UVA 2010, RD

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MURPH

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby MURPH » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:59 pm

Waitlisted today. Splitter 175, 2.98 with 12 years of work and military experience.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:02 am

MURPH wrote:Waitlisted today. Splitter 175, 2.98 with 12 years of work and military experience.

Daaamn that sucks. Seems like they are waitlisting alot of low GPA's. Hopefully they still have need for some high LSATs.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:03 am

MURPH wrote:Waitlisted today. Splitter 175, 2.98 with 12 years of work and military experience.

Damn, that's harsh.

(Also, love your icon. Eccleston was the best, and from the looks of it won't lose that title anytime soon.)

detljgh

Postby detljgh » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:14 am

3.3/177, waitlisted. I hope this is not a bellweather for my cycle overall.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:16 am

detljgh wrote:3.3/177, waitlisted. I hope this is not a bellweather for my cycle overall.

UVA is WLing a lot of splitters suddenly. They may have had more than they can take by now.

With that LSAT, though, you should be in somewhere in the T14... hope you cast your net wide enough.

detljgh

Postby detljgh » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:24 am

I did cast a wide net, but there are so few schools I actually want to attend. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go to law school if Virginia was the only one I got into at full price, so I'm not exactly crushed by this news. I'm more worried about what it means for Columbia, NYU, and Michigan if I can't even get into Virginia. I'm still optimistic about Georgetown even though they made me interview.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:39 am

detljgh wrote:I did cast a wide net, but there are so few schools I actually want to attend. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go to law school if Virginia was the only one I got into at full price, so I'm not exactly crushed by this news. I'm more worried about what it means for Columbia, NYU, and Michigan if I can't even get into Virginia. I'm still optimistic about Georgetown even though they made me interview.

I did the GULC interview as requested, got WL'd anyway. They even specifically said in the WL letter there was a second "preferred" WL that would get in first and I wasn't on it. (Thanks, guys.) Got into UVA despite GULC not wanting me.

Lower-ranked schools aren't entirely accurate predictors of higher-ranked schools. UVA WLing you doesn't mean C, N, or M won't take you. Keep your chin up, for now. You don't know what else is coming yet.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:44 am

detljgh wrote:I did cast a wide net, but there are so few schools I actually want to attend. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go to law school if Virginia was the only one I got into at full price, so I'm not exactly crushed by this news. I'm more worried about what it means for Columbia, NYU, and Michigan if I can't even get into Virginia. I'm still optimistic about Georgetown even though they made me interview.

Don't forget about the possibility of YP for high LSAT scores, especially at state schools committed to admitting a certain percentage of residents. Like the poster above, I don't think that you should jump to conclusions simply by comparing school's rankings against your results thus far. I feel very positive about your chances at NYU, for example.
Last edited by CardinalRules on Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

detljgh

Postby detljgh » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:44 am

vanwinkle wrote:

I did the GULC interview as requested, got WL'd anyway. They even specifically said in the WL letter there was a second "preferred" WL that would get in first and I wasn't on it. (Thanks, guys.) Got into UVA despite GULC not wanting me.

Lower-ranked schools aren't entirely accurate predictors of higher-ranked schools. UVA WLing you doesn't mean C, N, or M won't take you. Keep your chin up, for now. You don't know what else is coming yet.

That's actually very encouraging, thank you for sharing.

LifeinKodachrome

Postby LifeinKodachrome » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:48 am

I'm joining the WL bunch, though I'm sure it's not due to YP this time.

170/3.3

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:50 am

LifeinKodachrome wrote:I'm joining the WL bunch, though I'm sure it's not due to YP this time.

170/3.3

That's not YP, that's UVA just having too many splitters now. Lots of splitter WL action today. Sorry.

OTOH, with numbers like that you should still be in elsewhere in the T14, and there's always a chance they'll actually take people in off the WL this year...

dk8

Postby dk8 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:52 am

vanwinkle wrote:
LifeinKodachrome wrote:I'm joining the WL bunch, though I'm sure it's not due to YP this time.

170/3.3

That's not YP, that's UVA just having too many splitters now. Lots of splitter WL action today. Sorry.

OTOH, with numbers like that you should still be in elsewhere in the T14, and there's always a chance they'll actually take people in off the WL this year...

What do you think their admissions strategy will be now if they have too many splitters? Throw money at applicants with numbers above both medians?

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:23 am

Looking at LSN, combined with the new ED deadline, does anyone think that UVA may be going for a 171 median?

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:34 am

jawsthegreat wrote:Looking at LSN, combined with the new ED deadline, does anyone think that UVA may be going for a 171 median?

