IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kittenmittons

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby kittenmittons » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:57 pm

jelizabeth88 wrote:Is ASW seriously on the 25th? I'm going to have to piss the Ty Murray Invitational if it is :x ! And my brother was coming to visit and everything.

But anyways, I plan on driving to Austin. Since this is the case, I'm wondering how difficult parking is around campus. Should I still try and find a place that's close enough to walk or will I not have a problem driving around if I don't know the area at all?

Parking is difficult during the week, if you don't know your way around.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:17 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
jelizabeth88 wrote:Is ASW seriously on the 25th? I'm going to have to piss the Ty Murray Invitational if it is :x ! And my brother was coming to visit and everything.

But anyways, I plan on driving to Austin. Since this is the case, I'm wondering how difficult parking is around campus. Should I still try and find a place that's close enough to walk or will I not have a problem driving around if I don't know the area at all?

A gps or something will help if you don't know the area, but the sidestreets can get confusing if you don't have a good sense of direction. Free campus parking is do-able after 5:45pm Friday and till Monday morning.

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:29 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:

A gps or something will help if you don't know the area, but the sidestreets can get confusing if you don't have a good sense of direction. Free campus parking is do-able after 5:45pm Friday and till Monday morning.

Fortunately, the law school is one the less-crowded side of campus. You should be able to find parking by St. David's hospital (in the general area, obviously not at the hospital itself) and walk to the law school. There are parking meters by the school that I believe become free during nights/weekends/holidays but I am not 100% of this as the school just changed the type of meters they use.

All in all, Austin is extremely easy to navigate. We have two main highways (I-35 and MoPac/Loop1). Guadalupe (the drag) and Lamar run North and South (in addition to I-35 and MoPac) and the numbered streets run East to West. Once you get downtown a lot of streets are one way but they alternate (ex: 6th runs West but 5th and 7th run East.)

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:47 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:

Fortunately, the law school is one the less-crowded side of campus. You should be able to find parking by St. David's hospital (in the general area, obviously not at the hospital itself) and walk to the law school. There are parking meters by the school that I believe become free during nights/weekends/holidays but I am not 100% of this as the school just changed the type of meters they use.

All in all, Austin is extremely easy to navigate. We have two main highways (I-35 and MoPac/Loop1). Guadalupe (the drag) and Lamar run North and South (in addition to I-35 and MoPac) and the numbered streets run East to West. Once you get downtown a lot of streets are one way but they alternate (ex: 6th runs West but 5th and 7th run East.)

Is it still free weekend parking along Dean Keeton? Those new parking-pass machines confuse me.

Esc

Postby Esc » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:51 pm

Jericwithers wrote:Is it still free weekend parking along Dean Keeton? Those new parking-pass machines confuse me.

Yeah, parking on Dean Keeton east of San Jac is free on weekends and after 5:30 PM on weekdays, you just have to back in at an angle...which some people fail at hilariously :lol:

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:52 pm

Esc wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:Is it still free weekend parking along Dean Keeton? Those new parking-pass machines confuse me.

Yeah, parking on Dean Keeton east of San Jac is free on weekends and after 5:30 PM on weekdays, you just have to back in at an angle...which some people fail at hilariously :lol:

This would be me :oops: but only when people/other cars are around. Not a good under pressure parker.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:55 pm

JordynAsh wrote:
Esc wrote:

This would be me :oops: but only when people/other cars are around. Not a good under pressure parker.

Lol I park by the 27th street garage most of the times I can find a spot, and I usually fail at parallel parking. Backing up wouldn't be so bad if I didnt have like 100% tint. Parking on campus is always a huge headache though in my opinion.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:09 pm

Dinged by mail.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:11 pm

Esc wrote:

Lol

Every once in a while some douche manages to pull his car front first into one of those spaces. I need to take a picture next time it happens for a fail banner.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:15 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Esc wrote:

Lol

Every once in a while some douche manages to pull his car front first into one of those spaces. I need to take a picture next time it happens for a fail banner.

Lol what's wrong with that? Fast n Furious ftw.

Esc

Postby Esc » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:21 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Esc wrote:

Lol

Lol what's wrong with that? Fast n Furious ftw.

Besides the fact that whoever parked head-in on Dean Keeton had to really work to make their fail come true, I think it also has something to do with the fact that everyday traffic on Dean Keeton is a 10-car, 5-bicycle, 3-bus pileup waiting to happen - a situation which would be intensely aggravated by some asshole backing blindly out of a back-in, angled parking space...

