UVA 2010, RD Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kareenak888

New

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Post by kareenak888 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:18 am

5ky wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
5ky wrote:
kareenak888 wrote:yes. someone did it, and I think they accepted him/her.
If we're thinking of the same person, they had changed their RD app to ED and sent it in, but got a WL before the school processed the ED app.
its essentially the same thing

How is that the same thing?

A: Change to ED before you receive your decision, they take it into account.

B: Change to ED after you get your decision.
In the sense, you can ask to be reconsidered with the ED agreement. Just send them an email when you hear back. It just might take you off the waitlist.

kareenak888

New

Post by kareenak888 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:18 am

5ky wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
5ky wrote:
kareenak888 wrote:yes. someone did it, and I think they accepted him/her.
If we're thinking of the same person, they had changed their RD app to ED and sent it in, but got a WL before the school processed the ED app.
its essentially the same thing

How is that the same thing?

A: Change to ED before you receive your decision, they take it into account.

B: Change to ED after you get your decision.
In the sense, you can ask to be reconsidered with the ED agreement. Just send them an email when you hear back. It just might take you off the waitlist.

heathbar88

New

Post by heathbar88 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:00 pm

kareenak888 wrote:
MURPH wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
MURPH wrote:Waitlisted today. Splitter 175, 2.98 with 12 years of work and military experience.
I'm not sure if you can switch to ED after you've been waitlisted, can you?
yes. someone did it, and I think they accepted him/her.
I think you're referring to me and that wasn't exactly the situation. I sent my ED agreement (and an email saying it was on the way) before I was waitlisted..but they'd overlooked the email & hadn't received my agreement when they waitlisted me. I asked about it and because I sent it before I was waitlisted, they put my app in for reconsideration and I was accepted.

rsg87

New

Post by rsg87 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:03 pm

GargamelITT wrote:i've been "pending decision" since 10/05 and i haven't heard shit

anyone got me beat?
I am "pending decision" the exact same day. I am actually surprised they haven't rendered some sort of decision yet. This cycle has been crazy

triplecats

New

Post by triplecats » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:06 pm

App submitted 9/9/9, decision pending since god knows when. Is it appropriate to send a LOCI if no decision has come by yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:20 pm

I am becoming more disillusioned with UVA every day. I feel as if they are just waiting for me to submit an ED contract but that's just not gonna happen. Anyone else just getting annoyed with this admissions system?

bluejayk

Bronze

Post by bluejayk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:24 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:I am becoming more disillusioned with UVA every day. I feel as if they are just waiting for me to submit an ED contract but that's just not gonna happen. Anyone else just getting annoyed with this admissions system?
Yes, but honestly, I think I would get annoyed no matter what happened, unless I got fee waivers at every top 14 schools and admissions offers with full scholarships with stipends before Christmas. It's a stressful time, and things that wouldn't normally bother you will now.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:25 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:I am becoming more disillusioned with UVA every day. I feel as if they are just waiting for me to submit an ED contract but that's just not gonna happen. Anyone else just getting annoyed with this admissions system?
If I had to guess, I would say they're almost certainly going to give you a waitlist offer. I'm a 173/3.45-3.5 and they gave me one a few days ago, after waiting more than three months for a decision. The whole thing annoyed me. Withdrew within five minutes of receiving the e-mail.

bluejayk

Bronze

Post by bluejayk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:28 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
If I had to guess, I would say they're almost certainly going to give you a waitlist offer. I'm a 173/3.45-3.5 and they gave me one a few days ago, after waiting more than three months for a decision. The whole thing annoyed me. Withdrew within five minutes of receiving the e-mail.
Must have felt awesomely vindicating when you got the Michigan scholarship after UVA's waitlist. I have similar numbers to you, so you've sparked hope for me at M.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:36 pm

bluejayk wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Must have felt awesomely vindicating when you got the Michigan scholarship after UVA's waitlist. I have similar numbers to you, so you've sparked hope for me at M.
It was the Michigan scholarship that came first, making the UVA withdrawal an incredibly easy decision. I didn't write a Why UVA and I don't entirely blame that for WL'ing me, I just sort of felt the same way as rockchalk about the long wait for a decision and the new ED deadline possibly playing a part in that.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:39 pm

This admissions system is a direct result of our behavior as applicants. What used to be people often applying to three or four schools has exploded to people applying to ten or more. It's amazing how many folks say they'll apply to the entire T14 and then weigh prestige over $$$ after they see how much money they get. This puts the schools in a really bad place because we've all learned how to game the system by now and they have no way of knowing based on regular RD applications how interested a student is.

