UVA 2010, RD

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sandiecohen47

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby sandiecohen47 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:20 pm

Berkeley has seemed to shift away from the GPA focus this year.[/quote]

Their first few sets of admits demonstrate that. But, they haven't left behind their holistic approach as evidenced by the many people with lower LSATs than mine and lower GPAs than Berk's median getting into FR. If my LSAT is what they are putting first, then why haven't I been rejected yet? I also have no idea why I haven't been set to FR. I guess I'll just wait and see?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:28 pm

sandiecohen47 wrote:Berkeley has seemed to shift away from the GPA focus this year.

Their first few sets of admits demonstrate that. But, they haven't left behind their holistic approach as evidenced by the many people with lower LSATs than mine and lower GPAs than Berk's median getting into FR. If my LSAT is what they are putting first, then why haven't I been rejected yet? I also have no idea why I haven't been set to FR. I guess I'll just wait and see?[/quote]

Outright acceptance? Good luck, whatever the case.

I wasn't disparaging your chances. Just saying there are definitely some people with sub 3.6 GPAs that got in, and that was never the case in years past (minus URMs).

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:39 pm

VoidSix wrote:Berkeley has seemed to shift away from the GPA focus this year.

I sure hope so. Maybe they think their yield is going to take a hit because of the tuition stuff? Honestly, that's what I'm holding onto at this point - I'm a slightly under 25th/over75th LSAT splitter (so auto-reject in the past) but a guaranteed enrollment who won't be asking for need-based aid.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:41 pm

boilercat wrote:

I sure hope so.

Pfft Boiler you're in like flint.

sandiecohen47

Postby sandiecohen47 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:47 pm

boilercat wrote:

I sure hope so. Maybe they think their yield is going to take a hit because of the tuition stuff? Honestly, that's what I'm holding onto at this point - I'm a slightly under 25th/over75th LSAT splitter (so auto-reject in the past) but a guaranteed enrollment who won't be asking for need-based aid.

Boilercat, maybe they'll accept us together as a winning combo of GPA/LSAT splitters? Optimism FTW!

But, seriously, both UVA and Berkeley are amazing law schools and to even have been considered for this long is pretty awesome.

ctn8

Postby ctn8 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:11 am

I just got waitlisted with numbers at the 75% for GPA and 25% for LSAT. I immediately sent admissions two additional essays. Does anybody have any idea how long it could take before hearing back from them? I mean, I know it might not be until May/June when deposits start coming in. But does anybody know how likely it is that I'll hear sooner?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:18 am

ctn8 wrote:I just got waitlisted with numbers at the 75% for GPA and 25% for LSAT. I immediately sent admissions two additional essays. Does anybody have any idea how long it could take before hearing back from them? I mean, I know it might not be until May/June when deposits start coming in. But does anybody know how likely it is that I'll hear sooner?

I don't think there is much movement from the UVA waitlist. As in, no movement whatsoever. If you search LSN for WL, Accepted applicants for UVA last year, there weren't any.

I'm sure there are a few, but none of them reported on LSN. Sorry :|

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:19 am

VoidSix wrote:
ctn8 wrote:I just got waitlisted with numbers at the 75% for GPA and 25% for LSAT. I immediately sent admissions two additional essays. Does anybody have any idea how long it could take before hearing back from them? I mean, I know it might not be until May/June when deposits start coming in. But does anybody know how likely it is that I'll hear sooner?

I don't think there is much movement from the UVA waitlist. As in, no movement whatsoever. If you search LSN for WL, Accepted applicants for UVA last year, there weren't any.

Oh hai dreamcrusher/fellow west coaster

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:22 am

Oli wrote:
VoidSix wrote:

Oh hai dreamcrusher/fellow west coaster

Oh haiiiii.

Also, my west coast:

Your west coast

hth <3 <3

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:25 am

VoidSix wrote:
Oh haiiiii.

Also, my west coast:

Your west coast

hth <3 <3

Always good for the lulz void <3

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:26 am

VoidSix wrote:I don't think there is much movement from the UVA waitlist. As in, no movement whatsoever. If you search LSN for WL, Accepted applicants for UVA last year, there weren't any.

I have spoken personally with adcomms about this, and can address it somewhat.

Last year there was a very small number admitted off the WL. I mean very small. The actual total number is more than one but less than five. However, this was an anomaly, the school actually intended to create a smaller class and then fill in the gaps with the WL in order to prevent overenrolling. A lot more people matriculated than expected, though, and they overenrolled anyway.

The year before that they took approximately 50 people off the WL. This is more normal behavior, and they're aiming to have fewer matriculations this year to ensure the class size remains smaller as planned. This means they're intentionally underenrolling, or at least attempting a lot harder than last year to do so, and hoping to fill in the gaps with the WL.

If things go according to plan, it sounds like (this part is just my guess) there could be anywhere from 5 to 50 people taken off the WL this year, depending on whether they get more or fewer matriculations than expected. You have to keep in mind, the school issues about 1,000 acceptances and anticipates many people to go elsewhere. Last year was an anomalous year for them in that a lot more people jumped to UVA than expected, and they've built an assumption that will happen again into this year's cycle. If it does happen again, their fewer acceptances will mean they still underenroll slightly; if it doesn't, they'll need even more people off the WL.

