IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
austinite13

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby austinite13 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:17 pm

sternc wrote:where's the house austinite?

It is a beautiful home in Spicewood, TX. Actually, just 6 miles from the 620/71 on 3.48 acres. 4 bed 3.5 bath home. Let me know if you know of anyone.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:30 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
los blancos wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:Waitlisted... not sure if it's YP or the out-of-state factor but either way I'm not upset. I am withdrawing from the waitlist today. Good luck everyone!

Ouch, numbers twin... That's strange.

I got the acceptance phone call like 20 minutes ago. No idea what separated me from you, rockchalk. I'm pretty happy about this, as I'd probably take UT over any school below Duke/NU. Now if they can throw some money my way...

Just wait for Berkeley and tell UT to give your money to me. Oh, and congrats.

Thanks! Haha yeah I hope I don't end up having to make a choice. :mrgreen:

KellyD09

Postby KellyD09 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:41 pm

Just got the call a few minutes ago. Complete surprise. 161/3.5/URM/Out of State... Checked status checker this afternoon and it still said "complete."

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:47 pm

Congrats Kelly! Ugh I wish I could get a call too! I'm dying over here!

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:00 pm

los blancos wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:Waitlisted... not sure if it's YP or the out-of-state factor but either way I'm not upset. I am withdrawing from the waitlist today. Good luck everyone!

I got the acceptance phone call like 20 minutes ago. No idea what separated me from you, rockchalk. I'm pretty happy about this, as I'd probably take UT over any school below Duke/NU. Now if they can throw some money my way...

Not sure what they saw but it didn't keep five higher ranked schools from accepting me! I know admission offices communicate so maybe they knew my options... or maybe your app was more impressive.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:12 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:
los blancos wrote:

Not sure what they saw but it didn't keep five higher ranked schools from accepting me! I know admission offices communicate so maybe they knew my options... or maybe your app was more impressive.

Eh, I don't think anything was particularly impressive about mine (I didn't even mention UT at all). In order to get into Penn with your/our numbers, you typically need to have something nice on there. YP doesn't make sense because my GPA is higher.

The only thing I can think of is the diversity factor.

Enjoy coaxing scholly $$$ out of your other options. :mrgreen:

havefaithl6

Postby havefaithl6 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:08 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
los blancos wrote:

Just wait for Berkeley and tell UT to give your money to me. Oh, and congrats.

rockchalk I am a number twin as well and also got WL wed. I wonder what made them WL us and accept others.

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:50 am

Got the call this afternoon - woot!! 172/3.5(3.9)/OOS. My mom will definitely be pulling for me to move back to Tx (grew up in DFW area).

So far I have a few good offers on the table so it's going to be a tough decision for me - but I feel lucky to be able to make a choice.

Need to read back in the thread and see when scholly info is given - is it in the mailed admissions packet? I was driving when I got the call so wasn't able to ask much in the way of questions. Also need to look and see when ASD is.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:26 am

lt0826 wrote:Got the call this afternoon - woot!! 172/3.5(3.9)/OOS. My mom will definitely be pulling for me to move back to Tx (grew up in DFW area).

So far I have a few good offers on the table so it's going to be a tough decision for me - but I feel lucky to be able to make a choice.

Need to read back in the thread and see when scholly info is given - is it in the mailed admissions packet? I was driving when I got the call so wasn't able to ask much in the way of questions. Also need to look and see when ASD is.

Congrats! I'm curious as to how a 3.5 becomes a 3.9?

Center2450

Postby Center2450 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:00 pm

Just got placed on UT waitlist. Anyone know anything about their waitlist and the history with taking students off of it. Is it even a tiny victory to get placed on it or do they put tons of people on it?

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:21 am

CardinalRules wrote:
lt0826 wrote:Got the call this afternoon - woot!! 172/3.5(3.9)/OOS. My mom will definitely be pulling for me to move back to Tx (grew up in DFW area).

Scholarship package is mailed within about 2 weeks of the call. From what I've seen/heard 167 is the min. for $. Wondering which one of your GPAs is the LSAC one? If its the 3.9, you should be fine for some money.

ASD is March 25-26 I believe?

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:05 am

CardinalRules wrote:

3.9 is my degree GPA from my last 2.5 years of school. I went to college right after high school. Had a lot of family and financial issues and did badly, including having a death in the family which ended up being punitive withdrawals for LSAC (F's). Went back to school a decade later and had almost all A's with a smattering of A+'s. So official LSAC GPA is 3.5 and LSAC shows me with a 3.9 from the school granting my degree. Strong upward GPA trend for a soft.

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:08 am

UTaylor526 wrote:Scholarship package is mailed within about 2 weeks of the call. From what I've seen/heard 167 is the min. for $. Wondering which one of your GPAs is the LSAC one? If its the 3.9, you should be fine for some money.

