IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
adrib

Bronze

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Post by adrib » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:18 am

those of you that have already gotten word back from the financial aid office: does your award include any scholarship money you got? Mine has some grants, Stafford loans, and gradplus loans, but not my scholly. What's going on?

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:20 am

nevermind. when i take the cost of attendance and subtract my award package, the difference is the scholarship amount. yay!

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:20 pm

adrib wrote:nevermind. when i take the cost of attendance and subtract my award package, the difference is the scholarship amount. yay!
yeah, the scholly doesn't show up in the award package, but it is there.

catharsis

Bronze

Post by catharsis » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:59 pm

adrib wrote:nevermind. when i take the cost of attendance and subtract my award package, the difference is the scholarship amount. yay!
lol i just PMed you about the same thing.

i didnt see my scholarship on there either and i thought they had magically changed their mind :lol:

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:02 pm

catharsis wrote:

i didnt see my scholarship on there either and i thought they had magically changed their mind :lol:

When did ya'll hear about financial aid? They "misplaced" (how does that happen?) my FAFSA, so the FA Office has been e-mailing me CONSTANTLY since that happened, and they said I'd have my awards this week... but I don't have them yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:05 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
Yes, yes, yes! So, if you're as lucky as I was last semester, you'll find a vacancy across the street from the law school, rent it, and enjoy inexpensive lunch at home during your lunch breaks. :) LOL
Thankfully I will be able to do this next year!

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:48 pm

OA, did you speak at the housing panel? there was a 1L that talked about his experience renting across the street.

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:49 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:
catharsis wrote:

When did ya'll hear about financial aid? They "misplaced" (how does that happen?) my FAFSA, so the FA Office has been e-mailing me CONSTANTLY since that happened, and they said I'd have my awards this week... but I don't have them yet.
i got my email yesterday. I hope they do yours soon!!

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:24 pm

adrib wrote:
mcflooter06 wrote:
catharsis wrote:

i got my email yesterday. I hope they do yours soon!!

I hope so too! Its probably because they ended up processing my FAFSA a little over a week ago since they finally located it then lol. Its looking like I'm going to end up at Texas more and more, so I'm ready to get it all straightened out!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

catharsis

Bronze

Post by catharsis » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:14 am

mcflooter06 wrote:
catharsis wrote:

i heard via email yesterday evening! nice to see you might be coming to Texas!!

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:32 pm

catharsis wrote:
mcflooter06 wrote:
catharsis wrote:

i heard via email yesterday evening! nice to see you might be coming to Texas!!

YAY! I just got it. I just LOVE how the state of Texas gives us grant money, its wonderful seeing that. :)

UTaylor526

Bronze

Post by UTaylor526 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:51 pm

Just created a new thread for those of us who have committed to UT. Check it out

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&t=112468

See you guys in the fall!

M_F_F_L

New

Post by M_F_F_L » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:15 pm

So I got my financial aid email the other day. I have an EFC of "0" and still didn't receive any grants. Is it just me or is that weird???

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:18 pm

M_F_F_L wrote:So I got my financial aid email the other day. I have an EFC of "0" and still didn't receive any grants. Is it just me or is that weird???
Are you a Texas resident? Most of my grants came from the state, which I do not believe go to OOS applicants.

M_F_F_L

New

Post by M_F_F_L » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:25 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:
M_F_F_L wrote:So I got my financial aid email the other day. I have an EFC of "0" and still didn't receive any grants. Is it just me or is that weird???
Are you a Texas resident? Most of my grants came from the state, which I do not believe go to OOS applicants.
Well, crap. No, I'm an out of state applicant. I just assumed that I'd get some sort of federal grants. I don't that is too big of an assumption with an EFC of zero. That's really disheartening. I went to ASD and absolutely fell in love with the school. I can't imagine being anywhere else. However, it looks like I'll be borrowing 60K for the first year alone. Am I'm stupid for still seriously considering a full ride to Balyor???

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:26 pm

I don't think the feds give grants, just loans. I think the grants are just for Texas residents...

M_F_F_L

New

Post by M_F_F_L » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:17 pm

Esc wrote:I don't think the feds give grants, just loans. I think the grants are just for Texas residents...
Do you mean specifically for graduate school? I got Pell Grant for undergrad, and I'm pretty sure that's federal.

So is UT worth it...sticker that is?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:57 pm

M_F_F_L wrote:
Esc wrote:I don't think the feds give grants, just loans. I think the grants are just for Texas residents...
Do you mean specifically for graduate school? I got Pell Grant for undergrad, and I'm pretty sure that's federal.

yeah I think pell grants are only for undergrad. the only grants I've gotten for either this year or last were state grants.

As to whether UT sticker is worth it, the only answer is the generally applicable one - it depends on your goals and options. If your choices are between Baylor $$$ and UT sticker though, definitely UT. Baylor blows AND has ridiculous scholarship GPA stipulations.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:14 am

Esc wrote:
M_F_F_L wrote:

yeah I think pell grants are only for undergrad. the only grants I've gotten for either this year or last were state grants.

As to whether UT sticker is worth it, the only answer is the generally applicable one - it depends on your goals and options. If your choices are between Baylor $$$ and UT sticker though, definitely UT. Baylor blows AND has ridiculous scholarship GPA stipulations.
The Baylor fans really enjoyed the Duke shirt I was wearing all day yesterday flying back to Austin from Durham.

huskylives

New

Post by huskylives » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:33 am

Esc wrote:
M_F_F_L wrote:
Esc wrote:As to whether UT sticker is worth it, the only answer is the generally applicable one - it depends on your goals and options. If your choices are between Baylor $$$ and UT sticker though, definitely UT. Baylor blows AND has ridiculous scholarship GPA stipulations.
I got a full scholly offer to Baylor that required I keep a 2.5 GPA... it seemed very doable to me. <shrugs>

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:02 am

huskylives wrote:
Esc wrote:
M_F_F_L wrote:
Esc wrote:As to whether UT sticker is worth it, the only answer is the generally applicable one - it depends on your goals and options. If your choices are between Baylor $$$ and UT sticker though, definitely UT. Baylor blows AND has ridiculous scholarship GPA stipulations.
I got a full scholly offer to Baylor that required I keep a 2.5 GPA... it seemed very doable to me. <shrugs>

They give too many full rides that, with their curve, a bunch of people lose their scholarship.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:12 am

^^that's what i was thinking. it seems that a ton of ppl on LSN got full rides--surely some of them have to lose them to the curve.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:26 pm

I don't remember what Baylor's curve is set at...I think it is either a 2.3 or a 2.7 or something ridiculous. Which means something like 2/3 or 1/3 of the class, depending on which is the correct number, will NOT meet the GPA requirement to keep their scholarships. Not good odds when the scholarship is the only reason to go there...

sternc

Bronze

Post by sternc » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:41 pm

Who should I send my email to about negotiating for more money? Dean Ingram?

entrechatsix

Bronze

Post by entrechatsix » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:15 pm

sternc wrote:Who should I send my email to about negotiating for more money? Dean Ingram?
no. look at that web site i posted in your thread yesterday. there's either a mailing address, or lawfinaid@law.utexas.edu

here it is again, i guess you didn't see it?
http://www.utexas.edu/law/depts/finaid/ ... match.html

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”