IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gossipgirl

Bronze

Re: IN AT TEXAS!!!!!!! CLASS OF 2013!!

Post by gossipgirl » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:55 pm

emrose wrote:
gossipgirl wrote:
emrose wrote:In!

Pretty stoked, I have family there. My first official acceptance. Can't wait to see the scholly offer, they said it would be in the mail next week.
Congrats!!!

When did you go complete/get the status checker?
Thanks!

Submitted 10/31, Status checker 11/14

Edit: I don't have a 3.6 GPA, and they clearly said in the message that a scholly offer would be forthcoming.

Yay! Some hope!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Whatisthis

Bronze

Post by Whatisthis » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:30 pm

I got a phone call today from Dean Ingram while I was at work. She told my wife that she was sending a letter that would explain the purpose of the call. My status checker doesn't say that a decision has been made. :( Has anyone received a call without a status checker update?

Texas is one of only four schools I would really be excited about attending. So I hope it isn't bad news at the very least.

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:35 pm

Whatisthis wrote:I got a phone call today from Dean Ingram while I was at work. She told my wife that she was sending a letter that would explain the purpose of the call. My status checker doesn't say that a decision has been made. :( Has anyone received a call without a status checker update?

Texas is one of only four schools I would really be excited about attending. So I hope it isn't bad news at the very least.
That's cryptic, but I would be willing to bet that the letter will bring good news.

Whatisthis

Bronze

Post by Whatisthis » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:37 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
Whatisthis wrote:I got a phone call today from Dean Ingram while I was at work. She told my wife that she was sending a letter that would explain the purpose of the call. My status checker doesn't say that a decision has been made. :( Has anyone received a call without a status checker update?

That's cryptic, but I would be willing to bet that the letter will bring good news.
I sure hope so! I know that I will checking the mail often.

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:22 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:46 pm

MSPeast wrote:Apparently UT sends out "hold" e-mails at 4 AM Central... kind of strange.
I think they send all their emails at that time. My status checker arrived in the middle of the night as well.

ValiantVic

Bronze

Post by ValiantVic » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:47 pm

Held. :evil:

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:48 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ValiantVic

Bronze

Post by ValiantVic » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:52 pm

Any reason someone should be held that's positive? I really doubt it lol. My GPA is around median and my LSAT is over 75%.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:55 pm

Held. 3.5x and a 172. Out of state.

I really wish I had written a Why Texas or something. I really would love to go to that school, even with T14 acceptances. I wonder if its too late to send one in as a LOCI? Austin rules.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:04 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Held. 3.5x and a 172. Out of state.

I really wish I had written a Why Texas or something. I really would love to go to that school, even with T14 acceptances. I wonder if its too late to send one in as a LOCI? Austin rules.
No, but do it soon. The Texas out-of-state allotment fills up fast and you definitely want to shore up a spot if you can. Make them believe that your numbers are legit.

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:18 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

annabell

New

Post by annabell » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:05 am

Does anyone know when the Admitted Students Weekends at Texas are? I got the information when someone from the Admissions Office called, but I can't seem to find it or this information in the admitted students packet I received. Does anyone know whether Texas reimburses travel expenses for admitted student visits/weekends?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:14 pm

MSPeast wrote:
GeePee wrote:

No, but do it soon. The Texas out-of-state allotment fills up fast and you definitely want to shore up a spot if you can. Make them believe that your numbers are legit.
I should do this too. I'm sure the main reason my 3.6 171 got held was because I'm not a Texas resident. Is UT's in-state boost bigger than most other publics? Some publics don't seem to have an in-state quota at all.
Yes, UT is required by law to have 65% in-state students.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:33 pm

MSPeast wrote:
emrose wrote:
MSPeast wrote:Apparently UT sends out "hold" e-mails at 4 AM Central... kind of strange.
I think they send all their emails at that time. My status checker arrived in the middle of the night as well.
Now that I look at it, the same was with my status checker and the application complete e-mail.
Same.

