IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby JazzOne » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:48 pm

gmichaelbluth wrote:I'm not able to make the ASD, but UT is on my top schools list, so I definitely want to visit. Thoughts on whether it would it be more beneficial to tour the school, sit in on a class, etc., on a Friday or Monday morning?

If you want to sit in on a class, I suggest you do it on a Monday. There are very few classes that meet on Fridays, and those that do are upper-level courses.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:09 pm

JazzOne wrote:
gmichaelbluth wrote:I'm not able to make the ASD, but UT is on my top schools list, so I definitely want to visit. Thoughts on whether it would it be more beneficial to tour the school, sit in on a class, etc., on a Friday or Monday morning?

If you want to sit in on a class, I suggest you do it on a Monday. There are very few classes that meet on Fridays, and those that do are upper-level courses.


I've been meaning to ask this of a current 1L, are the classes for your 1st year m-f or m-th? What time did your typical last class of the day end? Seems like you answered my question, but I just want to make sure because I know all 1L classes are assigned at UT.

Esc
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby Esc » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:24 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
gmichaelbluth wrote:I'm not able to make the ASD, but UT is on my top schools list, so I definitely want to visit. Thoughts on whether it would it be more beneficial to tour the school, sit in on a class, etc., on a Friday or Monday morning?

If you want to sit in on a class, I suggest you do it on a Monday. There are very few classes that meet on Fridays, and those that do are upper-level courses.


I've been meaning to ask this of a current 1L, are the classes for your 1st year m-f or m-th? What time did your typical last class of the day end? Seems like you answered my question, but I just want to make sure because I know all 1L classes are assigned at UT.


Almost always M-Th, but occasionally once every couple years a section will have friday classes if the administration can't fit the schedule any other way.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:31 pm

Esc wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
gmichaelbluth wrote:I'm not able to make the ASD, but UT is on my top schools list, so I definitely want to visit. Thoughts on whether it would it be more beneficial to tour the school, sit in on a class, etc., on a Friday or Monday morning?

If you want to sit in on a class, I suggest you do it on a Monday. There are very few classes that meet on Fridays, and those that do are upper-level courses.


I've been meaning to ask this of a current 1L, are the classes for your 1st year m-f or m-th? What time did your typical last class of the day end? Seems like you answered my question, but I just want to make sure because I know all 1L classes are assigned at UT.


Almost always M-Th, but occasionally once every couple years a section will have friday classes if the administration can't fit the schedule any other way.


Awesome, thanks. I've become so accustomed to 3 day weekends that it would screw up my productivity to not have it.

User avatar
catharsis
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:48 am

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby catharsis » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:53 pm

I just got back from visiting Austin in search of a place to live. I stopped by the law school and I was greeted by several students who smiled and were very friendly. I even asked a few questions to a couple of them and they were beyond helpful. I wasn't able to really browse around as much as I wanted because I was there on a mission (specifically to search around for apartments) but I was very happy with my short time there. I just felt compelled to post that. It will no doubt be an honor to be part of the Longhorn tradition.

To those who are going to ASW PM me! TLS'ers should get the same hotel together and I'm in the planning stages for selecting a nice, close, and well-priced hotel. For the people who PMed me, I havent forgotten about ya! Work has been busy and I'll be PMing you in the next day or so with all of the information to see what you guys think. :D

HOOK 'EM!!!!!!!

jelizabeth88
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:45 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby jelizabeth88 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:49 pm

I'm definitely going to go to ASW since I've never been to Austin and I want to check out the school before I make a decision. I was looking at hostels, found this http://www.hiaustin.org/ and, unless someone has anything objectionable to stay about it, I think I might just go the cheapest route possible. But if anyone has stayed at the place and it was hella awful, pleasepleasePLEASE let me know. Thanks! :)

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:12 am

jelizabeth88 wrote:I'm definitely going to go to ASW since I've never been to Austin and I want to check out the school before I make a decision. I was looking at hostels, found this http://www.hiaustin.org/ and, unless someone has anything objectionable to stay about it, I think I might just go the cheapest route possible. But if anyone has stayed at the place and it was hella awful, pleasepleasePLEASE let me know. Thanks! :)


No opinions on that place, but it seems kind of far from the campus (not sure if you are bringing a car or not). There are some Bed 'n Breakfast's in west campus if you are having to walk/bus. I have no recommendations though.

