UVA 2010, RD

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:49 pm

maggiebre wrote:
5ky wrote:I'm still going with (hoping for, more accurately), my earlier assertion that my file date hasn't been updated except for the once on 11/04 because they reviewed it then and decided that I would be admitted, but are waiting for the first huge wave of RD to let me know. Right?

Right?


I hadn't been updated since 11/5, so you may be onto something.


I am jealous of you Maggie. But proud of a fellow Colonial. UVa love me, please?

User avatar
NancyBotwin
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby NancyBotwin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:50 pm

maggiebre wrote:
5ky wrote:I'm still going with (hoping for, more accurately), my earlier assertion that my file date hasn't been updated except for the once on 11/04 because they reviewed it then and decided that I would be admitted, but are waiting for the first huge wave of RD to let me know. Right?

Right?


I hadn't been updated since 11/5, so you may be onto something.


11/3. :|

User avatar
UFMatt
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:59 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby UFMatt » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:51 pm

Also no update for me since early November, although I'm definitely a reach candidate.

Zammie
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Zammie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:39 pm

I updated and I am an out of state reach candidate. LSP has me as an admit/consider

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby AngryAvocado » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:06 pm

Zammie wrote:I updated and I am an out of state reach candidate. LSP has me as an admit/consider


Just curious, but how can you be both an "admit" and a "consider" on LSP?

Zammie
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Zammie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:11 pm

I took the LSAT twice and I am a URM. Just in case though I like to look at best case and worst case. Best case is where schools don't average and consider me a URM. Worst case is they average and don't consider me a URM. Since there are the rumors about who averages and who doesn't, I figure it is best to look both ways. The different scenarios is why I put admit/consider.

User avatar
ValiantVic
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby ValiantVic » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:34 pm

Was just updated to 1/8.

T14forME
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:18 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby T14forME » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:37 pm

complete, pending review since 11/16 and nothing since...come on UVA!!

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:49 pm

Time to make my "please calm down" post again... :P

Last cycle: Complete 11/10, accepted 1/29. There should be a lot more movement later this month if things go at all like they did last year. Be patient.

Or, if you can't be patient anymore, go switch to ED. Apparently they removed the deadline, so if you want UVA that badly, go for it. Your choice.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:31 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Time to make my "please calm down" post again... :P

Last cycle: Complete 11/10, accepted 1/29. There should be a lot more movement later this month if things go at all like they did last year. Be patient.

Or, if you can't be patient anymore, go switch to ED. Apparently they removed the deadline, so if you want UVA that badly, go for it. Your choice.

Yeah, this cycle will be rather unusual. If you really want UVA go ED or go home because they're shooting to fill as much of the class with ED admits as possible for haxxored yield rates/medians.

User avatar
natalie123
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:45 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby natalie123 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:13 pm

I got the call on Friday from Jason Dugas--in with $75K. :D

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:08 pm

..

User avatar
Walfredo47
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:36 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Walfredo47 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:53 pm

natalie123 wrote:I got the call on Friday from Jason Dugas--in with $75K. :D


very cool! congratulations-

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby dakatz » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:59 pm

I'm starting to debate using that ED option. I am a URM applicant with a 3.5x and 167, so I thought I would have at least decent success amongst the T14, but I have been rejected at Georgetown and Penn. Shame I couldn't pull another 2 or 3 points on the LSAT or else I feel like those might have been acceptances. I was accepted at Cornell, but without scholarship money at this point. I don't think I would pay sticker price for Cornell, but I could justify it for some of the higher T-14's. I'm still waiting on decisions from Mich, NYU, Columbia, Chicago, Duke & UVA, so I really don't know what to do at this point, but that ED option is starting to look tempting, because I feel like I won't get in without that extra boost.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:00 pm

dakatz wrote:I'm starting to debate using that ED option. I am a URM applicant with a 3.5x and 167, so I thought I would have at least decent success amongst the T14, but I have been rejected at Georgetown and Penn. Shame I couldn't pull another 2 or 3 points on the LSAT or else I feel like those might have been acceptances. I was accepted at Cornell, but without scholarship money at this point. I don't think I would pay sticker price for Cornell, but I could justify it for some of the higher T-14's. I'm still waiting on decisions from Mich, NYU, Columbia, Chicago, Duke & UVA, so I really don't know what to do at this point, but that ED option is starting to look tempting, because I feel like I won't get in without that extra boost.


