UVA 2010, RD Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
5ky

Diamond

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Post by 5ky » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:29 pm

However, it seems like all these people are early applicants. Guess my 10/28 Complete is going to have to wait until after the New Year.

violaboy

Bronze

Post by violaboy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:18 pm

Just got a call back! In!! I was Complete 10/13 or something super early like that.

Mosca

Bronze

Post by Mosca » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:25 pm

violaboy wrote:Just got a call back! In!! I was Complete 10/13 or something super early like that.
Congrats! What time did you receive the email asking you to call?

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:44 pm

NayBoer wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:I would bet a large sum of money that anyone with a 170+ LSAT or a 3.85+ GPA that got WL or rejected today would have gotten in had they applied ED.
Desert Fox applied ED with a 176. Got waitlisted.

Will PM you my wire transfer information so you can pay up.

FYI, I expect six figure payout or I will revoke your "I like to spout my exaggerated opinions on the Internet" badge.
You are incorrect sir, Desert Fox was not WL or rejected today as a RD applicant, I said if any of the RD or rejected people had applied ED they would have gotten in. Desert Fox applied ED therefore my statement stands.

violaboy

Bronze

Post by violaboy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:47 pm

Mosca wrote:
violaboy wrote:Just got a call back! In!! I was Complete 10/13 or something super early like that.
About 11am EST

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mosca

Bronze

Post by Mosca » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:48 pm

violaboy wrote:
Mosca wrote:
About 11am EST
Thanks

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:53 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
NayBoer wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:I would bet a large sum of money that anyone with a 170+ LSAT or a 3.85+ GPA that got WL or rejected today would have gotten in had they applied ED.

FYI, I expect six figure payout or I will revoke your "I like to spout my exaggerated opinions on the Internet" badge.
You are incorrect sir, Desert Fox was not WL or rejected today as a RD applicant, I said if any of the RD or rejected people had applied ED they would have gotten in. Desert Fox applied ED therefore my statement stands.
So what you're saying is: You're confident that you're right, although it would be impossible to prove (because the RD people can't actually go back in time and ED), and any counterexamples (people with those stats who got WL or ding from ED pool) are to be discarded.

Specious logic at best.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:59 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
NayBoer wrote:

So what you're saying is: You're confident that you're right, although it would be impossible to prove (because the RD people can't actually go back in time and ED), and any counterexamples (people with those stats who got WL or ding from ED pool) are to be discarded.

Specious logic at best.
I never said it was good logic, but you can't prove the statement wrong.

Also, I should have put a qualifier in there of a 3.0+ GPA for the 170 LSATs and a 164 LSAT for the 3.85 GPAs.

initech

Bronze

Post by initech » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:19 pm

Dinged yesterday via email. Sucks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:24 pm

initech wrote:Dinged yesterday via email. Sucks.
Damn, too bad. I see your LSN your degree GPA is a 4 and your LSAC is a 3.5? How did that happen, a failed class that you retook?

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:26 pm

IN!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:29 pm

lz06 wrote:IN!
Congrats!

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:31 pm

Grats to the new admits! I got my package today, and it's pretty sweet. Something interesting to note is that I have to keep my GPA above a 3.85 or they'll revoke the acceptance. I assume that's because my LSAT is below their median. Anybody else have something similar?

Oh, and to the person who asked about straight call vs. email to call, that might depend on who's contacting you. I only got a call from Cordel Faulk, with a follow up email, but it seems the people being contacted by Jason Dugas get an email first. Other than that I doubt it means anything, but idk for sure.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:38 pm

thalassocrat wrote:Grats to the new admits! I got my package today, and it's pretty sweet. Something interesting to note is that I have to keep my GPA above a 3.85 or they'll revoke the acceptance. I assume that's because my LSAT is below their median. Anybody else have something similar?

Oh, and to the person who asked about straight call vs. email to call, that might depend on who's contacting you. I only got a call from Cordel Faulk, with a follow up email, but it seems the people being contacted by Jason Dugas get an email first. Other than that I doubt it means anything, but idk for sure.

are you serious?!?! i've actually never heard of that kind of blatant effort to maintain medians on the part of an admissions office. i mean, why not a 3.8 or a 3.9 as the bright line, right? well i guess if you've got a 4.0 or something, it would take a massive meltdown to bring your gpa below a 3.85.

you should take all of your classes next semester pass/fail.
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:40 pm

That's at least the second person I've seen say UVA's requiring a 3.85 minimum from them, so I believe it... It is kind of crazy, but hey, I'm sure you'd rather have such a conditional acceptance than a WL, right?

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:41 pm

talibkweli wrote:
thalassocrat wrote:Grats to the new admits! I got my package today, and it's pretty sweet. Something interesting to note is that I have to keep my GPA above a 3.85 or they'll revoke the acceptance. I assume that's because my LSAT is below their median. Anybody else have something similar?

are you serious?!?! i've actually never heard of that kind of blatant effort to maintain medians. i guess if youve got a pretty high gpa, however, it would take a massive meltdown to bring your gpa below a 3.85 though.

That is pretty absurd.

gatorjax

New

Post by gatorjax » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:43 pm

Sounds like they are working with their median's from last year, 170 and 3.85?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

virginiagirl55

New

Post by virginiagirl55 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:43 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
talibkweli wrote:

are you serious?!?! i've actually never heard of that kind of blatant effort to maintain medians. i guess if youve got a pretty high gpa, however, it would take a massive meltdown to bring your gpa below a 3.85 though.

That is pretty absurd.
my acceptance just said 3.85 to maintain scholarship money, which i thought was reasonable, but to maintain acceptance? geeeeez louise talk about pressure if you are borderline.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:45 pm

virginiagirl55 wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
talibkweli wrote:

That is pretty absurd.
my acceptance just said 3.85 to maintain scholarship money, which i thought was reasonable, but to maintain acceptance? geeeeez louise talk about pressure if you are borderline.
You got $$ info in your acceptance? How much did you get?

virginiagirl55

New

Post by virginiagirl55 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:18 pm

you should take all of your classes next semester pass/fail.[/quote]

That is pretty absurd.[/quote]

my acceptance just said 3.85 to maintain scholarship money, which i thought was reasonable, but to maintain acceptance? geeeeez louise talk about pressure if you are borderline.[/quote]

You got $$ info in your acceptance? How much did you get?[/quote]

$25,000/year. a miracle from heaven.

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:06 pm

Yea, I wasn't particularly surprised to see that after yesterday's dings and waitlists, but it does give me something to think about. Not too worried about maintaining it though, since last semester (which is what brought me below 4.0) was the exception rather than the rule. I guess I'll see.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:08 pm

A hint to those of you who are getting conditional acceptances: If you don't send an updated transcript to LSDAS, it won't affect your reported GPA. If a final transcript is required, you can send it directly to UVA's admissions office, bypassing LSDAS entirely. That won't affect your reported stats to UVA, so it shouldn't affect your admission.

This is entirely unofficial, and I would not recommend calling up UVA and asking them about this, but I heard from someone that it worked this way for them last year.

cranberrie

New

Post by cranberrie » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:22 am

In. Got the email this morning and I called back this afternoon to get the happy news and a substantial scholarship offer. Thrilled!

Complete 11/17

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:25 am

cranberrie wrote:In. Got the email this morning and I called back this afternoon to get the happy news and a substantial scholarship offer. Thrilled!

Complete 11/17
Congratulations! I hope you choose to come here next fall, it's a great school.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:31 am

Congrats!

But I hope you end up getting into Harvard and go there, leaving both your spot and money for me. I would take it in a heartbeat.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”