UVA 2010, RD

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
triplecats

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby triplecats » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:57 pm

In! via email/phone call today.

Very, very happy about this. Best of luck to those of you still waiting.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:58 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
showNprove wrote:
washingtonian wrote:wow i just checked my status again and i was also updated to "File Complete, Pending Review/Decision 1/20/2010."

Does this mean it's too late to send in something extra to my app?

No. Just contract Jason Dugas and ask for permission. They'll definitely let you, but it's nice to give them a heads up and show your interest.

Freudian slip? :wink:

lol more like clumsy fingers, but contracting would definitely help more than contacting

adrib

Postby adrib » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:51 pm

my status date changed to today, but my status is the same. anyone else?

also, just to confirm, the seat deposit thing has always been there, right?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:54 pm

triplecats wrote:In! via email/phone call today.

Very, very happy about this. Best of luck to those of you still waiting.

Lol guess you didn't need that follow-up email/LOCI after all. Congrats!!

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:59 pm

Last edited by 5ky on Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

triplecats

Postby triplecats » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:20 pm

5ky wrote:Definitely broke down and sent them a LOCI-style email. I also asked if getting another targeted LOR would help at all at this point in the cycle. We'll see if that has any bearing on what/when I hear.

If you're borderline in some way, it might. I have no idea if it's a coincidence or not, but I received my acceptance today after sending an email this Monday to ask if there was anything I could do. I was in before I ever finished typing up my LOCI.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:28 pm

Last edited by 5ky on Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:31 pm

5ky wrote:
triplecats wrote:
5ky wrote:Definitely broke down and sent them a LOCI-style email. I also asked if getting another targeted LOR would help at all at this point in the cycle. We'll see if that has any bearing on what/when I hear.

If you're borderline in some way, it might. I have no idea if it's a coincidence or not, but I received my acceptance today after sending an email this Monday to ask if there was anything I could do. I was in before I ever finished typing up my LOCI.

I have solidly at-75th stats, but a 171/3.8 got waitlisted today, which spooked me sufficiently into emailing them to reaffirm that they are still my top choice.

Damn! That's a rough WL. I'm a numbers twin with you, 5ky, so maybe I should get on this e-mail bandwagon soon. Only thing is that I applied much later than you, so I don't want to seem like I'm nagging. You know, don't be this guy and all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0PUrNwvvBk

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:31 pm

Just out of curiosity, how do you say "UVA is my #1 choice" in a LOCI, but not ED? I would love to be able to consider UVA, but I can't tell them in a letter that I will immediately put in a seat deposit upon acceptance. Just wondering what the sentiment of these letters are...

gobucks8284

Postby gobucks8284 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:11 pm

Just to let everyone know, I sent an email to admissions that basically said, "UVA is my top choice, but I can't ED, because it's very likely that I'll get a 70k+ offer from another T10 school. Will not EDing negatively affect my chances?" I then got an invite to call Cordell Faulk, who was extremely nice and told me that my application was very strong, and that the virtue of EDing in my case would be to hear back sooner. He said not EDing would in no way affect my chances, and that he understood my desire to hold off until I got word on merit aid from other schools. I got the impression that I was going to get in, but he didn't say so definitively over the phone.

I relate our conversation not to brag, but to caution that my particular case may not be true across the board (stats are in my profile). They might be, but I'm not sure.

Also, the phone call was definitely heartening, but in the back of my mind I was hoping for the "I'll give you 90k right now if you withdraw all other offers." That didn't happen, but I still think that there's a good chance I will get good news when they finally do make a decision.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:18 pm

gobucks8284 wrote:Just to let everyone know, I sent an email to admissions that basically said, "UVA is my top choice, but I can't ED, because it's very likely that I'll get a 70k+ offer from another T10 school. Will not EDing negatively affect my chances?" I then got an invite to call Cordell Faulk, who was extremely nice and told me that my application was very strong, and that the virtue of EDing in my case would be to hear back sooner. He said not EDing would in no way affect my chances, and that he understood my desire to hold off until I got word on merit aid from other schools. I got the impression that I was going to get in, but he didn't say so definitively over the phone.

Eh, with your numbers I would only be nervous about getting YPed. I would say the positive you gleaned is that he'll probably take your name down and maybe you'll be less likely to get YPed because you've shown interest. Prolly not a bad idea to tell them you like their school but want $$$, esp with your numbers. Kind of pre-leveraging.

