UVA 2010, RD

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kronk

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Kronk » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:13 pm

maggiebre wrote:
VoidSix wrote:Apparently the 124th word of my PS was awesome. In at UVA with a 90K scholarship!

Congrats! Our cycles are pretty similar (then again our numbers are identical). Short of HYS are you leaning towards any 1 school?

Haha. Yeah, both James Wilson candidates, pretty much identical acceptance dates (minus the fact I haven't heard from CLS yet). Leaning towards Berkeley right now, although UVA with 90,000 is a pretty good deal, especially with Berkeley's rising tuition. I want to do PI, so I'll definitely visit NYU too, as NYU and Berkeley are probably the two best schools for that. Right now, everything is still in the running except for Duke, Penn and Chicago (unless UChi throws some serious money at me, which is unlikely). Stanford acceptance is a sudden death for my cycle though--withdrawals everywhere.

pearl_earrings

Postby pearl_earrings » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:16 pm

toolshed wrote:I don't believe I did. His official title is "Director of Admissions", and the word Dean isn't on his profile page.

Thank you!!

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:38 pm

rofl, WL at UVA today. in a perverse way one of the more satisfying results of my cycle

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:12 pm

How long after the phone call do they send you an email?

Walfredo47

Postby Walfredo47 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:47 pm

VoidSix wrote:How long after the phone call do they send you an email?

I think the protocol is they send you an email first, asking you to call them (if you are talking about the admissions phone call and not something else)

I received an email this morning; I submitted my application in September. "All's Well that End's Well" 8)

thatguyyouknow

Postby thatguyyouknow » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:49 pm

I got the phone call first and then the email about 5 mins after the phone conversation. All the email said was congratulations and to call if I had any questions though.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:56 pm

Walfredo47 wrote:

I think the protocol is they send you an email first, asking you to call them (if you are talking about the admissions phone call and not something else)

I received an email this morning; I submitted my application in September. "All's Well that End's Well" 8)

I meant like the "you're admitted and this is your scholarship" email.

Walfredo47

Postby Walfredo47 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:57 pm

VoidSix wrote:
Walfredo47 wrote:

I meant like the "you're admitted and this is your scholarship" email.

I figured. Congrats on the scholarship!

ryguy

Postby ryguy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:09 pm

Nothing for me yet. File complete pending review/decision 01-06.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:12 pm

Walfredo47 wrote:I figured. Congrats on the scholarship!

Thanks. Did he mention when ASW was to you?

Walfredo47

Postby Walfredo47 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:17 pm

VoidSix wrote:
Walfredo47 wrote:I figured. Congrats on the scholarship!

Thanks. Did he mention when ASW was to you?

UVA ASW'S:
Friday, March 19th
Friday, April 9th

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:42 pm

VoidSix wrote: I meant like the "you're admitted and this is your scholarship" email.

I think I got the call on Thursday and the package the next Tuesday (so like 5 days) - there were handwritten notes from both Cordel Faulk and Jason Trujillo.

VoidSix wrote: Haha. Yeah, both James Wilson candidates, pretty much identical acceptance dates (minus the fact I haven't heard from CLS yet). Leaning towards Berkeley right now, although UVA with 90,000 is a pretty good deal, especially with Berkeley's rising tuition. I want to do PI, so I'll definitely visit NYU too, as NYU and Berkeley are probably the two best schools for that. Right now, everything is still in the running except for Duke, Penn and Chicago (unless UChi throws some serious money at me, which is unlikely). Stanford acceptance is a sudden death for my cycle though--withdrawals everywhere.

I'm interested in PI too, but I might take the money and run. I'm still hoping Cal pulls through with something though.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:44 pm

maggiebre wrote:
VoidSix wrote: I meant like the "you're admitted and this is your scholarship" email.

I think I got the call on Thursday and the package the next Tuesday (so like 5 days) - there were handwritten notes from both Cordel Faulk and Jason Trujillo.

