UVA 2010, RD

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
los blancos

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby los blancos » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:11 pm

BTW Michigan did something similar earlier this cycle. I remember people with obscene numbers getting rejected in that thread, but I don't think it was anywhere near this magnitude.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:17 pm

los blancos wrote:BTW Michigan did something similar earlier this cycle. I remember people with obscene numbers getting rejected in that thread, but I don't think it was anywhere near this magnitude.

I think DF is right. Pretty sure they consider anyone who has one number below median a splitter. Take a look at LSN and see that no one with both of <170, <3.85 has gotten in except URMs. They are protecting the hell out of their medians. Doesn't matter how good your numbers are, you're a splitter to them if you have one number below median. That 3.85 appears etched in stone. Doesn't mean they won't offer you money to convince you to go there if you have good numbers (but one below) and you're admitted, as you're still a very strong candidate and they want you there and not somewhere else, but you're probably not going to get in auto-admit RD. Harsh and strange reality. At least, that's the way I've read the cycle. Feel free to disagree.

Edit: Why the hell else would they WL some of you guys? YP fits, and sure it may factor in as well, but bigger picture suggests something else to me.

memaha

Postby memaha » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:19 pm

booboo wrote:
whitman wrote:My god this is terrifying. Applying next year with a 3.49 and waiting to find out my LSAT from last week. I was thinking if I got a 173ish I'd be good to go at UVA, but shit. Rough luck everybody.

ED, then you're good.

agreed. if u do get that 173ish or even 170 plus, and apply EARLY, like Sept/Oct, even without ED, you should be fine.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:19 pm

stratocophic wrote:
los blancos wrote:BTW Michigan did something similar earlier this cycle. I remember people with obscene numbers getting rejected in that thread, but I don't think it was anywhere near this magnitude.

I think DF is right. Pretty sure they consider anyone who has one number below median a splitter. Take a look at LSN and see that no one with both of <170, <3.85 has gotten in except URMs. They are protecting the hell out of their medians. Doesn't matter how good your numbers are, you're a splitter to them if you have one number below median. That 3.85 appears etched in stone. Doesn't mean they won't offer you money to convince you to go there if you have good numbers (but one below) and you're admitted, as you're still a very strong candidate and they want you there and not somewhere else, but you're probably not going to get in auto-admit RD. Harsh and strange reality. At least, that's the way I've read the cycle. Feel free to disagree.

Edit: Why the hell else would they WL some of you guys? YP fits, and sure it may factor in as well, but bigger picture suggests something else to me.

Entirely plausible, but why are people with obscenely awesome numbers getting straight DINGED?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:21 pm

los blancos wrote:Entirely plausible, but why are people with obscenely awesome numbers getting straight DINGED?

I have no explanation for this. Perhaps they've decided from prior cycles that people with stats that high and no indication they want to attend UVA are so unlikely to attend that they can just ding them.

I wonder if anyone who got dinged today wrote a "Why UVA" essay. We need more data points.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:24 pm

UVA is going for a huge yield rate.

Also how does withdrawing from the WL count for the yield? Does it count as a 0/0 or 0/1.

EDIT I'm being retarded NM.
Last edited by 09042014 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:UVA is going for a huge yield rate.

Also how does withdrawing from the WL count for the yield? Does it count as a 0/0 or 0/1.

0/0.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:28 pm

Y'all do realize that there are thousands of applicants and only 360 seats, right? Getting high numbers doesn't entitle you to an acceptance at X school and every school ranked below it. Every school needs to make judgment calls on who isn't going to get offered a seat because, well, there aren't enough seats to go around. If Virginia extended offers to everyone with >171/>3.5, our class would be as big as Georgetown's.

Some people are blatantly ambivalent about UVA: they're not going to waste an offer on you, just to see you turn around and go to Chicago. Some people are just not good fits for the school. Other people have applications with red flags that UVA cares about and other schools don't (and vice versa, I would assume). For instance, Virginia places a much stronger emphasis on LOR's than most schools. That may play a factor. You don't know.

I'm sorry for the people who didn't get in -- and very sorry for those who had UVA as their top choice -- but it had to happen to some people, even people with great numbers.

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:29 pm

-
Last edited by DallasCowboy on Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:30 pm

Dignan wrote:

0/0.

