IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:04 pm

Are people REALLY that friendly in Austin?

Like on a scale of 12-36 how friendly is the town? Keep in mind Ive spent ,my whole life in the Northeast- only moving to (barely) the mid-west for undergrad. I have spent like ZERO time in the South

User avatar
utcris410
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby utcris410 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:05 pm

Austin is laid-back. Strictly opinion, but people in Texas are friendly! :)

User avatar
catharsis
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:48 am

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby catharsis » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:06 pm

chico, i think you'll find Texans welcoming and friendly. i havent met any of the law students in person but if our TLS UT members are anything like the entire student body we're going to be around some intelligent and friendly people.

texasgirl22
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:43 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby texasgirl22 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:09 pm

agreed. also from austin, and i think the people are great. it should be pretty cold this weekend, but i think you'll have a good time! pm me if you have any questions!

User avatar
JordynAsh
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby JordynAsh » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:10 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:Visiting Austin tomorrow/staying downtown. Any suggestions on where to go and what to see. Will be there till Sunday morning


I definitely recommend a movie at the Alamo Drafthouse Ritz (on 6th St.) if you can. If you're staying late enough on Sunday, Moonshine on 3rd & Red River has an excellent buffet brunch. If you're the outdoorsy type, renting a kayak on Lake Austin or Town Lake are great for renting a kayak or running/walking, respectively. If you like beer, check out the Ginger Man on 3rd. If you're bringing an SO, s'mores for 2 at Halcyon on 5th St. is a must.

Hope you enjoy your trip, whatever you end up doing!

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:12 pm

thanks for all the feedback-srsly cant wait

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:12 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:Are people REALLY that friendly in Austin?


Yes, unless you support OU.

chicoalto0649 wrote:Like on a scale of 12-36 how friendly is the town? Keep in mind Ive spent ,my whole life in the Northeast- only moving to (barely) the mid-west for undergrad. I have spent like ZERO time in the South


You won't regret moving here, unless you dislike good food, natural beauty, and generally good weather. If you're an outgoing person who's down-to-earth, you'll be fine.

On a scale of 12-36, I give it an A-.

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:13 pm

Also forgot, hit up Doc's Motorworks on South Congress.

Edit for memory fail.

texasgirl22
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:43 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby texasgirl22 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:14 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:Are people REALLY that friendly in Austin?

Like on a scale of 12-36 how friendly is the town? Keep in mind Ive spent ,my whole life in the Northeast- only moving to (barely) the mid-west for undergrad. I have spent like ZERO time in the South



also, i don't think austin is reflective of most of the south. it's pretty liberal. that being said, the people are still friendly and laidback. for the most part, no deep southern accents or traditional customs. on a scale of 12-36, i would say 28 in friendliness haha

lalalalaw
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby lalalalaw » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:15 pm

Does Texas give any travel subsidies for ASW?

texasgirl22
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:43 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby texasgirl22 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:15 pm

oh and are you going downtown at night? you have to go to 6th street if you like to go out

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:17 pm

texasgirl22 wrote:oh and are you going downtown at night? you have to go to 6th street if you like to go out



Yup that's def happening. Havent been out in forever cuz of school/applications but now that I am complete I def could use a break/ R&R

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby JazzOne » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:19 pm

lalalalaw wrote:Does Texas give any travel subsidies for ASW?

They did last year. I didn't personally use one because I live in Texas, and I have family in Austin. But I recall Dean Sager talking about travel reimbursements. Just call the admissions office. They are super friendly, and if you've already been accepted, they will help you get the information.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby JazzOne » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:20 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
texasgirl22 wrote:oh and are you going downtown at night? you have to go to 6th street if you like to go out



Yup that's def happening. Havent been out in forever cuz of school/applications but now that I am complete I def could use a break/ R&R

IMO, 6th Street is a bit overrated. There is a French restaurant on the east side called Justine's. It's on 5th Street, and I HIGHLY recommend the pork chop. The ratatouille isn't bad either. Make it an early dinner unless you don't mind waiting.

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:22 pm

JazzOne wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
texasgirl22 wrote:oh and are you going downtown at night? you have to go to 6th street if you like to go out



Yup that's def happening. Havent been out in forever cuz of school/applications but now that I am complete I def could use a break/ R&R

IMO, 6th Street is a bit overrated. There is a French restaurant on the east side called Justine's. It's on 5th Street, and I HIGHLY recommend the pork chop. The ratatouille isn't bad either. Make it an early dinner unless you don't mind waiting.


Not a go out and club/grind on a poor unsuspecting girl kinda guy. More like a find a chill bar and drink beers i've never heard of and see how the townies live. Not trying to do fine dining either....Im sure ill figure it out

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:22 pm

JazzOne wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
texasgirl22 wrote:oh and are you going downtown at night? you have to go to 6th street if you like to go out



Yup that's def happening. Havent been out in forever cuz of school/applications but now that I am complete I def could use a break/ R&R

IMO, 6th Street is a bit overrated. There is a French restaurant on the east side called Justine's. It's on 5th Street, and I HIGHLY recommend the pork chop. The ratatouille isn't bad either. Make it an early dinner unless you don't mind waiting.


