UVA 2010, RD

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
turkishangora

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby turkishangora » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:02 pm

welkyn wrote:UR since 2/2-> 2/8->2/16...

it is march now, so I guess I can give up my hope now....

UR 1/8 --> UR 1/18

waiting for my ding. my theory is that once the ED deadline passes they'll go and send out the rest of the WL and Dings.

welkyn

Postby welkyn » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:10 pm

really? can I send the ED form today??? I am thinking of it... but I am not completely convinced by the theory... and I am definitely not YP....
turkishangora wrote:
welkyn wrote:UR since 2/2-> 2/8->2/16...

it is march now, so I guess I can give up my hope now....

UR 1/8 --> UR 1/18

waiting for my ding. my theory is that once the ED deadline passes they'll go and send out the rest of the WL and Dings.

HMG

Postby HMG » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:34 pm

Hello everyone!
I've been reading this forum for the past hour... feeling very conflicted. I'm in at Georgetown, Michigan with $45,000 and Duke with $45,000 but I still think UVA is my top choice. I haven't heard a peep from them since my last status checker update which was just a push of my UR to 1/26. I'm thinking about submitting a LOCI and an additional letter of reference from a UVA Law school graduate. Is that a good idea? I don't want my application to be pushed to the bottom of the pile though because I add something to it! Also, I don't think I should do ED because I don't want to nix any chances of getting a scholly at UVA. Any thoughts??? My stats are 171/3.55 Help hellp!

becauseimaddicted

Postby becauseimaddicted » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:36 pm

HMG-- why do you think applying ED effect your chances at a scholarship? I don't have anything helpful but just wanted to say I'm in the same boat (thinking about ED and need to decide by today).

I have 170, 3.63 and I applied at the very last minute. I'm not sure UVA is my top choice, but I find it hard to believe i'd turn it down unless I got a full ride elsewhere.

To ed or not to ed? To ed or not to ed?

HMG

Postby HMG » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:42 pm

becauseimaddicted wrote:HMG-- why do you think applying ED effect your chances at a scholarship? I don't have anything helpful but just wanted to say I'm in the same boat (thinking about ED and need to decide by today).

I have 170, 3.63 and I applied at the very last minute. I'm not sure UVA is my top choice, but I find it hard to believe i'd turn it down unless I got a full ride elsewhere.

To ed or not to ed? To ed or not to ed?

I just think that applying ED means that they know you are going there if they accept you, therefore they don't need to offer you money in order to entice you into coming to their school. Also, scholarships from other schools would be moot as bargaining chips because there is no way you could use them if you do ED at UVA.

becauseimaddicted

Postby becauseimaddicted » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:21 pm

What do you think you'll do?

I don't feel like I have a shot at UVA unless I apply ED, but I don't know that I want to go there over substantial scholarships elsewhere. Plus, I kind of like GULC better than UVA for no good reason other than I've never lived in a small town and I think I'd hate it.

HMG

Postby HMG » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:30 pm

becauseimaddicted wrote:What do you think you'll do?

I don't feel like I have a shot at UVA unless I apply ED, but I don't know that I want to go there over substantial scholarships elsewhere. Plus, I kind of like GULC better than UVA for no good reason other than I've never lived in a small town and I think I'd hate it.

Hmm... If you really are not sure that it's your top choice and you have scholly offers from other top schools, I wouldn't do ED. Your stats are right in there, I would def say you have a good shot, especially if you have a good PS and references. I'm going to pass on ED as well. I may submit a LOCI and possibly another reference from a UVA Law grad, but other than that- just hope that they decide to let me in. Congrats on GULC- its one of my top contenders right now as well, just haven't gotten any $$ from them yet. Is GULC your current #1 then?

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:42 pm

I grew up in NYC, went to UVA for undergrad, and live in DC now and will say with a straight face that Charlottesville is absolutely wonderful. Magical even. And this isn't just undergrad nostalgia speaking. Its a great town to live as a grad student too -- great food and culture, low cost of living, tons of smart people, sigh...

PopCopyManager

Postby PopCopyManager » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Any recent financial aid news? I REALLY want to go to UVA but it needs to make sense money wise!

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:57 pm

HMG wrote:Hello everyone!
I've been reading this forum for the past hour... feeling very conflicted. I'm in at Georgetown, Michigan with $45,000 and Duke with $45,000 but I still think UVA is my top choice. I haven't heard a peep from them since my last status checker update which was just a push of my UR to 1/26. I'm thinking about submitting a LOCI and an additional letter of reference from a UVA Law school graduate. Is that a good idea? I don't want my application to be pushed to the bottom of the pile though because I add something to it! Also, I don't think I should do ED because I don't want to nix any chances of getting a scholly at UVA. Any thoughts??? My stats are 171/3.55 Help hellp!

http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... ,8&type=jd

To be honest, it doesn't look like have you good chances of money at UVA, if you get in. I would definitely send in the LOCI and additional letter of references. If UVA is your top choice, irrespective of $$, ED there. I can't say I would advise that, though, with your $$ offers from Michigan and Duke. If you don't get $$ from UVA, if you get in, which is looks like is kind of unlikely, I say go to Michigan, or Duke if you really want to be in the south.

memaha

Postby memaha » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:01 pm

chutzpah wrote:

I grew up in NYC, went to UVA for undergrad, and live in DC now and will say with a straight face that Charlottesville is absolutely wonderful. Magical even. And this isn't just undergrad nostalgia speaking. Its a great town to live as a grad student too -- great food and culture, low cost of living, tons of smart people, sigh...

