UVA 2010, RD

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Core
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Core » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:52 pm

Pending Review since 10/19. Sent in a LOCI, 1-page writing sample, updated transcripts, and an additional LOR. Not a peep. 168/3.94 PR. I think that, despite my LOCI and such, they don't expect me to attend if admitted.

orphanarium
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby orphanarium » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:21 pm

...
Last edited by orphanarium on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
TripleK
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby TripleK » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:38 pm

I got a waitlist e-mail yesterday. I was very surprised, but happy. Guess its time to send a LOCI. :wink:

3.8GPA
162 LSAT

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby gatorlion » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:43 pm

My question is, with all of the YP WLs this week, do any otherwise non-auto admits stand a chance of getting off the WL? I can only imagine them starting with the 175/3.8s and working their way down...

xcountryjunkie
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby xcountryjunkie » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:45 pm

gatorlion wrote:My question is, with all of the YP WLs this week, do any otherwise non-auto admits stand a chance of getting off the WL? I can only imagine them starting with the 175/3.8s and working their way down...


I suppose that depends on how many 175/3.8s actually stay on the WL. A LOT will get accepted to HYSCCN and withdraw from the WL to attend one of those instead.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Dignan » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:47 pm

gatorlion wrote:My question is, with all of the YP WLs this week, do any otherwise non-auto admits stand a chance of getting off the WL? I can only imagine them starting with the 175/3.8s and working their way down...

I don't think that's how it works. If UVA takes someone off the waitlist by offering them an acceptance, then that act counts as an offer for purposes of yield calculation. In other words, the YP concerns that made UVA put the 175/3.8 applicant on the waitllist make it unlikely that UVA will take that applicant off the waitlist.

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby gatorlion » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:49 pm

Dignan wrote:
gatorlion wrote:My question is, with all of the YP WLs this week, do any otherwise non-auto admits stand a chance of getting off the WL? I can only imagine them starting with the 175/3.8s and working their way down...

I don't think that's how it works. If UVA takes someone off the waitlist by offering them an acceptance, then that act counts as an offer for purposes of yield calculation. In other words, the YP concerns that made UVA put the 175/3.8 applicant on the waitllist make it unlikely that UVA will take that applicant off the waitlist.


But out of respect for their numbers they will WL them instead of sending an outright rejection? Also, with the hoards of applicants on the WL, I'm guessing only a small proportion (if any at all) will be taken off the WL.

User avatar
jmaan
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:15 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby jmaan » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:21 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
jmaan wrote:Sending ed form today lol


I predict an acceptance.



thanks :) just faxed it so we'll see

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby im_blue » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:27 pm

Dignan wrote:
gatorlion wrote:My question is, with all of the YP WLs this week, do any otherwise non-auto admits stand a chance of getting off the WL? I can only imagine them starting with the 175/3.8s and working their way down...

I don't think that's how it works. If UVA takes someone off the waitlist by offering them an acceptance, then that act counts as an offer for purposes of yield calculation. In other words, the YP concerns that made UVA put the 175/3.8 applicant on the waitllist make it unlikely that UVA will take that applicant off the waitlist.


Don't know if UVA specifically does this, but many law schools call WL applicants and ask if they would commit to attending if a spot were to be offered. If they say no, then no offer was actually made. See what they did there?

User avatar
Shlonster
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Shlonster » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:00 pm

So i went back and read the last couple of pages, witnessed the blood bath, but still don't really understand the entire process. I know that they email you either saying call or ding/wl you, but what can I learn from my status checker? If, for instance, it updated it's pending review/decision date from 1/12 to 2/12, should I be expecting something soon? Should I be filling out my ED paperwork as we speak (type...)?

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:02 pm

Shlonster wrote:So i went back and read the last couple of pages, witnessed the blood bath, but still don't really understand the entire process. I know that they email you either saying call or ding/wl you, but what can I learn from my status checker? If, for instance, it updated it's pending review/decision date from 1/12 to 2/12, should I be expecting something soon? Should I be filling out my ED paperwork as we speak (type...)?


What are your numbers?

User avatar
Shlonster
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Shlonster » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:13 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
Shlonster wrote:So i went back and read the last couple of pages, witnessed the blood bath, but still don't really understand the entire process. I know that they email you either saying call or ding/wl you, but what can I learn from my status checker? If, for instance, it updated it's pending review/decision date from 1/12 to 2/12, should I be expecting something soon? Should I be filling out my ED paperwork as we speak (type...)?


What are your numbers?



LSAT at Median, gpa below by a point or two. I know your answer will be yes, but I'm not going to ED there as I couldn't see myself paying sticker. I was more interested in exactly how telling an update to my status checker is. Thanks for the response though.

Edit: NVM figured it out.
Last edited by Shlonster on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
wadeny
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:52 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby wadeny » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:17 pm

Wow, this thread has become massive. I posted a few weeks ago before many of these WL/reject decisions went out, but I feel your pain. I applied early last cycle and was placed on the WL. I visited, sent in LOCIs, improved my GPA, etc, but ended up getting rejected last August after waiting nearly 8 months for a miracle to come through. And, well, it didn't.

From my experiences last cycle (and browsing TLS/LSN), UVA's WL is nearly impossible to get off. That's not to say no one gets in off it, but the odds are definitely stacked against WLers. For most schools, I would say keep trying to express your interest and hope for something to come through, but for UVA, I don't know if it's really worth it. In some ways, I almost wish they had rejected me to begin with, rather than stringing me along for so many painful months. Anyway, continued good luck to those who decide to stick it out but just realize you could be in for a long, long wait.