That explains the rejections.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:31 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Dignan wrote:

0/0.

How so?

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:33 pm

Right, there's no such thing as a YP ding. They have nothing to lose by WL'ing. Crazy. I got dinged at one of my safeties, so I can empathize. It's a weird, paranoid feeling.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:33 pm

Dignan wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Dignan wrote:

0/0.

How so?

NM being retarded. It boosts their selectivity rating, which isn't the same thing.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:33 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:Why UVA, tailored PS, personal visit, LOCI. Dinged. True, no crazy softs, but not completely absent either (TA, research, club). I think I may have said something to Dugas about not wanting to be WL if there was little chance of getting off it, now that I come to think of it.

Honestly, I have no idea why you were dinged. It obviously wasn't because of a lack of interest or poor numbers (or too good numbers, as some have suggested). I don't want to speculate as to why you were rejected, but it obviously wasn't for YP reasons.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:38 pm

showNprove wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:Why UVA, tailored PS, personal visit, LOCI. Dinged. True, no crazy softs, but not completely absent either (TA, research, club). I think I may have said something to Dugas about not wanting to be WL if there was little chance of getting off it, now that I come to think of it.

Honestly, I have no idea why you were dinged. It obviously wasn't because of a lack of interest or poor numbers (or too good numbers, as some have suggested). I don't want to speculate as to why you were rejected, but it obviously wasn't for YP reasons.

I don't want to kick DallasCowboy while he's down, but there is a chance that he made an unfavorable impression when he visited. In Anna Ivey's book, she talks about the risk involved in talking to an adcomm. Although she acknowledges that some applicants increase their chances when talking to an adcomm in person, she claims that many applicants--some of whom might have otherwise been accepted--hurt their chances by inadvertently revealing personality traits that don't sit well with the adcomm for one reason or another.

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:40 pm

Yeah. That's what sucks. I could come across as overconfident, maybe?

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:18 pm

los blancos wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:All you people complaining about getting rejected, if you really wanted UVA you should have ED. They still give out scholarship money if you ED and if it was your number 1 you should have pulled the ED trigger. They don't owe you anything and you don't have a right to be accepted. They are playing the same numbers game that all of us are.

Sorry for all the WL/rejects but don't blame UVA.

:roll:

ITT someone suggests that a 175/3.8 should ED at UVa UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE

ITT, people feel entitled to a UVA acceptance just because they have ballin numbers.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:21 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
los blancos wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:All you people complaining about getting rejected, if you really wanted UVA you should have ED. They still give out scholarship money if you ED and if it was your number 1 you should have pulled the ED trigger. They don't owe you anything and you don't have a right to be accepted. They are playing the same numbers game that all of us are.

ITT, people feel entitled to a UVA acceptance just because they have ballin numbers.

ITT UVA students can't figure out this isn't selectivity but YP based on UVA not being confident it can attract quality students.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
los blancos wrote:

ITT UVA students can't figure out this isn't selectivity but YP based on UVA not being confident it can attract quality students.

I love how people complain that all law school admissions are strictly numbers based, but as soon as a school shows begins WL or rejecting people with "auto admit numbers" it elicits crazy outrage.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
los blancos wrote:

ITT Cornell rejects troll UVA

A Swift

Postby A Swift » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:26 pm

If all these people have just gotten dinged or watlisted, who is going to get in before they start pulling from the waitlist? Is the class already full?

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
los blancos wrote:

It's probably more fair to say they're not confident they can tell which quality candidates will attend and which won't.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:31 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
los blancos wrote::roll:

I love how people complain that all law school admissions are strictly numbers based, but as soon as a school shows begins WL or rejecting people with "auto admit numbers" it elicits crazy outrage.

After years of number whoring and yield protecting UVa suddenly decides to be holistic only for people with amazing numbers. I don't think so.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:31 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
ITT Cornell rejects troll UVA

TITCR.

stand my ground

Postby stand my ground » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:39 pm

The trouble w/ having been waitlisted today is that UVA would have been my top choice if I was given a decent break on tuition. I am assuming "yield protect" was at play, as my #s are 3.7x and 172.

The impression I get from the website is that loans are my only option, i.e. UVA won't offer scholarship to someone off of the WL. Does that sound correct?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”