UVA 2010, RD

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
stratocophic

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby stratocophic » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:01 am

stand my ground wrote:The trouble w/ having been waitlisted today is that UVA would have been my top choice if I was given a decent break on tuition. I am assuming "yield protect" was at play, as my #s are 3.7x and 172.

The impression I get from the website is that loans are my only option, i.e. UVA won't offer scholarship to someone off of the WL. Does that sound correct?

WL =/= automatically YP if GPA < median GPA.

ITT non-splitters are decided to be pseudo-splitters by UVa. Rage/confusion/hysteria ensues.

Note: Still waiting on decision. As an actual splitter, I'm WLed if lucky, dinged otherwise.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:11 am

stand my ground wrote:The trouble w/ having been waitlisted today is that UVA would have been my top choice if I was given a decent break on tuition. I am assuming "yield protect" was at play, as my #s are 3.7x and 172.

The impression I get from the website is that loans are my only option, i.e. UVA won't offer scholarship to someone off of the WL. Does that sound correct?

HOW is this YP?

stand my ground

Postby stand my ground » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:13 am

I'm sure you know the #'s better than me. I just know I was admitted at better-ranked schools already. If it's not YP, then fine, I take it back. I was basing the claim off the acceptances in hand.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:16 am

stand my ground wrote:I'm sure you know the #'s better than me. I just know I was admitted at better-ranked schools already. If it's not YP, then fine, I take it back. I was basing the claim off the acceptances in hand.

Well, the good news is that you'll be going to a better-ranked school, then.

I think what we're seeing is UVA deciding that it's not going to throw $$$ at folks with high numbers anymore unless it sees an actual reason to. The school is attracting enough qualified applicants that folks might actually need something interesting in their application (gasp!) to justify $$$ instead of an assumption they're going elsewhere.

stand my ground

Postby stand my ground » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:21 am

There's something interesting. I'm not going to get into it here though.

Forget the YP/not YP part. My question remains...

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:25 am

stand my ground wrote:There's something interesting. I'm not going to get into it here though.

I think it honestly depends on what they need off the WL. If they for some reason end up needing someone to boost their medians, they may offer $$$ to someone on the WL to convince them to come. However, that rarely happens at UVA these days.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:31 am

stand my ground wrote:There's something interesting. I'm not going to get into it here though.

That's a pretty safe assumption no matter what school we're talking about.

edit: unless it's YP

stand my ground

Postby stand my ground » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:39 am

Ok, thanks, then I'm going to withdraw.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:11 am

Any word on whether you can be considered for ED after you've been waitlisted?

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:13 am

LieutKaffee wrote:Any word on whether you can be considered for ED after you've been waitlisted?

Worth a try, I mean thats a pretty strong LOCI, though at this point, with as full as the class is these WL appear to be more than YP.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:55 am

jawsthegreat wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:Any word on whether you can be considered for ED after you've been waitlisted?

Worth a try, I mean thats a pretty strong LOCI, though at this point, with as full as the class is these WL appear to be more than YP.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply I was YP. I'm just seriously considering the ED option if it's still doable as a way to increase my chances of being taken from the WL.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:29 pm

So, will there be another afternoon RD bloodbath today? I'm sitting here humming that song from the end of Portal...and hope to be doing the same tomorrow.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:34 pm

thickfreakness wrote:So, will there be another afternoon RD bloodbath today? I'm sitting here humming that song from the end of Portal...and hope to be doing the same tomorrow.

Dude if you want UVA so bad, email them and tell them you are still very interested in attending and was wondering when you could expect a decision.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:44 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:So, will there be another afternoon RD bloodbath today? I'm sitting here humming that song from the end of Portal...and hope to be doing the same tomorrow.

Dude if you want UVA so bad, email them and tell them you are still very interested in attending and was wondering when you could expect a decision.

I'm sorry, jaws, but I feel like you're becoming a little hostile with regards to people who are going through a rough wait in the cycle. Looking at your LSN, I guess you got a turnaround of 1 day on your only app, so you never really had to go through a period of really stressful waiting. I assure you, it is not fun, and I wish you wouldn't be so casually dismissive.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:48 pm

5ky wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:

I'm sorry, jaws, but I feel like you're becoming a little hostile with regards to people who are going through a rough wait in the cycle. Looking at your LSN, I guess you got a turnaround of 1 day on your only app, so you never really had to go through a period of really stressful waiting. I assure you, it is not fun, and I wish you wouldn't be so casually dismissive.

Your right and I completely understand where you are coming from.

But, at the same time there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a proactive stance in regards to your cycle. This thread is full of people who wanted UVA, sat passively on their hands for 3 months waiting for a decision, then were shocked when they got WL'd.

How is a school supposed to distinguish you from the crowd that just applied because of the fee waiver, from people who actual want to attend, if you don't express yourself in some way?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:49 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
5ky wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:

But, at the same time there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a proactive stance in regards to your cycle. This thread is full of people who wanted UVA, sat passively on their hands for 3 months waiting for a decision, then were shocked when they got WL'd.

How is a school supposed to distinguish you from the crowd that just applied because of the fee waiver, from people who actual want to attend, if you don't express yourself in some way?

You mean because eagerly applying in September and October isn't evidence of wanting to attend? I think most people aren't going to send six LOCIs before March if they haven't heard from UVA.

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:53 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
5ky wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:

I didn't get a fee waiver, so that should separate me from that crowd. :D

But seriously, as a candidate who expects a WL at any moment and hasn't had his status update since 11/12 (3 month anniversary!), this last week of WL/Ding carnage has been quite stressful.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:14 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
5ky wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:

Well I expressed in my application that UVA was my top choice and I really don't think it would be beneficial to call admissions and say "Hey there I'm neurotic pre-law guy and I'm just wondering if, you know, you could tell me when I'll know something. I don't really have a compelling reason besides just really wanting to know so I can visit soon and my spouse can look for a job." Everyone in that office is working a ton right now and I doubt they need one more person calling them and bugging them.

Mosca

Postby Mosca » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:18 pm

4 month anniversary for me. "Pending Review/Decision" with no updates since 10/12/09

welkyn

Postby welkyn » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:21 pm

Well I expressed in my application that UVA was my top choice and I really don't think it would be beneficial to call admissions and say "Hey there I'm neurotic pre-law guy and I'm just wondering if, you know, you could tell me when I'll know something. I don't really have a compelling reason besides just really wanting to know so I can visit soon and my spouse can look for a job." Everyone in that office is working a ton right now and I doubt they need one more person calling them and bugging them.

I concur with you....

wakefield

Postby wakefield » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:27 pm

thickfreakness wrote:

I agree, calling would probably do more harm than good.

Doesn't make waiting for the next round of dings/waitlists any easier, though.

existenz

Postby existenz » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:40 pm

I was "Pending Review/Decision" on 1/4, now it has updated to 2/12.

My numbers are 3.8/170ish. Based on what I've seen in this thread, there could easily be a WL coming down the pike for me.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:44 pm

Sending ed form today lol

booboo

Postby booboo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:46 pm

jmaan wrote:Sending ed form today lol

Convinced!

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:47 pm