UVA 2010, RD

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawyering

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby lawyering » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:41 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:
lawyering wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
maggiebre wrote:I just got the email to call Cordel Faulk! Ugh, but I have a horrible cold and virtually no voice... this should be interesting.

Congrats, you got accepted.

I just got an email to call the other director of admissions. Anyone know what they ask in the phone call?

Congrats!! when did you get the email? It seems pretty late in the day for them to keep looking at apps

The email came at 5:45 pm...but I got it closer to 7 because I was commuting home from work...

dk8

Postby dk8 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:42 pm

5ky wrote:Congrats, lawyering!

I don't think the wait would be quite as bad for UVA if there weren't that constant trickle of 1-3 people every day getting the email telling them to call...just enough to leave you wondering where you might have gone wrong.

Congratulations lawyering. 4.0 in cognitive neuroscience is pretty damn impressive. Shouldn't you be doing surgery somewhere?

5ky, I hear you man, I'm starting to think I'm screwed even though I have decent numbers for an in-state applicant.

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:53 pm

dk8 wrote:
5ky wrote:Congrats, lawyering!

I don't think the wait would be quite as bad for UVA if there weren't that constant trickle of 1-3 people every day getting the email telling them to call...just enough to leave you wondering where you might have gone wrong.

Congratulations lawyering. 4.0 in cognitive neuroscience is pretty damn impressive. Shouldn't you be doing surgery somewhere?

5ky, I hear you man, I'm starting to think I'm screwed even though I have decent numbers for an in-state applicant.

haha, it sounds far more impressive than it is. i think i got the only BS at my school that didn't require a single semester of chem or physics. i was actually choosing btw law and a phd...but i've been doing research for 4 years and i'm pretty sure it's not for me forever. who wants to spend 40 years of their life concentrating on one minute detail in a field, prove something somewhat amazing, only to have their entire life work disproven a few years later?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:26 am

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:31 am

wow, this is actually great news for people with borderline stats. if things start looking bleak around feb, someone who originally applied rd could improve their odds by sending in the ed contract. i would absolutely consider this, but i simply can't risk having to pay the sticker price.

i also think its a brilliant bit of gamesmanship on the part of their office.
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:32 am

YCrevolution wrote:Looks like UVA eliminated their ED deadline (props to im_blue for noticing this): viewtopic.php?f=7&t=85571&p=2379533#p2379533

Said it in the other thread, and I'll say it here: I don't really like this at all. They're essentially trying to bait people into EDing because of their 15 day turnaround. You realize that UVA hasn't had a RD wave yet? They have the ED kids and then the 0-3/4 special (mostly scholarship) kids every day.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:35 am

5ky wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:Looks like UVA eliminated their ED deadline (props to im_blue for noticing this): viewtopic.php?f=7&t=85571&p=2379533#p2379533

Said it in the other thread, and I'll say it here: I don't really like this at all. They're essentially trying to bait people into EDing because of their 15 day turnaround. You realize that UVA hasn't had a RD wave yet? They have the ED kids and then the 0-3/4 special (mostly scholarship) kids every day.

+1

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:38 am

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:42 am

Sure, it can boost their stats, but at the expensive of potentially forcing out RD kids who have UVA as their number 1 but can't stomach paying sticker for it, as talib said.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:47 am

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:56 am

YCrevolution wrote:
5ky wrote:Sure, it can boost their stats, but at the expensive of potentially forcing out RD kids who have UVA as their number 1 but can't stomach paying sticker for it, as talib said.

I doubt they're going to cut their scholarship money (and leaving aside their claim that they don't discriminate agaisnt ED people when it comes to awarding scholly money). I'd say the people worse off under this plan are RD people with so-so numbers; people who are going to get any substantial scholly money might have to wait a bit longer, but that would be about it.

True, true. I'm mostly just worried because UVA is my clear #1, but I wouldn't be able to take it over, say, a 60k scholarship at Duke if I had to pay sticker. The only reason I won't ED at UVA is for monetary reasons, and I'm worried that they'll end up filling up so much of their class with ED kids that some students might get pushed aside. I feel like my numbers are a little better than "so-so," but I can't help but feel a little nervous.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:58 am

5ky wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
5ky wrote:Sure, it can boost their stats, but at the expensive of potentially forcing out RD kids who have UVA as their number 1 but can't stomach paying sticker for it, as talib said.

I doubt they're going to cut their scholarship money (and leaving aside their claim that they don't discriminate agaisnt ED people when it comes to awarding scholly money). I'd say the people worse off under this plan are RD people with so-so numbers; people who are going to get any substantial scholly money might have to wait a bit longer, but that would be about it.

True, true. I'm mostly just worried because UVA is my clear #1, but I wouldn't be able to take it over, say, a 60k scholarship at Duke if I had to pay sticker. The only reason I won't ED at UVA is for monetary reasons, and I'm worried that they'll end up filling up so much of their class with ED kids that some students might get pushed aside. I feel like my numbers are a little better than "so-so," but I can't help but feel a little nervous.

