UVA 2010, RD

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
vanwinkle

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:00 pm

welkyn wrote:I had an update on 2/8 and then on 2/16, then nothing happened....
is this a bad sign?

No, there's no (known) rhyme or reason to the date changes. It doesn't tell you anything about what's going to happen to your app.

Lurkster

Postby Lurkster » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:26 pm

Dinged. 3.1/176.

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 pm

Ding. No surprise there, but the first of what will probably be many.

LSHPFL10

Postby LSHPFL10 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:38 pm

I realize that UVA's ED system may confer some advantage to those who decide to use it, but what if you've already been waitlisted after submitting an ED application? This may seem like a silly question, but would that option be completely exhausted since it's already been used?

Thanks in advance.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:51 pm

LSHPFL10 wrote:I realize that UVA's ED system may confer some advantage to those who decide to use it, but what if you've already been waitlisted after submitting an ED application? This may seem like a silly question, but would that option be completely exhausted since it's already been used?

Thanks in advance.

I would imagine so, yes.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:17 pm

I've been at pending review/decision for over a month and complete for over 3. I know there is practically zero movement right now, but seriously, this is ridiculous! I was really pumped about UVA when I applied, but it's hard to stay excited or interested when I don't know anything. Is there any day of the week that acceptances usually go out?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:28 pm

WL. No surprises there, splitter with no Why Virginia or ED contract. Mildly surprised I wasn't rejected given the fact that I never got around to writing a Why Virginia, but maybe it's just a combo of the LSAT and the slight diversity boost for being an engineer. Probably LOCI in around a 2/3 weeks, I suppose.

Edited for derp

Lurkster

Postby Lurkster » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:12 pm

stratocophic wrote:WL. No surprises there, splitter with no Why Virginia or ED contract. Mildly surprised I wasn't rejected given the fact that I never got around to writing a Why Virginia, but maybe it's just a combo of the LSAT and the slight diversity boost for being an engineer. Probably LOCI in around a 2/3 weeks, I suppose. Are those usually sent via physical letter or email?

Our stats are almost identical, I wrote a "why uva", and I got flat out dinged. It's definitely hurting more now.

WhatUpKells

Postby WhatUpKells » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:15 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:I'm pretty sure I've decided not to go the ED route prior to next week's deadline.

Even if the rest of my cycle follows the relatively disappointing trend I'm on, I'll be sitting on waitlists at Chicago, Virginia, Duke, Georgetown, (maybe) Penn, (maybe) Michigan, (maybe) Cornell, and (maybe) Northwestern. That's assuming neither Michigan, Penn, nor NU accept me outright and it's also assuming I don't get a miracle acceptance to Columbia. It's also not assuming anything about UCLA.

I just got into USC, so I don't feel quite as "ahhhhh I'm going to get rejected EVERYWHERE" as I used to. If USC and UCLA end up as my only safety net as I bank on getting in from at least one of eight waitlists, I think that's a risk I can live with. UVA's unique ED system definitely offers an intriguing opportunity to possibly secure a spot right now, but I know it's not my stand-alone top choice among the eight, so going ED would be purely strategic and short-sighted.

You got WL'd already, though, right? So you can't ED? I only ask cuz I got ED'd also...

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:32 pm

WhatUpKells wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:I'm pretty sure I've decided not to go the ED route prior to next week's deadline.

Even if the rest of my cycle follows the relatively disappointing trend I'm on, I'll be sitting on waitlists at Chicago, Virginia, Duke, Georgetown, (maybe) Penn, (maybe) Michigan, (maybe) Cornell, and (maybe) Northwestern. That's assuming neither Michigan, Penn, nor NU accept me outright and it's also assuming I don't get a miracle acceptance to Columbia. It's also not assuming anything about UCLA.

I just got into USC, so I don't feel quite as "ahhhhh I'm going to get rejected EVERYWHERE" as I used to. If USC and UCLA end up as my only safety net as I bank on getting in from at least one of eight waitlists, I think that's a risk I can live with. UVA's unique ED system definitely offers an intriguing opportunity to possibly secure a spot right now, but I know it's not my stand-alone top choice among the eight, so going ED would be purely strategic and short-sighted.

You got WL'd already, though, right? So you can't ED? I only ask cuz I got ED'd also...

