UVA 2010, RD

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
PoorOrpheus

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Postby PoorOrpheus » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:02 pm

maggiebre wrote:I just got the email to call Cordel Faulk! Ugh, but I have a horrible cold and virtually no voice... this should be interesting.

Congratulations! :mrgreen:

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:04 pm

HOLY CRAP in with $30,000/year! UVA just moved to the top of my list.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:07 pm

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:08 pm

maggiebre wrote:HOLY CRAP in with $30,000/year! UVA just moved to the top of my list.

That's a sweet deal. I'd take that in a heartbeat (even over Harvard).

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:15 pm

My status date still says 10/19. Does anyone else's still go back this far?

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:17 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
maggiebre wrote:HOLY CRAP in with $30,000/year! UVA just moved to the top of my list.

That's a sweet deal. I'd take that in a heartbeat (even over Harvard).

yeah, i probably would as well. uva effectively for free is way too good a deal to pass up.

lsnoob

Postby lsnoob » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:21 pm

bostonian wrote:My status date still says 10/19. Does anyone else's still go back this far?

10/7 here ... not that this is grounded in fact, but i'm expecting a waitlist

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:26 pm

Last edited by Amelie on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSlobbyist

Postby LSlobbyist » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:28 pm

Congrats, maggiebre!

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:04 pm

Congrats Maggie! Why cant I have your cycle?

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:07 pm

How did you find out you got in, and did you get the financial aid offer with the acceptance? My status checker says I am in and that something is in the mail, but so far nothing and no e-mail. Does that mean no merit money?

Congrats, btw. If you don't mind sharing, what are your stats?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

democrattotheend wrote:

How did you find out you got in, and did you get the financial aid offer with the acceptance? My status checker says I am in and that something is in the mail, but so far nothing and no e-mail. Does that mean no merit money?

You seemed to have failed on quite a few levels. Maggie said, in her post, that she got the email for Faulk asking her to call, which she did, at which point she was told she was accepted along with the 90k scholarship. Her LSN is also linked in her profile, and has her stats.

You probably do not have a Dean's Scholarship, which is the merit money UVA gives at the beginning of cycles. They will distribute the rest of the money later on, probably March/April.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:54 pm

Thanks guys! 0L & 5ky, I'm sure you'll be accepted soon!

And (as 5ky pointed out) my stats are on LSN, but they are 173/3.9 if it helps.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:21 pm

5ky wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:

You seemed to have failed on quite a few levels. Maggie said, in her post, that she got the email for Faulk asking her to call, which she did, at which point she was told she was accepted along with the 90k scholarship. Her LSN is also linked in her profile, and has her stats.

You probably do not have a Dean's Scholarship, which is the merit money UVA gives at the beginning of cycles. They will distribute the rest of the money later on, probably March/April.

No need to get snotty about it. I guess I misunderstood. I am just a little worried because my status checker changed to Congratulations on 12/30 but I have not gotten an e-mail or a phone call like most people seem to have gotten when they got accepted. It says a decision letter was mailed on 1/4, but my roommate said nothing has arrived as of today, and where I live there's no way it would take more than 2 days for a letter to arrive.

With that and the fact that they accepted me 2 days after getting my LSAT score, I am a little worried that it was a mistake.

Has anyone else had the status checker say they were in but get no other communication from the school for a week?

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:53 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
5ky wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:

No need to get snotty about it. I guess I misunderstood. I am just a little worried because my status checker changed to Congratulations on 12/30 but I have not gotten an e-mail or a phone call like most people seem to have gotten when they got accepted. It says a decision letter was mailed on 1/4, but my roommate said nothing has arrived as of today, and where I live there's no way it would take more than 2 days for a letter to arrive.

With that and the fact that they accepted me 2 days after getting my LSAT score, I am a little worried that it was a mistake.

Has anyone else had the status checker say they were in but get no other communication from the school for a week?

Your numbers are good and a VA resident, so doubtful it is a mistake. However, just call them tomorrow and ask. Don't stress about it.

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:03 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
maggiebre wrote:I just got the email to call Cordel Faulk! Ugh, but I have a horrible cold and virtually no voice... this should be interesting.

Congrats, you got accepted.

I just got an email to call the other director of admissions. Anyone know what they ask in the phone call?

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:08 pm

lawyering wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:

I just got an email to call the other director of admissions. Anyone know what they ask in the phone call?

There aren't any questions... they just tell you that you're in :D

Congrats!

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:11 pm

maggiebre wrote:
lawyering wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:

There aren't any questions... they just tell you that you're in :D

Congrats!

Thanks (crosses fingers), but the sentence in the email that got me worried I'd be grilled was: "I’d like to visit with you for a few minutes about your application". I want to at least have an answer to "Why Virginia" when I call...

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:14 pm

Stop freaking out, you are in.

You would be the first person in TLS history to get a call from UVA asking "Why Us?"

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:18 pm

Thanks for the assurance :D (And this explains why I couldn't find any threads about what they ask, as opposed to say, HLS) Now I can actually go enjoy my evening...

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:23 pm

lawyering wrote:Thanks for the assurance :D (And this explains why I couldn't find any threads about what they ask, as opposed to say, HLS) Now I can actually go enjoy my evening...

If you don't mind my asking, when did you submit your application to UVA?

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:27 pm

Dignan wrote:
lawyering wrote:Thanks for the assurance :D (And this explains why I couldn't find any threads about what they ask, as opposed to say, HLS) Now I can actually go enjoy my evening...

If you don't mind my asking, when did you submit your application to UVA?

I applied on November 1st...and have been complete on status checker since 11/12. It's been a long wait!

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:31 pm

Congrats, lawyering!

I don't think the wait would be quite as bad for UVA if there weren't that constant trickle of 1-3 people every day getting the email telling them to call...just enough to leave you wondering where you might have gone wrong.

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:33 pm

lawyering wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:

Congrats!! when did you get the email? It seems pretty late in the day for them to keep looking at apps

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:35 pm

5ky wrote:Congrats, lawyering!

I don't think the wait would be quite as bad for UVA if there weren't that constant trickle of 1-3 people every day getting the email telling them to call...just enough to leave you wondering where you might have gone wrong.

I wouldn't read anything into it, 5ky! I really don't think the timing has a huge amount to do with how much they actually want you to attend. At least, I got into some of the higher ranked schools in under a month and am going on three months with others lower down...

I can say that the winter break really helped me to de-stress about all of this and stop checking status checkers constantly, etc. They'll come when you least expect them! :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”