I'm in a similar situation as I would probably take $$$ at MVP over anything but HSB. That said, I don't have your numbers. :mrgreen:
Last edited by los blancos on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:20 pm

gobucks8284 wrote:Just to let everyone know, I sent an email to admissions that basically said, "UVA is my top choice, but I can't ED, because it's very likely that I'll get a 70k+ offer from another T10 school. Will not EDing negatively affect my chances?" I then got an invite to call Cordell Faulk, who was extremely nice and told me that my application was very strong, and that the virtue of EDing in my case would be to hear back sooner. He said not EDing would in no way affect my chances, and that he understood my desire to hold off until I got word on merit aid from other schools. I got the impression that I was going to get in, but he didn't say so definitively over the phone.

I relate our conversation not to brag, but to caution that my particular case may not be true across the board (stats are in my profile). They might be, but I'm not sure.

Also, the phone call was definitely heartening, but in the back of my mind I was hoping for the "I'll give you 90k right now if you withdraw all other offers." That didn't happen, but I still think that there's a good chance I will get good news when they finally do make a decision.

With a 3.9/173, you're willing to give up Harvard or Columbia for a T10 with 70k?

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:32 pm

gobucks8284 wrote:Just to let everyone know, I sent an email to admissions that basically said, "UVA is my top choice, but I can't ED, because it's very likely that I'll get a 70k+ offer from another T10 school. Will not EDing negatively affect my chances?".

If you're not going to ED, it seems like this sort of call can only hurt your chances. You've basically told UVA that, given your circumstances, they might not be your first choice. UVA might have already suspected as much based on your numbers, but now you have removed all doubt. Wouldn't it be better to stay silent until they release their large batch of RD decisions (which, according to current UVA 1Ls, was done at the very end of January last year)? It seems like people are freaking out a little early.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:34 pm

Dignan wrote:If you're not going to ED, it seems like this sort of call can only hurt your chances. You've basically told UVA that, given your circumstances, they might not be your first choice. UVA might have already suspected as much based on your numbers, but now you have removed all doubt.

I totally disagree with this. UVA is notorious for YPing folks with numbers that good, and expressing that he would take an offer with sufficient money attached may encourage them to offer it to him instead of just WL him like they do many other people with his numbers.

However, I do agree with this:

im_blue wrote:With a 3.9/173, you're willing to give up Harvard or Columbia for a T10 with 70k?

Muddy

Postby Muddy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:35 pm

triplecats wrote:

Triplecat,
What are your #'s?

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:38 pm

Dignan wrote:
gobucks8284 wrote:Just to let everyone know, I sent an email to admissions that basically said, "UVA is my top choice, but I can't ED, because it's very likely that I'll get a 70k+ offer from another T10 school. Will not EDing negatively affect my chances?".

If you're not going to ED, it seems like this sort of call can only hurt your chances. You've basically told UVA that, given your circumstances, they might not be your first choice.

TBH I think it depends on how the actual conversation went, but to me it means something more like "I have no first choice and it's going to depend on $$$"

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:39 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Dignan wrote:If you're not going to ED, it seems like this sort of call can only hurt your chances. You've basically told UVA that, given your circumstances, they might not be your first choice. UVA might have already suspected as much based on your numbers, but now you have removed all doubt.

I totally disagree with this. UVA is notorious for YPing folks with numbers that good, and expressing that he would take an offer with sufficient money attached may encourage them to offer it to him instead of just WL him like they do many other people with his numbers.

I have heard that adcomms really dislike pre-decision communications in which the applicant states that he or she would attend the school if an offer came with $$$. But if UVA is different, then I stand corrected.

gobucks8284

Postby gobucks8284 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:32 am

I really don't think I hurt my chances. A school being your first choice is one thing, but that's all other factors being equal. Let's say school X and school Y each give admission offers, but taking those offers would mean 170k in debt. School X is my first choice, while school Y is my second choice. Attending school X obviously makes sense in this situation, but let's say school X means 170k in debt, while school Y means 100k in debt (or even better, 80ish), that obviously changes the equation. I thought Cordell Faulk seemed incredibly understanding, but maybe he was pissed and he's just a great actor.

Also, I didn't say anything about committing in the case of an offer. I was hoping for that (as a complete pipedream..didn't solicit at all) but the purpose of my email was to to let UVA know that everything being equal, they are my first choice. I didn't want the lack of an ED form to look like a lack of interest. I even apologized for the boldness of the email, and was told that the question wasn't bold at all, it was actually a good question. So I think I'm fine. With all due respect, though, I think it's ludicrous to suppose that for a school to qualify as "top choice", it must be your top choice regardless of financial offers from other schools.

