UVA 2010, RD Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
memaha

Bronze

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Post by memaha » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:47 pm

bwana73 wrote:So I'm probably opening a can of worms here (and I am not trying to offend anyone that has gotten in today... I am really happy for you) but does anyone understand what is going on with this admission cycle? It seems that all they really care about is GPA. Last week they waitlisted dozens of people with LSATs 4-7 points over their median and .1-.3 lower on GPA. Now they are accepting individuals with LSATs 2 points below median and GPAs on the median. Does this make sense to anyone?
seems like UVA is doing all it can to protect its GPA median and assuming those WLed/dinged last week would not be attending UVA anyways in the long run, and thus YPing. Who knows. Their GPA obsession is screwing me over though... :/

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:49 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
bwana73 wrote:So I'm probably opening a can of worms here (and I am not trying to offend anyone that has gotten in today... I am really happy for you) but does anyone understand what is going on with this admission cycle? It seems that all they really care about is GPA. Last week they waitlisted dozens of people with LSATs 4-7 points over their median and .1-.3 lower on GPA. Now they are accepting individuals with LSATs 2 points below median and GPAs on the median. Does this make sense to anyone?
They may have gotten a flood of high-LSAT applicants and found it actually harder this cycle to find and keep 3.85+ applicants than 170+ applicants. They may have also taken more 170+ splitters early in the cycle than they should have, forcing them to compensate now by taking high-GPA kids.

Hard to say for sure, but there's a couple possible theories there.
Heh, I've got both numbers slightly above median and I'm still blowing in the wind over here. Hopefully I'll get some good news soon.

portena

Bronze

Post by portena » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:58 pm

I've got both at/above 75th (though not in YP territory) and I was really hoping today would be my day, as my status checker updated on Friday and people with the same (mid-December) complete date have been hearing back lately. I know many of you have been waiting much longer, so I have no right to be anxious, but I love UVA and really want some good news!

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:01 am

oneforship wrote:
They got all the high LSATs they needed via their ED process?
This might be the reason.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:18 am

So far this cycle, Virginia has accepted 93% of all applicants with both numbers at or above the medians. Last year, they accepted about 75%.

If you have two above-median numbers and don't get in, it's probably not because of YP.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:25 am

vanwinkle wrote:
They may have gotten a flood of high-LSAT applicants and found it actually harder this cycle to find and keep 3.85+ applicants than 170+ applicants. They may have also taken more 170+ splitters early in the cycle than they should have, forcing them to compensate now by taking high-GPA kids.

Hard to say for sure, but there's a couple possible theories there.
Possible, but aren't there a lot more 3.85+/160-169 applicants than 3.84-/170+ applicants? Plus, the former aren't likely to have better T14 options (possibly none if < 167), while the latter might get one of CCN and be less likely to enroll.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:40 am

showNprove wrote:So far this cycle, Virginia has accepted 93% of all applicants with both numbers at or above the medians. Last year, they accepted about 75%.

If you have two above-median numbers and don't get in, it's probably not because of YP.
I think this comparison is a little misleading. The 75% figure includes all of last year's cycle, whereas the 93% figure includes only those acceptances that have gone out thus far. Based on what I can see on LSN, many (most?) of the high GPA, high LSAT applicants have not heard back from UVA yet. We may still get a big wave of YP-motivated waitlist decisions for that population.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:26 am

Dignan wrote:
showNprove wrote:So far this cycle, Virginia has accepted 93% of all applicants with both numbers at or above the medians. Last year, they accepted about 75%.

I think this comparison is a little misleading. The 75% figure includes all of last year's cycle, whereas the 93% figure includes only those acceptances that have gone out thus far. Based on what I can see on LSN, many (most?) of the high GPA, high LSAT applicants have not heard back from UVA yet. We may still get a big wave of YP-motivated waitlist decisions for that population.
A 75% acceptance rate still doesn't compute with rampant YP. Last year, Chicago accepted only 73% of applicants with both numbers above the median. Is Chicago an egregious yield protector, too?

The point is, even if you assume every non-acceptance is YP-motivated--which is a big assumption--the vast majority of people with high numbers still get in. Is it that far-fetched to assume that perhaps a small percentage of people with high numbers just aren't otherwise good candidates for particular law schools?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:39 am

showNprove wrote:
Dignan wrote:

A 75% acceptance rate still doesn't compute with rampant YP. Last year, Chicago accepted only 73% of applicants with both numbers above the median. Is Chicago an egregious yield protector, too?

The point is, even if you assume every non-acceptance is YP-motivated--which is a big assumption--the vast majority of people with high numbers still get in. Is it that far-fetched to assume that perhaps a small percentage of people with high numbers just aren't otherwise good candidates for particular law schools?
Actually, Chicago is the egregious yield protector among CCN. If you look at the ~25% of 3.76+/171+ applicants that weren't accepted last year, many got into Yale, Harvard, and/or Columbia (often all 3), including TLS's own Mallard. How is an applicant a good fit for Harvard and even Yale, yet not Chicago? :roll:

In comparison, NYU takes around 95% of double-median applicants.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:30 am

im_blue wrote:
showNprove wrote:
Dignan wrote:

Actually, Chicago is the egregious yield protector among CCN. If you look at the ~25% of 3.76+/171+ applicants that weren't accepted last year, many got into Yale, Harvard, and/or Columbia (often all 3), including TLS's own Mallard. How is an applicant a good fit for Harvard and even Yale, yet not Chicago? :roll:

Not everyone who gets into Yale gets into Stanford or Harvard. This isn't a linear progression down the USNWR. When adcomms get thousands of applications from highly-qualified applicants for a limited number of seats, they do look at more than just numbers. Because adcomms are human, and because schools have different tilts and environments, the decisions are not going to be uniform.