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby gatorlion » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:54 pm

im_blue wrote:
Dignan wrote:
gatorlion wrote:My question is, with all of the YP WLs this week, do any otherwise non-auto admits stand a chance of getting off the WL? I can only imagine them starting with the 175/3.8s and working their way down...

I don't think that's how it works. If UVA takes someone off the waitlist by offering them an acceptance, then that act counts as an offer for purposes of yield calculation. In other words, the YP concerns that made UVA put the 175/3.8 applicant on the waitllist make it unlikely that UVA will take that applicant off the waitlist.


Don't know if UVA specifically does this, but many law schools call WL applicants and ask if they would commit to attending if a spot were to be offered. If they say no, then no offer was actually made. See what they did there?


That happened to a friend of mine who was on the WL and now proudly attends UVA Law.

orphanarium
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby orphanarium » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:02 pm

...
Last edited by orphanarium on Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby flyingpanda » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:37 am

wadeny wrote:Wow, this thread has become massive. I posted a few weeks ago before many of these WL/reject decisions went out, but I feel your pain. I applied early last cycle and was placed on the WL. I visited, sent in LOCIs, improved my GPA, etc, but ended up getting rejected last August after waiting nearly 8 months for a miracle to come through. And, well, it didn't.

From my experiences last cycle (and browsing TLS/LSN), UVA's WL is nearly impossible to get off. That's not to say no one gets in off it, but the odds are definitely stacked against WLers. For most schools, I would say keep trying to express your interest and hope for something to come through, but for UVA, I don't know if it's really worth it. In some ways, I almost wish they had rejected me to begin with, rather than stringing me along for so many painful months. Anyway, continued good luck to those who decide to stick it out but just realize you could be in for a long, long wait.


According to Vanwinkle, this year is going to be different than last year. This year, UVA actually intends to pull a good number of people off the waitlist.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Doritos » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:08 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:
wadeny wrote:Wow, this thread has become massive. I posted a few weeks ago before many of these WL/reject decisions went out, but I feel your pain. I applied early last cycle and was placed on the WL. I visited, sent in LOCIs, improved my GPA, etc, but ended up getting rejected last August after waiting nearly 8 months for a miracle to come through. And, well, it didn't.

From my experiences last cycle (and browsing TLS/LSN), UVA's WL is nearly impossible to get off. That's not to say no one gets in off it, but the odds are definitely stacked against WLers. For most schools, I would say keep trying to express your interest and hope for something to come through, but for UVA, I don't know if it's really worth it. In some ways, I almost wish they had rejected me to begin with, rather than stringing me along for so many painful months. Anyway, continued good luck to those who decide to stick it out but just realize you could be in for a long, long wait.


According to Vanwinkle, this year is going to be different than last year. This year, UVA actually intends to pull a good number of people off the waitlist.



I wonder why...they have more ED students due to extending the deadline so I would think that would take less people off the waitlist. More ED students mean they have more of the class formed sooner right? Who knows? The admission process is bizarre...

User avatar
wadeny
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:52 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby wadeny » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:52 pm

According to Vanwinkle, this year is going to be different than last year. This year, UVA actually intends to pull a good number of people off the waitlist.


I'll believe it when it actually happens - posters said this same thing last cycle. I mean, I don't really see how UVA even knows if they will be taking anyone off the WL at this point since it usually comes down to their yield. And if last cycle is any indication, everyone and their cousin decided to pack up and head to Charlottesville.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:58 pm

wadeny wrote:
According to Vanwinkle, this year is going to be different than last year. This year, UVA actually intends to pull a good number of people off the waitlist.

I'll believe it when it actually happens - posters said this same thing last cycle. I mean, I don't really see how UVA even knows if they will be taking anyone off the WL at this point since it usually comes down to their yield. And if last cycle is any indication, everyone and their cousin decided to pack up and head to Charlottesville.

You're correct in that last cycle they also intended to take more people off the WL than they did. However, they're currently attempting to correct for what happened last cycle by making even fewer acceptances to ensure they can prevent overenrolling and then fill in any gaps using the WL.

It's still possible that even with further reductions in acceptance rate they still overenroll and can't go to the WL again, but they are aware of and trying to learn from what happened last year, which hopefully means that what happened then won't happen two years in a row.

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby GeePee » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:08 pm

I was sort of expecting UVA to never give me a decision this cycle... I was surprised to see my review date update after 2.5 months of static waiting. However, it doesn't seem to mean anything. It seems like UVA is just playing chicken with its emphasis on ED here.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby thickfreakness » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:07 pm

So it's getting close to UVA's daily (lately) late afternoon slaughter...

gwgirl
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:46 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby gwgirl » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:51 pm

I think the status checker's date change might actually mean something. Mine said "File Complete, Pending Review/Decision 12/15" from the day I went complete on 12/15, and didn't change until last week when it changed to "File Complete, Pending Review Decision 2/25." Then today, I got the e-mail from the dean and was accepted.

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby booboo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:00 pm

Are your dates correct gwgirl?

Something seems off.

gwgirl
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:46 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby gwgirl » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:16 pm

Are my dates correct? I just double-checked, I got my complete e-mail on 12/16. Now my status checker just says "Congratulations!" so I can't double-check last week's change but I'm pretty sure it was 2/11, but maybe it was 2/12.
Last edited by gwgirl on Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby booboo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:22 pm

So, if I am understanding this correctly, UVA predicted your File Complete date about two weeks ahead of the current date?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: canafsa, Long shot hero, lonola, mdu, Rich Uncle Skeleton, xnsch and 14 guests