IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JazzOne

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby JazzOne » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:48 pm

gmichaelbluth wrote:I'm not able to make the ASD, but UT is on my top schools list, so I definitely want to visit. Thoughts on whether it would it be more beneficial to tour the school, sit in on a class, etc., on a Friday or Monday morning?

If you want to sit in on a class, I suggest you do it on a Monday. There are very few classes that meet on Fridays, and those that do are upper-level courses.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:09 pm

JazzOne wrote:
gmichaelbluth wrote:I'm not able to make the ASD, but UT is on my top schools list, so I definitely want to visit. Thoughts on whether it would it be more beneficial to tour the school, sit in on a class, etc., on a Friday or Monday morning?

If you want to sit in on a class, I suggest you do it on a Monday. There are very few classes that meet on Fridays, and those that do are upper-level courses.

I've been meaning to ask this of a current 1L, are the classes for your 1st year m-f or m-th? What time did your typical last class of the day end? Seems like you answered my question, but I just want to make sure because I know all 1L classes are assigned at UT.

Esc

Postby Esc » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:24 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

I've been meaning to ask this of a current 1L, are the classes for your 1st year m-f or m-th? What time did your typical last class of the day end? Seems like you answered my question, but I just want to make sure because I know all 1L classes are assigned at UT.

Almost always M-Th, but occasionally once every couple years a section will have friday classes if the administration can't fit the schedule any other way.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:31 pm

Esc wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Almost always M-Th, but occasionally once every couple years a section will have friday classes if the administration can't fit the schedule any other way.

Awesome, thanks. I've become so accustomed to 3 day weekends that it would screw up my productivity to not have it.

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:53 pm

I just got back from visiting Austin in search of a place to live. I stopped by the law school and I was greeted by several students who smiled and were very friendly. I even asked a few questions to a couple of them and they were beyond helpful. I wasn't able to really browse around as much as I wanted because I was there on a mission (specifically to search around for apartments) but I was very happy with my short time there. I just felt compelled to post that. It will no doubt be an honor to be part of the Longhorn tradition.

To those who are going to ASW PM me! TLS'ers should get the same hotel together and I'm in the planning stages for selecting a nice, close, and well-priced hotel. For the people who PMed me, I havent forgotten about ya! Work has been busy and I'll be PMing you in the next day or so with all of the information to see what you guys think. :D

HOOK 'EM!!!!!!!

jelizabeth88

Postby jelizabeth88 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:49 pm

I'm definitely going to go to ASW since I've never been to Austin and I want to check out the school before I make a decision. I was looking at hostels, found this http://www.hiaustin.org/ and, unless someone has anything objectionable to stay about it, I think I might just go the cheapest route possible. But if anyone has stayed at the place and it was hella awful, pleasepleasePLEASE let me know. Thanks! :)

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:12 am

jelizabeth88 wrote:I'm definitely going to go to ASW since I've never been to Austin and I want to check out the school before I make a decision. I was looking at hostels, found this http://www.hiaustin.org/ and, unless someone has anything objectionable to stay about it, I think I might just go the cheapest route possible. But if anyone has stayed at the place and it was hella awful, pleasepleasePLEASE let me know. Thanks! :)

No opinions on that place, but it seems kind of far from the campus (not sure if you are bringing a car or not). There are some Bed 'n Breakfast's in west campus if you are having to walk/bus. I have no recommendations though.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:01 am

FWIW, you can get some incredible deals on hotels in NW Austin on Hotwire. I've gotten three-star hotels for under $40 a night on occasion. Otherwise, you should be able to get something reasonable for near or under $50/night.

tkolax

Postby tkolax » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:31 am

i'm waiting to hear back from ut, i applied in November, so it's taking them long enough. i think they are making me sweat it out because i'm a sooner

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Does anyone know if UT sends any kind of acknowledgment that they have received a LOCI?

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:03 pm

Why hasn't Texas waitlisted anyone?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:11 pm

beef wellington wrote:Why hasn't Texas waitlisted anyone?

Texas is assuming 100% yield, so there is no need. They are that good.

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:41 pm

Jericwithers wrote:

Let the Chuck Norris jokes commence.

My personal favorite:

Texas doesn't go hunting. Hunting implies failure. Texas goes killing.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:48 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Let the Chuck Norris jokes commence.

My personal favorite:

Texas doesn't go hunting. Hunting implies failure. Texas goes killing.

Lol I've never heard that. Funny.

tkolax

Postby tkolax » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:08 pm

does anybody know when ut will make most of the decisions by?

legendwaitforitdairy

Postby legendwaitforitdairy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:30 am

Has anybody who got held earlier this year heard anything back yet?

choochoo

Postby choochoo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:35 am

legendwaitforitdairy wrote:Has anybody who got held earlier this year heard anything back yet?

Yeah, I was held from November and got my rejection letter today...

legendwaitforitdairy

Postby legendwaitforitdairy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:51 am

choochoo wrote:
legendwaitforitdairy wrote:Has anybody who got held earlier this year heard anything back yet?

I'm sorry to hear that...thanks for the answer though...i'm not sure what to expect...good luck with the rest of your applications!

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:29 am

For those of you who are trying to find a nice hotel at a decent price, also try the "name your own price" on priceline.com. I always used it when I went to stay at a big city. Here is a link to how much people bid for hotels in Austin:
http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/forums ... ustin.html

RSN_M3

Postby RSN_M3 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:58 am

choochoo wrote:

Oh man, sorry to hear. My rejection must not be far behind.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:25 am

I think it'd be sweet if we all coordinated staying downtown or something, at least some of us TLSers all in one hotel. Anybody in?

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:11 am

imisscollege wrote:I think it'd be sweet if we all coordinated staying downtown or something, at least some of us TLSers all in one hotel. Anybody in?

PM catharsis -- I think he/she is already doing some research about best prices, etc. Maybe we should also have a thread in the ASW section?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:36 pm

UT admits: look in your mailbox.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:12 pm

I've got a nice couch someone can sleep on, I share a house with 4 other guys and we're all pretty chill.

/actuallykindaserious

Jericwithers wrote:UT admits: look in your mailbox.

Mailbox or inbox? I live in Austin and my mailbox had law school related delivered today.

vmmf

Postby vmmf » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:16 pm

Those who got held, did you get an email about this? I am asking because I am still complete as of November, but I never received anything about being held.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”