Adcomms care more about not over-enrolling than they do about the yield rate. For every student they take with one lowish number, that's one less seat available for the people with two high numbers. Eventually someone needs to be put on the waitlist, regardless of which other schools accepted that applicant. After all, the adcomms at Penn don't call Yale to find out who Yale liked best so they can admit the same people. "Hey, Yale, who are all the cool schools picking this year? I don't want any weenies at my law school."

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:43 am

showNprove wrote:
im_blue wrote:Actually, Chicago is the egregious yield protector among CCN. If you look at the ~25% of 3.76+/171+ applicants that weren't accepted last year, many got into Yale, Harvard, and/or Columbia (often all 3), including TLS's own Mallard. How is an applicant a good fit for Harvard and even Yale, yet not Chicago? :roll:

Not everyone who gets into Yale gets into Stanford or Harvard. This isn't a linear progression down the USNWR. When adcomms get thousands of applications from highly-qualified applicants for a limited number of seats, they do look at more than just numbers. Because adcomms are human, and because schools have different tilts and environments, the decisions are not going to be uniform.

Adcomms care more about not over-enrolling than they do about the yield rate. For every student they take with one lowish number, that's one less seat available for the people with two high numbers. Eventually someone needs to be put on the waitlist, regardless of which other schools accepted that applicant. After all, the adcomms at Penn don't call Yale to find out who Yale liked best so they can admit the same people. "Hey, Yale, who are all the cool schools picking this year? I don't want any weenies at my law school."
I don't disagree with the bolded statement. I'm arguing that virtually all HY acceptees should easily get into Chicago, as is the case at NYU. NYU waitlists/rejects about 5% of above-median applicants, compared to 25% at Chicago, so Chicago must be practicing YP or holistic admissions (we can all agree that NYU is a numbers whore). The fact that many of that 25% also gets into HY suggests the former.

I would also argue that any school with the problem of needing to waitlist numerically qualified or overqualified candidates is not maximizing its medians effectively. After all, why are you waitlisting above-median candidates when you could have rejected plenty of splitters that only help one median?

KellyD09

New

Post by KellyD09 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:27 pm

Waitlisted Today.

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:48 pm

Waitlisted... Fuck em, i got Michigan and Penn. Far superior. I guess the moral of the story, ED or bust.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thisiswater1488

New

Post by thisiswater1488 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Waitlisted today. Numbers at/above 75th%. Withdrew my app!

jlnoa0915

Bronze

Post by jlnoa0915 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:15 pm

DING, needless to say I am shocked that I wasn't auto admitted! :lol:

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:53 pm

What happens to those two numbers if you remove ED applicants? Just curious.

Do people here think other schools will switch to UVA's rolling ED program next cycle?

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:56 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:

What happens to those two numbers if you remove ED applicants? Just curious.

Do people here think other schools will switch to UVA's rolling ED program next cycle?

I'm sure some schools will start doing that. It seems to have worked for UVA thus far, I guess we'll really see how effective it is when the new class medians roll out next fall.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:03 pm

That's grossly misleading. You're only counting the applicants who have had decisions made on their files. There are many more applicants still waiting to hear back that I bet will be WLed.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:55 pm

5ky wrote:
That's grossly misleading. You're only counting the applicants who have had decisions made on their files. There are many more applicants still waiting to hear back that I bet will be WLed.
That's exactly why I included last year's acceptance rate right next to it. Even if the rate falls down to last year's end rate, it's still a high percentage of acceptances.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:06 am

showNprove wrote:
5ky wrote:
That's exactly why I included last year's acceptance rate right next to it. Even if the rate falls down to last year's end rate, it's still a high percentage of acceptances.
Like the previous poster, I suspect that a significant segment of that percentage was ED.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:16 am

CardinalRules wrote:
showNprove wrote:
5ky wrote:
Like the previous poster, I suspect that a significant segment of that percentage was ED.
Why would someone with numbers above both medians ED and lose any shot at big $$$? Maybe if they're UVa or bust, but it can't be that common to just hate money... can it?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:38 am

stratocophic wrote:
Why would someone with numbers above both medians ED and lose any shot at big $$$? Maybe if they're UVa or bust, but it can't be that common to just hate money... can it?
I see your point, but Virginia does seem to be one of those special schools that attracts a certain number of people who might be able to secure acceptances at higher-ranked institution but simply prefer to spend three years here.

Also, there's a difference between being slightly over the medians and being significantly over the 75ths. YP usually concerns the latter category.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:52 am

CardinalRules wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
I see your point, but Virginia does seem to be one of those special schools that attracts a certain number of people who might be able to secure acceptances at higher-ranked institution but simply prefer to spend three years here.

Also, there's a difference between being slightly over the medians and being significantly over the 75ths. YP usually concerns the latter category.
Very true, Virginia's culture is unique and would play a relatively significant role in decision making for many. Still, even slightly over both of UVa's medians is Berkeley/Stanford range and makes at least one of CCN a relatively sure thing (we're talking a 170-172 with 3.86-3.9). Not a UVa troll, just not sure that the ED change isn't shaking things up a bit more (and in a different way) than people predicted.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:58 am

stratocophic wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

Very true, Virginia's culture is unique and would play a relatively significant role in decision making for many. Still, even slightly over both of UVa's medians is Berkeley/Stanford range and makes at least one of CCN a relatively sure thing (we're talking a 170-172 with 3.86-3.9). Not a UVa troll, just not sure that the ED change isn't shaking things up a bit more (and in a different way) than people predicted.
Yeah just hitting both UVA medians at 3.85/170 would give you pretty good chances at NYU, and 1 more LSAT point would put you in the running for CC.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:30 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

I would be one of those people.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”