Give it a month or so, a lot could change for you.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby dakatz » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:02 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
dakatz wrote:I'm starting to debate using that ED option. I am a URM applicant with a 3.5x and 167, so I thought I would have at least decent success amongst the T14, but I have been rejected at Georgetown and Penn. Shame I couldn't pull another 2 or 3 points on the LSAT or else I feel like those might have been acceptances. I was accepted at Cornell, but without scholarship money at this point. I don't think I would pay sticker price for Cornell, but I could justify it for some of the higher T-14's. I'm still waiting on decisions from Mich, NYU, Columbia, Chicago, Duke & UVA, so I really don't know what to do at this point, but that ED option is starting to look tempting, because I feel like I won't get in without that extra boost.


Give it a month or so, a lot could change for you.


I'm just worried that UVA will get back to me with a rejection or WL in a week or 2, and then I will have blown my only chance to take advantage of that ED option. But I'm guessing they will string along pretty much all RD applicants for even longer, hoping they will switch to ED. Ugg, maybe one of those T14 pending decisions will take a chance on me.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:03 pm

dakatz wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
dakatz wrote:I'm starting to debate using that ED option. I am a URM applicant with a 3.5x and 167, so I thought I would have at least decent success amongst the T14, but I have been rejected at Georgetown and Penn. Shame I couldn't pull another 2 or 3 points on the LSAT or else I feel like those might have been acceptances. I was accepted at Cornell, but without scholarship money at this point. I don't think I would pay sticker price for Cornell, but I could justify it for some of the higher T-14's. I'm still waiting on decisions from Mich, NYU, Columbia, Chicago, Duke & UVA, so I really don't know what to do at this point, but that ED option is starting to look tempting, because I feel like I won't get in without that extra boost.


Give it a month or so, a lot could change for you.


I'm just worried that UVA will get back to me with a rejection or WL in a week or 2, and then I will have blown my only chance to take advantage of that ED option. Ugg, maybe one of those T14 pending decisions will take a chance on me.


FWIW, I think UVA is going to be a lot slower handing out WLs and rejections now that they have this new ED policy. Them handing you a waitlist now would probably signify they wouldn't have taken you ED regardless.

User avatar
kurama20
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby kurama20 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:26 pm

dakatz wrote:I'm starting to debate using that ED option. I am a URM applicant with a 3.5x and 167, so I thought I would have at least decent success amongst the T14, but I have been rejected at Georgetown and Penn. Shame I couldn't pull another 2 or 3 points on the LSAT or else I feel like those might have been acceptances. I was accepted at Cornell, but without scholarship money at this point. I don't think I would pay sticker price for Cornell, but I could justify it for some of the higher T-14's. I'm still waiting on decisions from Mich, NYU, Columbia, Chicago, Duke & UVA, so I really don't know what to do at this point, but that ED option is starting to look tempting, because I feel like I won't get in without that extra boost.



What type of URM are you? Just so you know if you aren't Black, Native American, Mexican, or Puerto Rican you are not URM in terms of admissions. Whether or not you fall into one of these groups should heavily determine whether or not you use the ED option. Frankly I'm almost positive that you're not Black based on the fact that you got rejected from GULCl with those numbers.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:58 pm

kurama20 wrote:
dakatz wrote:I'm starting to debate using that ED option. I am a URM applicant with a 3.5x and 167, so I thought I would have at least decent success amongst the T14, but I have been rejected at Georgetown and Penn. Shame I couldn't pull another 2 or 3 points on the LSAT or else I feel like those might have been acceptances. I was accepted at Cornell, but without scholarship money at this point. I don't think I would pay sticker price for Cornell, but I could justify it for some of the higher T-14's. I'm still waiting on decisions from Mich, NYU, Columbia, Chicago, Duke & UVA, so I really don't know what to do at this point, but that ED option is starting to look tempting, because I feel like I won't get in without that extra boost.