Pretty sure ED is fine off the WL. I'd do it myself if I was T14 or bust but since I'm not I'm disadvantaging myself for UVA. Oh well. Still have Duke, Michigan, Georgetown and Columbia (LULZ) to hear from.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:36 pm

Lurkster wrote:
stratocophic wrote:WL. No surprises there, splitter with no Why Virginia or ED contract. Mildly surprised I wasn't rejected given the fact that I never got around to writing a Why Virginia, but maybe it's just a combo of the LSAT and the slight diversity boost for being an engineer. Probably LOCI in around a 2/3 weeks, I suppose. Are those usually sent via physical letter or email?

Our stats are almost identical, I wrote a "why uva", and I got flat out dinged. It's definitely hurting more now.

Ouch. That sucks, man. TBF, you're at the point where almost everyone on the WL will be in a few months anyway. They'll probably take some people, but not a ton. Odds are stacked against the WLed.

portena

Postby portena » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:40 pm

In with a Dean's Scholarship, amount TBD. So, so thrilled. Stats on LSN, complete 12/16. Good luck to all of you still waiting!

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:49 pm

portena wrote:In with a Dean's Scholarship, amount TBD. So, so thrilled. Stats on LSN, complete 12/16. Good luck to all of you still waiting!

Congrats

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:58 pm

portena wrote:In with a Dean's Scholarship, amount TBD. So, so thrilled. Stats on LSN, complete 12/16. Good luck to all of you still waiting!

Congrats! Good to hear there's still movement out there!

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:01 pm

Congrats! What do you mean, amount TBD? Did they tell you that on the phone? That is...weird.

louboutin

Postby louboutin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:06 pm

ahhh UVA the longer you keep me waiting, the more I REALLY want to go (been UR since Nov.)

Sent in a pre-decision LOCI. hope it helps, but it seems that people with my stats haven't been faring well. (172, 3.8.)

autarkh

Postby autarkh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:43 pm

WL via e-mail. Not terribly surprised, but a bit disappointed nonetheless.

portena

Postby portena » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:50 pm

5ky wrote:

Congrats! What do you mean, amount TBD? Did they tell you that on the phone? That is...weird.

Yeah, I was told that I'd get a Dean's Scholarship and the minimum amount, but that I needed to get my FAFSA in first. I was a little perplexed too, but I'll take it!

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:37 pm

portena wrote:
5ky wrote:

Yeah, I was told that I'd get a Dean's Scholarship and the minimum amount, but that I needed to get my FAFSA in first. I was a little perplexed too, but I'll take it!

Please don't hold me to this because I'm not certain, but I think Dean's Scholarship is always a half to full tuition scholarship. So the minimum should still be pretty substantial.

I do know they're trying to finish up with processing applications and making acceptances here soon, but it's taking a long time because of how many apps they got. They are still anticipating going to the WL this year. Folks who are still waiting or who have been WL'd should not give up hope yet, unless they've given up on attending entirely.

portena

Postby portena » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:35 pm

My earlier post wasn't very clear; I was told a dean's scholarship of at least a certain amount, not that I would necessarily be receiving the smallest Dean's Scholarship. I have no idea how much I'll end up getting, but I'm thrilled regardless.

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:23 am

Another mid-October submission here. I wrote my Why Virginia? in the original app, I wrote my LOCI, and now I can't do anything but stew. The prospect of being another YP casualty does not make me happy.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:07 am

soullesswonder wrote:Another mid-October submission here. I wrote my Why Virginia? in the original app, I wrote my LOCI, and now I can't do anything but stew. The prospect of being another YP casualty does not make me happy.

You're in at Harvard but stewing over UVA? :?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:31 am

soullesswonder wrote:Another mid-October submission here. I wrote my Why Virginia? in the original app, I wrote my LOCI, and now I can't do anything but stew. The prospect of being another YP casualty does not make me happy.

Careful before you get tagged as I did in my former life. YP isn't fun, but you need to think about the big picture here.

Wait, you got into HLS and are writing a LOCI to Virginia??? Do you really love the place that badly? Wow. :shock:

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:59 am

CardinalRules wrote:

Careful before you get tagged as I did in my former life. YP isn't fun, but you need to think about the big picture here.

Wait, you got into HLS and are writing a LOCI to Virginia??? Do you really love the place that badly? Wow. :shock:

Yeah, I wouldn't take UVA over HLS straight up, but UVA with 75 or 90k could easily send me to C-ville. I laid out some of my thinking in this thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106113

LDC

Postby LDC » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:25 am

Edit: question answered. Thanks! :)
Last edited by LDC on Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”