IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NU_Jet55

Silver

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Post by NU_Jet55 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:54 pm

I applied to UT on the 27th; when can I expect to hear back?

BTW, I am borderline at best-164/3.9

Mu2mEVXER

New

Post by Mu2mEVXER » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:37 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:I applied to UT on the 27th; when can I expect to hear back?
+1 - of October.

imisscollege

Bronze

Post by imisscollege » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:27 pm

Sorry if this has already been answered, but where are we all staying admitted students weekend? Are we supposed to make our own hotel arrangements?

Apple Tree

Bronze

Post by Apple Tree » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:46 pm

I emailed the admissions office asking if they provide travelling expense disbursement, and the reply was no. So I guess yeah we are on our own arranging hotels. She sent me a list of hotels near UT. I can get it up here if anybody's interested.
http://www.utexas.edu/law/depts/career/ ... otels.html
Last edited by Apple Tree on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Apple Tree

Bronze

Post by Apple Tree » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:54 pm

I have a question about the scholarship matching program. Right now I got $30k from UMich, $75K from UIUC, $81K from Alabama, and $69K ($21k scholly + in state tuition waiver) from UT. Should I send in the offer from Michigan even though the money is less than what UT gave me (if you count the instate tuition waiver)? Would it mess up my chance of getting more money?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

entrechatsix

Bronze

Post by entrechatsix » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:07 pm

Apple Tree wrote:I emailed the admissions office asking if they provide travelling expense disbursement, and the reply was no. So I guess yeah we are on our own arranging hotels. She sent me a list of hotels near UT. I can get it up here if anybody's interested.
yeah that would be great if it's not too much trouble, i'd be interested to see what hotels they recommend.

djgoldbe

Bronze

Post by djgoldbe » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:10 pm

Apple Tree wrote:I have a question about the scholarship matching program. Right now I got $30k from UMich, $75K from UIUC, $81K from Alabama, and $69K ($21k scholly + in state tuition waiver) from UT. Should I send in the offer from Michigan even though the money is less than what UT gave me (if you count the instate tuition waiver)? Would it mess up my chance of getting more money?
I wouldn't.

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:20 pm

Apple Tree wrote:I have a question about the scholarship matching program. Right now I got $30k from UMich, $75K from UIUC, $81K from Alabama, and $69K ($21k scholly + in state tuition waiver) from UT. Should I send in the offer from Michigan even though the money is less than what UT gave me (if you count the instate tuition waiver)? Would it mess up my chance of getting more money?
Yeah that's not really how negotiation works. Imagine you are buying a TV. One TV of good quality is $1000 at one store and another TV of slightly better quality is $1500 at another. You can't go to the first store and say I want this cheaper because a slightly better TV at another store is more expensive. Makes no sense. They would laugh at you... But that is what you are asking if you should do.

Now if you did the opposite and went to the second store and said these guys are offering me a TV of almost = quality for way cheaper, they may knock a few more bucks off for you.

Apple Tree

Bronze

Post by Apple Tree » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:27 pm

entrechatsix wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:I emailed the admissions office asking if they provide travelling expense disbursement, and the reply was no. So I guess yeah we are on our own arranging hotels. She sent me a list of hotels near UT. I can get it up here if anybody's interested.
yeah that would be great if it's not too much trouble, i'd be interested to see what hotels they recommend.
http://www.utexas.edu/law/depts/career/ ... otels.html

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Apple Tree

Bronze

Post by Apple Tree » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:28 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:
Yeah that's not really how negotiation works. Imagine you are buying a TV. One TV of good quality is $1000 at one store and another TV of slightly better quality is $1500 at another. You can't go to the first store and say I want this cheaper because a slightly better TV at another store is more expensive. Makes no sense. They would laugh at you... But that is what you are asking if you should do.

Now if you did the opposite and went to the second store and said these guys are offering me a TV of almost = quality for way cheaper, they may knock a few more bucks off for you.
Yeah that makes sense. Thanks!

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:53 pm

Woohoo, got a Dean's Presidential Scholarship today. $18,000/yr for $54,000 total.

With in-state continuing student costs that covers over half of my expected costs, leaving me with under $50k debt compared to the $200,000+ I could potentially face at Columbia/NYU.

What I'm wondering though, is that the letter and the website mention NEED-BASED scholarships and need/merit scholarships. I am an independent on my FAFSA making a sweet $0 and my mom (father passed away) is making near poverty-level income. Since UT doesn't have my full financial data, is it possible that when I submit it they would be able to bump me up to a full-ride to account for financial needs?

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:02 pm

Sogui wrote:Woohoo, got a Dean's Presidential Scholarship today. $18,000/yr for $54,000 total.

With in-state continuing student costs that covers over half of my expected costs, leaving me with under $50k debt compared to the $200,000+ I could potentially face at Columbia/NYU.

What I'm wondering though, is that the letter and the website mention NEED-BASED scholarships and need/merit scholarships. I am an independent on my FAFSA making a sweet $0 and my mom (father passed away) is making near poverty-level income. Since UT doesn't have my full financial data, is it possible that when I submit it they would be able to bump me up to a full-ride to account for financial needs?
What do you mean by in-state "continuing" costs? I've seen that on the website, but have never understood it. How do you get it?