VoidSix wrote: Haha. Yeah, both James Wilson candidates, pretty much identical acceptance dates (minus the fact I haven't heard from CLS yet). Leaning towards Berkeley right now, although UVA with 90,000 is a pretty good deal, especially with Berkeley's rising tuition. I want to do PI, so I'll definitely visit NYU too, as NYU and Berkeley are probably the two best schools for that. Right now, everything is still in the running except for Duke, Penn and Chicago (unless UChi throws some serious money at me, which is unlikely). Stanford acceptance is a sudden death for my cycle though--withdrawals everywhere.

I'm interested in PI too, but I might take the money and run. I'm still hoping Cal pulls through with something though.

They don't give much merit-based aid. But even with 90K at UVA, I figured that the total cost would be just under 100K. So that's half of what it would be at Berkeley, but with a terrible LRAP that would probably still make Berkeley the better option if you know you want PI. Yikes. This definitely complicated things.

Is it possible to get instate tuition for 2L and 3L at UVA?

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:46 pm

VoidSix wrote:
maggiebre wrote:

They don't give much merit-based aid. But even with 90K at UVA, I figured that the total cost would be just under 100K. So that's half of what it would be at Berkeley, but with a terrible LRAP that would probably still make Berkeley the better option if you know you want PI. Yikes. This definitely complicated things.

Not really

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:51 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sirchristaylor

Postby sirchristaylor » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:55 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
VoidSix wrote:
maggiebre wrote:

Not really

It's possible if you move to VirgInya and establish residency a few months before law school starts.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:07 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:In state is only $5K less per year. Not really a big deal.

Eh. $10,000 is like two years less paying off loans.

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:08 pm

exactly what I was thinking.

10k isn't that much anyway.

You have to reside in va a year before: paid taxes, changed your driver's license, your voter's registration. I don't think it's worth the hassel. You'll be out more just trying to move earlier.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:13 pm

VoidSix wrote:Is it possible to get instate tuition for 2L and 3L at UVA?

Marry a resident.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:23 pm

VoidSix wrote:So that's half of what it would be at Berkeley, but with a terrible LRAP that would probably still make Berkeley the better option if you know you want PI.

Doesn't that new government program create a pretty good LRAP for graduates in all schools? 10 years, 10% of income/yr, and no more debt? Would you get a better deal at Berkley?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:42 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
VoidSix wrote:So that's half of what it would be at Berkeley, but with a terrible LRAP that would probably still make Berkeley the better option if you know you want PI.

Doesn't that new government program create a pretty good LRAP for graduates in all schools? 10 years, 10% of income/yr, and no more debt? Would you get a better deal at Berkley?

No. But Berkeley's LRAP isn't contingent on spending ten years in PI. If you're going directly through the school, Berkeley's LRAP gives you the highest take-home income in the T14 aside from Stanford and Yale. UVA's is unfortunately one of the worst.

astro1819

Postby astro1819 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:55 pm

showNprove wrote:
VoidSix wrote:Is it possible to get instate tuition for 2L and 3L at UVA?

Marry a resident.

Genius.

qbid250ks

Postby qbid250ks » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:25 pm

Waitlisted today via email. 163, 3.85, strong softs.

Is there anything in particular that I should do after being waitlisted (besides sending an LOCI)

Thanks for your input!

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:31 pm

qbid250ks wrote:Waitlisted today via email. 163, 3.85, strong softs.

Is there anything in particular that I should do after being waitlisted (besides sending an LOCI)

Thanks for your input!

Anything you can do that shows your sincere interest, without being a stalker. Go visit the school, take a tour, meet with someone from admissions, etc. Most people with your numbers wouldn't even have gotten onto the waitlist, so there must be something about you they seriously like. Take advantage of that and show your interest.

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:33 pm

dakatz wrote:
qbid250ks wrote:Waitlisted today via email. 163, 3.85, strong softs.

Thanks for your input!

Anything you can do that shows your sincere interest, without being a stalker. Go visit the school, take a tour, meet with someone from admissions, etc. Most people with your numbers wouldn't even have gotten onto the waitlist, so there must be something about you they seriously like. Take advantage of that and show your interest.

+1. If you're still in school, focus on increasing your GPA this semester. Even +.01 puts you over their median and could make you ripe for being plucked off the WL this summer.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”