UVA 2010, RD

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Dignan

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Dignan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:24 pm

rapstar wrote:
lsnoob wrote:So, I went complete in the first week of October and have heard nothing. Is that rare? Are there others without a decision after almost five months?

Mid October here. Why could it possibly take this long? I feel as if any decision is possible at this point... rejection, waitlist, acceptance, scholarship up to 90k :)

What are your stats?

I went complete mid-November and am still waiting. I've stopped stressing about UVA. If I get an acceptance with a scholarship offer, I'll seriously consider going there. If I get waitlisted or rejected, I'll go somewhere else. I've found that it's a waste of energy to worry about when or if UVA is going to get back to me.

pearl_earrings

Postby pearl_earrings » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:35 am

Dignan wrote:
rapstar wrote:
lsnoob wrote:So, I went complete in the first week of October and have heard nothing. Is that rare? Are there others without a decision after almost five months?

Mid October here. Why could it possibly take this long? I feel as if any decision is possible at this point... rejection, waitlist, acceptance, scholarship up to 90k :)

What are your stats?

I went complete mid-November and am still waiting. I've stopped stressing about UVA. If I get an acceptance with a scholarship offer, I'll seriously consider going there. If I get waitlisted or rejected, I'll go somewhere else. I've found that it's a waste of energy to worry about when or if UVA is going to get back to me.

+1
Complete in early November... an update in December got me all excited. Silence since then. I'd love an acceptance but I've gotten used to seeing the same status checker date over and over again.

A Swift

Postby A Swift » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:46 am

That's the terrible part of this process, there doesn't seem to be much reason to it. People who apply after you with better numbers get waitlisted while you continue to wait....

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:50 am

A Swift wrote:That's the terrible part of this process, there doesn't seem to be much reason to it. People who apply after you with better numbers get waitlisted while you continue to wait....

I think someone upthread suggested that they're playing "ED chicken" with some applicants - don't move on their file for a long time, hope some decide to send in the ED contract. Those people with better numbers who got waitlisted are probably the ones who they don't imagine would ever do ED there, whereas those with numbers right on the dot might. I don't know if that's their thinking, but it could be.

A Swift

Postby A Swift » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:49 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
A Swift wrote:That's the terrible part of this process, there doesn't seem to be much reason to it. People who apply after you with better numbers get waitlisted while you continue to wait....

I think someone upthread suggested that they're playing "ED chicken" with some applicants - don't move on their file for a long time, hope some decide to send in the ED contract. Those people with better numbers who got waitlisted are probably the ones who they don't imagine would ever do ED there, whereas those with numbers right on the dot might. I don't know if that's their thinking, but it could be.

That's just mean.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:53 pm

Where has everyone been sending their withdraw emails? lawadmit@virginia.edu?

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:57 pm

A Swift wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:

That's just mean.

this is true and it worked on me lol...i was in review for a little more than a month...faxed an ed form and the next morning (about 12 hours later) i got the phone call in lol...but im happy with my choice so if any of u dont really care about money/arent expecting money from t10...and u have bubble #'s and wanna go to uva, just send in the form.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:34 pm

For those of you on the WL, UVA is projecting they will go to the WL this year. You should withdraw if you don't want to attend anymore, but if you still do, don't give up.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:36 pm

vanwinkle wrote:For those of you on the WL, UVA is projecting they will go to the WL this year. You should withdraw if you don't want to attend anymore, but if you still do, don't give up.

Odd projection given from what I have read on this thread they haven't decided on a lot of old applications.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:43 pm

Kakarot wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:For those of you on the WL, UVA is projecting they will go to the WL this year. You should withdraw if you don't want to attend anymore, but if you still do, don't give up.

Odd projection given from what I have read on this thread they haven't decided on a lot of old applications.

Those people probably are headed to the WL too, unless they ED.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:59 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
Kakarot wrote:

Those people probably are headed to the WL too, unless they ED.

im pretty sure nobody will get in until april maybe mid march unless they ed

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:32 pm

Kakarot wrote:

They're intentionally issuing relatively few acceptances this cycle with the intention of going to the WL to fill gaps when they're done. This will continue to be true for those who are remaining and have not yet heard back. You may not get an acceptance, but if you do get WL'd you still have a shot at getting in this cycle.

Of course, if you haven't heard back yet and really want to attend, going ED makes your case a lot better.

booboo

Postby booboo » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:39 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Kakarot wrote:

They're intentionally issuing relatively few acceptances this cycle with the intention of going to the WL to fill gaps when they're done. This will continue to be true for those who are remaining and have not yet heard back. You may not get an acceptance, but if you do get WL'd you still have a shot at getting in this cycle.

Of course, if you haven't heard back yet and really want to attend, going ED makes your case a lot better.

vanwinkle, I remember reading a while ago on this thread that UVA likes to play a game of chicken in regards to WL acceptances, in that they call and ask if you were willing to make a binding commitment to attend, and if not, then keep you on the WL or reject you. I was hoping it was not true, and they did something similar to what Chicago does in that they give you a week to decide.

Any help is much appreciated.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:03 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Kakarot wrote:

I'll bet they do visit the WL 10+ times this year, and probably more than that. Seems to me that they've found the perfect way to keep their medians at two guaranteed numbers.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:09 pm

stratocophic wrote:I'll bet they do visit the WL 10+ times this year, and probably more than that. Seems to me that they've found the perfect way to keep their medians at two guaranteed numbers.

