UVA 2010, RD

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thickfreakness

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby thickfreakness » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:40 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
Why would someone with numbers above both medians ED and lose any shot at big $$$? Maybe if they're UVa or bust, but it can't be that common to just hate money... can it?

I see your point, but Virginia does seem to be one of those special schools that attracts a certain number of people who might be able to secure acceptances at higher-ranked institution but simply prefer to spend three years here.

Also, there's a difference between being slightly over the medians and being significantly over the 75ths. YP usually concerns the latter category.

I would be one of those people.

Ok. You might have gotten NYU or Chicago, but UVA is probably about as good as you would get. You don't have to troll angrily about UVA not YPing because it's obviously true that they do it. There's nothing necessarily bad about it.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:49 pm

stratocophic wrote:Why would someone with numbers above both medians ED and lose any shot at big $$$? Maybe if they're UVa or bust, but it can't be that common to just hate money... can it?

Unlike most schools, UVA does award $$$ to folks who ED and gave substantial scholarships to several ED applicants last cycle. You're not giving up your entire shot at money, you're giving up a choice of whether to take or leave how much they do give you.

I've had arguments with folks on this earlier, but generally, UVA has an interest in encouraging people with strong numbers to ED and thus is likely to continue awarding $$$ to ED applicants for that reason.

LDC

Postby LDC » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:37 pm

This is getting pretty frustrating -- I've been waiting for a decision for 3+ months. Has anyone emailed or called to express interest and ask if a decision is coming soon? Advice appreciated - thanks!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:28 pm

LDC wrote: Has anyone emailed or called to express interest and ask if a decision is coming soon?

I doubt that this idea would be wise, unless vanwinkle disagrees.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:59 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
LDC wrote: Has anyone emailed or called to express interest and ask if a decision is coming soon?

I love how people are deferring to me actively now. :D

The UVA admissions staff is very friendly, and they do like to see interest in attending from potential applicants. If you haven't communicated with them in some time, I don't think you'll hurt anything at all by asking if a decision is coming soon. If you're really interested in expressing interest, you can compose and send a LOCI by E-mail reaffirming your interest in attending, which they'll add to your file. A single contact like that won't be a problem as long as it's polite and positive, especially if it's been a couple months since you applied; you just want to avoid becoming an unnecessary drain on their time.

I'd recommend not directly asking them for an update, but instead writing a LOCI and adding in something about how you are eagerly awaiting a decision or that you hope to hear back from them soon. That way it won't seem like you're demanding a response from them, they can decide how quickly to respond based on how busy they are, and they won't be annoyed.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:04 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:

The UVA admissions staff is very friendly, and they do like to see interest in attending from potential applicants. If you haven't communicated with them in some time, I don't think you'll hurt anything at all by asking if a decision is coming soon. If you're really interested in expressing interest, you can compose and send a LOCI by E-mail reaffirming your interest in attending, which they'll add to your file. A single contact like that won't be a problem as long as it's polite and positive, especially if it's been a couple months since you applied; you just want to avoid becoming an unnecessary drain on their time.

I'd recommend not directly asking them for an update, but instead writing a LOCI and adding in something about how you are eagerly awaiting a decision or that you hope to hear back from them soon. That way it won't seem like you're demanding a response from them, they can decide how quickly to respond based on how busy they are, and they won't be annoyed.

+1. FWIW, I had been waiting about 3 months, had written a Why UVA indicating it was my first choice, and couldn't handle waiting any longer. I sent Mr. Dugas an emailing re-expressing my indication that UVA was STILL my number one choice. I also gave him a brief update on a new teaching assistant position I had obtained and asked if a third letter of recommendation (targeted to UVA would help).

