UVA 2010, RD Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
astro1819

Bronze

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Post by astro1819 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:09 pm

hannah87 wrote:
astro1819 wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
tarheel wrote:I got a combined merit/need offer via e-mail today!
congrats!! i think im screwed.
I don't think so, not yet anyway. I suspect many combined more merit/need offers will go out in the next week. That said, we have very similar numbers, so I hope for your sake and mine that they love 168/3.9 candidates this year!
me too! $ would really help my SO come around to the idea of moving there.
Same here!! Although my girlfriend likes UVA quite a bit, so I think I have slightly less convincing to do. Still, it would help us disregard all the other good offers we're considering.

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:11 pm

astro1819 wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
astro1819 wrote:
I don't think so, not yet anyway. I suspect many combined more merit/need offers will go out in the next week. That said, we have very similar numbers, so I hope for your sake and mine that they love 168/3.9 candidates this year!
me too! $ would really help my SO come around to the idea of moving there.
Same here!! Although my girlfriend likes UVA quite a bit, so I think I have slightly less convincing to do. Still, it would help us disregard all the other good offers we're considering.
agreed! nice job with ucla and mich btw! good luck with the scholarship :)

opus127

Bronze

Post by opus127 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:30 pm

eas331 wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:I got a combined merit/need offer via e-mail today!
tarheel wrote:The one I got this morning was not Need Based, only Merit
Did you guys just learn the amount in the e-mail from the Financial Aid Office (rather than in a letter from the Dean)? If so, how do you know whether the scholarship amount was need or merit based?
OK, just got my letter in the mail. My scholarship amount is merit-based. :?

Saya

Bronze

Post by Saya » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:53 pm

Just got the email. Sorry, this is going to sound really noob, but need-based aid = loans? They listed a Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford Loan and Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan amount under my award description. But federal loans aren't available to international students? :?

astro1819

Bronze

Post by astro1819 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:13 pm

eas331 wrote:
eas331 wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:I got a combined merit/need offer via e-mail today!
tarheel wrote:The one I got this morning was not Need Based, only Merit
Did you guys just learn the amount in the e-mail from the Financial Aid Office (rather than in a letter from the Dean)? If so, how do you know whether the scholarship amount was need or merit based?
OK, just got my letter in the mail. My scholarship amount is merit-based. :?
Congrats on the scholly! Aren't the smaller amounts, like 10k per year, combined merit/need scholarships?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

astro1819

Bronze

Post by astro1819 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:13 pm

hannah87 wrote: agreed! nice job with ucla and mich btw! good luck with the scholarship :)
Thanks!

opus127

Bronze

Post by opus127 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:31 pm

astro1819 wrote:
eas331 wrote: OK, just got my letter in the mail. My scholarship amount is merit-based. :?
Congrats on the scholly! Aren't the smaller amounts, like 10k per year, combined merit/need scholarships?
Thanks. I'd say my need is greater than my merit, but the letter only mentioned my credentials, not my poverty. :wink:

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:14 pm

Just got $45k total over three years. I know I am crazy for this, but it's probably not enough to keep me from WUSTL.

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:18 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:Just got $45k total over three years. I know I am crazy for this, but it's probably not enough to keep me from WUSTL.
congrats. did your merit $ offer come via email? all i got was the need-based email telling me i am awarded the full amount in stafford and gradplus loans.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:24 pm

hannah87 wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:Just got $45k total over three years. I know I am crazy for this, but it's probably not enough to keep me from WUSTL.
congrats. did your merit $ offer come via email? all i got was the need-based email telling me i am awarded the full amount in stafford and gradplus loans.
Yes, email. I've been out of town for a week, so there could be snail mail waiting for me as well.

I'm in state, but originally from the Midwest and I don't mind working there, so that's why a near full-ride at WUSTL is so appealing to me.

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:25 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
Yes, email. I've been out of town for a week, so there could be snail mail waiting for me as well.

I'm in state, but originally from the Midwest and I don't mind working there, so that's why a near full-ride at WUSTL is so appealing to me.
thanks! it sounds like WUSTL makes more sense for you. good luck!!

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:30 pm

hannah87 wrote:
Same question here. I just got the email from the financial aid office indicating loan amounts a moment ago. Those of you who have received scholly notifications, have you received the email from the financial aid office? Was the amount of loan money available reduced by the amount of your scholarship? For example, my email indicates that I will be eligible for $67,700 in loans (I am out-of-state, married, and will have two children by the time school starts). (Geez, that's a daunting number.) If you were offered, say, $25K/year, is your loan amount listed as $25-35K less than this? Thanks.