I can't give exact numbers myself since I don't have them but I imagine 10+ is a very safe prediction.

booboo wrote:vanwinkle, I remember reading a while ago on this thread that UVA likes to play a game of chicken in regards to WL acceptances, in that they call and ask if you were willing to make a binding commitment to attend, and if not, then keep you on the WL or reject you. I was hoping it was not true, and they did something similar to what Chicago does in that they give you a week to decide.

Any help is much appreciated.

I had been told the same thing last cycle about phone-call acceptances in general. The rumor was that they asked you to call, and then asked if you were still interested in attending, and if you said yes then they offered you an acceptance. My phone call did not go like that at all, though, it was some idle chatter followed by "Well, to get down to business, I wanted to let you know that we've decided to offer you an acceptance here this year," and that was it. It turned out the rumor was wrong.

I can't say anything about whether the WL works differently because I don't know a single person who was accepted off the WL last year. Supposedly there were a few, but a very few (enough to count on only one hand) and I don't know who any of them are. Sadly I don't know what to tell you about the WL.

I do know that the adcomms here are pretty friendly and honorable guys, and I would be surprised if they screwed you over for saying you'd need at least a day or two to decide.

InAltaTende

Postby InAltaTende » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:55 pm

I'm hoping that one of you will spare me from having to read 100+ pages. What is the consensus/theory on multiple complete date updates? Thanks!

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:57 pm

InAltaTende wrote:I'm hoping that one of you will spare me from having to read 100+ pages. What is the consensus/theory on multiple complete date updates? Thanks!

No predictive value and zero utility outside of stressing you out.

InAltaTende

Postby InAltaTende » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:00 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
InAltaTende wrote:I'm hoping that one of you will spare me from having to read 100+ pages. What is the consensus/theory on multiple complete date updates? Thanks!

No predictive value and zero utility outside of stressing you out.

Haha, alright. Thought as much, but one always tends to hope. Cheers!

Shlonster

Postby Shlonster » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:14 pm

Last edited by Shlonster on Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ornbarn

Postby ornbarn » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:11 pm

Did the waitlists all get sent at the same time, or are they slowly coming out through the rest of the day?

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:13 am

I'm pretty sure I've decided not to go the ED route prior to next week's deadline.

Even if the rest of my cycle follows the relatively disappointing trend I'm on, I'll be sitting on waitlists at Chicago, Virginia, Duke, Georgetown, (maybe) Penn, (maybe) Michigan, (maybe) Cornell, and (maybe) Northwestern. That's assuming neither Michigan, Penn, nor NU accept me outright and it's also assuming I don't get a miracle acceptance to Columbia. It's also not assuming anything about UCLA.

I just got into USC, so I don't feel quite as "ahhhhh I'm going to get rejected EVERYWHERE" as I used to. If USC and UCLA end up as my only safety net as I bank on getting in from at least one of eight waitlists, I think that's a risk I can live with. UVA's unique ED system definitely offers an intriguing opportunity to possibly secure a spot right now, but I know it's not my stand-alone top choice among the eight, so going ED would be purely strategic and short-sighted.

existenz

Postby existenz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:18 am

LieutKaffee wrote:I'm pretty sure I've decided not to go the ED route prior to next week's deadline.

Even if the rest of my cycle follows the relatively disappointing trend I'm on, I'll be sitting on waitlists at Chicago, Virginia, Duke, Georgetown, (maybe) Penn, (maybe) Michigan, (maybe) Cornell, and (maybe) Northwestern. That's assuming neither Michigan, Penn, nor NU accept me outright and it's also assuming I don't get a miracle acceptance to Columbia. It's also not assuming anything about UCLA.

I just got into USC, so I don't feel quite as "ahhhhh I'm going to get rejected EVERYWHERE" as I used to. If USC and UCLA end up as my only safety net as I bank on getting in from at least one of eight waitlists, I think that's a risk I can live with. UVA's unique ED system definitely offers an intriguing opportunity to possibly secure a spot right now, but I know it's not my stand-alone top choice among the eight, so going ED would be purely strategic and short-sighted.

I have very similar stats to you. A week ago, I had zero acceptances in the T14. WL at columbia and Gtown. Since then I've been admitted to Michigan and Duke, and also got into Texas and UCLA w/$$$.

I think holding out is a good call unless UVA is your absolute top choice and money isn't a concern. But then again, if that were the case you probably would have ED'd with them months ago.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:27 am

LieutKaffee wrote:I'm pretty sure I've decided not to go the ED route prior to next week's deadline.

I think that you're making the right call, given your situation and priorities.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:12 am

A song for all those RDers still waiting on UVA.

A groan of tedium escapes me,
startling the fearful.
Is this a test?
It has to be.
Otherwise I can’t go on.
Draining patience, drain vitality.
This paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old.

But I’m still right here,
giving blood and keeping faith.
And I’m still right here.

But I’m still right here,
giving blood and keeping faith.
And I’m still right here.

Wait it out...
I’m gonna wait it out.
Wait it out.

If there were no rewards to reap,
no embrace to see me through,
this tedious path I’ve chosen here,
I certainly would’ve walked away, by now.

Gonna wait it out

If there were no desire to heal,
The damaged and broken met along
I certainly would’ve walked away, by now.

And I still may...
And I still may...

Be patient.

I must keep reminding myself of this...

If there were no rewards to reap,
No embrace to see me through,
I certainly would’ve walked away by now.
And I still may, and I still may, and I still may, and I may...

Gonna wait it out.
Gonna wait it out.
Wait it out.
Gonna wait it out.

welkyn

Postby welkyn » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:50 am

I had an update on 2/8 and then on 2/16, then nothing happened....
is this a bad sign?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”