IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kalvano

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby kalvano » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:59 am

southxii wrote: However, Austin is very different than the rest of the state and, as many Texans know, "weird." And i'm not alone in this belief. Just consult any travel website or magazine and you'll find many that agree.

Precisely what I was addressing. Austin isn't any different, it's just as bland and boring. They just have a better marketing department.

But as much as I think Texas is a godawful place to live, some misery might be worth it for many for the quality of the school. And the school is excellent, I don't believe anyone can dispute that.

mcflooter06

Postby mcflooter06 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:40 pm

kalvano wrote:Austin is nothing more than the kid in class who is the same as everyone else, but runs around yelling about how different he is because you haven't heard of the band on his t-shirt.

If there is so much hate towards Texas, then why on earth are you on this board?

I see you went to my undergrad, btw, and I must agree Denton is pretty awful...

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:04 pm

Kalvano's assessment of Austin is hilarious. I have spent far too much time in Texas in my life, and I wouldn't touch any other city in the state with a 30-mile pole...only Austin. I love it there, legitimately. I do think it's an oasis in the middle of a state that usually just makes me feel ill. I've been to 47 states and every major American city -- Austin is absolutely one of my five favorite towns in this country, hands down. Not only is it unlike any other city in Texas -- it's also different from any other city in America.

Also, Kalvano clearly doesn't know how to find a good time. :wink:

But hey, to each his/her own...my opinion isn't any more valid. I'm just surprised, that's all.

moonmaster3

Postby moonmaster3 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:30 pm

kalvano wrote:
southxii wrote: However, Austin is very different than the rest of the state and, as many Texans know, "weird." And i'm not alone in this belief. Just consult any travel website or magazine and you'll find many that agree.

Precisely what I was addressing. Austin isn't any different, it's just as bland and boring. They just have a better marketing department.

But as much as I think Texas is a godawful place to live, some misery might be worth it for many for the quality of the school. And the school is excellent, I don't believe anyone can dispute that.

Have you ever been to Austin before? I've been here for my 4 years of UG and it has to be one of the most diverse places, period. The student body is diverse and there is SO much to do. Heard of ACL? SXSW? 6th Street?

Bland and boring? Where do you even get that from? There is so much to do if you're into art, outdoor activities(green belt), music(probably some of the best venues in America), bars, women, food.

Sorry, but I take offense when people try to play off Austin like it's a chore to live there.

World B. Free

Postby World B. Free » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:33 pm

moonmaster3 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Have you ever been to Austin before? I've been here for my 4 years of UG and it has to be one of the most diverse places, period. The student body is diverse and there is SO much to do. Heard of ACL? SXSW? 6th Street?

Bland and boring? Where do you even get that from? There is so much to do if you're into art, outdoor activities(green belt), music(probably some of the best venues in America), bars, women, food.

Sorry, but I take offense when people try to play off Austin like it's a chore to live there.

!!!

ValiantVic

Postby ValiantVic » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:20 pm

Tex-Mex.

Esc

Postby Esc » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:38 pm

kalvano wrote:

If you live in the suburbs, sure, there's not much difference between Austin and Houston or Dallas. Suburbs are the same regardless of what state they are in - just boring wastelands of bourgeois strip malls and oversized houses. But no one with a brain would live in the suburbs. You live in the city - and the city is completely different from any other Texas city, and much nicer.

Legacy316

Postby Legacy316 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:58 pm

Esc wrote:
kalvano wrote:

If you live in the suburbs, sure, there's not much difference between Austin and Houston or Dallas. Suburbs are the same regardless of what state they are in - just boring wastelands of bourgeois strip malls and oversized houses. But no one with a brain would live in the suburbs. You live in the city - and the city is completely different from any other Texas city, and much nicer.

I've spent time in Houston, Dallas, and Austin, and I can tell you that this is absolutely true. Austin is completely different than any other city in Texas and has a lot going for it. The surrounding hill country is beautiful, the night-life is amazing, and the music and entertainment scene is about as good as it gets. Not wanting to go to UT because it is in ATX is, IMO, the last reason that someone should have for not attending UT Law.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:20 pm

I've lived in Texas all my life, save for a few different times, and Austin, every time I have been there, is nothing but Dallas or Houston with a fake little "wannabe weird" veneer.

Sorry* if you all disagree.

*Not really.

moonmaster3

Postby moonmaster3 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:24 pm

[quote="kalvano"]I've lived in Texas all my life, save for a few different times, and Austin, every time I have been there, is nothing but Dallas or Houston with a fake little "wannabe weird" veneer.

Sorry* if you all disagree.

Where did you do your UG? Sorry you don't like Austin...hopefully the library will offer you refuge during those boring weekends we always have. Yeah...I hear that, cause you know...Dallas and Houston are both big college towns as well. I hear those SMU and UH kids sure can party hard....

