IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ValiantVic

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby ValiantVic » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:34 pm

kalvano wrote:
managamy wrote:Wow, that percentage is positively incredible! :shock: :shock: I don't want to offend Texas residents, but doesn't that commitment undercut the quality of the school a bit by reducing its diversity? I'm very glad that I'm not counting on an acceptance from them.

It's a pretty standard percentage among state schools, actually.

40% reserved for in state for Virginia Law
69% enrolled for in state for UCLA

Anyone have other percentages?
Last edited by ValiantVic on Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ValiantVic

Postby ValiantVic » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:35 pm

managamy wrote:
kalvano wrote:There are several that do it.

UW, UNC, and others that I am too lazy to look up.

Point taken. But neither of those is at the level of Texas. I was thinking that since Texas is at #15 despite this policy, perhaps it would be t14 or even t10 without the restriction.

This...or for TLSers TITCR. or for you +a lot.

ValiantVic

Postby ValiantVic » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:36 pm

This reminded me of when I got into UNC undergrad as an out of stater. It's a little overwhelming when only 21% of the people are from out of state.

mcflooter06

Postby mcflooter06 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:37 pm

managamy wrote:

Point taken. But neither of those is at the level of Texas. I was thinking that since Texas is at #15 despite this policy, perhaps it would be t14 or even t10 without the restriction.

For the record, its not a policy in place by UT, but a law put in place by the state of Texas itself.

It really doesn't seem to impact the student body too greatly, however, but it does seem that a great deal of alum DO practice in Texas. The reach is fairly decent (at least as far as Texas says, and we know that can be skewed). If you look at the OCI for California, it is rather extensive.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:38 pm

ValiantVic wrote:
managamy wrote:

This...or for TLSers TITCR. or for you +a lot.

I'm sorry, but that comment was a little cryptic for me. Could you explain?

ValiantVic

Postby ValiantVic » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:43 pm

I meant nothing more then when agreeing with a quote I would usually say "This," TLSers say "TITCR" and then you said "+ a lot." I was just being cheeky.
Last edited by ValiantVic on Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ValiantVic

Postby ValiantVic » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:53 pm

As far as Texas goes the main reason it's attractive to me is that it's located in Austin (birthplace of Whole Foods and Dell). There is also no state income tax which is a plus considering I will be scraping every dollar I can from what will be a crappy economy for the next 5 years at least. In addition it is booming whereas California is slumping due to a variety of factors not least its direct referendum (this adds craploads of govt. programs that we can't pay for), powerful unions (large pensions that the state can't afford) and inability to balance the budget (redistricting creating a polarized lawmaking establishment that can't pass anything or get anything done). And that is coming from the mouth of a Democrat. While California does have Silicon Valley, Hollywood, etc. Texas is growing in the areas of film, bioengineering, and is just pro-start up in general due to the lack of a state income tax and pro-business tax breaks.

All that being said Texas suffers from a lack of good public education due to its lack of funding, which will become an ever more prevalent problem as immigration continues in the state, which in turn will lead to many children being "left behind" who speak English as a second language due to the fact that there are not strong transitional education systems put in place. Of course if you want to go into Immigration Law I think Texas would be the place to be. Ditto to anything that has to do with energy or trade with Mexico or Central America in general. Texas offers more than enough opportunities in state that UT can get away with such a policy, whereas as another fine institution like Cornell (yes I know it's not public but serves as an adequate example) cannot.

To sum it up, if you want to live in Texas and make a career there, UT is a great place to be (Austin is the best city in the country for jobs according to US News I believe or some other poll).

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:05 pm

sorry guys, i just felt i needed to chime in..

HOOOOOKKKK EMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!

I CANT WAIT TO MEET MY NEW CLASSMATES!!!

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:17 pm

ValiantVic wrote:40% reserved for in state for Virginia Law
69% reserved for in state for UCLA

Where'd you get that UCLA # - I thought the UC's said they didn't consider residency at all for admission?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:20 pm

ruleser wrote:

Where'd you get that UCLA # - I thought the UC's said they didn't consider residency at all for admission?

+1. I think that UCLA took 69% from California, which is different from being required to take 69% from California.

Esc

Postby Esc » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:24 pm

managamy wrote:
ruleser wrote:

+1. I think that UCLA took 69% from California, which is different from being required to take 69% from California.

If this is true, the fact that a more-or-less peer institution was achieving the same in-state/out-of-state proportion without an out-of-state cap would seem to support UT's claim that the cap had no practical effect on their class.

ValiantVic

Postby ValiantVic » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:02 pm

Sorry typo. Yeah it wasn't a requirement for UCLA, just the way it turned out. Fixed it.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:42 am

managamy wrote:

It's Texas. Don't try and apply to reason to Texas, dammit. That's Yankee tomfoolery.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:44 am

ValiantVic wrote:As far as Texas goes the main reason it's attractive to me is that it's located in Austin (birthplace of Whole Foods and Dell). There is also no state income tax which is a plus considering I will be scraping every dollar I can from what will be a crappy economy for the next 5 years at least. In addition it is booming whereas California is slumping due to a variety of factors not least its direct referendum (this adds craploads of govt. programs that we can't pay for), powerful unions (large pensions that the state can't afford) and inability to balance the budget (redistricting creating a polarized lawmaking establishment that can't pass anything or get anything done). And that is coming from the mouth of a Democrat. While California does have Silicon Valley, Hollywood, etc. Texas is growing in the areas of film, bioengineering, and is just pro-start up in general due to the lack of a state income tax and pro-business tax breaks.