I switched to ED on Friday and got in a couple of hours later. I was also concerned that I wouldn't like Charlottesville (I grew up about 15 mins outside DC and am in the city everyday, and went to NYU for undergrad). But now that I'm in and committed, I cannot be more excited about going to UVA, and everyone has had ONLY positive feedback about the school and Charlottesville. I switched to ED cuz Gtown had special grouped me on the WL and I figured why not try everything I could to get into my last T14. (I thought my GPA would result in an auto-reject from UVA anyways)

HMG

Postby HMG » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:06 pm

5ky wrote:

To be honest, it doesn't look like have you good chances of money at UVA, if you get in. I would definitely send in the LOCI and additional letter of references. If UVA is your top choice, irrespective of $$, ED there. I can't say I would advise that, though, with your $$ offers from Michigan and Duke. If you don't get $$ from UVA, if you get in, which is looks like is kind of unlikely, I say go to Michigan, or Duke if you really want to be in the south.

oooy... depressing!! Guess you're right- scholly not likely. I still don't know if i want to do ED though, I would feel pretty stupid passing up a free year at Duke/Michigan, even though I love love love UVA. yikes, only a few more hours to decide!!!

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:10 pm

HMG wrote:
5ky wrote:

oooy... depressing!! Guess you're right- scholly not likely. I still don't know if i want to do ED though, I would feel pretty stupid passing up a free year at Duke/Michigan, even though I love love love UVA. yikes, only a few more hours to decide!!!

Do what makes you happy. If going to UVA would make you the happiest ED there. If you happiness is worth 15K a year from Duke or Michigan don't, because there is a 99% you aren't going to get accepted to UVA unless you ED.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:24 pm

HMG wrote:
5ky wrote:

Yeah, just think of it as you're holding a UVA acceptance in hand with no money, and compare that to Michigan/Duke with $45k. If your choice is UVA, then fax in that ED form today!

welkyn

Postby welkyn » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:25 pm

just faxed the ED form....

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:27 pm

welkyn wrote:just faxed the ED form....

Good luck! You'll probably hear back by the end of the day...

welkyn

Postby welkyn » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:28 pm

thanks, it may not be good news, but at least I tried...

im_blue wrote:
welkyn wrote:just faxed the ED form....

Good luck! You'll probably hear back by the end of the day...

HMG

Postby HMG » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:32 pm

im_blue wrote:
HMG wrote:
5ky wrote:

Yeah, just think of it as you're holding a UVA acceptance in hand with no money, and compare that to Michigan/Duke with $45k. If your choice is UVA, then fax in that ED form today!

God I just don't know! Obviously the best advice is do what will make me happy.. but I really dont know- that 45K could allow me to avoid working in big corporate law after law school, and let me do environmental work- which is what I want to do with my life. seems like that would make me more happy in the long run rather than being happy for 3 years in law school... or no? God sorry I'm so indecisive everyone!! crap... should I just get my ED ready???

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:45 pm

My thoughts: If UVA = happy and anywhere else = unhappy, then ED. If UVA = happy and Duke/Michigan = not as happy, but still satisfied, then don't ED. If you don't mind being in AA, I think the deal at Michigan is pretty sweet. How do the different schools stack up in terms of enviro law?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:47 pm

chutzpah wrote:My thoughts: If UVA = happy and anywhere else = unhappy, then ED. If UVA = happy and Duke/Michigan = not as happy, but still satisfied, then don't ED. If you don't mind being in AA, I think the deal at Michigan is pretty sweet. How do the different schools stack up in terms of enviro law?

Because the middle of Virginia is ohsomuch better than the middle of Michigan?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:49 pm

HMG wrote:
im_blue wrote:Yeah, just think of it as you're holding a UVA acceptance in hand with no money, and compare that to Michigan/Duke with $45k. If your choice is UVA, then fax in that ED form today!

God I just don't know! Obviously the best advice is do what will make me happy.. but I really dont know- that 45K could allow me to avoid working in big corporate law after law school, and let me do environmental work- which is what I want to do with my life. seems like that would make me more happy in the long run rather than being happy for 3 years in law school... or no? God sorry I'm so indecisive everyone!! crap... should I just get my ED ready???

What do you prefer about UVA that's worth $45k?
Last edited by im_blue on Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:49 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
chutzpah wrote:My thoughts: If UVA = happy and anywhere else = unhappy, then ED. If UVA = happy and Duke/Michigan = not as happy, but still satisfied, then don't ED. If you don't mind being in AA, I think the deal at Michigan is pretty sweet. How do the different schools stack up in terms of enviro law?

yes.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:50 pm

im_blue wrote:
HMG wrote:God I just don't know! Obviously the best advice is do what will make me happy.. but I really dont know- that 45K could allow me to avoid working in big corporate law after law school, and let me do environmental work- which is what I want to do with my life. seems like that would make me more happy in the long run rather than being happy for 3 years in law school... or no? God sorry I'm so indecisive everyone!! crap... should I just get my ED ready???

What do you prefer about UVA that's worth $45k?

This is a good question.

I just spent the whole weekend going through what you're going through now. Of course, your situation is very different from mine, and though I have no advice to offer you, I empathize with how difficult a decision it is.

FWIW, I got the call today and I'm glad I did it. :D

booboo

Postby booboo » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:50 pm

IAFG wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

yes.

Credited.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:51 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:

Yes. Citation: http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/b ... 3&clocid2=

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”