IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Torvon

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Postby Torvon » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:46 am

TXDeac wrote:
entrechatsix wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:I'm super tempted to send in a LOCI even though I haven't been waitlisted or held yet. I just don't think UT understands how much I need to be at their school! Bad idea or AWESOME idea?

I say AWESOME. I mean I don't know anything, but it sure couldn't hurt.. Right?

Also, I think if you don't do something like this and get dinged/wl you'll probably regret it.

Go for it. It worked for me, so it could work for you. Just shoot them an e-mail - it's what I did!

Did you send your email to the generic admissions email address or directly to Dean Ingram?

Anyone know which is preferred?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:00 am

HaleyB88 wrote:
UTaylor526 wrote:
John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:Anybody know anything about UT's placement in the Northeast? I'm interested in public interest, not big firms.

Anybody know if UT matches scholarships? Which are considered its peer schools for leveraging purposes?

I've been out of the loop for a while, so I apologize if these questions have been addressed already.

I would also like to know this. This is probably the biggest thing standing between me and accepting an offer.

They actually have a "matching program", it appears that they will try to match scholarships from peer institutions. Here's the site: http://www.utexas.edu/law/depts/finaid/ ... match.html

Great find on the Texas website! Thank you!

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:15 am

HaleyB88 wrote:
UTaylor526 wrote:
John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:Anybody know anything about UT's placement in the Northeast? I'm interested in public interest, not big firms.

Anybody know if UT matches scholarships? Which are considered its peer schools for leveraging purposes?

I've been out of the loop for a while, so I apologize if these questions have been addressed already.

I would also like to know this. This is probably the biggest thing standing between me and accepting an offer.

They actually have a "matching program", it appears that they will try to match scholarships from peer institutions. Here's the site: http://www.utexas.edu/law/depts/finaid/ ... match.html

That information is accurate, but please note the following quote from the website.
The scholarship committee will consider one matching scholarship request per admitted student. However, an admitted student may submit multiple offers at one time.

The law school will only consider your other offers ONE TIME. So don't blow your wad and send them in now. Wait until you have as many offers as possible to show them. You have plenty of time to get these in.

Requests should be submitted/postmarked no later than May 1st.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:51 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:In on Feb 5. Ended up running around my office I was so excited. Never thought this would happen, makes things much more complicated....

Hey congrats on your acceptance!

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:18 pm

JazzOne wrote:The law school will only consider your other offers ONE TIME. So don't blow your wad and send them in now. Wait until you have as many offers as possible to show them. You have plenty of time to get these in.

Yes, but they also say to act quickly as they are only given a limited ammount of funds to make these matches. What a tricky balancing act. Should I send in my UCLA scholarship (or will that be ineffective because of the expecting tuition rate of UCLA) or wait for something (hopefully) from Cornell/Duke?

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:24 pm

Anyone else get the email about the Equal Opportunity Scholarship?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:34 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Anyone else get the email about the Equal Opportunity Scholarship?

Yup. Interesting. Three years doing good things in exchange for free law school? Count me in!

EDIT: Seems they only give one a year. If I were you I wouldn't bother applying.

86revolt

Postby 86revolt » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:24 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Anyone else get the email about the Equal Opportunity Scholarship?

just got it. website says selection is based on academic credentials and commitment to public service. i wonder how much weight is given to each criterion. more specifically, what's the lowest numbers that you need to have. i was a toss-up for admission, so i wonder if i have a chance. i know vandy gives out a few tuition + stipend scholarships, but they usually end up going to people who would have otherwise gone in T6. anyone have any idea if this is the same or not?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:29 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
JazzOne wrote:The law school will only consider your other offers ONE TIME. So don't blow your wad and send them in now. Wait until you have as many offers as possible to show them. You have plenty of time to get these in.

Yes, but they also say to act quickly as they are only given a limited ammount of funds to make these matches. What a tricky balancing act. Should I send in my UCLA scholarship (or will that be ineffective because of the expecting tuition rate of UCLA) or wait for something (hopefully) from Cornell/Duke?

I hadn't really considered that the funds were limited. I just remember them emphasizing last year that they will not review your offers more than once. That seems to be a firm rule.

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:59 pm

Live in Austin so I swung by the financial aide office and asked a few things (had to pick up something near campus anyway.)

What everyone has said so far is correct. It is actually known as an "appeal." You are essentially appealing their decision on what amount of scholarship you deserve and offering the other offers you have received as evidence. They meet once a week (every Friday I believe) to discuss and decide. They will only consider it once but you will only get money if funds are available so it is a tricky balance.

Hope this helps. I have one more school to hear from before I send in anything.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:07 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:Live in Austin so I swung by the financial aide office and asked a few things (had to pick up something near campus anyway.)

What everyone has said so far is correct. It is actually known as an "appeal." You are essentially appealing their decision on what amount of scholarship you deserve and offering the other offers you have received as evidence. They meet once a week (every Friday I believe) to discuss and decide. They will only consider it once but you will only get money if funds are available so it is a tricky balance.