And to answer the other questions. The economy is shitty, and it's shitty even for people with T5 law degrees. I've made what I think is an educated guess that if I bust my ass, I'll have an excellent shot at clerkships at UVA, and in the event I fail, I'll be able to practice where I want to (the midwest, regardless of whether I clerk or not). I also love UVA's location, and I have friends there. Being happy at law school factors pretty heavily into the equation for me, so yes, I'd take UVA with 70k over anywhere with sticker. Berate me if you will, but I have friends at Chicago, Columbia, Harvard, UVA and GW, and they've all confirmed that the job market is shockingly bad. Give me a nice job, with a good law school experience, the chance at a clerkship and low debt, and I'll be very happy. (I'm also extremely poor, and would have no help if I found myself with a lot of debt and no/bad job.)

sam.emton

Postby sam.emton » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:04 pm

To change the subject...interesting stats accordin to LSN.

Last year, 19 170s with 3.85+ GPAs applied, 17 were accepted, 2 were WL. All but the 2 waitlists and 2 others found out at or before today's date last cycle. This year, 19 170s with 3.85+ GPAs applied, only 7 have been accepted and 12 are still waiting.

Last year, 14 171s with 3.85+ GPAs applied, 13 were accepted, 1 was WL. 11 of the 13 found out at or before today's date last cycle. This year, 22 171s with 3.85+ GPAs applied, only 5 have been accepted and 16 are still waiting (one withdrew).

Last year, 13 172s with 3.85+ GPAs applied, 12 were accepted, 1 was WL. But only two found out before today's date (only one was a late applicant). This year 4 of the 10 with 172s and 3.85+ have already been accepted.

Last year, 10 173s with 3.85+ GPAs applied, 8 were accepted, 2 were WL. 6 of the 8 found out before today's date. This year 4 of the 10 with 172s and 3.85+ have already been accepted. This year, 12 173s with 3.85+ GPAs applied, only 4 have been accepted and 4 are still waiting (2 withdrew).

Based on these statistics, is there anything people in the low 170s can do to increase chances of admission (other than sending in LOCIs)?

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:07 pm

sam.emton wrote:To change the subject...interesting stats accordin to LSN.

Last year, 19 170s with 3.85+ GPAs applied, 17 were accepted, 2 were WL. All but the 2 waitlists and 2 others found out at or before today's date last cycle. This year, 19 170s with 3.85+ GPAs applied, only 7 have been accepted and 12 are still waiting.

Last year, 14 171s with 3.85+ GPAs applied, 13 were accepted, 1 was WL. 11 of the 13 found out at or before today's date last cycle. This year, 22 171s with 3.85+ GPAs applied, only 5 have been accepted and 16 are still waiting (one withdrew).

Last year, 13 172s with 3.85+ GPAs applied, 12 were accepted, 1 was WL. But only two found out before today's date (only one was a late applicant). This year 4 of the 10 with 172s and 3.85+ have already been accepted.

Last year, 10 173s with 3.85+ GPAs applied, 8 were accepted, 2 were WL. 6 of the 8 found out before today's date. This year 4 of the 10 with 172s and 3.85+ have already been accepted. This year, 12 173s with 3.85+ GPAs applied, only 4 have been accepted and 4 are still waiting (2 withdrew).

Based on these statistics, is there anything people in the low 170s can do to increase chances of admission (other than sending in LOCIs)?

Honestly, I think they're just waiting to unload a lot of decisions. I think the 170-172 people will probably avoid the YP (maybe not 172s), but will just get decisions later.

holborn

Postby holborn » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:15 pm

I went back a few pages but couldnt find anything, so I'll ask.

What are the different status checker updates? Mine has read "file complete, pending review/decision" for a few weeks now and then updated to today's date (this happened today, obviously) but the status message was the same. Is there an 'under review' status or is the next step 'decision'?

lsathalon

Postby lsathalon » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:21 pm

julesm2200 wrote:I went back a few pages but couldnt find anything, so I'll ask.

What are the different status checker updates? Mine has read "file complete, pending review/decision" for a few weeks now and then updated to today's date (this happened today, obviously) but the status message was the same. Is there an 'under review' status or is the next step 'decision'?

file complete, pending review/decision is the last step. Your status checker will change to "Congratulations!" once you get in, but not until after you are notified.

gobucks8284

Postby gobucks8284 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:25 pm

I really just think they're waiting to see how this ED thing pans out. I wonder if the stats you cited hold true for the 168s and 169s. They probably do, and thus I think it's safe to say that UVA is taking an entirely different approach to when/how they admit, not who they admit.

southxii

Postby southxii » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:38 pm

I just switched yesterday from RD to ED. Anyone know if they get notification on the status checker of this?

Does the 15 day rule still apply this late for ED?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:46 pm

southxii wrote:I just switched yesterday from RD to ED. Anyone know if they get notification on the status checker of this?

Does the 15 day rule still apply this late for ED?

Yes, the 15 day rule still applies, starting from the day they receive your ED form. It doesn't appear on the status checker but you can call to confirm they received it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”