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:34 pm

Esc wrote:Besides the fact that whoever parked head-in on Dean Keeton had to really work to make their fail come true, I think it also has something to do with the fact that everyday traffic on Dean Keeton is a 10-car, 5-bicycle, 3-bus pileup waiting to happen - a situation which would be intensely aggravated by some asshole backing blindly out of a back-in, angled parking space...

Ya I can see how it would be a problem. I've never noticed traffic on Dean Keeton to be that bad, but I only came through there between 12-5o'clock.

Esc

Postby Esc » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:45 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Esc wrote:Besides the fact that whoever parked head-in on Dean Keeton had to really work to make their fail come true, I think it also has something to do with the fact that everyday traffic on Dean Keeton is a 10-car, 5-bicycle, 3-bus pileup waiting to happen - a situation which would be intensely aggravated by some asshole backing blindly out of a back-in, angled parking space...

Ya I can see how it would be a problem. I've never noticed traffic on Dean Keeton to be that bad, but I only came through there between 12-5o'clock.

The eastbound stretch right out front of the law school is by far the worst part of the street. To a car parked there, the traffic comes over the hill and curve blindly, and usually speeding at 40 MPH. :|

86revolt

Postby 86revolt » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:51 pm

86revolt wrote:just got the email about the admitted students/alumni reception in san francisco on the 17th. anyone going to that?

i take it no one on this thread is from bay area?

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:23 am

What is everyone thinking about the UT@UT day v. the general ASD?

Which are you leaning towards? What about attending both (especially if you are in the Austin area)?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:37 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:What is everyone thinking about the UT@UT day v. the general ASD?

Which are you leaning towards? What about attending both (especially if you are in the Austin area)?

I'm going to the UT@UT program, and I might do the 'Experience Texas' ASD for a free meal and goodies (they give out goodies--right?). I just think the UT@UT thing would be better for people familar with the campus and culture of UT.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:38 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
UTaylor526 wrote:What is everyone thinking about the UT@UT day v. the general ASD?

I'm going to the UT@UT program, and I might do the 'Experience Texas' ASD for a free meal and goodies (they give out goodies--right?). I just think the UT@UT thing would be better for people familar with the campus and culture of UT.

Yeah, I'll probably do both

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:52 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

I was thinking both but am starting to think the ASD might be kind of boring with a lot of "welcome to Austin and UT culture" material. They should just point out where Amy's is and call it a wrap.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:57 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

I was thinking both but am starting to think the ASD might be kind of boring with a lot of "welcome to Austin and UT culture" material. They should just point out where Amy's is and call it a wrap.

UT@UT has FREE amy's icecream during lunch. I know going to UT for undergrad was the right choice!

EDIT: There's a schedule for the UT@UT event, anyone know of one for the regular ASD? It seems the only think special about the UT@UT event is the 'Transitioning from UT to UT Law' hour-long event.

dancinginseptember

Postby dancinginseptember » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:05 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:I was thinking both but am starting to think the ASD might be kind of boring with a lot of "welcome to Austin and UT culture" material. They should just point out where Amy's is and call it a wrap.

<3 amys. amen.

Esc

Postby Esc » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:56 pm

Everyone got a fajita lunch and Amy's at ASD last year. Most lunch tables had a faculty member there for people to ask Q's. Dean Sager talked a lot and answers lots of questions. And there was a mock class. It was basically like a mini-orientation. It was fun.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:27 pm

Esc wrote:Everyone got a fajita lunch and Amy's at ASD last year. Most lunch tables had a faculty member there for people to ask Q's. Dean Sager talked a lot and answers lots of questions. And there was a mock class. It was basically like a mini-orientation. It was fun.

So I can get 2 free servings of Amy's by going to both ASDs? Score!

gmichaelbluth

Postby gmichaelbluth » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:34 pm

I'm not able to make the ASD, but UT is on my top schools list, so I definitely want to visit. Thoughts on whether it would it be more beneficial to tour the school, sit in on a class, etc., on a Friday or Monday morning?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:38 pm

gmichaelbluth wrote:I'm not able to make the ASD, but UT is on my top schools list, so I definitely want to visit. Thoughts on whether it would it be more beneficial to tour the school, sit in on a class, etc., on a Friday or Monday morning?

Friday would be less crowded around campus, and you can also experience a little bit of the life in Austin Friday night.

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
gmichaelbluth wrote:I'm not able to make the ASD, but UT is on my top schools list, so I definitely want to visit. Thoughts on whether it would it be more beneficial to tour the school, sit in on a class, etc., on a Friday or Monday morning?

Friday would be less crowded around campus, and you can also experience a little bit of the life in Austin Friday night.

HaHa exactly! You can see what you won't have time for!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”