ASD is March 25-26 I believe?

Thanks for the info. LSAC shows 3.5 as official GPA and 3.9 as GPA from my degree granting institution. I am a non-trad with a big gap in education and a huge improvement in GPA after returning to school. Explained a little more in prior post.

Sadly I can't make it out on the 25th :-(. Will definitely visit in the next month or two though.

evergirl23

Postby evergirl23 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:07 pm

Got the call this afternoon! 167/3.75/OOS. So flustered I am not even sure of the name of the woman who called me - I think it was Dean Ingram..feel kind of silly that I don't know for sure.

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:36 pm

gitls wrote:The continuing education price is the locked in rate that 2Ls and 3Ls get to keep paying. Incoming 1Ls on the other hand pay something slightly more. Next year if they choose to increase tuition, our rates will be listed under the continuing education column and the new incoming 1Ls (those a year behind us) would have the increased rate. I think they try to hold your tuition constant.

By "hold tuition constant", does it mean the total tuition cost or just the tuition rate? As far as I can tell from the website, 2L & 3L take 28 hours compared to 1L's 30 hours, right? So my second and third year's tuition should be cheaper than my first year? At least that's what the lady at the financial office told me.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:36 pm

Apple Tree wrote:
gitls wrote:The continuing education price is the locked in rate that 2Ls and 3Ls get to keep paying. Incoming 1Ls on the other hand pay something slightly more. Next year if they choose to increase tuition, our rates will be listed under the continuing education column and the new incoming 1Ls (those a year behind us) would have the increased rate. I think they try to hold your tuition constant.

By "hold tuition constant", does it mean the total tuition cost or just the tuition rate? As far as I can tell from the website, 2L & 3L take 28 hours compared to 1L's 30 hours, right? So my second and third year's tuition should be cheaper than my first year? At least that's what the lady at the financial office told me.

Isn't it flat tuition rate over 24 hours?

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:22 pm

So the lady at the financial aid office was wrong? She told me it would be less because it's less credits.

I know this is normally not a big deal, but I pretty much have to make a decision on where to go on how this works. UT and Vandy virtually gave me the same scholarship and I have to pay $1000 more at UT than Vandy. But if I can pay less in my 2nd and 3rd years at UT, I'm going with UT; if not, I'm going with Vandy. I like both schools a lot so it really comes down to whichever one I have to pay less at.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:33 pm

Apple Tree wrote:So the lady at the financial aid office was wrong? She told me it would be less because it's less credits.

I know this is normally not a big deal, but I pretty much have to make a decision on where to go on how this works. UT and Vandy virtually gave me the same scholarship and I have to pay $1000 more at UT than Vandy. But if I can pay less in my 2nd and 3rd years at UT, I'm going with UT; if not, I'm going with Vandy. I like both schools a lot so it really comes down to whichever one I have to pay less at.

I think you are right, you save some money with the drop from 28 from 30 hours. Don't forget to account for COL differences though.

http://www.utexas.edu/tuition/attach/2009_10_Fall_Spring_Grad_Tuition.pdf

yournamehere

Postby yournamehere » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:09 pm

buy land. get residency. profit.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:19 pm

Apple Tree wrote:So the lady at the financial aid office was wrong? She told me it would be less because it's less credits.

A few thousand bucks is negligible. Pick the school you like better, IMO.

jelizabeth88

Postby jelizabeth88 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:37 am

yournamehere wrote:buy land. get residency. profit.

where does one find some cheap land for sale in texas? :mrgreen:

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:39 am

jelizabeth88 wrote:

Does that really work to get residency tuition? I didn't know you could qualify at any time other than the time of admission.

jelizabeth88

Postby jelizabeth88 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:45 am

Jericwithers wrote:
jelizabeth88 wrote:

Does that really work to get residency tuition? I didn't know you could qualify at any time other than the time of admission.

A domicile in Texas is presumed if, at least 12 months prior to the census date of the semester in which he or she is to enroll, at least one of the following applies: 1) the person owns real property in Texas, 2) the person owns a business in Texas, 3) the person is married to someone who has established a domicile in Texas, 4) the person has had gainful employment other than work-study and other such student employment in Texas.

I believe you also have to physically reside in the state for a complete year, which means spending your 1l summer in texas.

But I live in NM and by no means am an authority on this.

jelizabeth88

Postby jelizabeth88 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:48 am

Sorry I didn't answer your question, you can establish residency after you are admitted for 2L. FAFSA and all that is renewed each year.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:17 am

JazzOne wrote:

A few thousand bucks is negligible. Pick the school you like better, IMO.

Jazz, is there anything about UT that would sway you to take it over Duke? I haven't done too much research, but it seems like Duke's placement is significantly better... Does the NLJ250 underrate Texas firms (and thus UT placement)?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”