UVA might be trying to raise its LSAT median, but I don't see a lot of evidence for it on LSN. Many of the applicants who were waitlisted today have LSATs of 171 and above. If anything, today's action suggests that UVA is trying to bump up its GPA median.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:34 am

jawsthegreat wrote:Looking at LSN, combined with the new ED deadline, does anyone think that UVA may be going for a 171 median?

No way. A 171 median would give them the same median LSAT as NYU/Chicago, along with a GPA median (3.85) well above NYU/Chicago's median. UVA's a great school and I'm dying to get in, but I can't see how they could possibly put together a class with better numbers than NYU/Chicago.

Just look at all of those splitters they rejected/WL today. If they are going to reject/WL those people, there's no way they can bump their median LSAT up to 171.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:35 am

Dignan wrote:

UVA might be trying to raise its LSAT median, but I don't see a lot of evidence for it on LSN. Many of the applicants who were waitlisted today have LSATs of 171 and above. If anything, today's action suggests that UVA is trying to bump up its GPA median.

A number of people have said that their scholarship information tells them that their scholarships are contingent on them keeping a 3.85 by the time they matriculate, so I'm not sure they are trying to raise their GPA median.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:36 am

Dignan wrote:

I was just commenting on the solid green line that was beginning to form at 171, compared to the same area being a solid yellow block.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:39 am

jawsthegreat wrote:
Dignan wrote:

I was just commenting on the solid green line that was beginning to form at 171, compared to the same area being a solid yellow block.

In general, schools tend to accept stronger applicants early and then accept weaker candidates towards the end of the cycle. In all likelihood, that green line will shift down a bit by late March.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:42 am

Dignan wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
Dignan wrote:

In general, schools tend to accept stronger applicants early and then accept weaker candidates towards the end of the cycle. In all likelihood, that green line will shift down a bit by late March.

I'm not sure that applies to UVA.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:23 pm

dk8 wrote:What do you think their admissions strategy will be now if they have too many splitters? Throw money at applicants with numbers above both medians?

I think they're probably taking about the same number of splitters as they used to, it's just that there are so many more splitters applying now than previous years. There were (from appearances on TLS) a hell of a lot more splitters applying ED this year, also.

I think their admission strategy will just be to take as many splitters as they need, ED if possible, and start WLing/rejecting the rest. This probably would've been their admission strategy in prior years, except they probably weren't getting so many splitters that they had to start turning them away in large numbers before.

Dignan wrote:UVA might be trying to raise its LSAT median, but I don't see a lot of evidence for it on LSN. Many of the applicants who were waitlisted today have LSATs of 171 and above. If anything, today's action suggests that UVA is trying to bump up its GPA median.

I think they're trying to protect their current medians. A 3.85 GPA is impressive already, and it's very hard to make any progress beyond that. Seriously, how much more can you improve from that? Yale is a 3.90 median, and that's at freakin' Yale.

When looking at the increased LSAT registrations and speculating on the increased number of 170+ scores that could lead to, I had wondered aloud whether UVA might try to push their LSAT median up a point. They may not be able to do it this year, but they probably will next year. I think based on the huge number of applications they're getting, they'll probably see that it's at least possible now, and try for a 171 next cycle.

heathbar88

Postby heathbar88 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:19 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
heathbar88 wrote:Wait..what?! Ok I emailed back re the ED agreement; had they received it, I really think I would not be on the waitlist right now. Considering I sent an email when I sent it, and noone responded..do you think they'd reconsider my application now instead of making me ride the waitlist?

The only answer to this that anyone here can give is, they won't if you don't ask. Good luck.

I did ask..they didn't get it. They have it now...I'm IN!!!!!!! haha best way to start the weekend ever

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:56 pm

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:59 pm

Dignan wrote:

I think the allocation of Dean's Scholarships would support your theory as well. I have a 173/3.82 and am a VA resident and did not get one, but on LSN, it looks like some people with a 3.85/170 did. So I agree that they are trying to boost their median GPA, which does not make a lot of sense since their median GPA is already really high (3.85).

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:09 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
Dignan wrote:

I think the allocation of Dean's Scholarships would support your theory as well. I have a 173/3.82 and am a VA resident and did not get one, but on LSN, it looks like some people with a 3.85/170 did. So I agree that they are trying to boost their median GPA, which does not make a lot of sense since their median GPA is already really high (3.85).

It would make sense for this reason: there are more 3.86+ GPAs than 171+ LSATs in the general applicant pool. For the record, I am not saying that UVA is trying to raise its GPA median, but it is a possibility.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:17 pm

Slight change of topic, but is anyone else going to the ASW on March 19? I'd love to find someone to share a hotel room with.

Also, is anyone coming from the DC area interested in carpooling? I have a car but would rather ride with someone else, but I'm willing to drive if anyone wants to carpool. I figure it'd be more fun to have some company. I could probably get one of my friends to go with me if it were a weekend, but it's a weekday and they all have work.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”