Your numbers are good enough to where if you ED/made them know how you felt about them you would be in. Make them know you want to go there.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:02 am

jawsthegreat wrote:Your numbers are good enough to where if you ED/made them know how you felt about them you would be in. Make them know you want to go there.

Yeah, I tried really hard to make it clear in my application. I included both a well-reasoned Why UVA, as long with a targeted LOR, but as I said, I cannot rationally ED to UVA and possibly lose any scholarship money with the reasonable prospect of getting $$ from Duke, etc. Any close offers, though, and I'd take UVA in a second.

apparentlymargarita

Postby apparentlymargarita » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:04 am

In the spirit of increasing the general knowledge, I got the email yesterday, called, and I'm in! I applied 10/24 and stats are 167/4.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:05 am

ksumi wrote:In the spirit of increasing the general knowledge, I got the email yesterday, called, and I'm in! I applied 10/24 and stats are 167/4.

In my obsessive checking of UVA's LSN page, I saw that yesterday. Congrats! And you didn't even have to ED, haha :D

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:06 am

5ky wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:Your numbers are good enough to where if you ED/made them know how you felt about them you would be in. Make them know you want to go there.

Yeah, I tried really hard to make it clear in my application. I included both a well-reasoned Why UVA, as long with a targeted LOR, but as I said, I cannot rationally ED to UVA and possibly lose any scholarship money with the reasonable prospect of getting $$ from Duke, etc. Any close offers, though, and I'd take UVA in a second.

You could send a follow up email/visit telling them how much you love them.

apparentlymargarita

Postby apparentlymargarita » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:08 am

5ky wrote:
ksumi wrote:In the spirit of increasing the general knowledge, I got the email yesterday, called, and I'm in! I applied 10/24 and stats are 167/4.

In my obsessive checking of UVA's LSN page, I saw that yesterday. Congrats! And you didn't even have to ED, haha :D

Ha thanks! I'm sure you'll get in- good luck 5ky!

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:15 am

A 172/3.9 updated about an hour ago, saying they also got the 90k scholarship, same as maggie. UVA, if you're reading this...if you give me that, I will withdraw all my apps within the week.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:16 am

5ky wrote:A 172/3.9 updated about an hour ago, saying they also got the 90k scholarship, same as maggie. UVA, if you're reading this...if you give me that, I will withdraw all my apps within the week.

Tell them that.

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:13 am

5ky wrote:True, true. I'm mostly just worried because UVA is my clear #1, but I wouldn't be able to take it over, say, a 60k scholarship at Duke if I had to pay sticker. The only reason I won't ED at UVA is for monetary reasons, and I'm worried that they'll end up filling up so much of their class with ED kids that some students might get pushed aside. I feel like my numbers are a little better than "so-so," but I can't help but feel a little nervous.

Ditto. This ED thing is getting annoying.

annabell

Postby annabell » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:07 am

DallasCowboy wrote:
5ky wrote:True, true. I'm mostly just worried because UVA is my clear #1, but I wouldn't be able to take it over, say, a 60k scholarship at Duke if I had to pay sticker. The only reason I won't ED at UVA is for monetary reasons, and I'm worried that they'll end up filling up so much of their class with ED kids that some students might get pushed aside. I feel like my numbers are a little better than "so-so," but I can't help but feel a little nervous.

Agreed. I love UVA, but I'm up for scholarships at other schools, and I just can't commit or select it over Harvard without $$ (but I would highly consider it if I did get a sizeable scholarship). I hate getting ignored by a school that I really like and have 75th%+ stats at. Anything I can do to improve my chances short of commiting to ED?

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:28 am

annabell wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:

Agreed. I love UVA, but I'm up for scholarships at other schools, and I just can't commit or select it over Harvard without $$ (but I would highly consider it if I did get a sizeable scholarship). I hate getting ignored by a school that I really like and have 75th%+ stats at. Anything I can do to improve my chances short of commiting to ED?

Did you write a Why UVA? I sent one in belatedly, and I think it probably helped.

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:01 am

if you can, show some initiative by visiting. admissions are like dating. you have to show you're willing to commit if you want them to commit to you.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:50 am

ze2151 wrote:if you can, show some initiative by visiting. admissions are like dating. you have to show you're willing to commit if you want them to commit to you.

+1 to this. They LOVE visits. I even came during finals time, and Dean Faulk took me out to lunch and answered a good hour and a half of questions I had about UVA. I would email the office and try to arrange a time to head to Charlottesville (which is just a fun time anyway).

astro1819

Postby astro1819 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:51 pm

Kretzy wrote:
ze2151 wrote:if you can, show some initiative by visiting. admissions are like dating. you have to show you're willing to commit if you want them to commit to you.

+1 to this. They LOVE visits. I even came during finals time, and Dean Faulk took me out to lunch and answered a good hour and a half of questions I had about UVA. I would email the office and try to arrange a time to head to Charlottesville (which is just a fun time anyway).

WHAT?! How did you score lunch with the admissions dean?!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”