UVA 2010, RD Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
showNprove

Silver

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Post by showNprove » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:44 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:I just sent in my ED form last week. What do you guys think my chances are? Numbers are 3.5-3.6 and 169 with 4 years work experience. Also non-URM and non-resident. It seems like they have been accepting mostly 170+. My parents live in Maryland so UVA would be awesome, though I'm not expecting much.
Almost a certain WL.

If you want to be close to your parents, have you considered contacting GW and asking for permission to apply to their ED program that offers full tuition to anyone accepted? It's probably a long shot to get them to let you do it now, but it could be worth a try if you want to be in the DMV area.

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:47 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:I just sent in my ED form last week. What do you guys think my chances are? Numbers are 3.5-3.6 and 169 with 4 years work experience. Also non-URM and non-resident. It seems like they have been accepting mostly 170+. My parents live in Maryland so UVA would be awesome, though I'm not expecting much.
Waitlist, maybe a ding. ED is auto for over median candidates, but you're under both so it's a long shot. Good luck, though.
Thanks, that's what I figured. Here's to hoping for a miracle though!

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:50 pm

showNprove wrote:
Almost a certain WL.

If you want to be close to your parents, have you considered contacting GW and asking for permission to apply to their ED program that offers full tuition to anyone accepted? It's probably a long shot to get them to let you do it now, but it could be worth a try if you want to be in the DMV area.
I've already applied to GW and hopefully they'll give me some $. As for asking to be considered for their ED, I don't want to piss them off by asking since their ED deadline has passed. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

thatguyyouknow

New

Post by thatguyyouknow » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:56 pm

aznflyingpanda wrote:
cr073137 wrote:I ED at UVA on 1/14, should I get a decision this week or does the "2 week decision" doesnt always hold, especially since so many more people applied ED with the new rule.
They replied super fast for me, I sent out my ED on Wednesday and got the call today.
They replied fast for me too. I went complete at around noon and was called around 5pm of the same day. I had to ask him to repeat what school he was from I was so surprised to get called that quick.

EDIT: I was ED too
Last edited by thatguyyouknow on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

triplecats

New

Post by triplecats » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:57 pm

When do UVa's scholarships for non-autoadmits start coming out? I haven't been sent a UVa ID or whatever it is I need to log in to their financial aid site yet, so I'm assuming I have a while yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:03 pm

triplecats wrote:When do UVa's scholarships for non-autoadmits start coming out? I haven't been sent a UVa ID or whatever it is I need to log in to their financial aid site yet, so I'm assuming I have a while yet.
Based on what others said about last year, it seems like it should be late March/early April.

Chromakey

New

Post by Chromakey » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:57 pm

IN!!! Been waiting since mid-October, then finally switched to ED last week. Guess I'm a lousy chicken player ;) But I don't care, I'm too excited. Can't wait to meet some of my fellow classmates on April 9th!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:04 pm

Chromakey wrote:IN!!! Been waiting since mid-October, then finally switched to ED last week. Guess I'm a lousy chicken player ;) But I don't care, I'm too excited. Can't wait to meet some of my fellow classmates on April 9th!
Congrats!!

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:34 pm

Chromakey wrote:IN!!! Been waiting since mid-October, then finally switched to ED last week. Guess I'm a lousy chicken player ;) But I don't care, I'm too excited. Can't wait to meet some of my fellow classmates on April 9th!
Congrats!

Side note: It looks like this ED strategy is paying off. I'm really curious to see how their medians turn out after this cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:45 pm

If UVA is really pushing for a 171 median this year.... then why the heck did they take me...

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:52 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

wakefield

Bronze

Post by wakefield » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:13 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:Wow... just got the email to call and I'm in!

I'm shocked at how quickly they responded to me. I went complete less than two weeks ago and I'm not ED.

I'm in state, so I'm sure that helped. Also, I had to contact them about my residency application getting lost in transit the first time, so maybe they figured as long as they had this in state file out they might as well look at it?

If UVA is reading this... you'll for sure know who I am. Let me say thank you!
You've said our numbers are similar - I hope this is a good sign for me! Congrats :)

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:32 pm

I'm shocked at how quickly they responded to me. I went complete less than two weeks ago and I'm not ED.

I'm in state, so I'm sure that helped. Also, I had to contact them about my residency application getting lost in transit the first time, so maybe they figured as long as they had this in state file out they might as well look at it?

Congratulations!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:35 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:17 pm

So I got to thinking about how quickly UVA got back to me and started second guessing whether or not I accidentally marked my application for ED. I probably looked like even more of a fool than I did on the actual acceptance call but I actually called the admissions office back to ask if I had applied RD or ED. Luckily I applied RD. If they didn't know who I was before this, I definitely just gave it away with this post. Oh well, UVA is one of, if not my top choice all else equal.

So far UVA admissions office has been top notch with all of the communications I've had with them from asking for a fee waiver to figuring out my residency application situation. I'm sure they know this, but that goes a long way in making a decision about where to attend.
Congrats! I think the fast turnaround is because you're an in-state. Finding as many top in-state students as they can and keeping them is paramount for UVA.

jlnoa0915

Bronze

Post by jlnoa0915 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:21 pm

My last update : 1/24/10 - File Complete, Pending Review/Decision
Did not think they would be doing anything with my app on a Sunday.
I know its a long shot but still crossing my fingers (would have ED but financial didn't want to back myself into a corner)

Legacy316

Bronze

Post by Legacy316 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:44 pm

Sent in an LOCI today... we'll see how that goes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:54 pm

thickfreakness wrote:

So I got to thinking about how quickly UVA got back to me and started second guessing whether or not I accidentally marked my application for ED. I probably looked like even more of a fool than I did on the actual acceptance call but I actually called the admissions office back to ask if I had applied RD or ED. Luckily I applied RD. If they didn't know who I was before this, I definitely just gave it away with this post. Oh well, UVA is one of, if not my top choice all else equal.

So far UVA admissions office has been top notch with all of the communications I've had with them from asking for a fee waiver to figuring out my residency application situation. I'm sure they know this, but that goes a long way in making a decision about where to attend.
Congrats! I think the fast turnaround is because you're an in-state. Finding as many top in-state students as they can and keeping them is paramount for UVA.
Indeed. They need to maintain their medians, and they need enough in-state admits. Someone who meets both is an auto-admit because they always have to admit some in-state people below the medians to keep their in-state numbers up.

Anyway, congratulations!

MahaloMontana

New

Post by MahaloMontana » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:15 pm

My status checker just updated. Well, it went from Pending Review 11/17 to Pending Review 1/27. I know this probably doesn't mean anything, but it was nice to see some movement!

frix0803

Bronze

Post by frix0803 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:26 pm

congrats!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:41 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:07 pm

Been complete since end of October, haven't heard anything yet. My status checker updated once in December. I guess it's good that I haven't been rejected yet. Numbers are 169 3.85

GobiasIndustries

Bronze

Post by GobiasIndustries » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:08 pm

goodolgil wrote:Been complete since end of October, haven't heard anything yet. My status checker [strike]updated once in December[/strike] has not updated. I guess it's good that I haven't been rejected yet. Numbers are [strike]169 3.85[/strike] umm, lower.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:15 pm

When is the new ED deadline? Maybe that'll give me some hint of when us RD folks will hear back (complete 9/17...OMFG)

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:28 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”