This is credited. Creme brulee is great too. Definitely get there early. 45 minute wait at 930 on a Sunday night a few weeks ago.

Did any current UT Law students successfully leverage more scholarship money out of UT after other accepts/offers?

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:23 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
texasgirl22 wrote:oh and are you going downtown at night? you have to go to 6th street if you like to go out



Yup that's def happening. Havent been out in forever cuz of school/applications but now that I am complete I def could use a break/ R&R

IMO, 6th Street is a bit overrated. There is a French restaurant on the east side called Justine's. It's on 5th Street, and I HIGHLY recommend the pork chop. The ratatouille isn't bad either. Make it an early dinner unless you don't mind waiting.


Not a go out and club/grind on a poor unsuspecting girl kinda guy. More like a find a chill bar and drink beers i've never heard of and see how the townies live. Not trying to do fine dining either....Im sure ill figure it out


Flying Saucer and Ginger Man are both solid beer joints

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:26 pm

JazzOne wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
texasgirl22 wrote:oh and are you going downtown at night? you have to go to 6th street if you like to go out



Yup that's def happening. Havent been out in forever cuz of school/applications but now that I am complete I def could use a break/ R&R


IMO, 6th Street is a bit overrated. There is a French restaurant on the east side called Justine's. It's on 5th Street, and I HIGHLY recommend the pork chop. The ratatouille isn't bad either. Make it an early dinner unless you don't mind waiting.


This is good advice. Don't neglect the establishments in the warehouse district (4th street).

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:30 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:Not a go out and club/grind on a poor unsuspecting girl kinda guy. More like a find a chill bar and drink beers i've never heard of and see how the townies live. Not trying to do fine dining either....Im sure ill figure it out


Sports bars worth a damn: Third Base is cool, Pluckers is good if you like chicken wings ... Cover 3 is nice if you can make it up to North Austin. It's in the same area as the Alamo Drafthouse.

I live in Austin ... feel free to PM me for more advice about the city.
Last edited by FunkyJD on Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

louboutin
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:11 am

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby louboutin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:32 pm

think i'll end up at UT too. i saw this question earlier, but didn't see an answer... how do you go about negotiating merit aid/ raising a scholarship offer?

joesrevenge
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:27 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby joesrevenge » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:39 pm

I wouldnt say 6th street is overrated. It is if you don't like to get drunk. West 6th or 4th street might be better for you if you like to take it easier but still go out. A lot of law students love 6th (me included).

Btw, from what I have heard (the email hasnt gone out yet) bar review is supposed to be at Union Park - a bar on west 6th - tomorrow night. It would be a good chance to talk to some current law students in a social setting. Im not sure how much the rain will affect the turnout though.

gitls
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:42 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby gitls » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Does anyone have any idea on how successful one might be in negotiating more merit aid out of Texas? I am admitted with what I consider a generous scholarship package. Slightly above 75th on LSAT and at median on GPA. Not URM.

I also have a couple t-14 offers which a lot of people have told me is the way to go, but the money at Texas, the school itself and Austin are all very attractive to me. If they were to give me some more $$, I think I would be all but sold.

Is it even worth trying?

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:46 pm

gitls wrote:Does anyone have any idea on how successful one might be in negotiating more merit aid out of Texas? I am admitted with what I consider a generous scholarship package. Slightly above 75th on LSAT and at median on GPA. Not URM.

I also have a couple t-14 offers which a lot of people have told me is the way to go, but the money at Texas, the school itself and Austin are all very attractive to me. If they were to give me some more $$, I think I would be all but sold.

Is it even worth trying?


Do, or do not. There is no try

gitls
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:42 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby gitls » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:55 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
gitls wrote:Does anyone have any idea on how successful one might be in negotiating more merit aid out of Texas? I am admitted with what I consider a generous scholarship package. Slightly above 75th on LSAT and at median on GPA. Not URM.

I also have a couple t-14 offers which a lot of people have told me is the way to go, but the money at Texas, the school itself and Austin are all very attractive to me. If they were to give me some more $$, I think I would be all but sold.

Is it even worth trying?


Do, or do not. There is no try



Thanks smart ass. You know exactly what I am asking: is there any chance I would be successful in negotiating more aid?

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:56 pm

gitls wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
gitls wrote:Does anyone have any idea on how successful one might be in negotiating more merit aid out of Texas? I am admitted with what I consider a generous scholarship package. Slightly above 75th on LSAT and at median on GPA. Not URM.

I also have a couple t-14 offers which a lot of people have told me is the way to go, but the money at Texas, the school itself and Austin are all very attractive to me. If they were to give me some more $$, I think I would be all but sold.

Is it even worth trying?


Do, or do not. There is no try



Thanks smart ass. You know exactly what I am asking: is there any chance I would be successful in negotiating more aid?



Smartass.....lol. I havn't heard of any success stories of people asking for more money, but you should still try (and tell me your results).




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”