Hope all this helps. tl;dr version: Last year was an anomaly and I would expect at least a small shot at getting in off the WL if you really try for it this year.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:37 am

vanwinkle wrote:
VoidSix wrote:I don't think there is much movement from the UVA waitlist. As in, no movement whatsoever. If you search LSN for WL, Accepted applicants for UVA last year, there weren't any.

I have spoken personally with adcomms about this, and can address it somewhat.

Last year there was a very small number admitted off the WL. I mean very small. The actual total number is more than one but less than five. However, this was an anomaly, the school actually intended to create a smaller class and then fill in the gaps with the WL in order to prevent overenrolling. A lot more people matriculated than expected, though, and they overenrolled anyway.

The year before that they took approximately 50 people off the WL. This is more normal behavior, and they're aiming to have fewer matriculations this year to ensure the class size remains smaller as planned. This means they're intentionally underenrolling, or at least attempting a lot harder than last year to do so, and hoping to fill in the gaps with the WL.

If things go according to plan, it sounds like (this part is just my guess) there could be anywhere from 5 to 50 people taken off the WL this year, depending on whether they get more or fewer matriculations than expected. You have to keep in mind, the school issues about 1,000 acceptances and anticipates many people to go elsewhere. Last year was an anomalous year for them in that a lot more people jumped to UVA than expected, and they've built an assumption that will happen again into this year's cycle. If it does happen again, their fewer acceptances will mean they still underenroll slightly; if it doesn't, they'll need even more people off the WL.

Hope all this helps. tl;dr version: Last year was an anomaly and I would expect at least a small shot at getting in off the WL if you really try for it this year.

Also, the ED program will probably help them with the over enrollment problem somewhat as they can be more picky later in the cycle.

bwana73

Postby bwana73 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:46 pm

Has anyone heard back that applied post December LSAT? I feel with my numbers I have a pretty good shot at UVA, but am a little paranoid that with the new ED system and submitting at the end of December I've but myself in a situation where they just wont have enough spots by the time they get around to reviewing me. :?
Last edited by bwana73 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:23 pm

Anyone else have their complete status jump today? This has happened at several schools now and what does it mean?

GobiasIndustries

Postby GobiasIndustries » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:46 pm

barrinmb wrote:Anyone else have their complete status jump today? This has happened at several schools now and what does it mean?

Nope. Still 10/27. Ouch!

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:50 pm

GobiasIndustries wrote:
barrinmb wrote:Anyone else have their complete status jump today? This has happened at several schools now and what does it mean?

Nope. Still 10/27. Ouch!

10/23. Ouch is right. I mean, does it really have to be dragged into a 4th month of waiting?

louboutin

Postby louboutin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:36 pm

I have been under review since early November and have heard nothing from UVA. I like the school but I never wrote a "why UVA" essay or anything like that. Now I'm worried it's going to bite me in the ass.

yours

Postby yours » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:33 pm

im_blue wrote:
yours wrote:
Chromakey wrote:
tarheel wrote:Just got off the phone with Jason Dugas...I'M IN!!!

SO excited!! I submitted 11/10.

Congrats!!! Hopefully, I'll join you once they recieve my ED form :)
did you fax it? they accept faxes.
Can you confirm from personal experience?
i didn't ED, but that was what the secretary said.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:34 pm

louboutin wrote:I have been under review since early November and have heard nothing from UVA. I like the school but I never wrote a "why UVA" essay or anything like that. Now I'm worried it's going to bite me in the ass.

It wouldn't hurt to send them one now.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:11 pm

If I got WLed with a 3.65gpa, what LSAT do we think I need to get this Feb (on Sat) to get in off the WL? Would 170 cut it or would it have to be more like a 171/172?

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:14 pm

imisscollege wrote:If I got WLed with a 3.65gpa, what LSAT do we think I need to get this Feb (on Sat) to get in off the WL? Would 170 cut it or would it have to be more like a 171/172?

171 I would think, though you would have a shot with a 170 (of course nothing is guaranteed, they may not take very many people off). What is your LSAT now, if you don't mind?

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:18 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:22 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
imisscollege wrote:If I got WLed with a 3.65gpa, what LSAT do we think I need to get this Feb (on Sat) to get in off the WL? Would 170 cut it or would it have to be more like a 171/172?

171 I would think, though you would have a shot with a 170 (of course nothing is guaranteed, they may not take very many people off). What is your LSAT now, if you don't mind?

168. and the gpa is not exactly 3.65 i was just saying that cause it's easier. it's more like 3.7DG (great UG) and 3.6cum with what i'm told is a very effective addendum

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:24 pm

imisscollege wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:

168. and the gpa is not exactly 3.65 i was just saying that cause it's easier. it's more like 3.7DG (great UG) and 3.6cum with what i'm told is a very effective addendum

We're basically numbers twins...but I am not retaking in February, so if I do get on the WL it will be a very long shot to get in. I switched my app to ED last Thursday.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:33 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
imisscollege wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:

We're basically numbers twins...but I am not retaking in February, so if I do get on the WL it will be a very long shot to get in. I switched my app to ED last Thursday.

I was planning on waiting until I got my new lsat score and hopefully was able to visit to decide to do that. Do you think I'm hurting myself by not doing it yet?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”