Also, I don't think UT gives grants ontop of scholarship money because of FAFSA data. However, it is a pure guess on my part.

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:23 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Sogui wrote:Woohoo, got a Dean's Presidential Scholarship today. $18,000/yr for $54,000 total.

What do you mean by in-state "continuing" costs? I've seen that on the website, but have never understood it. How do you get it?

Also, I don't think UT gives grants ontop of scholarship money because of FAFSA data. However, it is a pure guess on my part.
Yea but they don't call their grants grants, they call them need-based scholarships. They also had a category for need/merit and pure merit scholarships. Since UT doesn't have any current data from me besides my independent status, I hope that there will be more room for non-loan aid down the road.

Err, just double-checked apparently there are "need/adversity based scholarships" as well as grants. Also the continuing education thing is confusing, but appears to be for students who have been at college in Texas as well, as opposed to residents who are spending their first year ever at a Texas school.

Maybe because me/my family have been paying taxes to Texas for over 20 years, so we get a small bonus compared to those who just got here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:47 pm

Sogui wrote:Also the continuing education thing is confusing, but appears to be for students who have been at college in Texas as well, as opposed to residents who are spending their first year ever at a Texas school.

Maybe because me/my family have been paying taxes to Texas for over 20 years, so we get a small bonus compared to those who just got here.
How do you know you get this continuing rate? Im a current UT student, so do I get it too?

UTaylor526

Bronze

Post by UTaylor526 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:55 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Sogui wrote:Also the continuing education thing is confusing, but appears to be for students who have been at college in Texas as well, as opposed to residents who are spending their first year ever at a Texas school.

How do you know you get this continuing rate? Im a current UT student, so do I get it too?
I would also like to know this.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:04 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

I think the continuing students rate is for 2Ls and 3Ls only. Tuition is different between 1Ls and all others, as they do not increase your tuition from the ammount you paid as a 1L. Maybe a current student can better explain this.

yournamehere

New

Post by yournamehere » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:42 pm

send in everything. 30K at Michigan is a whole lot stronger than any of your other offers. You're so in demand that Michigan (a school ranked 6 spots higher) is willing to give you money to go ... I don't see why this is even a question. There are a shit-ton of people out there who would take T14 + $, and UT has to know that.

Anyways, what's the worst they can do, turn you down?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:55 pm

yournamehere wrote:
send in everything. 30K at Michigan is a whole lot stronger than any of your other offers. You're so in demand that Michigan (a school ranked 6 spots higher) is willing to give you money to go ... I don't see why this is even a question. There are a shit-ton of people out there who would take T14 + $, and UT has to know that.

Anyways, what's the worst they can do, turn you down?
Like I said before, Michigan offered less money than Texas... you can't negotiate with that. The difference in school quality is so marginal between the two. Texas offered more than double, what else do you expect them to do? You are right in that it can't hurt his chances but it seems pretty pointless.

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:28 am

Jericwithers wrote:
UTaylor526 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

I think the continuing students rate is for 2Ls and 3Ls only. Tuition is different between 1Ls and all others, as they do not increase your tuition from the ammount you paid as a 1L. Maybe a current student can better explain this.

The chart below shows an estimated Fall/Spring budget for First Year resident and non-resident Law School students taking 30 hours during 2009–2010.

I think you're right, so it's less expensive for 2L and 3L

SummerLaw

Bronze

Post by SummerLaw » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:17 am

Apologies if this has been addressed... do rejections from UT come via email? Has anyone been waitlisted? It's a stretch for me so I'm just trying to figure it all out. FWIW I've been complete since early December.

riburn3

New

Post by riburn3 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:21 am

Rejections come via snail mail. They also update your status checker to tell you the date you were denied admission.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

amichig

New

Post by amichig » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:52 am

Just checked my status checker this morning and app denied on Feb 8th. I sent in a LOCI last week, so I'm wondering if that had any effect. Either way, I suppose I'm glad to have an answer, albeit not what I was hoping for.

Goodbye texas thread!

crunchytater

New

Post by crunchytater » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:57 pm

amichig wrote:Just checked my status checker this morning and app denied on Feb 8th. I sent in a LOCI last week, so I'm wondering if that had any effect. Either way, I suppose I'm glad to have an answer, albeit not what I was hoping for.

Goodbye texas thread!
x2

I was very surprised I got the denial. Oh well! Now I have to choose between Vandy and Virginia.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:59 pm

crunchytater wrote:
amichig wrote:Just checked my status checker this morning and app denied on Feb 8th. I sent in a LOCI last week, so I'm wondering if that had any effect. Either way, I suppose I'm glad to have an answer, albeit not what I was hoping for.

Goodbye texas thread!
x2

I was very surprised I got the denial. Oh well! Now I have to choose between Vandy and Virginia.
Sorry to hear that. GL on your decision

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:05 pm

crunchytater wrote:
x2

I'm sorry about your rejection, but Vandy and UVA are certainly great options. Congrats!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”