrad a few years ago I lived in an apartment on The Corner for $375 a month and thought that was expensive.

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:13 pm

I got in RD today...so happy that I didn't end up on the WL purgatory :D It's going to make my upcoming campus visit so much more enjoyable.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”