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:13 pm

moonmaster3 wrote:Where did you do your UG? Sorry you don't like Austin...hopefully the library will offer you refuge during those boring weekends we always have. Yeah...I hear that, cause you know...Dallas and Houston are both big college towns as well. I hear those SMU and UH kids sure can party hard....

Austin, Dallas, and Houston all pretty much suck equally. It's a universal loathing of Texas, not a city-specific one.

You're welcome to it.

louboutin

Postby louboutin » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:24 pm

sorry to interrupt the Texas debate, but has anyone who received the call on 11/16 received scholarship info yet? I'm a resident so I thought my letter would be here by now...

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:05 pm

let's get back on-topic guys- i think the "we love/hate austin/texas in general" debate can be made on a different thread.

good luck to those still waiting to hear from UT!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:07 pm

catharsis wrote:let's get back on-topic guys- i think the "we love/hate austin/texas in general" debate can be made on a different thread.

+a lot. This thread is designed for those who are excited about / eagerly hoping for acceptance, not those who want to squabble over their regional preferences.

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:44 am

louboutin wrote:sorry to interrupt the Texas debate, but has anyone who received the call on 11/16 received scholarship info yet? I'm a resident so I thought my letter would be here by now...

I did yesterday. Resident, but living out of state

Legacy316

Postby Legacy316 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:19 am

managamy wrote:
catharsis wrote:let's get back on-topic guys- i think the "we love/hate austin/texas in general" debate can be made on a different thread.

+a lot. This thread is designed for those who are excited about / eagerly hoping for acceptance, not those who want to squabble over their regional preferences.

Agreed. But one last word. I HIGHLY encourage anyone interested in UT Law who has never visited Austin and/or Texas, to do so - you might be surprised as to how much you love it!

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:57 am

phew, now that the quarreling is over and done with i have a question- i got a call from a UT student congratulating me on my acceptance last month, but unfortunately I was at work and could not answer. Over a voicemail he mentioned that we would soon have access to the admitted students site (or something of the sort). Does anyone know where that is? Its been over a month.

riburn3

Postby riburn3 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:24 am

Austin is a great place and anyone considering going to UT should really take a visit. If you like great live music, an active nightlife, great bars, great college sports, and like being located in the heart of a big city, UT might be for you. As a Texan myself (not from Austin), Austin is nothing like the rest of Texas. Like others have said, the suburbs are the same everywhere in the country, but the heart and soul of Austin is honestly much more like a city in the Pacific NW with a Texas twist. Austin has a slogan called "Keep Austin Weird", and believe me, once you hop off the airplane and take a trip around town, you will see many citizens try and live by that slogan. It's a great place to be.

As for the whole UT must maintain 65% in-state applicants debate. While I understand the frustration, I respect that the institution and State of Texas as a whole are putting priority on educating their own citizens first over out of staters. Texas residents help fund the UT system, and they should be the majority in their own public education system. I'm all for diversity (which UT is), but educating the citizens of the state (who are more likely stay in state after graduating) should be priority.

strandm2

Postby strandm2 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:54 am

-
Last edited by strandm2 on Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snooker

Postby Snooker » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:34 am

I am curious as to what Kalvano actually did in Austin while here. It is a great place to go to law school. There's something to do for everyone here.

Even Houston has a few perks for graduates. The other major big law options are Los Angeles and New York City. LA is the nastiest city in the world. In New York City, law firms are famous for associate abuse, and even with that salary you still can't afford to buy anything. In Houston at least biglaw grads can live in a nice place near downtown, a short commute to work, and the law firms are much nicer environments than the northern abuse firms.

yournamehere

Postby yournamehere » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:37 pm

the admitted students web site is called freshlaw. It's located here:

http://www.utexas.edu/law/freshlaw/

according to the message there, it won't be up until January.

last year it had some basic information about UT Law, a discussion board, and some other things. Also, there is a facebook group for UT Law Class of 2012, I wouldn't be surprised to see one form soon for the Class of 2013.

Applicant2010

Postby Applicant2010 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:59 pm

Last edited by Applicant2010 on Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:02 pm

Applicant2010 wrote:For people who received scholarships...

Did admissions say you were going to get one in the acceptance call, or did it just show up in the mail two weeks later?

I was accepted on 11/16 by voicemail with no mention of a scholarship. Based on LSN, I think my numbers are in line with other recipients.

Mentioned it in the voicemail for me. Whats your lsat?

Applicant2010

Postby Applicant2010 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:07 pm

Last edited by Applicant2010 on Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

panadera

Postby panadera » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:15 pm

Applicant2010 wrote:For people who received scholarships...

Did admissions say you were going to get one in the acceptance call, or did it just show up in the mail two weeks later?

I was accepted on 11/16 by voicemail with no mention of a scholarship. Based on LSN, I think my numbers are in line with other recipients.

Wasn't mentioned for me, but I was accepted the first week they started to (I got the package first, the scholarship letter and a call a week later). They could be backlogged.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”