Oh, it does help. It means I should send mine in now while you are still waiting :twisted: . Thanks for the info though.

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:08 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
UTaylor526 wrote:Live in Austin so I swung by the financial aide office and asked a few things (had to pick up something near campus anyway.)

Oh, it does help. It means I should send mine in now while you are still waiting :twisted: . Thanks for the info though.

haha exactly!

yournamehere

Postby yournamehere » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:14 pm

UT matched (and exceeded) my offers from Vanderbilt and UConn last year. It was probably the Vanderbilt offer that did it, but those were the two schools that I had offers from and sent in. FWIW, I submitted basically at the deadline and that's what I got. The one-time thing is because they don't want to be played off some other school, and they don't want to decline once only to see you come back a second time with $$$ from a second school.

camstant

Postby camstant » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:15 pm

I've been complete since 11/24 and still nothing... should I call? write a letter? keep waiting...?

Sphinx1146

Postby Sphinx1146 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:17 pm

camstant wrote:I've been complete since 11/24 and still nothing... should I call? write a letter? keep waiting...?

In the same boat.....

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:20 pm

camstant wrote:I've been complete since 11/24 and still nothing... should I call? write a letter? keep waiting...?

I've got the same complete date. Pre-decision LOCIs seem to be frowned upon so I'ma keep my trap shut. With my GPA, every day that passes without getting dinged or WL'ed by UT feels like I'm getting away with something.
Last edited by beef wellington on Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Havaianas

Postby Havaianas » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:27 pm

yournamehere wrote:UT matched (and exceeded) my offers from Vanderbilt and UConn last year. It was probably the Vanderbilt offer that did it, but those were the two schools that I had offers from and sent in. FWIW, I submitted basically at the deadline and that's what I got. The one-time thing is because they don't want to be played off some other school, and they don't want to decline once only to see you come back a second time with $$$ from a second school.

What is the deadline for this appeal process?... I still haven't heard back from any comparable schools with money offers.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:47 pm

Havaianas wrote:
yournamehere wrote:UT matched (and exceeded) my offers from Vanderbilt and UConn last year. It was probably the Vanderbilt offer that did it, but those were the two schools that I had offers from and sent in. FWIW, I submitted basically at the deadline and that's what I got. The one-time thing is because they don't want to be played off some other school, and they don't want to decline once only to see you come back a second time with $$$ from a second school.

What is the deadline for this appeal process?... I still haven't heard back from any comparable schools with money offers.

Scroll up. There is a whole discussion about this. The deadline is May 1, but as others have pointed out, it may not be a good idea to wait that long.

laura121087

Postby laura121087 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:20 pm

In via phone call form Dean today!

amichig

Postby amichig » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:26 pm

Been complete since 11/03 and stillll waiting. This is ridiculous. I applied and was complete a 12 schools in early November and have only got an answer from 5. This wait is brutal!

RTOTA38

Postby RTOTA38 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:35 pm

laura121087 wrote:In via phone call form Dean today!

congrats!

sternc

Postby sternc » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:41 pm

Just got the call from Dean Ingram. I'm really pumped right now. Applciation went complete on Jan 22nd and its still listed as "currently being considered". Might blow off the dumb intro-level math test that I have tomorrow. Dean Ingram mentioned some stuff about trying to send scholarship offers out over the next couple of weeks. Honestly, I was pretty jacked up so I missed that stuff. Does she say that to everyone? Big day. Being from Dallas, UT is in my top 3. This takes a lot of the stress out of this whole process.

jelizabeth88

Postby jelizabeth88 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:47 pm

congrats, that's awesome! and no, not everyone gets the scholly info so it looks like you'll have one coming in a couple weeks.

evergirl23

Postby evergirl23 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:48 pm

sternc wrote:Just got the call from Dean Ingram. I'm really pumped right now. Applciation went complete on Jan 22nd and its still listed as "currently being considered". Might blow off the dumb intro-level math test that I have tomorrow. Dean Ingram mentioned some stuff about trying to send scholarship offers out over the next couple of weeks. Honestly, I was pretty jacked up so I missed that stuff. Does she say that to everyone? Big day. Being from Dallas, UT is in my top 3. This takes a lot of the stress out of this whole process.

That's great, congrats! I want a phone call, now...

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:52 pm

sternc wrote:Just got the call from Dean Ingram. I'm really pumped right now. Applciation went complete on Jan 22nd and its still listed as "currently being considered". Might blow off the dumb intro-level math test that I have tomorrow. Dean Ingram mentioned some stuff about trying to send scholarship offers out over the next couple of weeks. Honestly, I was pretty jacked up so I missed that stuff. Does she say that to everyone? Big day. Being from Dallas, UT is in my top 3. This takes a lot of the stress out of this whole process.

Congrats. She only says that to people who get scholarships. Also, don't blow off your math test! Thats not the Longhorn way :wink: .

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”