All that being said Texas suffers from a lack of good public education due to its lack of funding, which will become an ever more prevalent problem as immigration continues in the state, which in turn will lead to many children being "left behind" who speak English as a second language due to the fact that there are not strong transitional education systems put in place. Of course if you want to go into Immigration Law I think Texas would be the place to be. Ditto to anything that has to do with energy or trade with Mexico or Central America in general. Texas offers more than enough opportunities in state that UT can get away with such a policy, whereas as another fine institution like Cornell (yes I know it's not public but serves as an adequate example) cannot.

To sum it up, if you want to live in Texas and make a career there, UT is a great place to be (Austin is the best city in the country for jobs according to US News I believe or some other poll).

Of course, you still have to live in Texas.

So there is that.

billyez

Postby billyez » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:01 am

kalvano wrote:

So there is that.

Yes. There is the privilege of living in the finest state in the Union. Certainly. But I'm sure people will adapt.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:03 am

billyez wrote:
kalvano wrote:

So there is that.

Yes. There is the privilege of living in the finest state in the Union. Certainly. But I'm sure people will adapt.

I wouldn't say privilege, really. I'd consider it more like being waterboarded at the same time your legs are being sawed off in inch-thick slices by a rusty saw.

Esc

Postby Esc » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:19 am

kalvano wrote:
billyez wrote:
kalvano wrote:

So there is that.

I wouldn't say privilege, really. I'd consider it more like being waterboarded at the same time your legs are being sawed off in inch-thick slices by a rusty saw.

Hey, I live in Austin. I'll take that over LA, the Bay Area, NYC, or Chicago any day.

As for Houston or Dallas....no comment.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:24 am

Austin is nothing more than the kid in class who is the same as everyone else, but runs around yelling about how different he is because you haven't heard of the band on his t-shirt.
Last edited by kalvano on Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:24 am

ValiantVic wrote:Sorry typo. Yeah it wasn't a requirement for UCLA, just the way it turned out. Fixed it.

Interesting number though - I assumed since UCLA was so upfront about not giving instate any extra bump it would be much lower instate number - hmmm

southxii

Postby southxii » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:20 am

kalvano wrote:Austin is nothing more than the kid in class who is the same as everyone else, but runs around yelling about how different he is because you haven't heard of the band on his t-shirt.

What? This barely makes sense as an English sentence and falls somewhat short of a complete thought. And, as you so eloquently pointed out, anyone can consider Texas or Austin better or worse than anywhere else in the country. However, I think both of those groups agree that those places, for better or worse, ain't like anywhere else in the country for sure. Or would you describe any other city similarly as well?

Did you jump into a forum to bash a school or the city in which it resides? How awesome of you. I don't believe that benefits either the already admitted or prospective students here.

EDIT: For a typo and, frankly, to be a bit more civil.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:29 am

ruleser wrote:
ValiantVic wrote:Sorry typo. Yeah it wasn't a requirement for UCLA, just the way it turned out. Fixed it.

Interesting number though - I assumed since UCLA was so upfront about not giving instate any extra bump it would be much lower instate number - hmmm

I imagine that a lot of California people with strong stats apply to UCLA as a safety, since it's got a great location.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:36 am

southxii wrote:
kalvano wrote:Austin is nothing more than the kid in class who is the same as everyone else, but runs around yelling about how different he is because you haven't heard of the band on his t-shirt.

What? This barely makes sense as an English sentence and falls somewhat short of a complete thought. And, as you so eloquently pointed out, anyone can consider Texas or Austin better or worse than anywhere else in the country. However, I think both of those groups agree that those places, for better or worse, ain't like anywhere else in the country for sure. Or would you describe any other city similarly as well?

Did you jump into a forum to bash a school or the city in which it resides? How awesome of you. I don't believe that benefits either the already admitted or prospective students here.

EDIT: For a typo and, frankly, to be a bit more civil.

It was directed at the poster directly above that post who drew a distinction between Austin and Dallas / Houston. I aplogize for not having flashing neon lights and arrows to make your reading comprehension a bit easier.

I have several other posts in the thread as well, I was simply following the direction it took. And one of the things I dislike most about Texas is the absolute blandness of it. The cities are not unique snowflakes, they are all the same strip malls and chain restaurants.

Now, where is your outrage for the long soliloquies praising Austin? If you're going to get snippy about me not liking Austin and complain about how it's of no use to prospective students, what about the same treatment for persons who praise Austin? After all, it's the same thing, just a different point of view.

Or is that beyond your reading comprehension level as well?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:45 am

Let's just all call a truce and move on to less incendiary topics...sound good?

southxii

Postby southxii » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:51 am

My "outrage" stemmed from the attacks on the city, state, and school that is the focus of this particular thread. I don't quite understand why it is necessary here. If people are praising the city or school, i would feel that the sentiment would be entirely in line with the title of this thread. Perhaps if there were only one or two exclamation points, i would think that posters in this thread weren't EXCITED to go to Austin. But there are nine, so i think it's safe to assume that the feeling of this thread is one of happiness, not distain that your last three or four posts seem to offer.

(Please realize that my comments are meant to be somewhat funny and, at least i believe, witty. I'm not trying to be negative.)

I believe praise for Austin is very useful to people in this thread, especially those for people out-of-state or who have never lived or visit. As for your "snowflake" theory, it is very valid in describing Fort Worth, College Station, Dallas, and Houston (my hometown.) However, Austin is very different than the rest of the state and, as many Texans know, "weird." And i'm not alone in this belief. Just consult any travel website or magazine and you'll find many that agree.

I just took offense at the "Texas sucks" sentiment in a "yay! I'm happy i'm going/want to go to Texas and want to share that with others!" thread.

And I believe my reading comprehension skills are perfectly fine.

southxii

Postby southxii » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:52 am

managamy wrote:Let's just all call a truce and move on to less incendiary topics...sound good?

My bad. Yes ma'am!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”