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:38 pm

Thought y'all would enjoy this - 36 hours in Austin, from the NY Times...

http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/11/29/tr ... rs.html?em

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:15 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:
MSPeast wrote:
GeePee wrote:

I should do this too. I'm sure the main reason my 3.6 171 got held was because I'm not a Texas resident. Is UT's in-state boost bigger than most other publics? Some publics don't seem to have an in-state quota at all.
Yes, UT is required by law to have 65% in-state students.
Wow, that percentage is positively incredible! :shock: :shock: I don't want to offend Texas residents, but doesn't that commitment undercut the quality of the school a bit by reducing its diversity? I'm very glad that I'm not counting on an acceptance from them.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:20 pm

managamy wrote: Wow, that percentage is positively incredible! :shock: :shock: I don't want to offend Texas residents, but doesn't that commitment undercut the quality of the school a bit by reducing its diversity? I'm very glad that I'm not counting on an acceptance from them.
The administration's opinion is that the out-of-state cap has no negative effect on the student body in any way. As far as diversity goes, I'm not sure I follow your logic. We have more minority students than most elite schools, and we have people from all over the country and the world. Why would having 30-35% out-of-state students make us less diverse than if we had 50% out-of-state?

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:25 pm

Esc wrote:
managamy wrote: Wow, that percentage is positively incredible! :shock: :shock: I don't want to offend Texas residents, but doesn't that commitment undercut the quality of the school a bit by reducing its diversity? I'm very glad that I'm not counting on an acceptance from them.
The administration's opinion is that the out-of-state cap has no negative effect on the student body in any way. As far as diversity goes, I'm not sure I follow your logic. We have more minority students than most elite schools, and we have people from all over the country and the world. Why would having 30-35% out-of-state students make us less diverse than if we had 50% out-of-state?
I imagined that having a student body more evenly dispersed among this country's very diverse regions would result in more varied backgrounds. But of course this is not necessarily true.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:22 pm

managamy wrote:Wow, that percentage is positively incredible! :shock: :shock: I don't want to offend Texas residents, but doesn't that commitment undercut the quality of the school a bit by reducing its diversity? I'm very glad that I'm not counting on an acceptance from them.

It's a pretty standard percentage among state schools, actually.

ValiantVic

Bronze

Post by ValiantVic » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:24 pm

That seems like a pretty high percentage. I think it can reduce the diversity of geographical experience (at least as far as America goes) if they take such a small percentage of out of state students. This can in turn negatively affect their alumni base as they will have (most likely) fewer alumni out of Texas to help provide job opportunities for other alumni in addition to increasing the name brand recognition of Texas nationally. Then again I don't understand this heavily pro in state policy in the first place. My state has great in state institutions and that doesn't help us at all. I would be curious as to what UT law's reach is after graduation. Are they primarily Texas? West Coast? Southwest?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:26 pm

kalvano wrote:
managamy wrote:Wow, that percentage is positively incredible! :shock: :shock: I don't want to offend Texas residents, but doesn't that commitment undercut the quality of the school a bit by reducing its diversity? I'm very glad that I'm not counting on an acceptance from them.

It's a pretty standard percentage among state schools, actually.
Funny, I thought that UVA was about 40%.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:29 pm

There are several that do it.

UW, UNC, and others that I am too lazy to look up.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:31 pm

ValiantVic wrote:That seems like a pretty high percentage. I think it can reduce the diversity of geographical experience (at least as far as America goes) if they take such a small percentage of out of state students. This can in turn negatively affect their alumni base as they will have (most likely) fewer alumni out of Texas to help provide job opportunities for other alumni in addition to increasing the name brand recognition of Texas nationally. Then again I don't understand this heavily pro in state policy in the first place. My state has great in state institutions and that doesn't help us at all. I would be curious as to what UT law's reach is after graduation. Are they primarily Texas? West Coast? Southwest?
+a lot. I'm planning to practice in California regardless of the law school that I attend, so it's important that it have some reach. In fact, flexible placement in location would be a concern for many people, I would imagine.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:33 pm

kalvano wrote:There are several that do it.

UW, UNC, and others that I am too lazy to look up.
Point taken. But neither of those is at the level of Texas. I was thinking that since Texas is at #15 despite this policy, perhaps it would be t14 or even t10 without the restriction.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”