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby FunkyJD » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:01 am

FWIW, you can get some incredible deals on hotels in NW Austin on Hotwire. I've gotten three-star hotels for under $40 a night on occasion. Otherwise, you should be able to get something reasonable for near or under $50/night.

tkolax
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:24 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby tkolax » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:31 am

i'm waiting to hear back from ut, i applied in November, so it's taking them long enough. i think they are making me sweat it out because i'm a sooner

Torvon
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby Torvon » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Does anyone know if UT sends any kind of acknowledgment that they have received a LOCI?

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby beef wellington » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:03 pm

Why hasn't Texas waitlisted anyone?

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:11 pm

beef wellington wrote:Why hasn't Texas waitlisted anyone?


Texas is assuming 100% yield, so there is no need. They are that good.

User avatar
UTaylor526
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:45 am

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby UTaylor526 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:41 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
beef wellington wrote:Why hasn't Texas waitlisted anyone?


Texas is assuming 100% yield, so there is no need. They are that good.


Let the Chuck Norris jokes commence.

My personal favorite:

Texas doesn't go hunting. Hunting implies failure. Texas goes killing.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:48 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
beef wellington wrote:Why hasn't Texas waitlisted anyone?


Texas is assuming 100% yield, so there is no need. They are that good.


Let the Chuck Norris jokes commence.

My personal favorite:

Texas doesn't go hunting. Hunting implies failure. Texas goes killing.


Lol I've never heard that. Funny.

tkolax
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:24 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby tkolax » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:08 pm

does anybody know when ut will make most of the decisions by?

legendwaitforitdairy
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:21 am

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby legendwaitforitdairy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:30 am

Has anybody who got held earlier this year heard anything back yet?

choochoo
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:59 am

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby choochoo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:35 am

legendwaitforitdairy wrote:Has anybody who got held earlier this year heard anything back yet?



Yeah, I was held from November and got my rejection letter today...

legendwaitforitdairy
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:21 am

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby legendwaitforitdairy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:51 am

choochoo wrote:
legendwaitforitdairy wrote:Has anybody who got held earlier this year heard anything back yet?



Yeah, I was held from November and got my rejection letter today...


I'm sorry to hear that...thanks for the answer though...i'm not sure what to expect...good luck with the rest of your applications!

Apple Tree
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby Apple Tree » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:29 am

For those of you who are trying to find a nice hotel at a decent price, also try the "name your own price" on priceline.com. I always used it when I went to stay at a big city. Here is a link to how much people bid for hotels in Austin:
http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/forums ... ustin.html

RSN_M3
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:51 am

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby RSN_M3 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:58 am

choochoo wrote:
legendwaitforitdairy wrote:Has anybody who got held earlier this year heard anything back yet?



Yeah, I was held from November and got my rejection letter today...

Oh man, sorry to hear. My rejection must not be far behind.

imisscollege
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby imisscollege » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:25 am

I think it'd be sweet if we all coordinated staying downtown or something, at least some of us TLSers all in one hotel. Anybody in?

User avatar
philosoraptor
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:49 am

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby philosoraptor » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:11 am

imisscollege wrote:I think it'd be sweet if we all coordinated staying downtown or something, at least some of us TLSers all in one hotel. Anybody in?


PM catharsis -- I think he/she is already doing some research about best prices, etc. Maybe we should also have a thread in the ASW section?

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:36 pm

UT admits: look in your mailbox.

User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby Sogui » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:12 pm

I've got a nice couch someone can sleep on, I share a house with 4 other guys and we're all pretty chill.

/actuallykindaserious

Jericwithers wrote:UT admits: look in your mailbox.


Mailbox or inbox? I live in Austin and my mailbox had law school related delivered today.

vmmf
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:55 pm

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby vmmf » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:16 pm

legendwaitforitdairy wrote:Has anybody who got held earlier this year heard anything back yet?


Those who got held, did you get an email about this? I am asking because I am still complete as of November, but I never received anything about being held.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], oliviaj_j, siyuanff and 5 guests