UVA 2010, RD Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AdamatUCF

Bronze

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Post by AdamatUCF » Fri May 07, 2010 3:10 pm

Integrity wrote:
AdamatUCF wrote:
Integrity wrote: Point well taken...

They've made two wait lists cuts so far, correct?
At least. I was cut in one, and there's been at least one since.
I'm sorry... :/ What did the release e-mail say?

I have not been cut (yet), but my numbers bring new meaning to reverse splitter. I've really put myself out there for them, but if there's no space there's no space (and if there is space, there are certainly more impressive candidates, numerically speaking).

"Dear _________

Thank you for your patience during our wait list process. We have carefully reviewed your application for admission. I regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you a place in the entering class.

We have received approximately 7,900 nonresident applications and 675 resident applications for the 350 seats in the entering class. This was the most difficult year on record in which to gain admission to Virginia Law.

We have received more tuition deposits than we did on the same day last year. The class is coming in somewhat "heavy" and thus we are releasing a portion of our wait list."

and then an apology for telling me by email, blah blah blah, best of luck

Integrity

Bronze

Post by Integrity » Fri May 07, 2010 3:20 pm

AdamatUCF wrote:
Integrity wrote:
AdamatUCF wrote:
Integrity wrote: Point well taken...

They've made two wait lists cuts so far, correct?
At least. I was cut in one, and there's been at least one since.
I'm sorry... :/ What did the release e-mail say?

I have not been cut (yet), but my numbers bring new meaning to reverse splitter. I've really put myself out there for them, but if there's no space there's no space (and if there is space, there are certainly more impressive candidates, numerically speaking).

"Dear _________

Thank you for your patience during our wait list process. We have carefully reviewed your application for admission. I regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you a place in the entering class.

We have received approximately 7,900 nonresident applications and 675 resident applications for the 350 seats in the entering class. This was the most difficult year on record in which to gain admission to Virginia Law.

We have received more tuition deposits than we did on the same day last year. The class is coming in somewhat "heavy" and thus we are releasing a portion of our wait list."

and then an apology for telling me by email, blah blah blah, best of luck
Awww. Thanks for sharing. Was your heart set on UVA, or do you have other plans you are excited about?

ReelectClayDavis

New

Post by ReelectClayDavis » Fri May 07, 2010 3:22 pm

sundevil77 wrote: Wow, to me that seems pretty insulting. I think you can do better than this. ED = possibly pay sticker $$$$. I agree that you should blanket the T14 next year if that's where you want to go.
OP should definitely reapply, he's got a shot at all below HYS with an early application. I don't think UVA is "insulting" OP though, UVA's just not that into him. His GPA hurts their median, and his 177 doesn't do anything more for UVA's 75th than a 171 would. They probably only offer money with the deferral to people who fortify or beat both medians.
Last edited by ReelectClayDavis on Fri May 07, 2010 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Fri May 07, 2010 3:23 pm

sundevil77 wrote:
pertristis wrote:Well, we were sort of right with our predictions. I was told that if I applied ED, I'd have a spot available for me in the class of 2014. Unlike some other people who received the similar email, there was no mention of scholarship money.
Wow, to me that seems pretty insulting. I think you can do better than this. ED = possibly pay sticker $$$$. I agree that you should blanket the T14 next year if that's where you want to go.
I was lucky enough to find out that others are getting a direct deferral and scholarship money. If I hadn't known this, I don't think I would have found this insulting. I know what others are getting, though. With what others are getting, I probably wouldn't think twice about taking the offer. With what's on the table now, I'm now tempted to go to Penn and see if they can match an acceptance.

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Fri May 07, 2010 3:26 pm

ReelectClayDavis wrote:
sundevil77 wrote: Wow, to me that seems pretty insulting. I think you can do better than this. ED = possibly pay sticker $$$$. I agree that you should blanket the T14 next year if that's where you want to go.
OP should definitely reapply, he's got a shot at all below HYS with an early application. I don't think UVA is "insulting" OP though, UVA's just not that into him. His GPA hurts their median, and his 177 doesn't do anything more for UVA's 75th than a 171 would. They probably only offer money with the deferral to people who fortify or beat both medians.
Normally, I would agree with this. With that said, the person who received the scholarship is also below GPA median.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ReelectClayDavis

New

Post by ReelectClayDavis » Fri May 07, 2010 3:32 pm

Interesting. Other person might have good softs or been really persistent. Maybe they think a 3.4 is too low (probably below their 25th %ile?)

Whatever the case, unless you have a particular affinity for UVA, just blanket the T-14 and you should get something next year.

AdamatUCF

Bronze

Post by AdamatUCF » Fri May 07, 2010 3:37 pm

Integrity wrote:Awww. Thanks for sharing. Was your heart set on UVA, or do you have other plans you are excited about?

I would have liked to attend. I'm in a bit of limbo right now. I applied, at the deadline, to most of the T14, and I'm a splitter. 6 rejections (including UVA), and 3 waitlists later (including GULC's non-priority) , I'm thinking next cycle will be better since I can apply as soon as apps open.

Unless the one school I'm waiting for finally accepts me! *fingers crossed*

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Fri May 07, 2010 3:39 pm

ReelectClayDavis wrote:Interesting. Other person might have good softs or been really persistent. Maybe they think a 3.4 is too low (probably below their 25th %ile?)

Whatever the case, unless you have a particular affinity for UVA, just blanket the T-14 and you should get something next year.
3.4 is below their 25th. I'm not going to question why they didn't offer money (at least, not yet). What I do know is this: I was strongly considering withdrawing from GULC to try again next year. This confirms that I'll hit at least MVP. I don't think that, with an ED, CLS or NYU are completely out of the question—even with their usual 3.5 cut-off. Chicago has been accepting people with numbers very similar to mine.

With that said, UVa could make this a very simple decision. They apparently think enough of me to offer me a spot next year when they're releasing plenty of other people from the WL.

Integrity

Bronze

Post by Integrity » Fri May 21, 2010 2:07 pm

Resurrecting this thread...! Have there been any further wait list cuts?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JasonCG

New

Post by JasonCG » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:27 am

Has there been any wait list movement? Second seat deposit deadline has passed, correct?

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:35 am

No Waitlist This Year, Says Admissions (LinkRemoved) from UVA Law Blog

berkeleykel06

Bronze

Post by berkeleykel06 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:37 am

JasonCG wrote:Has there been any wait list movement? Second seat deposit deadline has passed, correct?
You scared the shit out of me. Had to run and double check. The second seat deposit deadline hasn't passed; it's on the 15th.

Whew.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”