This is just a reaction to that, similar to the way Penn WPs almost everyone who doesn't write a "Why Penn?" essay. It's a way to gauge the seriousness of the applicant's intent, and it's something they wouldn't have to do if there weren't so many students gaming them with the way they used to run it.

bluejayk

Bronze

Post by bluejayk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:41 pm

Helmholtz wrote:It was the Michigan scholarship that came first, making the UVA withdrawal an incredibly easy decision. I didn't write a Why UVA and I don't entirely blame that for WL'ing me, I just sort of felt the same way as rockchalk about the long wait for a decision and the new ED deadline possibly playing a part in that.
Ah, I guess I just read the Michigan thread after the UVA thread.

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:50 pm

it's like a girl you take out and pay for dates but she can't decide if she wants to sleep with you but keeps giving you hope (status updates) but then after a while she stops even doing that and you can see no end in sight. Then she says she wants a serious commitment (ED) before it can happen but you feel that you can't justify making that commitment. Then a slut (Michigan) comes around and gives it up and gives you money. Who are you going to go with? I have a three date policy where if a girl doesn't give it up after that I will start the process of moving on. I think I will apply that to admissions too.

I realize this makes me sound like an ass but it's just how I am. Michigan +45k sounds better than Virginia right now for sure.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:52 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
This admissions system is a direct result of our behavior as applicants. What used to be people often applying to three or four schools has exploded to people applying to ten or more. It's amazing how many folks say they'll apply to the entire T14 and then weigh prestige over $$$ after they see how much money they get. This puts the schools in a really bad place because we've all learned how to game the system by now and they have no way of knowing based on regular RD applications how interested a student is.

This is just a reaction to that, similar to the way Penn WPs almost everyone who doesn't write a "Why Penn?" essay. It's a way to gauge the seriousness of the applicant's intent, and it's something they wouldn't have to do if there weren't so many students gaming them with the way they used to run it.
I don't think applying a bunch of places so we can weigh more offers (or possibly just make sure we get admitted to one) is "gaming the system." If anybody's "gaming the system" it's UVA and instead of YP'ing people who don't write a Why UVA, they can YP people now who decide not to ED. With the increased competitiveness, it doesn't make sense to only apply to three or four schools. Applicants are mostly just covering their ass, not trying to take an unfair advantage over anybody.

law_lover

New

Post by law_lover » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:54 pm

Has anyone's current status date updated to 1/18/2010? It still has the same narrative, but the date has changed. Just curious.

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:55 pm

law_lover wrote:Has anyone's current status date updated to 1/18/2010? It still has the same narrative, but the date has changed. Just curious.
Just read my last post and you will understand.

law_lover

New

Post by law_lover » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:59 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:
law_lover wrote:Has anyone's current status date updated to 1/18/2010? It still has the same narrative, but the date has changed. Just curious.
lol Thanks. I gave the serious commitment though (which is probably why it was updated). The worst case scenario is that I receive a prompt rejection.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:00 pm

law_lover wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:
lol Thanks. I gave the serious commitment though (which is probably why it was updated). The worst case scenario is that I receive a prompt rejection.
It seems that most people that have ED'd have heard very shortly after. My guess is that there is a pile of apps with a post-it that says if ED, accept... if not, waitlist.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:08 pm

Helmholtz wrote: I don't think applying a bunch of places so we can weigh more offers (or possibly just make sure we get admitted to one) is "gaming the system." If anybody's "gaming the system" it's UVA and instead of YP'ing people who don't write a Why UVA, they can YP people now who decide not to ED. With the increased competitiveness, it doesn't make sense to only apply to three or four schools. Applicants are mostly just covering their ass, not trying to take an unfair advantage over anybody.
I didn't mean to say that what students are doing now is unfair. It's fair, its what makes the most sense for students to do. But given that behavior I also think this is what is fair and makes sense for UVA to do. It has its advantages, too, just not to the same set of students that had the advantage before, and it's those people who are the ones who are upset.