The next day, I got the email from Cordell Faulk asking me to call, and I was accepted with a 75k scholarship. And I just put down my first seat deposit for UVA today :D

I can't imagine that's terribly common, that quick turnaround, but I personally don't think it could hurt.

pearl_earrings

Postby pearl_earrings » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:41 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:

UVA admissions staff definitely stand out! Every time I contact them, they are positive, upbeat, and helpful. It's refreshing and definitely makes their school even more desirable.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:42 am

5ky wrote:The next day, I got the email from Cordell Faulk asking me to call, and I was accepted with a 75k scholarship. And I just put down my first seat deposit for UVA today :D

Congrats and welcome!

SeekUp13

Postby SeekUp13 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:36 pm

Been Complete since 12/11, still at "file complete pending review/decis." Was accepted at Mich recently. People with similar stats/dates have been hearing back lateely...any thoughts on when I might hear back from UVA?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:48 pm

rapstar

Postby rapstar » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:26 pm

SeekUp13 wrote:Been Complete since 12/11, still at "file complete pending review/decis." Was accepted at Mich recently. People with similar stats/dates have been hearing back lateely...any thoughts on when I might hear back from UVA?

I have been complete since mid October. I love UVA, but I would not attend without a scholarship. Does anyone know of a 4 month plus decision that included a scholarship offer???

rupert.pupkin

Postby rupert.pupkin » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:08 pm

Is it possible to get merit aid after admission or is it only offered off with the acceptance letter?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:13 pm

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:15 pm

rupert.pupkin wrote:Is it possible to get merit aid after admission or is it only offered off with the acceptance letter?

possible after

louboutin

Postby louboutin » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:04 pm

for those of you who sent in a LOCI before receiving a decision, how long was it? Did you send it via document or directly in the email?

lilybeth

Postby lilybeth » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:21 pm

louboutin wrote:for those of you who sent in a LOCI before receiving a decision, how long was it? Did you send it via document or directly in the email?

For UVA I suggest sending it via an attachment, and in the body of your e-mail specifically say what it is and that you would like to add it as an update to your application.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:46 pm

lilybeth wrote:
louboutin wrote:for those of you who sent in a LOCI before receiving a decision, how long was it? Did you send it via document or directly in the email?

For UVA I suggest sending it via an attachment, and in the body of your e-mail specifically say what it is and that you would like to add it as an update to your application.

This is solid advice.

ornbarn

Postby ornbarn » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:24 pm

Well, my date updated today from 1/06 to 2/19. I guess we'll see what this means.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:27 pm

ornbarn wrote:Well, my date updated today from 1/06 to 2/19. I guess we'll see what this means.

+1

portena

Postby portena » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:59 pm

ornbarn wrote:Well, my date updated today from 1/06 to 2/19. I guess we'll see what this means.

Mine updated for the first time last Friday...so far it has meant nothing.

lsnoob

Postby lsnoob » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:05 pm

So, I went complete in the first week of October and have heard nothing. Is that rare? Are there others without a decision after almost five months?

rapstar

Postby rapstar » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:11 pm

lsnoob wrote:So, I went complete in the first week of October and have heard nothing. Is that rare? Are there others without a decision after almost five months?

Mid October here. Why could it possibly take this long? I feel as if any decision is possible at this point... rejection, waitlist, acceptance, scholarship up to 90k :)

What are your stats?

turkishangora

Postby turkishangora » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:13 pm

last update 1/18...anyone in the same boat? UVA is a super reach for me so not expecting good news, but still, seems a long time...

lsnoob

Postby lsnoob » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:36 pm

rapstar wrote:
lsnoob wrote:So, I went complete in the first week of October and have heard nothing. Is that rare? Are there others without a decision after almost five months?

Mid October here. Why could it possibly take this long? I feel as if any decision is possible at this point... rejection, waitlist, acceptance, scholarship up to 90k :)

What are your stats?

172/3.7

rapstar

Postby rapstar » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:53 pm

lsnoob wrote:
rapstar wrote:

What are your stats?

172/3.7

171/3.9 for me. Who knows? Maybe UVA is waiting to get in all of it's early decision applicants and then they'll have more money to offer to candidates who have both an LSAT and GPA at the 75s.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”