IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sternc

Bronze

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Post by sternc » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:21 pm

Thanks. I got it now.

entrechatsix

Bronze

Post by entrechatsix » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:22 pm

sternc wrote:Thanks. I got it now.
good luck! hope they hook you up haha :D

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:58 pm

I AM CONFUSED

I just got an email telling me that my financial aid eligibility had changed and when I logged in, my award had significantly decreased. SIGNIFICANTLY.

I still have my federal loans, but the gradplus is way down. I now have these nifty, "texas public education grants," but they do NOT make up for the difference at all.

I can't afford to pay the rest at Texas myself! I have like 4 dollars! What just happened?

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:00 pm

Pearalegal wrote:I AM CONFUSED

I just got an email telling me that my financial aid eligibility had changed and when I logged in, my award had significantly decreased. SIGNIFICANTLY.

I still have my federal loans, but the gradplus is way down. I now have these nifty, "texas public education grants," but they do NOT make up for the difference at all.

I can't afford to pay the rest at Texas myself! I have like 4 dollars! What just happened?
Any scholarship amounts awarded? Either from the school or outside scholarships?

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:01 pm

Jericwithers wrote:

Any scholarship amounts awarded? Either from the school or outside scholarships?
Not that I know of. I just sent in my negotiation letter yesterday but...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:02 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Not that I know of. I just sent in my negotiation letter yesterday but...
Maybe that was it. System emails go out at 4am, so maybe they send out the negotiation letters at that time as well. Are you negotiating up from $0?

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:03 pm

Jericwithers wrote: Maybe that was it. System emails go out at 4am, so maybe they send out the negotiation letters at that time as well. Are you negotiating up from $0?
Yup.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:04 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote: Maybe that was it. System emails go out at 4am, so maybe they send out the negotiation letters at that time as well. Are you negotiating up from $0?
Yup.
As a UT UG I had some scholarships awarded and it affected my grants and such, but I still think I ended up making $250 more from like $1500 in scholarship money.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:08 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Yup.
As a UT UG I had some scholarships awarded and it affected my grants and such, but I still think I ended up making $250 more from like $1500 in scholarship money.
I guess now I wait to figure out what happened tomorrow. I ran to check my credit score to see if I had somehow plummeted or something.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:10 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Yup.
I guess now I wait to figure out what happened tomorrow. I ran to check my credit score to see if I had somehow plummeted or something.
So what was affected? Grant amount? Loans?

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:11 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
I had no grant amounts beforehand, but my plus amount was much better. The other federal ones stayed the same. I received, "texas public education grants." I'm out of state, so that confuses me.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:14 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
I had no grant amounts beforehand, but my plus amount was much better. The other federal ones stayed the same. I received, "texas public education grants." I'm out of state, so that confuses me.
Interesting. Mind PM'ing me what your loan amount was before and now, and what your grant amount is?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:26 am

So I just got the phone call today, IN at Texas for c/o 2013! This really stirs things up, considering I was dead sure about Vandy up until I got the call.

As a 168/3.75 OOS, and this late in the game, can I expect any money at all from Texas? Thanks for all your help.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:28 am

rad law wrote:So I just got the phone call today, IN at Texas for c/o 2013! This really stirs things up, considering I was dead sure about Vandy up until I got the call.

As a 168/3.75 OOS, and this late in the game, can I expect any money at all from Texas? Thanks for all your help.
I think so. Did they tell you to expect a scholarship letter in the next 2 weeks?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:33 am

Jericwithers wrote:
rad law wrote:So I just got the phone call today, IN at Texas for c/o 2013! This really stirs things up, considering I was dead sure about Vandy up until I got the call.

I think so. Did they tell you to expect a scholarship letter in the next 2 weeks?
They said they'd evaluate and send me a letter in like 10 days. I assumed they meant possible merit and financial aid, but come to think of it, the lady didn't mention anything about financial aid, so I guess that's encouraging.

Texas is amazing, but I got a bunch of money from Vandy, so we'll see.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:35 am

rad law wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

They said they'd evaluate and send me a letter in like 10 days. I assumed they meant possible merit and financial aid, but come to think of it, the lady didn't mention anything about financial aid, so I guess that's encouraging.

Texas is amazing, but I got a bunch of money from Vandy, so we'll see.
$21k and in state tuition. Congrats, same offer as me.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:42 am

Jericwithers wrote: $21k and in state tuition. Congrats, same offer as me.
Wow if I got that, that would be amazing. I anyone else is in a similar situation, and I missed it a few pages back, I'd love to hear from them as well. Thanks so much for the help, and I'll let yall know what happens.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:58 am

rad law wrote:
Wow if I got that, that would be amazing. I anyone else is in a similar situation, and I missed it a few pages back, I'd love to hear from them as well. Thanks so much for the help, and I'll let yall know what happens.
Check LSN for people with a 168 LSAT. Whatever offer they get so will you, you just have to meet the 3.6gpa floor. Bank on $7k a year on top of the in state tuition though. Makes me kind of mad that an out of state student with a 168 3.66 gpa gets the same money as I do, but if my alma mater doesn't want to entice me more than anyone out of state (or in state) then more power to the person getting a good deal.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:22 pm

Jericwithers wrote: Check LSN for people with a 168 LSAT. Whatever offer they get so will you, you just have to meet the 3.6gpa floor. Bank on $7k a year on top of the in state tuition though. Makes me kind of mad that an out of state student with a 168 3.66 gpa gets the same money as I do, but if my alma mater doesn't want to entice me more than anyone out of state (or in state) then more power to the person getting a good deal.
Good call. Just took a look over there, and my numbers twin got $69k, which ends up being what you talked about, the in-state plus $21k. Looks like I gotta put together a last-minute visit.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:13 pm

I GOT IN STATE TO TEXAS AND A SCHOLARSHIP

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:21 pm

Pearalegal wrote:I GOT IN STATE TO TEXAS AND A SCHOLARSHIP
So my hunch was right! Congrats!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

djgoldbe

Bronze

Post by djgoldbe » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:00 pm

rad law wrote:
I'm 167 3.8 and got 45k to vandy and 0 to Texas, even after sending a negotiation e-mail. Very disappointing, but perhaps you will fare better.

steelerfan87

New

Post by steelerfan87 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:09 pm

radlaw, out of curiousity when did your app go complete? i've been complete since jan and still waiting.

Applicant2010

Bronze

Post by Applicant2010 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:16 pm

Pearalegal wrote:I GOT IN STATE TO TEXAS AND A SCHOLARSHIP
When did you submit your request, and what offers did you have for them to match?

I sent mine in last Thursday, the 25th, and I have not heard back.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:29 pm

steelerfan87 wrote:radlaw, out of curiousity when did your app go complete? i've been complete since jan and still waiting.
1/19. I applied in the second week of January.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”