My point was not that anything is unfair, but in fact the opposite. This is a game, and UVA's move makes perfect sense, given the increased number of applicants and the increase in applications per person. It's an unsurprising outcome and it's totally transparent. It's just another logical move in the game which we're all playing.

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:15 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Helmholtz wrote: I don't think applying a bunch of places so we can weigh more offers (or possibly just make sure we get admitted to one) is "gaming the system." If anybody's "gaming the system" it's UVA and instead of YP'ing people who don't write a Why UVA, they can YP people now who decide not to ED. With the increased competitiveness, it doesn't make sense to only apply to three or four schools. Applicants are mostly just covering their ass, not trying to take an unfair advantage over anybody.
I didn't mean to say that what students are doing now is unfair. It's fair, its what makes the most sense for students to do. But given that behavior I also think this is what is fair and makes sense for UVA to do. It has its advantages, too, just not to the same set of students that had the advantage before, and it's those people who are the ones who are upset.

My point was not that anything is unfair, but in fact the opposite. This is a game, and UVA's move makes perfect sense, given the increased number of applicants and the increase in applications per person. It's an unsurprising outcome and it's totally transparent. It's just another logical move in the game which we're all playing.
It's also a fantastic way to bait people into this decision and not give them a scholarship that way they can bundle more full rides to crazy number candidates and increase their ranking. I have a feeling the majority of their class will be ED and I bet very few of those people will get any money. Maybe a few, but not many.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:16 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

Yes, but to me, this new no-ED-deadline thing smacks of a replacement/supplement for a Why UVA. It just feels like it's putting some applicants in a less than optimal position who might be better served by not ED'ing, but feel pressured to do so.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:20 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote: I didn't mean to say that what students are doing now is unfair. It's fair, its what makes the most sense for students to do. But given that behavior I also think this is what is fair and makes sense for UVA to do. It has its advantages, too, just not to the same set of students that had the advantage before, and it's those people who are the ones who are upset.

It's also a fantastic way to bait people into this decision and not give them a scholarship that way they can bundle more full rides to crazy number candidates and increase their ranking. I have a feeling the majority of their class will be ED and I bet very few of those people will get any money. Maybe a few, but not many.
UVA is a school that says they do not take ED status into consideration when issuing scholarships, and I have heard of ED folks getting significant $$ (up to half tuition at least) before. If UVA has such a large ED enrollment this year it's likely more ED kids will get $$.

UVA has a financial incentive to continue this, also, since it gives people more motivation to apply ED.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:25 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote: I didn't mean to say that what students are doing now is unfair. It's fair, its what makes the most sense for students to do. But given that behavior I also think this is what is fair and makes sense for UVA to do. It has its advantages, too, just not to the same set of students that had the advantage before, and it's those people who are the ones who are upset.

UVA is a school that says they do not take ED status into consideration when issuing scholarships, and I have heard of ED folks getting significant $$ (up to half tuition at least) before. If UVA has such a large ED enrollment this year it's likely more ED kids will get $$.

UVA has a financial incentive to continue this, also, since it gives people more motivation to apply ED.
True, the ED applicants might still get money, but they have no chance to compare offers. $10k/yr to an ED admit might be nice, but what's to say that he/she wouldn't have been able to pull $16k/yr at Michigan or full ride at GULC? And I know that applicants are expected to appreciate these risks when they ED, but it feels partly like an unnecessary risk partially foisted on them by UVA's hyper-agressive YP practices.

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:27 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:

What incentive does UVA have to give ED kids money? Guess what, they have to go no matter what so why wouldn't UVA use the money they will save that way and offer more to crazy numbered people? It would make very little financial sense not to do so, not to mention they could secure more high numbered people effectively increasing their selectivity and helping them move into the top 10 and not be tied at 10 with three schools. Follow the money trail my friend...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:28 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
vanwinkle wrote: Yes, but to me, this new no-ED-deadline thing smacks of a replacement/supplement for a Why UVA. It just feels like it's putting some applicants in a less than optimal position who might be better served by not ED'ing, but feel pressured to do so.
Well, I agree that's certainly one effect of it, and I agree it's less optimal for the applicant, but this makes things much more optimal for the law school, and given their difficulty in recent years in hitting their target class size, something had to be done that would give them more control over the process.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”