UVA 2010, RD Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
calicocat

Silver

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Post by calicocat » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:22 pm

umichgrad wrote:where's my ding e-mail?!? :evil: c'mon JTru, lemme have it.
+1

Let's get this over with

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:23 pm

Oli wrote:
+1

Let's get this over with
Bologna bologna bologna!

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:27 pm

VoidSix wrote:
Oli wrote:
+1

Let's get this over with
Bologna bologna bologna!
Where are we meeting? Wanna drive down together? I'll bring the shaving cream.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:29 pm

Oli wrote:
VoidSix wrote:
Oli wrote:
+1

Let's get this over with
Bologna bologna bologna!
Where are we meeting? Wanna drive down together? I'll bring the shaving cream.
I'd say Michigan is a good halfway point. But I'm tempted to say BC because I'm sure the skiing is so. much. fun.

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:32 pm

VoidSix wrote:
I'd say Michigan is a good halfway point. But I'm tempted to say BC because I'm sure the skiing is so. much. fun.
K let me know when you figure it out. Also note that it will be impossible to get up to the mountains for the next month or two.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Muddy

New

Post by Muddy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:54 pm

Have any of the ED folks that were WL been moved to accepted?

slenslee

New

Post by slenslee » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:18 pm

Email Ding, to be expected

southxii

New

Post by southxii » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:18 pm

That wouldn't happen until April or May.

Edit: in reference to moving off waitlist.

mockstar

New

Post by mockstar » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:22 pm

mozhou7 wrote:Just got in + Full Ride...UR 10/28
First of all, congratulations. Second of all, are you in-state (if you don't mind my asking)?
Similarly, just out of curiosity, does anyone know if they're accepting anybody from out of state that was not ED? It just seems kind of odd to me to be waitlisting so many so early, before the application deadline even (including, yours truly :D ). I thought it might just be that they're holding off on most/all of the out-of-state RDers for now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:53 pm

Muddy wrote:Have any of the ED folks that were WL been moved to accepted?
One person did, after it was pointed out to UVA that they'd accepted an ED contract from him the day before they WL'd him RD. They re-reviewed him considering that he was now ED and accepted him.

Not a typical case, to be sure.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:01 pm

mockstar wrote:
First of all, congratulations. Second of all, are you in-state (if you don't mind my asking)?
Similarly, just out of curiosity, does anyone know if they're accepting anybody from out of state that was not ED?
Yes, UVA has been accepting RD applicants from out of state. They appear to be offering these acceptances at a rate of approximately two per week, but they are doing it.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:09 pm

Dignan wrote:Yes, UVA has been accepting RD applicants from out of state. They appear to be offering these acceptances at a rate of approximately two per week, but they are doing it.
Just for fun I occasionally walk by the admissions office when I'm in that part of the building. Those guys are constantly busy these days. I keep telling people that a lot of RD admits didn't happen until late January or early February last year, probably because of the overwhelming number of applications; as far as I can tell they're getting at least that many this year if not more.

newyorklaw23

New

Post by newyorklaw23 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:31 pm

Count me among the Out of State, Regular Decision, Waitlisters. I'm happy to have not been outright rejected by such a great school, and remain optimistic about this cycle. Good luck to everyone.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

arb44

New

Post by arb44 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:05 pm

Got an email asking to call them, but the office is closed.

This late in the cycle, is this still a good sign?

RD out of state, for what its worth

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:06 pm

arb44 wrote:Got an email asking to call them, but the office is closed.

This late in the cycle, is this still a good sign?

RD out of state, for what its worth
That's usually an admit. Pre-emptive potential congratulations.

arb44

New

Post by arb44 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:11 pm

Thanks for the quick answer!

mozhou7

New

Post by mozhou7 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:18 pm

mockstar wrote:
Similarly, just out of curiosity, does anyone know if they're accepting anybody from out of state that was not ED? It just seems kind of odd to me to be waitlisting so many so early, before the application deadline even (including, yours truly :D ). I thought it might just be that they're holding off on most/all of the out-of-state RDers for now.
Thanks. Out of state - Canadian in fact.

Being Canadian and all, I'm not too familiar with UVA. I got Columbia yesterday without any mention of scholarship...just curious how a UVA full ride stacks up against Columbia? What would be considered the better/stronger offer impartially?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:19 pm

mozhou7 wrote:
mockstar wrote:

Being Canadian and all, I'm not too familiar with UVA. I got Columbia yesterday without any mention of scholarship...just curious how a UVA full ride stacks up against Columbia? What would be considered the better/stronger offer impartially?
Unless you have a strong affinity for NYC, I think it's UVA no question.

Reedie

Bronze

Post by Reedie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:30 pm

mozhou7 wrote: Being Canadian and all, I'm not too familiar with UVA. I got Columbia yesterday without any mention of scholarship...just curious how a UVA full ride stacks up against Columbia? What would be considered the better/stronger offer impartially?
I think it's tough to make that kind of comparison. I'd personally take UVA in a New York minute, but some might not. Nobody places better in New York's big law firms than Columbia. But with the huge debt burden you would incur at sticker, your options at graduation would be very constrained. At UVA the modest cost of living and 0 tuition would allow you to graduate with a great degree and a low enough amount of debt to do basically what you want at graduation.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:46 pm

Reedie wrote:
mozhou7 wrote: Being Canadian and all, I'm not too familiar with UVA. I got Columbia yesterday without any mention of scholarship...just curious how a UVA full ride stacks up against Columbia? What would be considered the better/stronger offer impartially?
I think it's tough to make that kind of comparison. I'd personally take UVA in a New York minute, but some might not. Nobody places better in New York's big law firms than Columbia. But with the huge debt burden you would incur at sticker, your options at graduation would be very constrained. At UVA the modest cost of living and 0 tuition would allow you to graduate with a great degree and a low enough amount of debt to do basically what you want at graduation.

This is great advice. I'd take UVA as well, unless you're 100% dead set on NYC biglaw.

jocelyne

Bronze

Post by jocelyne » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:09 pm

(updated once)
Last edited by jocelyne on Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:11 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
Reedie wrote:

This is great advice. I'd take UVA as well, unless you're 100% dead set on NYC biglaw.
It's worth waiting to hear if Columbia offers any of the smaller aid packages in March or April, though. $10k/yr could maybe make Columbia more worthwhile, depending on career goals.

Walfredo47

New

Post by Walfredo47 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:19 pm

VoidSix wrote:
mozhou7 wrote:
mockstar wrote:

Unless you have a strong affinity for NYC, I think it's UVA no question.
+1

xokel87

Bronze

Post by xokel87 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:22 pm

WL email today around 4pm -- was pending review 12/10. out of state.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:32 pm

xokel87 wrote:WL email today around 4pm -- was pending review 12/10. out of state.
That's lame, mind sharing stats?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”