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:32 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
Same question here. I just got the email from the financial aid office indicating loan amounts a moment ago. Those of you who have received scholly notifications, have you received the email from the financial aid office? Was the amount of loan money available reduced by the amount of your scholarship? For example, my email indicates that I will be eligible for $67,700 in loans (I am out-of-state, married, and will have two children by the time school starts). (Geez, that's a daunting number.) If you were offered, say, $25K/year, is your loan amount listed as $25-35K less than this? Thanks.
IF you were offered a scholarship you received a note in the mail. Also, it was listed on the email. So it said like 25k scholarship and 23 k in loans or something.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

astro1819

Bronze

Post by astro1819 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:49 pm

Just got the email, no scholarship, just loans. Was hoping for at least a little bit, and now I'm planning to ask them to match Michigan's offer, at the least. Has anyone had any success with this type of negotiation?

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:31 pm

astro1819 wrote:Just got the email, no scholarship, just loans. Was hoping for at least a little bit, and now I'm planning to ask them to match Michigan's offer, at the least. Has anyone had any success with this type of negotiation?
They wouldnt come close to Cornells offer or match Chicago or Dukes offer for me. So it was unsuccessful even for a higher ranked school like Chicago. But I would still try and see.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:43 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
astro1819 wrote:Just got the email, no scholarship, just loans. Was hoping for at least a little bit, and now I'm planning to ask them to match Michigan's offer, at the least. Has anyone had any success with this type of negotiation?
They wouldnt come close to Cornells offer or match Chicago or Dukes offer for me. So it was unsuccessful even for a higher ranked school like Chicago. But I would still try and see.
Are you in state?

alirod12

Bronze

Post by alirod12 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:59 pm

90k dean's scholarship last week

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rupert.pupkin

New

Post by rupert.pupkin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:57 pm

90k deans.

Will have to seriously consider. Do they drug test for softball? May have to get in touch with my friend Victor.

big_blue79

Bronze

Post by big_blue79 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Submitted my LOCI last Friday and got a very nice reply with follow up questions from the Director of Admissions. I'm not sure if this is normal, but I feel decent about it. If UVA matches Michigan I might even turn down NYU for them...

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:35 pm

big_blue79 wrote:Submitted my LOCI last Friday and got a very nice reply with follow up questions from the Director of Admissions. I'm not sure if this is normal, but I feel decent about it. If UVA matches Michigan I might even turn down NYU for them...
Does anyone know if this scenario is realistic (getting in off the waitlist yet still receiving a scholarship)? I would personally be pretty ticked off if the school accepted me and didn't offer me a scholarship, then ended up offering one to someone whom they had originally put off.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:40 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
big_blue79 wrote:Submitted my LOCI last Friday and got a very nice reply with follow up questions from the Director of Admissions. I'm not sure if this is normal, but I feel decent about it. If UVA matches Michigan I might even turn down NYU for them...
Does anyone know if this scenario is realistic (getting in off the waitlist yet still receiving a scholarship)? I would personally be pretty ticked off if the school accepted me and didn't offer me a scholarship, then ended up offering one to someone whom they had originally put off.
It happened to me at a T30 school last admissions cycle I went through. It actually happened with a few of the people they accepted off the WL, since I remember a number of different people posting about it in that school's TLS thread.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gwgirl

New

Post by gwgirl » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:27 am

According to the curt response I received from the dean when I sent a scholarship reconsideration request, there won't be any more merit money going out until after they receive their first round of deposits on April 30th. So I suppose in that sense people on the waitlist do have a chance at getting money, but not necessarily OVER people who were already accepted (so long as those RD people are willing to put down a deposit and turn down other merit offers just to wait and see if UVA feels like being generous!)

Apple Tree

Bronze

Post by Apple Tree » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:39 am

Well it's official. Just finished withdrawing from other schools and sent in my seat deposits. :D

astro1819

Bronze

Post by astro1819 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:18 pm

gwgirl wrote:According to the curt response I received from the dean when I sent a scholarship reconsideration request, there won't be any more merit money going out until after they receive their first round of deposits on April 30th. So I suppose in that sense people on the waitlist do have a chance at getting money, but not necessarily OVER people who were already accepted (so long as those RD people are willing to put down a deposit and turn down other merit offers just to wait and see if UVA feels like being generous!)
This doesn't make sense, why would they offer more money after the deposit is placed and other scholarship offers are turned down? There would be no leverage on the applicant's part and no incentive for UVA to offer scholarship.

MAYBE if someone placed deposits at multiple schools this would potentially happen, but I don't see why the school would wait until after the deposit deadline.

astro1819

Bronze

Post by astro1819 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:20 pm

Apple Tree wrote:Well it's official. Just finished withdrawing from other schools and sent in my seat deposits. :D
Congrats!!! I didn't receive a comparable scholarship after all, but if I were in your shoes, I would definitely have made the same choice! I still may end up at UVA, but my decision may come down to cost over rankings.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”