In at Santa Clara!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby drdolittle » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:51 am

Damon wrote:
I think law school admissions are not as black and white as rankings, gpa, and LSAT numbers. Each school has its own philosophy of admitting students and dishing out scholarships. SCU is a unique tier 2 law school with a reputable overall university environment, boutique personalization, underrated school spirit and a dainty campus. And they know that. I don't think they are as much GPA and LSAT whores as most other law schools. Their rankings could rise substantially if they conformed more. Personally I would choose SCU over any other law school below the top 30, including Davis and Hastings, for all the things I mentioned earlier. I just don't think amount of scholarships always corresponds to rankings and numbers. In fact, many top tier schools have similar traditions.


I'm not sure what you base these assertions on. SCU is definitely a solid regional school and I respect your views on its unique strengths, but I have not seen any evidence whatsoever that SCU focuses less on numbers than other selective T2 schools. SCU offers large scholarships/fellowships but, according to TLS and LSN, clearly only applicants with the best numbers are targeted (typically those with numbers well above SCU's 75th percentiles). And a significant portion of these folks eventually turn the school down for something better, again according to TLS and LSN. I like the school too, but let's not get carried away with the idea that it doesn't conform to common admission practices for no good reason. And we should definitely not jump to the conclusion that SCU could magically raise its ranking if it wanted to simply by focusing on numbers because, for one, LSAT and GPA are relatively small components of the most often cited holistic ranking methodologies, like the one published by US News, etc.

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby quickquestionthanks » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:15 pm

jpla wrote:listed seat deposits apparently means an acceptance. just got mine in the mail with the emery merit scholarship. only $3,000 doesnt say if its semesterly, yearly or just first year. anyone know? also, any experience negotiating? on spring break next week so i am going to check out the school.

numbers 161/3.3
application sent 1-17
received 1-20
complete 1-28
decision rendered 3-22
decision arrived 3-25



Online it says that the scholarships are renewable based on the terms in your letter. Since mine didn't mention any terms, I called. I spoke to the director of financial aid today and she said that the renewal was based on being in the top 25%. I don't know if that's specific to my application or whether that is standard. You should call and let me know :)

User avatar
J Burrito
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:21 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby J Burrito » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:43 pm

I visited SCU today and was very impressed. Everyone was extremely friendly and welcoming. The facilities all seem brand new and just pristine. I did the usual tour, class, and admissions counselor meeting. I felt very welcomed and comfortable. I'm still waiting to hear from Davis and I'm on the waitlist for Hastings, but I feel secure putting down a deposit at SCU for the time being. I can definitely see myself happily spending the next three years there if it comes down to it.

User avatar
Italia8183
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:25 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby Italia8183 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:52 pm

just put down my 1st deposit 8)

User avatar
uwb09
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby uwb09 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:22 pm

got my acceptance packet, got the 11K scholarship, doesn't say anything about renewing standards? or if it's even renewable at all, hmmm

bleh, gonna have a hard time choosing between SCU and Seattle U

User avatar
J Burrito
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:21 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby J Burrito » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:57 pm

Also, for anyone interested, the admissions counselor said they would be sending out an email about fin aid packages today.

User avatar
NervousInKC
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby NervousInKC » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:55 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
jpla wrote:listed seat deposits apparently means an acceptance. just got mine in the mail with the emery merit scholarship. only $3,000 doesnt say if its semesterly, yearly or just first year. anyone know? also, any experience negotiating? on spring break next week so i am going to check out the school.

numbers 161/3.3
application sent 1-17
received 1-20
complete 1-28
decision rendered 3-22
decision arrived 3-25



Online it says that the scholarships are renewable based on the terms in your letter. Since mine didn't mention any terms, I called. I spoke to the director of financial aid today and she said that the renewal was based on being in the top 25%. I don't know if that's specific to my application or whether that is standard. You should call and let me know :)


I was wondering about this as well. I just got my acceptance and 14K! I have some difficult decisions to make! I wish I could visit soon. I may call on Monday to ask about the scholarship.

User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby weee » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:10 pm

I will probably withdraw but I was notified by e-mail that I am a potentialcandidate for full ride + 500 book stipend for the first semester. They want me to put down deposits first to prove mt intent to attend I guess? I have not seen my acceptance pack to see what offer it contained yet.

User avatar
J Burrito
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:21 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby J Burrito » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:56 pm

Is anyone in the SCU Law Class of 2013 Facebook group? I tried to join but the spelling of my name is different on FB than it is on my app, so I think they keep blocking my request to join. And I haven't sent my deposit in yet... I'm just trying to poke people! Geez...

User avatar
uwb09
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby uwb09 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:29 pm

FYI

e-mailed asking to extend my deposit deadline by a couple days since I will be arriving in the bay area the day my deposit is due and want a chance to take in the campus/city before laying my money down. They denied the request saying there are too many applications waiting on that deadline date for it to be extended, might have to withdraw without ever visiting the campus, shame :?

User avatar
Great Satchmo
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby Great Satchmo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:35 pm

uwb09 wrote:FYI

e-mailed asking to extend my deposit deadline by a couple days since I will be arriving in the bay area the day my deposit is due and want a chance to take in the campus/city before laying my money down. They denied the request saying there are too many applications waiting on that deadline date for it to be extended, might have to withdraw without ever visiting the campus, shame :?


If you're potentially interested in going, I would pay the money and risk it.

Santa Clara as a beautiful campus, at least as a whole. The law buildings are at the least nice, if not very nice (the library is on the old side, but not terrible).