What type of URM are you? Just so you know if you aren't Black, Native American, Mexican, or Puerto Rican you are not URM in terms of admissions. Whether or not you fall into one of these groups should heavily determine whether or not you use the ED option. Frankly I'm almost positive that you're not Black based on the fact that you got rejected from GULCl with those numbers.


dakatz wrote:Phew, and I thought my 3.4 would kill my chances at a top school (I am Argentinian-American by the way). I had a 2.3 freshman year because of financial issues, and maintained a solid 3.85 the final three years. I haven't taken the LSAT yet, but I am shooting for something in the upper 160's, praying that I crack 170. I guess my URM status will help with the low GPA.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:00 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
kurama20 wrote:
dakatz wrote:I'm starting to debate using that ED option. I am a URM applicant with a 3.5x and 167, so I thought I would have at least decent success amongst the T14, but I have been rejected at Georgetown and Penn. Shame I couldn't pull another 2 or 3 points on the LSAT or else I feel like those might have been acceptances. I was accepted at Cornell, but without scholarship money at this point. I don't think I would pay sticker price for Cornell, but I could justify it for some of the higher T-14's. I'm still waiting on decisions from Mich, NYU, Columbia, Chicago, Duke & UVA, so I really don't know what to do at this point, but that ED option is starting to look tempting, because I feel like I won't get in without that extra boost.



What type of URM are you? Just so you know if you aren't Black, Native American, Mexican, or Puerto Rican you are not URM in terms of admissions. Whether or not you fall into one of these groups should heavily determine whether or not you use the ED option. Frankly I'm almost positive that you're not Black based on the fact that you got rejected from GULCl with those numbers.


dakatz wrote:Phew, and I thought my 3.4 would kill my chances at a top school (I am Argentinian-American by the way). I had a 2.3 freshman year because of financial issues, and maintained a solid 3.85 the final three years. I haven't taken the LSAT yet, but I am shooting for something in the upper 160's, praying that I crack 170. I guess my URM status will help with the low GPA.


Oh snap.

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
kurama20
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby kurama20 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:01 pm

Dakatz you aren't a URM. If you want to predict your chances use lawschoolpredictor.com I think that the non URMs on here say that it's pretty accurate for them. If you want UVA you may want to "ED" or whatever it's called now.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby im_blue » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:59 pm

kurama20 wrote:Dakatz you aren't a URM. If you want to predict your chances use lawschoolpredictor.com I think that the non URMs on here say that it's pretty accurate for them. If you want UVA you may want to "ED" or whatever it's called now.


If that's the case, then he's easily going to get shut out of the T14 with a 3.5/167, and it doesn't look like he applied anywhere below that. :?

User avatar
Lmao Zedong
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:10 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby Lmao Zedong » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:02 pm

im_blue wrote:
kurama20 wrote:Dakatz you aren't a URM. If you want to predict your chances use lawschoolpredictor.com I think that the non URMs on here say that it's pretty accurate for them. If you want UVA you may want to "ED" or whatever it's called now.


If that's the case, then he's easily going to get shut out of the T14 with a 3.5/167, and it doesn't look like he applied anywhere below that. :?


didn't he say he's already in at cornell?

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby dakatz » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:07 pm

im_blue wrote:
kurama20 wrote:Dakatz you aren't a URM. If you want to predict your chances use lawschoolpredictor.com I think that the non URMs on here say that it's pretty accurate for them. If you want UVA you may want to "ED" or whatever it's called now.


If that's the case, then he's easily going to get shut out of the T14 with a 3.5/167, and it doesn't look like he applied anywhere below that. :?


I'm actually part Argentinean and part Puerto Rican, though when asked to specify one type of latino, I say south american because that is a bit closer in my family tree. I mention my Argentinean/Puerto Rican background in my PS. I've been pretty active in minority advocacy groups, including a Puerto Rican-specific group, so I'm pretty sure that schools understand my background, and how its a mix of cultures. But for statistical purposes, I checked both south american and puerto rican at most schools, but just south american if pressed for a single choice. Not sure how schools view multicultural applicants who have a mix of what would be considered a URM and non-URM background.

Edit: I looked back to my UVA application, and it allowed for multiple checks, and I checked both "Other Hispanic" and "Puerto Rican", so how they decide which is more pertinent is entirely up to them.
Last edited by dakatz on Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby im_blue » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:10 pm

GargamelITT wrote:
im_blue wrote:
kurama20 wrote:Dakatz you aren't a URM. If you want to predict your chances use lawschoolpredictor.com I think that the non URMs on here say that it's pretty accurate for them. If you want UVA you may want to "ED" or whatever it's called now.


If that's the case, then he's easily going to get shut out of the T14 with a 3.5/167, and it doesn't look like he applied anywhere below that. :?


didn't he say he's already in at cornell?


Oh right, RC fail.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], JordanLaw15 and 12 guests