The surrounding area is, in my opinion, beautiful. There are a lot of little downtown areas in surrounding upper-middle class suburbs with a lot of great restaurants and shops. It's not a hub of activity, but you can go south to San Jose and get that, or if you really need to, an hour north to San Francisco.

I was very interested in SCU, but with a bigger scholarship and loving the city, I'm opting for USF over SCU.

joonhp
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby joonhp » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:53 pm

when is the first deadline for deposits for all you initial admits?

User avatar
Great Satchmo
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby Great Satchmo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:54 pm

joonhp wrote:when is the first deadline for deposits for all you initial admits?


April 1st.

User avatar
uwb09
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby uwb09 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:16 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
uwb09 wrote:FYI

e-mailed asking to extend my deposit deadline by a couple days since I will be arriving in the bay area the day my deposit is due and want a chance to take in the campus/city before laying my money down. They denied the request saying there are too many applications waiting on that deadline date for it to be extended, might have to withdraw without ever visiting the campus, shame :?


If you're potentially interested in going, I would pay the money and risk it.

Santa Clara as a beautiful campus, at least as a whole. The law buildings are at the least nice, if not very nice (the library is on the old side, but not terrible).

The surrounding area is, in my opinion, beautiful. There are a lot of little downtown areas in surrounding upper-middle class suburbs with a lot of great restaurants and shops. It's not a hub of activity, but you can go south to San Jose and get that, or if you really need to, an hour north to San Francisco.

I was very interested in SCU, but with a bigger scholarship and loving the city, I'm opting for USF over SCU.

honestly I think i would probably do the same if San Fran ever got around to making a decision on me.

either way, booked my trip for thursday-saturday. guess i'll check out santa clara on thursday, legal scholars day at mcgeorge on friday, then head back down to san fran friday night/saturday to see the city and check out USF (if they let me in)

i'll have a deposit down on Seattle U before all of this, so up to them to blow me away I guess
Last edited by uwb09 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Damon
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:11 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby Damon » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:47 pm

I'm also looking for a facebook page or some kind of association

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby superflush » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:46 am

J Burrito wrote:Is anyone in the SCU Law Class of 2013 Facebook group? I tried to join but the spelling of my name is different on FB than it is on my app, so I think they keep blocking my request to join. And I haven't sent my deposit in yet... I'm just trying to poke people! Geez...


Yea. It is kind of odd that the school controls the group.

amacqueen
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:08 pm

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby amacqueen » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:45 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
joonhp wrote:when is the first deadline for deposits for all you initial admits?


April 1st.


My letter and on-line in status check says April 23 so it may not be the same for everyone.

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby missinglink » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:56 pm

Scholarship letter came over the weekend. 8k with top 25% requirement.

I love the area, but that's a pretty strict requirement for just a little bit of money. Of course I plan on being in the top 25%, but so do the other 75% of people. Hard to predict which group you'll fall into, but the odds are against you. Tough decision but I might have to pass on the school. I'll at least try to schedule a visit as the school is only 45 minutes away.

User avatar
scolinos
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:20 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby scolinos » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:29 pm

Paid 1st deposit last night, visiting campus on Sat. as well as a few apartments in the area.


BTW, anyone know if we will be offered more merit scholarship money in the future once people withdraw?

User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby drdolittle » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:32 pm

scolinos wrote:
BTW, anyone know if we will be offered more merit scholarship money in the future once people withdraw?


+1

At least according to LSN, SCU has done this before...

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby missinglink » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:38 pm

drdolittle wrote:
scolinos wrote:
BTW, anyone know if we will be offered more merit scholarship money in the future once people withdraw?


+1

At least according to LSN, SCU has done this before...

Any precedent for lowering the $ requirement to 1/3 or 1/2? :)

User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby drdolittle » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:44 pm

missinglink wrote:
drdolittle wrote:
scolinos wrote:
BTW, anyone know if we will be offered more merit scholarship money in the future once people withdraw?


+1

At least according to LSN, SCU has done this before...

Any precedent for lowering the $ requirement to 1/3 or 1/2? :)


Not that I can recall, unfortunately, but of course this info might not get reported as clearly as $ amounts.

User avatar
scolinos
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:20 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby scolinos » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:46 pm

drdolittle wrote:
scolinos wrote:
BTW, anyone know if we will be offered more merit scholarship money in the future once people withdraw?


+1

At least according to LSN, SCU has done this before...



Well there's some good news :) Anyone have an idea when we'd hear by?

User avatar
uwb09
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby uwb09 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:18 pm

santa clara continues to make me scratch my head

changed my flight and am missing another day of work to come down the day before my deposit is due so i can come visit the campus, and their admissions office tells me that the last day they will give an official visit is the day BEFORE the day i'm coming, and that they might be able to give me a counselor lead campus tour at noon on the day i'm coming in, but my flight lands at like 10am and campus is 2 hours a way, so that's not happening

do they not want me to come?

User avatar
scolinos
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:20 am

Re: In at Santa Clara!!

Postby scolinos » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:34 pm

uwb09 wrote:santa clara continues to make me scratch my head

changed my flight and am missing another day of work to come down the day before my deposit is due so i can come visit the campus, and their admissions office tells me that the last day they will give an official visit is the day BEFORE the day i'm coming, and that they might be able to give me a counselor lead campus tour at noon on the day i'm coming in, but my flight lands at like 10am and campus is 2 hours a way, so that's not happening

do they not want me to come?



Land in San Jose?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cfitz, hellohalo, hopes&dreams, Houzy, Rio123, shotgunheist and 16 guests